PDA

View Full Version : McEnroe is playing doubles in Stockholm

Moose Malloy
06-22-2006, 09:23 AM
John McEnroe will return to the ATP circuit in October when he partners Jonas Bjorkman at the if… Stockholm Open. McEnroe stepped out of retirement earlier this year when he and Bjorkman won the SAP Open title in San Jose – McEnroe’s 78th career doubles title.
“It feels extremely good to return to if… Stockholm Open, which has always been one of my favorite tournaments,” McEnroe said. “I’m also looking forward to playing with Jonas and our goal is without a doubt to win the tournament.”

McEnroe made his last appearance in the Royal Tennis Hall in 1985. He won the Stockholm doubles title in 1979 with Peter Fleming, and has captured the singles crown on four occasions (1978, 1979, 1984 and 1985).

If… Stockholm Open was founded in 1969 and will hold its 38th edition of the event from October 7-15, 2006.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/doubles/news/mcenroe_if.asp

diegaa
06-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Excellent news! Thanx on that info.

Andres
06-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Great!!
But... why do they call it "if... Stockholm Open"?
What's with the "if..." ??

Volly master
06-22-2006, 10:01 AM
whats like.."what if...." "can we make it better/cooler?"

"what if....we are gay?"
"what if....borg never reitred?"

what if...? i have no idea =)

ballplayer
06-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Great!!
But... why do they call it "if... Stockholm Open"?
What's with the "if..." ??Because that is the main sponsor?

Good idea of them to team up in Bjorkman's home event.

BreakPoint
06-22-2006, 10:55 AM
So "if..." is the name of the sponsor? :confused:

What does that mean in Swedish?

ballplayer
06-22-2006, 02:27 PM
One of the sponsors. It's an insurance company, I think. But I don't know whether the word means something, as I don't speak Swedish.

I think it's great that they are apparantly serious about teaming up more often. Or at least showing signs that San Jose was not just a one off. Now that Bjorkman and Mirnyi have succesfully defended their RG title and are now the No.1 team it doesn't look likely that Bjorkman will suddenly retire next year or so (which is what I feared). So what I'm thinking now is: is there a possible Wimbledon partnership between Mac & Jonas in the cards for next year?

I think Mac wouldn't jump into such a thing easily, since he'd probably hate the idea of losing but on the other hand there is a rather rigid distiction between the 'men & the boys' on the mens doubles tour what with the usual suspects dominating year after year: Bryan/Bryan, Hanley/Ullyett, Knowles/Nestor, Santoro/Zimonjic, Aspelin/Perry, Erlich/Ram, Damm/Paes, Cermak/Friedl. This year we see teams like Fyrstenberg/Matkowski and Dlouhy/Vizner battling their way to the top by means of winning or going far in minor events, but to make it to the top of the rankings AND to have succes in Grand Slam events it takes a good team and 2 special players.

Could Mac & Bjorkman - despite their age - be such a team?

lucky leprechaun
06-22-2006, 02:41 PM
geez these two are old. they must be trying to break the highest combined age winning streak.

simi
06-22-2006, 02:57 PM
Wonder if there is a little JMac/Navratilova unspoken contest going on about who can still win on the tour and who will be the oldest with a championship?

scotus
06-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Now that Bjorkman and Mirnyi have succesfully defended their RG title and are now the No.1 team it doesn't look likely that Bjorkman will suddenly retire next year or so (which is what I feared). So what I'm thinking now is: is there a possible Wimbledon partnership between Mac & Jonas in the cards for next year?

Does Mirnyi have plans of his own?

ballplayer
06-23-2006, 02:05 AM
Not that I know of. Him and Bjorkman obviously make for a good team. I was merely thinking of Wimbledon as a one off thing for Mac, and and a natural extention of them playing at these smaller events. Surely he'd love to show 'em that he can still do it. On touch & reflexes he probably can. But I'm a bit doubtful whether or not Mac could physically hold up for succesive 5 set matches.

Mirnyi could partner up with Bhupathi for the occasion.

dukemunson
06-23-2006, 02:04 PM
Bjorkman isn't going to skip playing a major with Mirnyi to play with JMac. Doesn't make any sense as he knows they'd have no shot at winning it or really even winning more than a round or two (San Jose was a pretty weak draw...still an amazing result though). I'd imagine Jonas will play with him again at a smaller tournament or two but ther's no way the worlds best doubles player (my opinion) sacrifices a chance at a grand slam...

Moose Malloy
10-10-2006, 08:46 AM
playing Johansson/Johansson 1st Round

http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/1/posting/2006/429/mdd.pdf

Bent
10-10-2006, 09:45 AM
"if" is the name of the insurance company.

"If you are unlucky, you need an insurance company"

Dedans Penthouse
10-10-2006, 10:23 AM
"if" is the name of the insurance company.

"If you are unlucky, you need an insurance company"
Correct-o.

If Skadeforsakring Holding AB controls the Swedish insurance giant If Skadeforsakring AB and it's Finnish sister company ...... pronounce this one if you can: If Vahinkovakuutusyhtio ;-)

And what man in his right mind WOULDN'T do 'doubles' while in Stockholm?

alfa164164
10-10-2006, 10:28 AM
"This year we see teams like Fyrstenberg/Matkowski and Dlouhy/Vizner battling their way to the top by means of winning or going far in minor events"

Fyrstenberg and Matkowski made the semis of the Australian Open, that not a "minor". (I understand your point though.)

Rabbit
10-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Correct-o.
And what man in his right mind WOULDN'T do 'doubles' while in Stockholm?

You've been watching that Doublemint commercial again, haven't you Dedans?

MacBorg18
10-10-2006, 01:09 PM
I saw Mac and Jonas in San Jose. Mac was serving unbelievably. My understanding is that there are no plans for an extended partnership; I suspect that Mac and Jonas struck an agreement where each would play with the other in a tournament in each's home country.

It will be interesting to see how they fare against Tommy and Pim-Pim. :p

Ashton
10-11-2006, 10:08 AM
jdtyyyyyyyyyyfuf

Moose Malloy
10-12-2006, 01:06 PM
just won their 1st round match

Moose Malloy
10-13-2006, 09:13 AM
anyone see the match?

Moose Malloy
10-13-2006, 01:34 PM
lost 76,76 to aspelin/perry. anyone care?

vive le beau jeu !
10-13-2006, 03:13 PM
lost 76,76 to aspelin/perry. anyone care?
i do... i'm disappointed !

Nb: and what i would love is to see mac kick the bryan's butts in double... ;)