PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone prefer Thorlo tennis socks over...?

BabolatFan
06-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Anyone wears Thorlo tennis socks? I know they cost more than other brands but some folks say they're the best. Any feedback is welcome. Thank you.

Cruzer
06-19-2006, 05:40 PM
I have used Thorlo socks for many years. Here are the pros and cons based on my experience

Pros
1. Better durability than all cotton socks.
2. Socks have padding to provide a little additional cushioning.
3. A variety of sizes available to help get a good fit.

Cons
1. Cost more than other socks.
2. Only come in one color (this applies to the tennis specific socks)
3. The tradeoff of the padding and additional cushioning is that there is less moisture wicking with Thorlos compared to other socks. This may or may not be a concern for some wearers.

Overall they are very good socks and I think they are worth the price you pay.

BabolatFan
06-19-2006, 07:24 PM
I have used Thorlo socks for many years. Here are the pros and cons based on my experience

Pros
1. Better durability than all cotton socks.
2. Socks have padding to provide a little additional cushioning.
3. A variety of sizes available to help get a good fit.

Cons
1. Cost more than other socks.
2. Only come in one color (this applies to the tennis specific socks)
3. The tradeoff of the padding and additional cushioning is that there is less moisture wicking with Thorlos compared to other socks. This may or may not be a concern for some wearers.

Overall they are very good socks and I think they are worth the price you pay.

Cool. Thx for your input!

tonysk83
06-19-2006, 07:41 PM
I am not a big fan of them, they are too thick for me, feel like I have wool socks on. I definitely prefer Under Armour socks, much better IMO.

DANMAN
06-19-2006, 08:29 PM
They were thick which resulted in them soaking up all of the sweat which resulted in my foot squishing and sliding in my shoes which led to broken toe nails. Not a pleasurable experience.

BabolatFan
06-20-2006, 07:16 AM
They were thick which resulted in them soaking up all of the sweat which resulted in my foot squishing and sliding in my shoes which led to broken toe nails. Not a pleasurable experience.

Maybe you need to clip your toenails more often? :p No but I see what you're saying. Which would be the next best thing to Thorlo then?

Ronaldo
06-20-2006, 07:50 AM
Worn Thorlo socks for the past 10 yrs. The tennis crew socks with protection level 2 are a bit thinner and easier to wear, not as bulky. But they don't last long.
The Euro socks are great and the Wigwam InGenius and Ultimax socks are awesome. Not as thick or bulky as Thorlo.

BreakPoint
06-20-2006, 11:44 AM
I bought a couple dozen pairs of Thorlo socks a while back. BIG mistake for me! Although they are comfortable and well cushioned, they are so thick that they may make your shoes feel too tight and uncomfortable. You may need to go up a 1/2 size in your shoes. But the worst part for me is that they are very slippery and the bottoms tend to slide over the insoles inside your shoes which causes your toes to slam into the front of your shoes when you make a sudden stop. Ive jammed my toes so many times and have lots of black and blue toes and toenails from all the sliding using Thorlos.

I've also found that Thorlos wear out very quicky in the area on the top of your big toe. Most of my pairs are almost threadbare in that area and are about to devleop holes after not all that many wearings. This problem is much worse than any other socks that I own regardless of the materials used. It could be that the thickness makes them rub against the tops of the uppers more which makes them wear out faster, and of course, all the sliding causes more rubbing than usual.

Too bad, as they are extremely comfy when you put them on and I thought I liked them when I first got them (that's why I bought so many pairs), but then came all the sliding and toe jamming. :(

BabolatFan
06-20-2006, 01:03 PM
I bought a couple dozen pairs of Thorlo socks a while back. BIG mistake for me! Although they are comfortable and well cushioned, they are so thick that they may make your shoes feel too tight and uncomfortable. You may need to go up a 1/2 size in your shoes. But the worst part for me is that they are very slippery and the bottoms tend to slide over the insoles inside your shoes which causes your toes to slam into the front of your shoes when you make a sudden stop. I'm jammed my toes so many times and have lots of black and blue toes and toenails from all the sliding using Thorlos.

I've also found that Thorlos wear out very quicky in the area on the top of your big toe. Most of my pairs are almost threadbare in that area and are about to devleop holes after not all that many wearings. This problem is much worse than any other socks that I own regardless of the materials used. It could be that the thickness makes them rub against the tops of the uppers more which makes them wear out faster, and of course, all the sliding causes more rubbing than usual.

Too bad, as they are extremely comfy when you put them on and I thought I liked them when I first got them (that's why I bought so many pairs), but then came all the sliding and toe jamming. :(

Thx for another good feedback. Yeah I was wondering about their thickness too especially in the heat. Maybe I'll just buy one pair and see it for myself. Rightnow, I wear double socks. 1/4 socks and crew socks over them.

DANMAN
06-20-2006, 02:03 PM
I got these Gold Toe polyester socks at Sam's Club and have never looked back. They are superbly cushioned, but are thin enough and dry well enough. They are roll top socks (practically no show).

mctennis
07-11-2006, 04:00 PM
I use WigWam cotten socks. I use to use Thorlo'sbut I thought they were too slick and my feet seemed to move in my shoes.I know my feet sweat when I play but I've never had blisters with cotton socks but I did with Thorlo's.

Joe Average
07-11-2006, 04:19 PM
They now come two thinner sizes. I guess people have been complaining. I guess the question is, if they're not super-thick, can you really call them Thorlos? I still wear Thorlos, mostly out of habit and because I'm too lazy, and simply don't want to waste time looking for anything better. But if you are going to get the thick Thorlos, be prepared to go up 1/2 shoe size. If you already own shoes that fit snugly, you probably won't be able to wear the Thorlos. The cushioning on Thorlos are great. So if your shoes aren't giving you enough cushioning, the Thorlos should make up the difference. I will be trying out the mid-sized Thorlos this weekend. But just looking at them ... they just seem so ordinary.

looseswing
07-11-2006, 07:39 PM
I just get these Hanes socks. They are not too thick but they are still very comfortable.

rasajadad
07-12-2006, 03:19 AM
I used Thorlos for years. My feet didn't like them. Tennis toe, and bunions.)Then, I went to a thinner sock, Ultimax. Much better shoe fit. No more crowded toe box. My feet are less sweaty. I want to try the Euros as I ski with their socks, but I bought 6 pairs of the Ultimax's three years ago and they don't show any sign of wearing out.

Ronaldo
07-12-2006, 07:31 AM
I used Thorlos for years. My feet didn't like them. Tennis toe, and bunions.)Then, I went to a thinner sock, Ultimax. Much better shoe fit. No more crowded toe box. My feet are less sweaty. I want to try the Euros as I ski with their socks, but I bought 6 pairs of the Ultimax's three years ago and they don't show any sign of wearing out.
Gotta love those Wigwam socks, even the cotton last forever.

10sstringman
07-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Thorlos suck. You're much better off getting a pair of socks made from a performance synthetic like CoolMax, Dri-Fit, etc and the X-Static polymer. Your feet will stay drier, you'll get less blisters and the X-Static kills all microbes.

tennisboy87
07-12-2006, 01:20 PM
I've been using Thorlos for a long time. I really like them. They are really comfortable, and they protect and cushion my feet very well.

JerodT
07-12-2006, 02:05 PM
I find hem to be too thick for me. The extra padding is annoying and gets uncomfortable.

Adidas has a sock that has a perfect amount f padding. I have to look up the exact name. I got a pair from ********. The other sock I wear are under armour. I have been wearing no-show & ankle cuts the past year.

PBODY99
07-12-2006, 06:34 PM
I used them in cool conditions only, now if they made a wicking Thor_lo ....:cool:

slewisoh
07-12-2006, 09:28 PM
I find the Thorlos fit my feet better than other brands. Euro socks were just too big, even though I ordered the correct size. Too much extra fabric in the toe box...

My feet actually shrink in the summer (subject of another post) so between my new orthotics and the Thorlos, my shoes are fitting properly again.

I agree with Breakpoint though, they seem to wear out faster than they used to. Mine wear first at the ball of the foot. I don't have any sliding around or toe jambing problems, but I wonder how much can be attributed to slippery socks as opposed to shoes not fitting properly?

yoga
07-14-2006, 05:00 PM
i find thorlos the best sock for tennis. kinda miss those days when tennis warehouse sold them for 5.99 a pair + buy 6 get 1 free..

BreakPoint
07-14-2006, 05:33 PM
I agree with Breakpoint though, they seem to wear out faster than they used to. Mine wear first at the ball of the foot. I don't have any sliding around or toe jambing problems, but I wonder how much can be attributed to slippery socks as opposed to shoes not fitting properly?

It's definitely the Thorlos being too slippery. When I switch to a THINNER sock and wear the same pair of shoes, the sliding and toe jamming problems disappear. If the shoes didn't fit, you would think that a thinner sock would leave even more room inside the shoe which would cause even more sliding around and toe jamming. But nope, the opposite actually occurs, I get LESS sliding and jamming. The bottoms of the Thorlos are just too slippery (even though they fit my feet great) and I think they might be so thick that they "shear" on themselves, if you know what I mean. It's like if you're standing on a thick sheet of foam and you start to wiggle around and feel off-balance. That's the foam compressing and sliding around or "shearing" on itself. That's the sensation I get with Thorlos. As I said, too bad, as they are indeed very comfy (as long as you're not stopping suddenly).

limitup
07-14-2006, 07:31 PM
I found that with proper fitting shoes I don't get any sliding at all. In fact, if your shoes fit properly how CAN your feet move around inside your shoe? That's not supposed to happen with properly fitting shoes.

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy Thorlos online? I want to buy about 10 more pairs, but they are like $12 retail locally which is insane.

yoga
07-14-2006, 07:32 PM
It's definitely the Thorlos being too slippery. When I switch to a THINNER sock and wear the same pair of shoes, the sliding and toe jamming problems disappear. If the shoes didn't fit, you would think that a thinner sock would leave even more room inside the shoe which would cause even more sliding around and toe jamming. But nope, the opposite actually occurs, I get LESS sliding and jamming. The bottoms of the Thorlos are just too slippery (even though they fit my feet great) and I think they might be so thick that they "shear" on themselves, if you know what I mean. It's like if you're standing on a thick sheet of foam and you start to wiggle around and feel off-balance. That's the foam compressing and sliding around or "shearing" on itself. That's the sensation I get with Thorlos. As I said, too bad, as they are indeed very comfy (as long as you're not stopping suddenly).

hmm, it was precisely when i switched to a thinner sock that the sliding and toe jamming would occur. by the way, other factors that we ought to consider r what kinda insole used, and the shoe and its size as well

BreakPoint
07-14-2006, 10:22 PM
I found that with proper fitting shoes I don't get any sliding at all. In fact, if your shoes fit properly how CAN your feet move around inside your shoe? That's not supposed to happen with properly fitting shoes.

When you put on your proper fitting shoes, do your toes touch the front of the inside of the shoes? I hope not. There should be a small gap of air space in the front of your shoes when they fit properly or else you'd be scrapping your toes against the inside of the front of your shoes everytime you walked and they would feel too tight.

When your socks are too slippery, your toes slam into the inside of the front of your shoes whenever you stop running abruptly, which happens often in tennis. This is caused by both the bottom of the socks sliding over the top of the insoles inside your shoes and from your feet sliding inside the socks.

Try this test: Put on your tennis shoes. Now kick the back end/heel of the shoes against the ground to make sure the back of your heel is snug against the inside back of the shoe. Now pinch the front of your shoes to see how much air space there is in front of where your toes end. There should be at least a half inch of air space between the front of your shoes and your toes for a proper fit.

limitup
07-14-2006, 10:40 PM
I understand what a toe box is, but with properly fitting shoes your feet shouldn't move much at all. With properly fitting shoes there's no way in heck your toes should slide to the front of your shoe, regardless of what socks you're wearing. Many, many tennis players - myself included - love Thorlos socks. So obviously sliding isn't a problem for everyone. I propose it's a problem for people with improperly fitting shoes. How else would you explain it?

BreakPoint
07-14-2006, 10:56 PM
My feet don't move inside my shoes when I'm walking or running. It's only when I stop abruptly and the soles of the shoes grip the court but the momentum causes my feet to keep moving into that air gap in the front of my shoes. Like when you hit the brakes hard in your car and your body thrusts forward. If my shoes don't fit properly, then how do you explain the sliding problem disappearing when I switch to thinner socks (and wear the same shoes)? BTW, lots of people here have reported the sliding problem with Thorlos in the past, not just me, so it's a common problem. Even, Don, the President of TW had the same problem and switched away from Thorlos.

limitup
07-14-2006, 11:00 PM
Perhaps your shoes don't fit as well as they could? From what I can tell just as many people like them as those that don't. Considering most people don't pay enough attention to shoes, that explains why people have problems with the Thorlos socks (at least to me).

TREX
07-15-2006, 10:08 AM
have a toenail that will take 3 more months to grow out because of them. They used to be the Cat's Meow but the sliding/slick problem is not worth the extra padding when they are dry.

Thiink I will try the WigWam Ingenius or Ultimax. Any sugesstions on styles?

Ronaldo
07-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Wear the Ultimax Cool-Lite Crew in Large, fits 9-12, snug fit but works well. Wear a 11-11 1/2 shoe.

limitup
07-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Is there anywhere online that has these types of "high end" socks at decent prices, or are they all $10+ everywhere?

mctennis
07-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Aman on your quote Ronaldo. I actually have some WigWam socks I used playing softball 20 years ago and I still have some left.They are still good enough to use. I've gone through plenty of other socks before wearing out the WigWam socks.

TREX
07-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Perhaps your shoes don't fit as well as they could? From what I can tell just as many people like them as those that don't. Considering most people don't pay enough attention to shoes, that explains why people have problems with the Thorlos socks (at least to me).

then Bill Ray. I have the same experience as Breakpoint and others. The problem STOPPED when I went to WRIGHTSOCKS and WIGWAMS. I cant afford to screw around with Thorlos on the court. My feet are too valuable. They DO SLIDE.

Like Breakpoint TRIED to tell you if fit were a problem then SMALLER?THINNER socks SHOULD be worse but they arent. Thorlos were once good socks but their thickness is a problem for people that sweat and actually run hard and stop.

Have a good day.

limitup
07-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Whatever moron. #1 Thorlos socks are no thicker than Wigwams. Then again you probably didn't know Thorlos comes in different thicknesses, etc. because you have no clue what you're talking about.

TREX
07-20-2006, 05:54 AM
Whatever moron. #1 Thorlos socks are no thicker than Wigwams. Then again you probably didn't know Thorlos comes in different thicknesses, etc. because you have no clue what you're talking about.

the computer again.

I know more about Thorlo's than most. I used to like them but their slickness has cost me and others.

Keep on wearing em though. You probably dont sweat muc.

Ronaldo
07-20-2006, 07:33 AM
Actually used to buy Thor-Los from the factory outlet where I-40 and I-77 meet in NC. Have several older pairs of socks that were thin around the arch, padded below the laces, with extra padding in the toe, forefoot, and heel. My bugaboo was the fit with shoes that have small toeboxes and primarily how quickly the socks wore threadbare at the bottom. The padding/cushioning also gets crushed after repeated use. Still bought a dozen pr last year.

Marat Safinator
07-20-2006, 08:26 AM
I put on any socks, It makes no difference to me. Its not going to make me hit the ball better. rsrsrs

Ronaldo
07-20-2006, 09:24 AM
I put on any socks, It makes no difference to me. Its not going to make me hit the ball better. rsrsrs
Think twice about that statement when you fight an opponent and blisters

BreakPoint
07-20-2006, 10:45 AM
I also thought I liked Thorlos because they are indeed comfortable. I even stocked up and bought like 60 pairs! Then I started getting the sliding and jammed/bruised toes problems. After putting up with it for almost a year, I finally said enough is enough and got rid of all of my unworn pairs of Thorlos that I had stocked up in my closet.

AR15
07-20-2006, 10:51 AM
I even stocked up and bought like 60 pairs!

What does "like" 60 pairs mean?

BreakPoint
07-20-2006, 10:57 AM
What does "like" 60 pairs mean?

That means that I bought so many pairs (not all bought at the same time) that my closet was stuffed so full of them that I lost track of how many pairs I actually had in there. ;)