PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon.org has FREE matches

arosen
06-22-2006, 11:15 AM
I just downloaded Fed-Roddick for free, you just need to register. Superfast, full screen. Enjoy!

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2006-06-20/200606201150803899031.html

pro_staff
06-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Great. Thanks

Dan007
06-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Awsome!!!! Thanks arosen

whistleway
06-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Nice Thanks,. Here is a more direct link, i think.
http://wimbledon.mediazone.com/US/vod.html

chlorine
06-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Does anyone think this is a good deal? $19.99 for 45 days all-access pass... watch live and download matches...

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-22-2006, 02:27 PM
thanks, but how do I view it. It seems to be taking forever to download, and do I open or save it to my computer?

Dan007
06-22-2006, 02:41 PM
thanks, but how do I view it. It seems to be taking forever to download, and do I open or save it to my computer?

Save it, I think opening it, is viewing once and gone, so you have to download it again. It took about 20 minutes for me to download the whole thing.

diredesire
06-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Does anyone think this is a good deal? $19.99 for 45 days all-access pass... watch live and download matches...

depends how much you care about watching matches, i guess ;)

I wouldn't pay it, but i don't think it's a horrible deal, either..

AAAA
06-22-2006, 04:00 PM

For people around the world who cannot get full TV coverage or people who want the matches on their PCs, $20 is a bargain providing the quality is good and the downloaded videos are not DRM crippled. Hopefully it will be a success and the other slams follow suite with no advertising in the videos.

bluescreen
06-22-2006, 04:16 PM
i cant imagine this not becoming a huge success unless not a lot of people find out about it. it'd really be awesome if all slams did this.

tnig469
06-22-2006, 04:41 PM
the fed and roddick video is good quality...not as good as the one u can get on torrents tho!

EclipseRydr97
06-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Warning: If you have slow SBC internet like myself, this may take you hours...

Good luck

bluescreen
06-22-2006, 04:48 PM
for those of u that downloaded this, is the video clear to u. for me, the players seem to blur, like there r lines going through them when they move. btw, does anyone have a good player that can play these besides wmp? vlc doesnt play them for some reason.

AAAA
06-22-2006, 05:09 PM
for those of u that downloaded this, is the video clear to u. for me, the players seem to blur, like there r lines going through them when they move. btw, does anyone have a good player that can play these besides wmp? vlc doesnt play them for some reason.

As I should have expected the WMV video file has DRM protection which could be the reason VLC won't play it.

Regarding the quality, an often used naming convention for PC video is to include the bit rate in the video file's name. The Roddick Federer video file has 700k in the name. 700k is less than the data rate for VCD so don't expect great quality at full screen size.

dmastous
06-22-2006, 06:02 PM
As I should have expected the WMV video file has DRM protection which could be the reason VLC won't play it.

Regarding the quality, an often used naming convention for PC video is to include the bit rate in the video file's name. The Roddick Federer video file has 700k in the name. 700k is less than the data rate for VCD so don't expect great quality at full screen size.
The video quality (of the 700k version) is decent. It's not DVD quality, but it's better than VCD quality.
I've always taken the 300/700k to be more about your download speed. If you have a connection that is rated at less than 700k you shouldn't try to stream the 700k video you should choose the lower quality 300k version. But why would you stream if you can download?
The VLC player doesn't support the WMV format with or without a DRM (at least mine doesn't).
The issue to me is that it seems that these videos, downloaded or streaming will only work for 45 days. After that the DRM will be discontinued and the files will be wasted space on your HD.
Do I read this right?
I would happily pay the $20 to be able to watch the Becker/Curran match alone, but if it's time sensitive, I'd probably take a pass.

tnig469
06-22-2006, 06:42 PM

yes this is makin me sad.....i can at LEAST see the ball good i think

bluescreen
06-22-2006, 07:05 PM
oh wow, i never thought of it that way. can anyone confirm if the downloadable content from the all access passes r time sensitive? if so, the $20 is a rip-off.

MTXR
06-22-2006, 07:41 PM
is there only the 2005 final?

dmastous
06-22-2006, 07:56 PM
is there only the 2005 final?
No that is the only free video. Apparently once you pay your $20 you have access to a number of 'classic' matches such as the Becker/Curran, Evert/Navratalova and Agassi/Ivanisovic among others. In addition they say the will have all the show court matches available shortly after they are broadcast during the tournament this year.
The only question is the $20 to watch for 45 days only, or if you download them can you watch them as long as they are on your computer. I'm guessing that since inorder to watch them (even the free one btw) you have to register, and the first time you go to play them they 'phone home' to varify your registration. Once varified you can watch it to your heart's content, but if you erase your media player permissions library, or watch on an different computer you have to re-sign in the first time.
This is significant because the teaser video is just over 600 mb. Easily burned to a CD with which you can use to watch on any computer.
The $20 fee if it's for unlimited watching on downloaded videos is (imo) an outstanding deal. But if, after 45 days it 'phones home' and won't play because the deal is over it's a horrible deal. There's little middle ground. Well, you do get to watch Wimbledon essencially 'On Demand' so that's nice. But I get to do that with my TV and DVR anyway.
As a comparison MLB offers Digital Downloads of all the games during the season and playoffs. The games can be purchased individually and watched indefinatly for $3.99. They use the same sort of DRM systems. And occationally I have to call them and get them to release one the will no longer allow me to play it. It's a pain in the tushy.
$3.99 per game to watch whenever I want, or $20 to watch whichever match I want, but within 45 days????? :confused:

d_frank
06-22-2006, 09:09 PM
the fed and roddick video is good quality...not as good as the one u can get on torrents tho!
I can never find seeds for tennis match torrents :(

FedererUberAlles
06-22-2006, 10:34 PM
No go on OS X =(

sandiegotennisboy
06-22-2006, 10:54 PM
sux that this is the only free download.

i dont like the video quality, but its cool that there is like a beam of light that follows the ball trajectory. all the people have lines going through them like its the matrix.

Sennin
06-23-2006, 04:21 AM
I remember rooting for Roddick in 2004 and 2005, but watching this video makes me wonder what I was thinking. He doesn't even try for half the volleys if they're not hit directly to him, and instead seems to enjoy watching it go by. Roddick, just... stay away from the net please. :p

AAAA
06-23-2006, 04:22 AM
The video quality (of the 700k version) is decent. It's not DVD quality, but it's better than VCD quality.
I've always taken the 300/700k to be more about your download speed. If you have a connection that is rated at less than 700k you shouldn't try to stream the 700k video you should choose the lower quality 300k version. But why would you stream if you can download?
The VLC player doesn't support the WMV format with or without a DRM (at least mine doesn't).
The issue to me is that it seems that these videos, downloaded or streaming will only work for 45 days. After that the DRM will be discontinued and the files will be wasted space on your HD.
Do I read this right?
I would happily pay the $20 to be able to watch the Becker/Curran match alone, but if it's time sensitive, I'd probably take a pass.

I think your explanation about the 300k-700k tags is equally applicable, perhaps more so.

Regarding VLC, it might support proprietry Microssoft formats according to
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

Regarding the time-restricted DRM and DRM in general it's total BS. If I buy a CD I can play it in my car, on my pc, in my stereo, basically anywhere with a CD player. Contrast with DRM which restricts the playing of media to exclusively one or just a few players/machines.

What makes it even worse is that the video is free of charge and they (Wimbledon) still put DRM on it. If they wanted to hinder resale by entrepreneurial crooks they could just water mark the whole match with 'Free sample no resale'.

bluescreen
06-23-2006, 06:36 AM
I sent them an e-mail basically asking if Wimbledon on Demand videos r time sensitive.

emcee
06-23-2006, 06:48 AM
Are they showing tennis in HD yet? I think it's a must for the French Open...it's a bit hard to see the ball on clay.

dmastous
06-23-2006, 07:49 AM
Regarding the time-restricted DRM and DRM in general it's total BS. If I buy a CD I can play it in my car, on my pc, in my stereo, basically anywhere with a CD player. Contrast with DRM which restricts the playing of media to exclusively one or just a few players/machines.
What makes it even worse is that the video is free of charge and they (Wimbledon) still put DRM on it. If they wanted to hinder resale by entrepreneurial crooks they could just water mark the whole match with 'Free sample no resale'.
Well, if they do that, you could still watch the video.
I almost feel sorry for those trying to produce and protect their artistic creations (almost :rolleyes: ). Before computers and high speed internet they could create something and keep opening the register each time you wanted to watch it. If you wanted to copy it for a friend the copy would have been degraded. But now, not only is a copy exactly the same as the original, but it can be distributed instantly to millions of others the same way, with no benefit to it's creator. The comes a point where it's no longer worthwhile to continue to make videos or music (that is if you're only in if for the money).
The line gets blurred when you ask the question, who is the creator? The director? The star? The studio who paid for the whole thing? In the case of a tennis match you've got the company who ownes the camaras (ESPN or BBC or NBC), the tournament, or the players.
So they come up with various types of digital rights managment schemes to protect their investment. What they don't want is to sell a video file to a customer and watch that customer send it off to serveral thousand of his or her closest friends.
I wish there was an easy answer, like saying all video is public domain an no one can make money off it. But then there would be nothing created.
I do like the MLB model. The games are relatively inexpensive, and you can watch them indefinitly. But the video quality is poor, and you do have that verification and limit to 3 computers. I would also prefer something other than WMV.
I look forward to hearing if bluescreen gets an answer to his request. I looked through the FAQs and found no answers there. The less I find, the more I think that I'm unfortunatly right in thinking you can only watch for 45 days. I hope I'm wrong.

armand
06-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Ok, I'm not certain what DRM is but my guess is that it's a copyright protocol deal that one must download or at least allow to download in order for the file to play. I have my firewall set so that it blocks my media player from accessing the internet,so I won't be able to see the match?

[aside: my take on downloading music is this: Musicians have a had a pretty sweet deal all these centuries because a long time ago, they were only average people, so now it's time to come back down. If you love to make music, do it for the love, not for the fame+fortune.]

tnig469
06-23-2006, 09:51 AM
I can never find seeds for tennis match torrents :(

i know this is a major problem...its extremely slow...but i think if u wait ummm 5 days with ur computer running..it will be worth it! :)

dmastous
06-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Ok, I'm not certain what DRM is but my guess is that it's a copyright protocol deal that one must download or at least allow to download in order for the file to play. I have my firewall set so that it blocks my media player from accessing the internet,so I won't be able to see the match?

[aside: my take on downloading music is this: Musicians have a had a pretty sweet deal all these centuries because a long time ago, they were only average people, so now it's time to come back down. If you love to make music, do it for the love, not for the fame+fortune.]

DRM is digital rights management. It's applied to media files to allow the creator of the media file to control your ability to copy and distribute that file. Ideally the creator is the one who should be able to decide who can watch or listen and how much they should pay for that privilage.
That's the company line.
This can come in the form of a digital signal on the inside of a CD (which was defeated by means of a black felt pen), or having software on a DVD that will do a quick search of your computer to see if you have any copying software, and disable this software. Or in the case of these downloaded WMV files there is a message that is sent back to the source to verify that you got the file from the correct source and have "permission" to view it. If you have your firewall blocking outgoing data from your media player, unless you set that to ask for your permission and you give it, instead of blocking everything you probably won't be able to view it.
The evil side of DRM is that as soon as a DRM comes out there is a cadre of hackers who will, almost imediately, crack the code and make the file available. Now before you say "yeah, go get 'em hackers", frequently those hackers do so so that you can pay THEM for the right to use the file rather than the creator.
To muddy the waters even more, most of the copyright owners are big publishing companies who buy up creative rights from artists more than willing (and greedy) to get what ever they can from their talent while they can instead of looking to the future, like Paul McCartney did. These companies (like BMG and Capitol, and Columbia) don't have a creative bone in their bodies, but are very intelligent about making money. So when you buy a CD they are the ones getting most of the rights profit. often the artist has sold or signed away any chance of making anything themselves. Only after they have had some success and have proven they can make popular, saleable music, and can leverage that to get a better deal for themselves.
In the end for our part, the battleground is your computer. These companies want to control your ablity to use your computer to make copies. They are trying to legally and illegaly get software onto your computer to control what you can do with it. That's the problem with DRM and why it needs to be stopped.

naturalgut
06-23-2006, 04:10 PM
I posted a question to wimbledon.org, and they replied that the matches will cease to play after 60 days!

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-23-2006, 05:13 PM
thanks Arosen, even though it took me an hour and a half to download the Fed-A Rod match it was great video quality and great tennis played by both. If only they could have given more than one free match:( .......................

tennisee
06-23-2006, 05:16 PM
That's bad news - I downloaded the Fed Roddick, and thought the quality was acceptable; good that there are no ads but time limiting makes it much less attractive.
Natgut will you post a copy of your corresp. with them? Is there any way of getting unlimited files?

naturalgut
06-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Tennisee, I just asked if there were time restrictions, and they replied,

"The matches will cease to play after 60 days.

We look forward to you joining Wimbledon LIVE."

tennisee
06-23-2006, 05:43 PM
Bugger; I was going to subscribe, not sure if I'll bother now as I wanted to keep an archive. Thanks for the info, though.

dmastous
06-23-2006, 05:43 PM
So they force us to become criminals. They create content that will disable itself after 60 days, and we are forced to break the law, by trying to get around the copy protection, if we want to watch them after that time period.
Or we can choose not to watch at all.