PDA

View Full Version : Agassi to win Wimbledon: will call it a career....

VGP
06-20-2006, 08:43 AM
I'd agree with him winning Wimbledon and then calling it quits, like his former contemporary, Sampras.....

.....but if he doesn't?

Will he subject himself to the summer hardcourt season?

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411749/756817

Tchocky
06-20-2006, 08:51 AM
I think Agassi has a good chance as well. I know the odds are against him but I just think he's going to do it. I would encourage all Agassi fans to bet large on Andre. We can all get rich when he wins.

Shabazza
06-20-2006, 09:23 AM
I think Agassi has a good chance as well. I know the odds are against him but I just think he's going to do it. I would encourage all Agassi fans to bet large on Andre. We can all get rich when he wins.
I bet you won't bet on Agassi to win Wimbledon.
Agassi has NOT a good chance, anything else is delusional.

tnig469
06-20-2006, 11:27 AM
I honestly wish Agassi would stay for the summer hardcourt season! I still wanting him to go out with the US Open.......

MaxT
06-20-2006, 11:34 AM
He was lucky for the first Wimbledon, as was for the French. He can't win it again.

He has more chance at the U.S. Open. When rested he is the second best. Sadly he hasn't beaten the the first best, in how many, 8 attempts?

He has to be far luckier than Sampras to win the one last slam.

Dan007
06-20-2006, 11:52 AM
I honestly wish Agassi would stay for the summer hardcourt season! I still wanting him to go out with the US Open.......

Yeah, Andre always plays well during the summer hardcourt season and US Open.

hoosierbr
06-20-2006, 11:56 AM
I wouldn't call him the favorite by a mile but besides Fed there's a handful of players who could win it. Agassi is certainly among them.

Even if he were to win I doubt he'd retire on the spot. I'd bet he'd take one last shot at the Open. Last year he said that if he won the Open that would only motivate him to keep going and try for another.

baseliner
06-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Agassi cannot and will not win Wimbledon. His age precludes him from winning 7 straight matches over 2 weeks. On any given day in one match he can prevail. His body will not hold up over the course of a grand slam.

killer
06-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Hmm...Agassi seemed to hold up just fine last fall at the USO over 2 weeks, 7 matches (2 or 3 of which were five-setters). He has had a bad ankle injury on top of the back problems this year granted, but he's one guy you can never count out of a major.

Alexandros
06-20-2006, 05:11 PM
Few people can stand toe to toe with Agassi from the baseline on faster courts, so I'd say he has as good a chance as anyone after Federer. Although the title of this thread is misleading since Agassi didn't mention anything about retiring right after if he were to win Wimbledon

superman1
06-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Never count this guy out. You have to be absolutely clueless to say that he's too old because they've been saying that for years and he's proven that wrong countless times. As long as he's healthy and he gets some confidence at Boodles (just won his first match there 6-4 6-4 against Jamie Baker) he'll be one of the top 5 contenders. I really hope that at the very least he can make a deep run. Wimbledon was his first Slam and it's the one that he's played the least, so it would be something special if he could win it.

But I figure someone else will have to take out Federer for him. He's not too old to kick 99% of the ATP's ***, but you have to be able to cover the court fully to beat Federer.

VGP
06-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Few people can stand toe to toe with Agassi from the baseline on faster courts, so I'd say he has as good a chance as anyone after Federer. Although the title of this thread is misleading since Agassi didn't mention anything about retiring right after if he were to win Wimbledon

I see what you mean, but the title of the article was "Agassi eyes golden finale."

I assumed that the "finale" refers to a possible retirement.

gully
06-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Agassi cannot and will not win Wimbledon. His age precludes him from winning 7 straight matches over 2 weeks. On any given day in one match he can prevail. His body will not hold up over the course of a grand slam.
In some ways, the fact that he'd have a day off between matches is to his advantage, and I don't think the slam format is necessarily grueling. Given a clean bill of health, a five-set match or greuling baseline exchanges aren't going to trouble him, but at his age, the chance that he wakes up stiff on any given day is a bigger problem. (And delays that stack the schedule will work against him, too.)

I agree that he won't win, but that's an easy prediction. He has almost no matchplay this year, and that can hurt.

Sure would like him to prove me wrong, though!

How's that exo going for him this week?

hackerman
06-20-2006, 06:08 PM
You guys are crazy! Jan Michael Gambill will win it all!

gully
06-20-2006, 06:09 PM
BTW, where will he be seeded? With no grass results since 03, the formula will ding him, won't it? If he's at what --20? -- after last week, will he drop a few spots further?

Tennis_Monk
06-20-2006, 08:14 PM
If Agassi can win it, Juan Carlos Ferrero can win it as well.
Agassi , fitness issues aside, is not playing his best tennis.

Alexandros
06-20-2006, 10:04 PM
If Agassi can win it, Juan Carlos Ferrero can win it as well.
Agassi , fitness issues aside, is not playing his best tennis.

Assuming a decent draw he can play himself into form. He is easily one of the most cleanest ball strikers ever, and such styles of play coupled with his extensive experience means that he typically doesn't need THAT much match play to get his groove going.

superman1
06-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Yeah, and how do you know he's not playing his best? He lost to Henman (who was playing quite well), but he just won 4 and 4 against some Scot, and he has a few more matches at Boodles to warm himself up. He's not a guy that needs to get a huge rhythm going. He has enough experience to be able to just pick up the racquet and go to work, especially in a Grand Slam which is best out of 5.

Matthew
06-21-2006, 12:19 AM
I think that, barring injury, you can count on Andre being at the USO. He doesn't stand a chance at winning Wimbledon, atleast not if he has to play Federer at some point.

I think he will play one or two touraments leading up the USO but I feel this might be the last year we see Andre on the tour, grand slam or not.

diegaa
06-21-2006, 12:26 AM
Sadly, Andre doesnt have a chance. He is no match up to Federer in the greenies, just to say something that everybody will agree with.
IMO, andre is starting to feel the lack of competition (and his age), you can tell after the match with henman.

hoosierbr
06-21-2006, 12:41 AM
I wouldn't say it's a lack of competition - he says that's a big part of what keeps him going. It's more frustration. Injuries limited his training in the off season and match play this year so he has yet to work into a comfortable groove. Which is why he's playing an exhibition this week. What he needs is a quality win and some good tennis under his belt to get it going again. Once he does he can still be a threat to anybody including Federer. Maybe not on grass but during the summer swing and the Open for sure.

framebreaker
06-21-2006, 07:04 PM
I bet you won't bet on Agassi to win Wimbledon.
Agassi has NOT a good chance, anything else is delusional.
???
excuse me. wasn't it agassi who was in the us open final last year??
how can you say that he hasn't any chance on a fast court this year?

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-21-2006, 07:48 PM
If Andre wins Wimby it would be the perfect sendoff, even though I would like to see him defend his US open final last year. I don't see him getting past the quarters this year though, so he should play more during the summer.

siber222000
06-21-2006, 07:51 PM
You guys are crazy! Jan Michael Gambill will win it all!
maybe ur crazy =_=

HotCarl
06-22-2006, 09:00 AM
Gambill is the biggest ****** on tour. I'm glad he sucks even more now. That's what he gets for having a two handed forehand (It fits Santoro's game, not Gambill's)

Matthew
06-22-2006, 09:10 AM
???
excuse me. wasn't it agassi who was in the us open final last year??
how can you say that he hasn't any chance on a fast court this year?

A year is a very long time. It was said earlier that injuries have hindered more than just his match play, but his training and preparation, and I think that is true. Andre is very much a tactition and I'm sure he is upset that he isn't able to prepare as well as he would like for bigger tournaments. Its a shame that if it weren't for the injuries, he truly is still a contender at any tournament off clay. His game still holds up against anyone and I hope he can get healthy and fit enough for the USO this year. Watching the USO last year was about as much fun I have had watching a GS.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Agassi has no chance to even take a set off Federer on grass at this point in time, the Federer of Halle wont show up at Wimbledon remember. If Agassi avoids Federer somehow(Roger would probably have to injure himself)the rest of the field is pretty open this year.

Moose Malloy
06-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Andre Agassi's Wimbledon preparations hit another hitch when he was beaten by Russian Mikhail Youzhny at the Boodles Challenge in Stoke Park.
The former world number one went down 3-6 6-7 (2-7) to the Russian, who beat defending champion Fernando Gonzalez in his opening match.

Agassi also lost in the first round of Queen's last week by Tim Henman.

But after winning his first match at the exhibition event, Agassi will now play a third-place play-off match.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/5107950.stm