PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please tell me why Federer can't win on clay?

tennisaddict07
06-21-2006, 03:44 AM
I'm a huge Federer supporter, a die-hard fan. But i get really frustrated everytime he loses on clay. What exactly is the problem? I think he truly improved his game at this years FO and i think that Nadal's game is very predictable. So why can't Federer pick this up?:confused:

Rhino
06-21-2006, 03:52 AM
it's called Nadal

MaxT
06-21-2006, 05:21 AM
What do you mean? He has won a lot on clay, just not French. Then it is not automatic everyone should win French. And he is getting there.

Aykhan Mammadov
06-21-2006, 05:34 AM
I'm also big fan of this genius of tennis.

U are not right that he can't win on clay. The matter is that he wins everybody on clay but loses only to Nadal, otherwise how could he reach the final of FO ?

And the fact above proves that the reason is not clay. The reason is that he doesn't believe he can win just Nadal and he starts make hundreds of mistakes which he doesn't do in matches against other players. This is called complex of Nadal.

I call his ubnormal worrying and psychological condition in matches against Nadal as trembling, he trembles.

It is why he needs good psychologcal preparation instead of tennis preparation. I suggested him my help for free.

Rataplan
06-21-2006, 05:40 AM
First of all, he's reached the final of every clay court event he entered this season. That's a fantastic result.

Secondly (and with all due respect): my guess is that it will be easier to understand if you look at the games of both men at the same time, if you want to understand it instead of focussing on one man.

For example, I see a lot of people being annoyed with Federer because his backhand broke down as if that's only something Roger can influence.
If you pay attention, you will notice that Nadal did a couple of things to make that backhand break down and Roger didn't find an answer to prevent that from happening.
One of the reasons why his backhand broke down during the FO final was the heat: the hot weather makes Rafael Nadal's topspin even more vicious on clay, making his shots bounce up even higher and Roger had to return it at shoulder height or even higher time and time again with his one-handed backhand.

To say that Roger simply makes so many errors against Nadal because of some sort of complex or fear is to not understand the real reason behind it in my humble opinion. Roger is not the only player in this "rivalry". Rafael Nadal does certain things out there to push him into those errors.
Because of Nadal's excellent defensive skills on clay, Roger needs to take risks, needs to be almost perfect during an entire match, he needs a lot of patience. Roger makes a lot of mistakes because of the way Nadal plays him.

rod99
06-21-2006, 06:00 AM
what are you talking about? he's the 2nd best clay court player in the world. i consider that "winning on clay." he loses to nadal b/c his backhand is exploited. he doesn't handle the high balls to the backhand very well (many players like gaudio, ljubicic, gasquet handle it much better) and ends up making way too many errors.

theace21
06-21-2006, 06:35 AM
it's called Nadal
Nice simple answer - NADAL !!!

Next post, why can't Nadal when on grass - answer Federer!!!

ksbh
06-21-2006, 06:57 AM
Wrong ...

why can't Nadal when on grass - answer Federer, Hewitt, Blake, Roddick ....

sotua
06-21-2006, 07:32 AM
I'm a huge Federer supporter, a die-hard fan. But i get really frustrated everytime he loses on clay. What exactly is the problem? I think he truly improved his game at this years FO and i think that Nadal's game is very predictable. So why can't Federer pick this up?:confused:

Nadal is what happens.

It's predictable, sure - but it also is a frikkin steamroller. Predicting it doesn't save you from getting caught in the machine.

And another point - Federer's concentration wanders from time to time. With Nadal, you can't afford to do that. Give him an inch and he'll take a mile.

(I'm a Federer fan, but I'm increasingly more and more awed by Nadal's fire and intensity)

matchpoint
06-21-2006, 12:20 PM
It is why he needs good psychologcal preparation instead of tennis preparation. I suggested him my help for free.

Aykhan,

You can't possibly help Federer because you have not won any grand slam tournament, at least that what you said.

Meanwhile I don't believe this opinion much. It is not possible to teach mathematics if u don't know it yourself. Yes, u can support a player, u can relax him psychologically, u can be his friend, but if u never reached the final or close, if u are not a great player yrself how and what will u advise a player ?

All your opinion about Federer are wrong because you never reach the final or close what will u advise a player? :mrgreen:

Aykhan Mammadov
06-21-2006, 12:27 PM
First of all, he's reached the final of every clay court event he entered this season. That's a fantastic result.

Secondly (and with all due respect): my guess is that it will be easier to understand if you look at the games of both men at the same time, if you want to understand it instead of focussing on one man.

For example, I see a lot of people being annoyed with Federer because his backhand broke down as if that's only something Roger can influence.
If you pay attention, you will notice that Nadal did a couple of things to make that backhand break down and Roger didn't find an answer to prevent that from happening.
One of the reasons why his backhand broke down during the FO final was the heat: the hot weather makes Rafael Nadal's topspin even more vicious on clay, making his shots bounce up even higher and Roger had to return it at shoulder height or even higher time and time again with his one-handed backhand.

To say that Roger simply makes so many errors against Nadal because of some sort of complex or fear is to not understand the real reason behind it in my humble opinion. Roger is not the only player in this "rivalry". Rafael Nadal does certain things out there to push him into those errors.
Because of Nadal's excellent defensive skills on clay, Roger needs to take risks, needs to be almost perfect during an entire match, he needs a lot of patience. Roger makes a lot of mistakes because of the way Nadal plays him.

I can't agree with this. First of all in tennis all strokes are either forehand or backhand, even overheads and drop-shots can be classified as f. or b..( if not count strokes made by edges of a racquet). It means backhand is almost 50% of the game, and 1-st racquet can't have weak backhand, otherwise he can't be best today.

Then, if what u think is true, then how to explain that in 1-st set he crashed Nadal 6:1, and then suddenly started making a lot of errors ? Will u state that during 1-st set Nadal didn't break his backhand, but then he did ?

Moose Malloy
06-21-2006, 12:43 PM
Then, if what u think is true, then how to explain that in 1-st set he crashed Nadal 6:1,

Nadal played very poorly in that 1st set, he was very nervous, made a lot of errors. Fed really didn't do much to win that 1st set, Nadal gave it to him. After that set he calmed down & he took control. Fed never even got to break point again until late in the 4th set.
Its absurd to think that the only reason Nadal beats Federer is mental.

The tennis guy
06-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Federer plays a higher risk game than Nadal on clay. More often than not, high risk game is not rewarded on slow surfaces unless the high risk player is so much better. In this case, Federer is not better on clay than Nadal. Very simple.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
06-21-2006, 02:28 PM

Federer doesnt lose on clay, and the very rare time he does, he loses to nadal. So the REAL question is, why does federer keep losing to nadal?
answer: roids.

Chadwixx
06-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Federer doesnt lose on clay, and the very rare time he does, he loses to nadal. So the REAL question is, why does federer keep losing to nadal?
answer: roids.

Steriods are from the 90's. Guys now adays are using hgh. Untraceable with current testing. If they really wanted to crack down on preformance enhancing drugs they would draw blood a few times a year. But why would they want todo that? They would discredit their own sport and lose lots of viewers. Its in their best interest to continue with the pee test for drugs from the 90's.

omniexist
06-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Steriods are from the 90's. Guys now adays are using hgh. Untraceable with current testing. If they really wanted to crack down on preformance enhancing drugs they would draw blood a few times a year. But why would they want todo that? They would discredit their own sport and lose lots of viewers. Its in their best interest to continue with the pee test for drugs from the 90's.

Well said. You might be on to something.

fastdunn
06-21-2006, 03:10 PM

Well, he may have improved his clay game in general but
apparently not his 1 handed backhand. It failed like
a club player against Nadal at the final.

The Pusher Terminator
06-21-2006, 03:26 PM
I said it a year and a half ago and I will say it again:

TO WIN THE FRNECH YOU MUST BE A PURE BASELINER.

Fed is an all courter and very few allcourters have ever won the French. Nastase and Laver are the only two in recent history.Noah was a serve and volleyer...and thats it!!!! So the odds are against Fed in a big way...especially when the greatest clay court player to ever play the sport is also on the tour!

Speak4FedEX
06-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Hello loyal supporter,

You know, winning is not everything. Look at the progress that I have made this year on the clay. I only lost matches to only person couple of times but I was able to make it very late of all my rounds.

We are all not perfect and things doesnt always go the way we want. I believe I already posted in the other forum, what happened the night before my game in FO final.

Anyways, I appreciate the nice fans and keep those fan letters coming. Mirka usually brings piles of them for me to read between tournaments. Its a good motivation tool.

I still think I had a very good clay court season. next year, I will comeout even stronger and work even harder to be at my best. For some reason, things werent going my way. I completely lost my backhand after the first set and opponent was able to capitalize on many occasions from unforced errors.

Well, I did win a grass tourney in Germany few days ago. I love being in london and looking forwards to getting some action on the green.

Sincerely to all the Fed. fans,
Federer

p.s. I promise I wont choke on the green like Mickelson.

fastdunn
06-21-2006, 04:33 PM
I said it a year and a half ago and I will say it again:

TO WIN THE FRNECH YOU MUST BE A PURE BASELINER.

Fed is an all courter and very few allcourters have ever won the French. Nastase and Laver are the only two in recent history.Noah was a serve and volleyer...and thats it!!!! So the odds are against Fed in a big way...especially when the greatest clay court player to ever play the sport is also on the tour!

I think Fed is a baseliner basically. Who is not these days?
The mother(?) of all baseliner, Borg, even volleyed more than Federer, right?

Tony Jaa
06-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Federer suck. Nadal own him and he suck now for past 3 years against him. If I play Nadal 7 time, I beat Nadal 7 time especially for being number 1 in the world. Federer have no excuse to keep losing.

superman1
06-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Federer is a baseliner. He can move all around the court but he still does most of his work from the baseline. He's the second best player on clay so give the guy a break. The fact that he can't beat Nadal just shows that he's still not quite the genius he's made out to be. Maybe one day he'll get to the point where he can wield his racquet like Thor and make Sampras look like an amateur, he has the potential and he still has many more years.

Chang
06-23-2006, 03:02 AM

Not just Federer.

wyutani
06-23-2006, 05:08 AM
Not just Federer.

ANCIC!!!