PDA

View Full Version : Lenthy Review of the n6.1 95

Coda
07-09-2004, 01:11 AM
I put my review under a different post, here it is.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/viewtopic.php?t=12367

brijoel
07-09-2004, 02:59 AM
yea i just got an ncode 90 from a local shop today and was HIGHLY disappointed. the only thing i felt it did nicely was volley, everything else felt weak and it didnt play as heavy as its quoted weight which is a drawback in my opinion. i woulda put up a review, but my god, everyone and their dog already has.

FireSon
07-09-2004, 03:05 AM
Brijoel

Like to hear some negative experiences as well, everything has been 'relatively' positive about the ncode 90...

brijoel
07-09-2004, 04:07 AM
lemme just say this first.
i wanted to like this racquet...i wanted to be able to say wilson had actually gotten a good formula again instead of the wierd tour 90... i wanted to be able to go out and hit and have the same feel of the pro staffs of old (mainly the 6.0 85 and 6.1 95)

well, there seemed to be a very muted feel, as in i just didnt feel like i got much feedback at all. the racquet plays EXTREMELY light in my opinion and made it difficult to really put any "schtick" behind the ball.

groundies felt uncontrolled and not much real pop or weight on the ball.
my forehands felt really awkward and just could not for the life of me stop catching the ball early. if i slowed down it felt like crap, and if i sped up i was finishing the swing before the ball was ever at the contact point. i thought it was just me, but i dont usually have much trouble adjusting to something else after more than about 5 mins. it just didnt feel natural, i felt like i had to force the swing to really line it up, and even then.....there wasnt much pace and i couldnt get spin on the ball for the life of me. regardless of lighter weight and balance, it actually felt less maneuverable than my pro staff 6.0 85.

vollies werent bad and actually came off the racquet pretty nice. i really think this racquet doesnt like to be swung, just punched forward firmly, lol.

serves, felt softer with less pace, and the sad part was i didnt gain any extra control regardless of getting less pace. once again, i think this was due to the weight, but i couldnt get a good snap through no matter what i tried, and due to that, had a hard time imparting spin as well..........

overall, the mediocre feel at best, it hit lightly and the un-maneuverable sensation, together, made the racquet awkward to hit with and really just didnt suit my game. i think maybe a few tenths of an ounce more spread across the racquet and a tad more flex would have really helped it. as far as the maneuverablity goes, i really dont understand what the problem was, but the raquet just felt enormous trying to handle it, what really killed it for me was the racquet WOULD NOT snap through the ball for the life of me on the serve.
to put this in perspective, i recently re-hit with a PS 6.1 and it was way more maneuverable and had a lot more weight on the ball, so this review is not bias from the slightly larger head due to my usual play of an 85 sq/in and says a lot to me about how wierd this racquet is.

carlosrothstein
07-09-2004, 09:24 AM
I also tested the ncode Tour 90 and wasn't happy either, I had the opportunity of testing two demos from different tennis shops in my area one with Stamina and the other with Sensation strings on it, the one with stamina at the top tension was better overall, the other one with sensation was O.K at the middle range tension only at serves both frames didn't feel the same it was that one was head heavier than the other one and the second one heavier overall; also the ncode 95 was tested with the Stamina string and I didn't like it also, I'm waiting to try that one with the sensation string on it at the middle tension.

By now the 6.0 85" is still a winner in my hands overall, just aquestion of the right string on it and be in good shape to play with it.

Something else about the new Wilson frames it looks like the first batch is not so consistent about their specs, it happen also with the Rok the first ones and demo were a little diff. than the ones realized after, also my 6.0 85" are very different one to the oher.

I demoed and bought a WTour 90 the one with the yellow inside and besides that frame wasn't easy to play with it for me it 's feel was nicer and more solid.

BreakPoint
07-09-2004, 10:09 AM
I agree with both brijoel and carlos about the nSix-One Tour. The feel was just not anything like the PS 6.0. I found the feel much too muted so that I couldn't get a good sense of the what the ball was doing on the strings. There just wasn't the same bite that I was used to. This was most noticable on serves. I also couldn't get a good "snap through" and thus, could not generate good pace nor spin. It was hard to tell where the ball was going to land in the box. I also found the balance to be very different from the PS 6.0, like there was more mass in the throat area and less headlight. BTW, my demo was strung with Stamina at, I would guess, around mid tension.

FireSon
07-09-2004, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

As a current Tour 90 user I would very much like to know if the nCode or the T90 plays 'closer' to the 6.0. I will demo the n90 later this month and I am looking for a stick which is a little easier on the volley without sacrificing the feel on the groundstrokes.

Also I would like to know what would be the reason for the current 6.0 85 users to switch to a 90 s.i. racquet. What would you like to gain from it?

Can someone explain this 'feel' issue in a bit more detail? Does it has to do with the 'finesse' shots? e.g. that you can adjust the split second the ball is on the strings.

Coda
07-09-2004, 11:29 AM
The guys that have used the 6.0 85 since it's inception are getting old, so they want a racket that is easy for their old bodies! lol
Most people want a 90 because it is a good compromise between control and forgiveness with the classic prostaff feel. The feel issue for the n6.1 95?

BreakPoint
07-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Can someone explain this 'feel' issue in a bit more detail? Does it has to do with the 'finesse' shots? e.g. that you can adjust the split second the ball is on the strings.

About the best way for me to describe the "feel issue" with the PS 6.0 is that when you hit the sweetspot perfectly with the PS 6.0, the feel is literally, to use a cliche, "better than sex". :D :shock: 8)

FireSon
07-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Well the 'feel' issue in general, and in comparing the nCode 90, Tour 90 and the 6.0 85.

Since english isn't my native language I find it hard to pin point the exact classifications which are used for this 'feel' thing, like: "muted", "damped", "crisp" etc. It seems to be related to control and feedback you get from the racquet. Does it also has to do with the more 'forgiving' a racquet is, the less 'feel' it has?

In the TW review of the 6.0 85 & 95 the 'feel' difference between the two is quite large 90 vs. 79, even the T90 scored higher 84.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this :idea:

FireSon
07-09-2004, 12:03 PM
About the best way for me to describe the "feel issue" with the PS 6.0 is that when you hit the sweetspot perfectly with the PS 6.0, the feel is literally, to use a cliche, "better than sex". :D :shock: 8)

Why, in that case, don't you play with the biggest oversized racquet you can find?? :lol:

brijoel
07-09-2004, 12:19 PM
yes, feedback is probably the best way to describe it. for instance its like im hitting the ball with my own hand with the 6.0 and thus can always tell pretty much where the ball is going as well as be able to adjust my swing mid stroke on the ball even. the ncode 90 on the other hand, i felt like i had to really force it and pay extremely close attention to my shot for it to even go in the direction i wanted because with the 6.0 its always been like i think it and it happens, lol, just a very natural feel. the ncode was dead every where else except the sweet spot too. the sweet spot itself felt very mushy, and wasnt crisp at all. it was almost like playing the sweetspot of some oversized monster of a racquet. its really hard to describe how the ball felt coming off the racquet because simply put..........i dont know, lol. really wierd ~sigh~

brijoel
07-09-2004, 12:30 PM
The guys that have used the 6.0 85 since it's inception are getting old, so they want a racket that is easy for their old bodies! lol
Most people want a 90 because it is a good compromise between control and forgiveness with the classic prostaff feel. The feel issue for the n6.1 95?

sadly this racquet isnt easier to use. in fact i cant see any older player really wanting to use this thing. everyone keeps saying a 90 is a good compromise in control/forgiveness/power. its utter BS! that racquet was one of the hardest things to control that ive ever hit with and was the least rewarding for the amount of effort you must put in. the pro staff 6.1 95 has more control than this thing does and felt better. headsize is far from the only factor in control and the ncode proves that by a long shot for anyone who has a chance to hit with it.
im waiting on a LM prestige demo to come in at this pro shop, although im becoming less and less impressed with all the new fangled crap these companies keep putting out. if the LMP is as bad as this thing was, i think i will pretty much have lost hope in a racquet company coming out with anything new that actually makes any difference. the last time i felt a company made a good "new" creation was the yonex rd ti-70 with the nickel-titanium or whatever material they used. that was the closest thing to a pro staff feel from another company i ever felt.

Coda
07-09-2004, 12:36 PM
brijoel, I wasn't talking about the n6.1 tour but an imaginary racket everyone wants: PS 6.0 90...I don't know if fireson was talking about this or the n6.1 tour.

womackD
07-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Coda,

No offense, but in your intial statement, you said you only hit with the Ncode 95 for an hour.. How can you make any kind of comprehensive comparison in only an hour when just hitting with a club pro (match play, tourney play, league play, something)? Plus, you kept contradicting yourself in way on several points. Again, no offense, just confused over here..

brijoel
07-09-2004, 01:10 PM
brijoel, I wasn't talking about the n6.1 tour but an imaginary racket everyone wants: PS 6.0 90...I don't know if fireson was talking about this or the n6.1 tour.

my comments about headsize still stand.....lol
i mean i dont wanna be a dream killer or anything, but 5 sq/in is not going to make a big difference in terms of gaining or even losing a whole lot in racquet performance IMO. and judging from what ive seen outta wilson, they dont want to take a step back and would rather implement this crap they call ncode and hypercarbon on us.

BreakPoint
07-09-2004, 01:24 PM

Why, in that case, don't you play with the biggest oversized racquet you can find?? :lol:

Just because a racquet is oversized doesn't mean that it gives you the best feel (or else why would people keep praising the feel of a 85 sq. in. racquet?). The great feel comes from a combination of: the materials used (e.g., kevlar), the beam construction (e.g., box beam), the beam width (e.g., 17mm), flexibility (usually more flexible means more feel), the head shape and size, the racquet's overall balance, the weight distribution, the location of the sweetspot on the face, the PWS system (or absence thereof) on Wilson ProStaffs, and last but not least, the type, gauge, and tension of the strings.

Hey, just because you have the biggest one doen't mean you have the best sex!!! :lol: :shock:

Coda
07-09-2004, 01:53 PM
I was tired when I wrote the review, womack, where am I contradicting myself?

carlosrothstein
07-09-2004, 11:45 PM
sorry guys were I wrote "realized" is "released" and I must add that at one moment Wilson sold a WHPS 6.0 85" ( maybe Japan) yes a Hyper version don't remember who was the poster with one of this but I remember that he had the Cayman TNT 90 also ,the Cayman was a nice frame but he always went back to the WPS 6.0 85" and that the Hyper version was very similar to the original but with a tad more power, maybe somebody will have more info about this model I think it was like an special anniversary frame don't remember exactly.

WilsonPSSurgeX
07-10-2004, 07:56 AM
im swithching to the ncode 95 because it is just an awesome racquet i just feel like i get so much more power and control than i did on my 300g.

FireSon
07-10-2004, 11:17 AM
Hey, just because you have the biggest one doen't mean you have the best sex!!! :lol: :shock:I should have anticipated that one 8)

Still wondering about the difference in comments on the T90 and the n90. Both don't seem to fit the profile for the 'real 6.0 85 player', but which one comes closer? Personally I am looking for something which swings a bit easier than my T90 with the real 'plow factor' and is more maneuverable at the net...

Looking forward to more comments & reviews, until I can get my hands on one!

LoveThisGame
07-10-2004, 06:31 PM
womackD wrote:
No offense, but in your intial statement, you said you only hit with the Ncode 95 for an hour.. How can you make any kind of comprehensive comparison in only an hour when just hitting with a club pro (match play, tourney play, league play, something)?

Yes, to decide to buy/change to a new frame, it is best to play with it for at least two times and against more than one person.

BUT, I think one usually knows if a frame is or is not pretty good for you after hitting groundies, volleys, serves, and returns for less than half an hour.

NLBwell
07-10-2004, 09:10 PM
You can find out if a racket is wrong for you very quickly -- just a few minutes. To find out if one is right for you, you should do at least what "LoveThisGame" says.

garland
07-11-2004, 08:46 AM
I agree with the previous two comments. I can absolutely tell if a racquet won't work for me very quickly--often before finishing the warmup. The much more difficult ones are the definite maybes that feel good. It's then just a question of how good ....

BTW, I'm on day 3 of demoing the NCode 95. So far, I have to say that I'm pretty impressed. I don't know that I'll switch from my HPS 6.1, but I'm closer with this one than any I've played with. Plus, as others have said, it is a gorgeous paint job.

tt2003
09-27-2004, 11:33 PM
I just wonder who designs ncode 90. Are those engineers tennis player? Do they know the meaning of "Feel" to tennis players? I think ncode just targets the players who like the paintjob of ncode 90 or are the fans of Roger Federer. But anyway, Wilson is already a big winner of the ncode 90 marketing strategy. I hope in the future Wilson will make PS 85 with ncode paintjob; I will be definitely one of the buyers. I want to buy ncode, but after taking you guys advice, I better stock up some more PS 85 to prepare the discontinue of PS 85.