PDA

View Full Version : Edberg service motion

Happy_Man
06-22-2006, 03:48 AM
Does anybody have a detailed analysis of edbergs serve? i would like to follow it.

Best Regards,
Happy Man :)

HyperHorse
06-22-2006, 04:13 AM
well Ill be as brief as i can be, since i hate typing a lot...
he used a pretty extreme eastern backhand grip...
tossed the ball left, and with that extreme back arch & knee bend...
comes up and hits across the ball... one hell of a kick serve...
later on in his career he had to slightly modify his serve because he had back surgery in '89 or something...
anyway i hope that was useful..

scotus
06-22-2006, 06:46 PM
If you have access to the old issues of Tennis Magazine going back to the late 80's, you can find one.

But a word of advice from one who once modeled his serve after that of Edberg: It is very taxing on the body with comparatively little return. Unless you are as gifted as Edberg, I advise you against it.

Try to imitate Sampras instead. Your body will thank you, and your shoes will last longer.

edberg505
06-22-2006, 07:55 PM
If you have access to the old issues of Tennis Magazine going back to the late 80's, you can find one.

But a word of advice from one who once modeled his serve after that of Edberg: It is very taxing on the body with comparatively little return. Unless you are as gifted as Edberg, I advise you against it.

Try to imitate Sampras instead. Your body will thank you, and your shoes will last longer.

I second that. I can copy his motion almost perfectly. But you defintely have to have the volleys to back it up. If you don't, you're screwed.

Marius_Hancu
06-23-2006, 12:38 AM
If interested in Edberg clips, check my
Kick Serve
posting
in the Sticky (topmost thread) in the Tips forum

galain
06-23-2006, 04:21 AM
Find a copy of the Australian Open logo. Should be one on the official site (dot org). The logo is of Edberg in silhouette - it's a great capture of his serve mid motion.

joe sch
06-23-2006, 05:15 AM
To develop the ability to serve with Edberg type motion requires many years of training. Take the grip modifications and back bending very slowly so you dont injure your body. Doing lots of abdominal training and flexibility training, like yoga, will really help you with these extreme body requirements. As one poster noted, your probably better off trying to develop a Sampras or Roddick cannonball. Even a player like Rafter, who had similar action on his serve, ended up shortening his career with his extreme techniques.

Wondertoy
06-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Players with shoulder problems have faulty technique. They face too frontal on their service (Rafter, Ivanisevic, Roddick will, Krajicek). Sampras never had shoulder problems because he had included the proper shoulder rotational which added action and ease the frontal impact on the rotator cuff.

Marius_Hancu
06-25-2006, 03:22 AM
being more explicit:
http://edberg.free.fr/videos/videos_serve_1.htm

guernica1
06-26-2006, 10:22 AM
Also Pete's is a better physical motion because instead of relying so much on back especially lumbar bend he had tremendous knee bend so his back was relatively spared vs. say Edberg. Now of course to do that type of motion over and over takes tremendous quad strength and endurance.

But for most people its easier to get a good knee bend into a serve as knees are designed to bend, whereas backs weren't designed to go into extension like that over and over again.

Question for the Edberg fans: How good was Edberg's out wide serve in the deuce court?

edberg505
06-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Also Pete's is a better physical motion because instead of relying so much on back especially lumbar bend he had tremendous knee bend so his back was relatively spared vs. say Edberg. Now of course to do that type of motion over and over takes tremendous quad strength and endurance.

But for most people its easier to get a good knee bend into a serve as knees are designed to bend, whereas backs weren't designed to go into extension like that over and over again.

Question for the Edberg fans: How good was Edberg's out wide serve in the deuce court?

It was pretty effective. Not as effective as say Pete's, but wide enough to get a look at a pretty decent volley.

Moose Malloy
06-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Doing lots of abdominal training and flexibility training, like yoga, will really help you with these extreme body requirements.

Edberg says he did 1,000 situps a day when he was a junior.