PDA

View Full Version : What pro holds the record for highest number of tournaments...

Duzza
06-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Being number 1 seed. Is there a record? I reckon it would be interesting...

OrangeOne
06-21-2006, 08:13 AM
Being number 1 seed. Is there a record? I reckon it would be interesting...

Well, given that Sampras, Lendl & Connors are by far and away the longest at number 1, it'd have to be one of those (see stats below from tennis28.com, a site that I'm liking more and more :)).

It'd probably be line-ball between Connors & Lendl, as Sampras played less than either of them (evidenced by the many fewer titles despite the longer period at number 1). It may well have been Connors, given he indeed won more often than Lendl, but then again maybe not.

I'm sure someone could could the number of tournaments they entered while number 1, the data is certainly all on atptennis.com, but I'm not volunteering ;)

** Titles ** (thanks atptennis.com)
94 - Lendl
105 - Connors
64 - Sampras

** Ranking Weeks ** (thanks tennis28.com)
286 Pete Sampras USA 11
270 Ivan Lendl CZE 8
268 Jimmy Connors USA 9
170 John McEnroe USA 14
124 Roger Federer SUI 1

Ivanišević
06-21-2006, 12:52 PM
i think it's jimmy connors

Moose Malloy
06-21-2006, 01:04 PM
This link has the #1 for all slams in the open era. Sampras leads the list, with 23 times as #1 seed.
Surprisingly Connors was #1 seed only 9 times.

http://www.tennis28.com/slams/oneseeds_summary.html

Duzza
06-21-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm surprised Hewitt was number 1 seed so many slams

LowProfile
06-21-2006, 07:34 PM
This link has the #1 for all slams in the open era. Sampras leads the list, with 23 times as #1 seed.
Surprisingly Connors was #1 seed only 9 times.

This makes sense. Sampras didn't play many minor tournaments because he saved himself for the only ones that mattered in his opinion, the majors. Connors boycotted the French for a number of years. Whats odd is that Johnny Mac was never seeded first at the Australian Open. I wonder why that is.

LttlElvis
06-21-2006, 08:17 PM
McEnroe never was seeded # 1 at the Australian Open because he never played there during the top of his game. At the time, the Australian Open was in December. Many of the top pros would forego the tournament because it lost its prestige and the scheduling was bad. It was very close to the Masters Finals in Madison Square Garden. Now that was an exciting tournament.

They finally moved the Australian Open to January. This forced the elite pros to play giving them a chance to win a calendar slam. With the tourney in January, the top pros had to enter now to give themselves a chance for the record.

If my memory serves me correctly, one person hurt by this move was Martina Navratilova. She actually won 6 grand slams in a row, yet never won a calendar slam. Correct me if I am wrong, but they moved the Australian during her run. In any case, winning 6 slams in a row must be one of the most impressive streaks ever.

whistleway
06-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Wow. the top seed has won 1/3rd of all the slams played in the open era.

That is quite a big number given that 128 players play over 2 weeks on a knockout format.

superman1
06-22-2006, 01:42 AM
Federer is so amazing but when you compare him to Sampras you realize that he still has a LONG way to go to reach those kinds of stats.

luishcorreia
06-22-2006, 08:07 AM
Tournament Victories you have

Connors 105
Lendl 94
Mcenroe 77

If you count Mac Singles and Doubles, he's the greatest (77 + 78)

but the real thing has to be steffi Graph
Sony Ericsson WTA Tour singles titles 107
22 Singles Grand Slam Titles...22....

Moose Malloy
06-22-2006, 04:33 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, one person hurt by this move was Martina Navratilova. She actually won 6 grand slams in a row, yet never won a calendar slam. Correct me if I am wrong, but they moved the Australian during her run.

The Australian switched to December in '77. Navratilova won 6 straight slams from '83 W to '84 US Open. Sukova denied her a calendar grand slam at the '84 Australian.