PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a broken racquet?

djones
07-09-2004, 05:43 AM
Would this be possible?
I own a Prince graphite 1 racquet, and it broke like 4 years ago.
There's just a little crack of half an inch in the top, but I remember places on the internet who claimed to fix these kind of cracks.
But is it possible to fix it myself?

gmlasam
07-09-2004, 05:46 AM
I think once the racquet is broken, cracked, it is pretty much a ruined racquet. It will never play or feel the same, its properties has been lost. Save your $$$ and purchase a new racquet. The amount of $$ it would cost you to fix it, would probably cost about the same as a new racquet.

Coda
07-09-2004, 05:47 AM
I wouldn't try it, if you do try fixing however way, there will still be a stress point.

Steve Huff
07-09-2004, 01:54 PM
If it's not deformed, you could try adding layers of epoxy around the crack to build up the structural integrity. It will look ugly, but it may be enough to make it feel stable. Like the others, it's probbly time to invest in a new frame, but if you're just looking for a project and were going to throw the racket away anyway, might as well give it a shot.

Gaines Hillix
07-09-2004, 04:44 PM
I agree with Steve. You might try a thin layer of epoxy, then a layer of fiberglass cloth cut to fit while the epoxy is still wet, then another thin layer of epoxy. When it's dry, you can sand it smooth and apply a little touch up paint using a spray can. Nothing to lose really.

uk_skippy
07-11-2004, 09:15 AM
There are several guys here it the UK who perfom racket repairs. The one I use mostly is very good. Just had a player from my club have their mizuno repaired and it looks fantastic. You cant tell where the break was. There is also a 3 month guarantee with the repair. If you have a favourite rqt then Id search out someone who can do it.