PDA

View Full Version : Should I chop my Graphite Chang OS down?

LAW2
07-08-2004, 07:02 PM
I have been playing with this racquet for several years and feel as if I have exhausted its capabilities with my limited abilities. I am a 3.0, 2HBH, w/an all court game. I love coming to the net and play both singles and doubles. Gaines has given me advice in the past on strings, which was spot on. I know he used to play with Changs that were cut down. Nobody makes a 28" racquet that is available anymore. I get the impression longer racquets are not the way to go, but all of a sudden the POG longbody is the hot topic, which adds to my confusion. I am considering cutting off only half an inch. I am looking for more depth and power on my ground stokes and serves and a quicker racquet at net (at times I have use my left hand on the throat of the racquet to manuver it at net).

What are the pros/cons you can think of if I were to go through with this?

What do you think the new weight characteristics would be?

If you still feel like responding are there any racquets currently in production that you would recommend? I like a thin beam, HL, open pattern racquet.

Thanks to anyone who responds.

kreative
07-09-2004, 01:02 AM
chopping it down would make it more manueverable, which would probably help you most on volleys. it would be slightly more head heavy thou due to the lost weight, but you could add lead back into the handle. cons are you lost that extra 0.5" of leverage for serves, reach, etc.

Gaines Hillix
07-09-2004, 05:08 PM
LAW2, I cut down my Chang's by 1/2" and then added 6 grams of weight split between 3/9 in the hoop and 6 grams inside the handle. I thought they played very nice. However, what you gain in maneuverability at net, you'll lose on your serve and ground strokes. I think the 27 1/2" length is a good compromise though. Beware, cutting them off will probably effect their resale value. If you have a friend that has a Triple Threat Graphite OS you might ask them to let you hit with it before you cut off the Changs. It is basically the same configuration as a cutdown Chang.

LAW2
07-12-2004, 07:00 AM
Back to the top.