PDA

View Full Version : ruinin your opponents mental game

cgreenlee88
03-03-2004, 05:37 PM
if neone has ever read some of 'winning ugly', John McEnroe was a pro at this. He would yell and scream and give dirty looks and do whatever needed to win.
what im asking is.....do any of yall use psyching or gamesmanship techniques that work against ur opponent?
i think messing with ur opponents mind and/or ruining their mental game can help u come to victory even if u dont have the best of strokes ( hence, Brad Gilbert)

chris

PhatAbbott
03-04-2004, 01:12 AM
I reccomend wearing clothing with bells and flashing lights attached to them, squeaky shoes aswell.

When serving point to the sky and look with amazement then firedown a quick serve into the box. That one will have deep psychological effects on your opponent and win you a quick point.

Have a secret dead ball, perhaps inject water into the core. Perform the underarm serve with a little backspin and hes very unlikely to get to it before it bounces twice.

These are a few tricks I reccomend you try. You will have to wait for my book to come out to learn the best ones though. Its called "Being an unfair sportsman" by Aai Chette.

Camilio Pascual
03-04-2004, 03:35 AM
I did (initiated) some mind games and gamesmanship when I was a kid. My grandpa tennis coach straightened me out real good on doing that stuff. I've been lucky to be playing in a league of honest players the last half dozen years. I guess it comes down to if one wants to compete in an honest and fair tennis match. I got to the point by my early-20's where I knew enough about the motivations of cheats and head gamers to view them with a combination of contempt and amusement. The only gamesmanship I do now is to call attention very (VERY) politely to the gamesmanship of others, even offering some psychoanalysis of their motivations. You would be amazed at how little argument I get and how it unhinges their games. Two tips: Learn to be amused at others' gamesmanship and the weakness that lies behind it. Work on your tennis game-strokes, movement, strategy, etc. and go out there to win a TENNIS match.

python
03-04-2004, 03:40 AM
That's great, Camilio. Care to share a few choice quips with us?

gustavo33
03-04-2004, 07:29 AM
i love when my opponent starts yelling things like "cīmonnnnnnnnn"... that really pumps me....

vin
03-04-2004, 07:43 AM
Another tactic you can use from the opposite spectrum of McEnroe like antics is to simply compliment something your opponent is doing well. According to The Inner Game of Tennis, this will get them thinking too much about reproducing what they are doing well and knock them right out of their groove.

I almost dislike it when people compliment my serve during play just for this reason. It usually gets the best of me even though I'm aware of it happening.

However, I do agree with Camilio. I'd rather win with skills than mental manipulation. I think it's much more satisfying to take your opponent out of their game with your tennis skills rather than getting into their head.

Vin

Camilio Pascual
03-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Thanks for asking, Python, but it makes me look bad when it is out-of-context. It's a you-had-to-have-been-there thing. However, the "your serve (backhand, forehand, etc.) looks GREAT today" ploy has been done a lot since "Winning Ugly" came out. My response: I get real close and friendly to the guy and start to talk about my GREAT serve in excruciating detail, including showing my EXACT grip and how keeping my elbow up high is the "secret" to my GREAT serve, I learned that when I was pitching as a teenager, which reminds me where did you go to high school and wasn't everything better and worse than it is today.... Very Grandpa Simpson. And I'm very friendly and enthusiastic and acting like I've just found my new bestest friend in the whole world. I'll ignore cues to continue playing, "Oh, no, I don't mind taking the time to show you the secrets of my GREAT serve...." In other words, I take control of the situation and the guy ends up regretting he ever said it. I can't remember a time when the other guy played better or I played worse after one of these. Much fun.

kevhen
03-04-2004, 12:27 PM
That hard hitting lefty always compliments me as well as other little mental things he does and says. So next time he tells me how great my serve is, I will ask him if he would like to learn how to do it like me and then start showing him the grip, toss, and motion. He is a control freak, like not wanting to change sides indoors, but I try to stay in control too by making him play by the correct rules and switching sides on odd games and everything else I can do to keep my share of control over the match. I will beat him eventually, he is a worthy opponent. But it sucks that he is 50, drinks alot, and I am 33 and in much better shape but he has a seriously good tennis game with a very nice forehand and a consistent classic slice backhand.

Simbah2004
03-05-2004, 10:00 AM
Well, I will just keep quiet during the whole match. I has quite an effect to keep calm during the whole thing. In my opinion, keeping a silent profile while maintaining a strong body language does most of the work by itself. I never rush during serve and always keep the same two bouncing ritual. If my opponent had a great play, why do I need to compliment him/her? They know. If I have a great play, I will turn from my opponent and raise my fist.
If I lose, I will compliment my opponent with a smile and say he or she were too good for me "today". If I win I will be discreet, shake his hands and thanks for the match. I've seen guys making compliments to opponents they beat, and that's stupid in my opinion. They are just complimenting themselves. These same guys, when they lose, come up with a whole arsenal of excuses.

Djokovicfan4life
04-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Well, I like the idea of pointing wilding to the sky before serving.

But seriously, the only person who can ruin the opponent's mental game is the opponent. If he lets things get to him, like changes of pace and such, it's his problem. Don't use blatent gamesmanship, but if they implode because your tactics got under their skin it's their problem.

Edit: Really, another 5+ year old thread, t-top?

Bhagi Katbamna
04-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Seriously, tennis is a hobby for me. I don't want to engage in unsportsmanlike conduct to try to win.

nCode747
04-10-2010, 06:02 PM
if anyone has ever read some of 'winning ugly', John McEnroe was a pro at this. He would yell and scream and give dirty looks and do whatever needed to win.
what I'm asking is.....do any of you all use psyching or gamesmanship techniques that work against your opponent?
I think messing with your opponents mind and/or ruining their mental game can help u come to victory even if you don't have the best of strokes ( hence, Brad Gilbert)

chris

your welcome

Djokovicfan4life
04-10-2010, 06:49 PM
your welcome

Haha, if you're going to rewrite grammar in a 6 year old post, you better know the difference between "your" and "you're".

nCode747
04-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Haha, if you're going to rewrite grammar in a 6 year old post, you better know the difference between "your" and "you're".

This coming from Djokovicfanforlife

Djokovicfan4life
04-10-2010, 07:24 PM
It's just a screen name, Scooter. Take it easy. You're taking this too seriously.

nCode747
04-10-2010, 07:35 PM
It's just a screen name, Scooter. Take it easy. You're taking this too seriously.

Sorry I thought you can take a joke.

SuperDuy
04-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Sorry I thought you could take a joke.

I might just add.

nCode747
04-10-2010, 07:48 PM
I might just add.

shoot, I guess I should have payed more attention in English class.

Djokovicfan4life
04-11-2010, 06:42 AM
Grammar wars are always funny.