PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives To Kevlar Blend

SC Tennis Player
03-03-2004, 05:50 PM
I've been using a wide variety of Kevlar/Syn Gut blends for the past 12 years. Luckily I have had zero problems with my elbow and/shoulder. Every so often I get the urge to try something a little different. Over the past few years I've tried Poly/Syn Gut blends, and several different full Syn Gut strings. The problem, or maybe it is not a problem, is that I can't seem to get used to any string that is not "stiff as a board". My question is, have any of you other Kevlar users experienced a similar situation? If so, is there any way to break this habit? As I get older in my years, I have the feeling I will need to look for an alternative. I'm 42 and heading down hill fast!

Steve Huff
03-03-2004, 08:08 PM
Sounds as if you have too powerful of a racket. Maybe shop around for one with less power--a "playes" frame.

Kevin T
03-04-2004, 06:53 AM
I'm with you, SC. I have used the Pro Staff 6.0 95 off and on for >10 years, most of the time strung with Prince Problend. Everytime I experiment with other strings, I just can't seem to get used to them for too long. Polys seem too slippery and believe it or not, Luxillon strings caused arm soreness, whereas kevlar does not. For some reason I just can't get the same control,pop, and feel with anything but kevlar hybrids. The only string that came close was Gosen OG JC but it breaks too quickly. For what it's worth, my father-in-law is 43 and has used Problend for >12 years and has never had a single arm problem. I guess it just doesn't affect some people. So unless you feel that twinge (God forbid), I say keep using it.

Princegod
03-05-2004, 07:23 AM
You might want to try the Luxilon series of strings (maybe Big Banger). I know Agassi used Kevlar mains with gut cross for a long time but now uses Luxilon strings.

SC Tennis Player
03-09-2004, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I may take the advice and try Big Banger or possibly Hurricane.

brijoel
03-09-2004, 07:55 PM
since your initial complaint is very similar to what mine usually is, id suggest trying out a "softer" string but waaaay upping the tension. as stated below in my sig my racquet is strung at 70 with a blend, however depending on the "softness" of another string ive upped the tension all way to 85lbs on numerous occasions to compensate for the usual stiff string bed feel i enjoy since my racquet already flexes way more than i could really ever need.

im a bit of an extreme case though, lol :roll: