PDA

View Full Version : how to get more spin

ontherise17
07-09-2004, 09:10 AM
i was just wondering..im having a really hard time creating topspin and sometimes backspin with my diablo mid..and i was just wondering if i added some wieght to the bottom of the handle to increase the head light balance if it would create more spin...thanks for the help!

cakewalk
07-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Isn't it more b/c of grip? What grip are you using

Power Game
07-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Use a more western grip and get more racquet head speed, then worry about adding tape

cakewalk
07-09-2004, 03:09 PM
LOL sweet. how do you do that???

Fantoro
07-09-2004, 03:41 PM
...Try using your legs to create more spin ...

ontherise17
07-09-2004, 04:50 PM
no one is answering my question...i know how to hit with more spin.......someone help with my actual question...oh and im using a semi-western grip

brijoel
07-09-2004, 04:56 PM
no, that will not actually allow you to create more spin.....
it will give the racquet the sensation of being more maneuverable in the head, and give a tad more heft behind certain shots, but add spin? no....
in all actuality you would be better off lowering string tension and using a thinner gauge if you really want more bite on the ball. it could help to put a tiny bit of weight in the head of the racquet to create the effect of a heavier shot/keeping the ball on the racquet a little longer due to the extra weight, but in the handle...it will do pretty much nothing.

Gaines Hillix
07-09-2004, 04:57 PM
ontherise17, adding lead tape to the handle is not going to help you, IMO. Using a racquet that is head light in the first place may help you generate more racquet head speed. A racquet with an open string pattern and thin strings may also help a little, but the main factors required to generate spin are the angle of attack of the stringbed to the ball(about 40o is optimal) and racquet head speed(the faster the better).

Kick Serve
07-09-2004, 07:43 PM
brijoel and Gaines are exactly right. Good advice guys.

andreh
07-10-2004, 01:50 AM
Not sure I agree here. I added 9 grams of lead tape to the buttcap of my PS 85s. The tape doesn't by itself give you more spin, but the drop in swingweight might help you generate more raqcuet head speed and hence give you more spin and power depending how you strike the ball.

I worked well for me, particularly on the serve. I now get more kick and power because I can swing the stick with less effort than before.

PrestigeClassic
07-10-2004, 02:24 AM
Must use 4 1/4" grip size; Western grips; 17g gut strung at 65 lbs.; and 30g lead tape with it all in the head; or as much of that as you can take. Or, just take some lessons with a respected instructor that knows spin.

Kick Serve
07-10-2004, 08:30 AM
There's a reason most male tour players don't hit with lightweight headlight racquets (most are even balanced to head heavy). Of course, they're physically able to keep the technique and swing speed up on those heavy racquets which results in some monster spin. There is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to adding weight to your racquet. If swing speed and technique are maintained, a higher swingweight racquet will generate more spin. Too much weight may effect the first two elements.

Also, if you want to beef up your racquet, I recommend doing it gradually. Add the weight in intervals to allow your arm muscles to adjust. Otherwise, you could experience dramatic arm fatigue making you more prone to injury.

ontherise17
07-10-2004, 09:49 AM
thanks brijoel andreh and kick serve

mvictory5
07-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Sorry, but andreh is completely wrong. It is impossible to decrease the swingweight by adding more weight. Adding weight to the buttcap increases static weight while increasing swingweight minimally. Assuming you have the strength to swing more weight at the same speed as before, then more weight can produce more power, which is probably what he is experiencing. You might like the effects of extra weight in the handle, but it's unlikely to produce more spin. The main benefit is added stability.

andreh
07-11-2004, 12:59 AM
Sorry, but andreh is completely wrong. It is impossible to decrease the swingweight by adding more weight. Adding weight to the buttcap increases static weight while increasing swingweight minimally. Assuming you have the strength to swing more weight at the same speed as before, then more weight can produce more power, which is probably what he is experiencing. You might like the effects of extra weight in the handle, but it's unlikely to produce more spin. The main benefit is added stability.

I must concede I might be wrong from a techincal point of view. I'm not an expert. Swingweight might increase compared to unweighted racquet, but relative to the new static weight it must surely decrease when you displace mass towards the handle. The ratio between static and swingweight chances.

I'm quite sure that my weighted sticks feels lighter in my hand than my unweighted ones. And I'm quite sure I can produce both more power and spin with the weighted ones.

brijoel
07-11-2004, 03:03 AM

I must concede I might be wrong from a techincal point of view. I'm not an expert. Swingweight might increase compared to unweighted racquet, but relative to the new static weight it must surely decrease when you displace mass towards the handle. The ratio between static and swingweight chances.

I'm quite sure that my weighted sticks feels lighter in my hand than my unweighted ones. And I'm quite sure I can produce both more power and spin with the weighted ones.

i can assure you its an illusion. in fact, you said yourself, it "feels" lighter. and its just that. what you are doing is adjusting the center of gravity. swingweight DOES go up a bit, but the sensation of maneuverablity is increased by having brought the center of gravity more toward the handle. by doing that, you also actually bring the "sweetspot" lower into the stringbed as well. power essentially comes from having a heavier racquet, the spin isnt actually a result of where you placed the lead, its more placing it anywhere to make the racquet heavier will make the ball stay on the racquet a little longer due to the heft and the ball pocketing more accordingly.
ill say this again. whatever you gain from adding weight on the handle, it is not allowing you to swing the racquet faster and in fact should slow you down

andreh
07-11-2004, 03:58 AM
Ok. Its an illusion. But it works for me. Nevermind HOW it works for me, as long as it does.

Gaines Hillix
07-11-2004, 05:23 AM
I completely agree with mvictory5. Adding the weight can potentionally slow down the players swing whether it's added to the head or handle, by increasing the swingweight. Yes, the racquet may be more head light than it was before relative to the overall weight of the frame, but it's static weight is still heavier and it's swingweight will be slightly heavier. Adding it to the handle is not going to do much for power or spin. It will handle pace a little better and absorb more shock. If it's added to the head, more power and spin could be generated, but only if the player is strong enough to maintain the same racquet head speed.