PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feel it could be Roddicks year?

punch
06-23-2006, 09:31 AM
with Fed having a tough upper half draw, does anyone else feel Roddick could make a run for the title?

When you look at it he might have a QF matchup with Hewitt, then if he can get past that possibly face Lubo, Agassi in the SF?

I think if Federer gets knocked out, and Roddick finally plays to his ability that it could very well be Roddick's turn for Wimbledon crown.

malakas
06-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Yeah..I feel it would be Roddick's year..to fall out of the top ten!!!:mrgreen:

kicker75
06-23-2006, 09:42 AM
You know...call me crazy, but I think Roddick could have a shot winning Wimbledon as long as he doesn't run into Federer along the way.

Roddick has no confidence that he can beat Federer, and in my opinion will never beat Federer (unless Federer plays horribly, and I mean horribly)

However, I think when Roddick has his A game, he can beat anyone on grass (except for the aforementioned player)

tnig469
06-23-2006, 09:45 AM
I dont know all about Roddick this year...or at any upcoming years...he seems to even be slipping on the grass really...he has never been beaten by James Blake...espeically on HIS surface...so i wouldnt count on it

cabernetjunkie
06-23-2006, 09:49 AM
I doubt it. He does not have the mind set to win wimby.

theace21
06-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Even Roddick fans agree with you!

chess9
06-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Andy has all the ability to win Wimbledon, but he needs some luck, some good health, and to get his confidence back. A few early wins on the grass at Wimbledon might be enough. I just hope he doesn't lose it with the linesmen or ref as I've seen him do a few times. :)

-Robert

RiosTheGenius
06-23-2006, 10:04 AM
yep..........his year to finally leave the top 10

tennisfreak412
06-23-2006, 10:06 AM
I think it very well could be. His draw isn't difficult, like Federers, it's just complicated. Getting past Hewitt, IMHO, is going to be hardest, and then, of course, if Federer makes the final, he'll win again. All that being said, Federer could very well still come thru.

ksbh
06-23-2006, 10:12 AM
No, ain't gonna happen. Hewitt will beat him assuming Roddick makes it that far.

with Fed having a tough upper half draw, does anyone else feel Roddick could make a run for the title?

When you look at it he might have a QF matchup with Hewitt, then if he can get past that possibly face Lubo, Agassi in the SF?

I think if Federer gets knocked out, and Roddick finally plays to his ability that it could very well be Roddick's turn for Wimbledon crown.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-23-2006, 10:19 AM
If A-Rod plays well he'll make the final. He has some tough opponents down the road(Murray, Grosjean, Hewitt) but he should get past them and into the final. He's the 2nd best player on grass right now, and he will probably win if Fed is upset before the final.

Breaker
06-23-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure he'll even make it by Grosjean with the way he's been playing recently.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-23-2006, 10:39 AM
He beat Grosjean last year on his way to the finals. Grosjean hasn't done much since then, and if A-Rod loses to him it will show how much he's fallen in one year.

Breaker
06-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Yes If Roddick goes out before the quarters it would be a real disappointment, but if/when he gets there I don't think he can get by Hewitt, he's been really solid in the past month and Roddick hasn't even reached a final yet this year.

Cfidave
06-23-2006, 10:49 AM
He owns Grosjean. Grosjean is beat before he steps on the court with Roddick. I am not sure why, but every time I have seen him play Roddick, he folds. As far as Andy winning Wimbledon, not gonna happen. He will be lucky to make the semis. If you watched him play Blake at Queens club, you would have seen a guy who is totally lost when his "unreturnable" serves come back deep and hard. Without the freebees on the serve, it is going to be a long day for Roddick.

arosen
06-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Roddick is not going to make it because Hewitt is playing really good tennis again.

exruda
06-23-2006, 10:53 AM
If you watched him play Blake at Queens club, you would have seen a guy who is totally lost when his "unreturnable" serves come back deep and hard.
True,
but fortunately for Andy, this does not happen too often :)
It happens with fed, happened with Blake;
otherwise, when he's serving like mad, he only loses tiebreaks :)

As for the Roddick -Hewitt encounter -- I would be careful to judge now

Feņa14
06-23-2006, 11:02 AM
I also believe Grosjean will beat him, if Roddick makes it that far that is.

Roddick is a worse player than last year and Grosjean always plays his best at Wimbledon, you can discount what has happened so far this year as Grosjean will be right at the top of his game for that match. I doubt Roddick will be.

If Roddick does manage to come through the Grosjean test then it will almost certainly end against Hewitt.

Added to that the fact that Federer will probably beat Gasquet, Henman, Ancic etc.. and destroy Roddick again in the final if Roddick gets lucky enough to make it that far.

Come to think of it, how come he managed to avoid Federer until the final AGAIN :rolleyes:

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-23-2006, 12:03 PM
ummmm, Hewitt doesn't return Andy's serves like Blake or Federer. Hewitt isn't a great serve returner and A-Rod should get many aces on his serve, as well as holding many service games.

tennisfreak412
06-23-2006, 01:07 PM
He just needs to push up in his court positioning. If the guy could just realize that his big serve gives him an open path to net almost every time, he'd be holding serve a lot easier. John Roddick is smart enough to know this, and he will undoubtedly be telling Andy to move up. Also, the fact that John is Andy's brother most likely means that John doesn't give a rat's @ss if Andy gets mad or not. He's not in this for the money, and I doubt Roddick is even paying him, and John's always got the academy to go back to. If Roddick pushes up, he'll make some waves this year.

sotua
06-23-2006, 01:22 PM
ummmm, Hewitt doesn't return Andy's serves like Blake or Federer. Hewitt isn't a great serve returner and A-Rod should get many aces on his serve, as well as holding many service games.

Hewitt not a good returner?!?

KBalla08
06-23-2006, 01:31 PM
ya some1 said its to early to judge, cause we gota see how the 2 of them play up until the quarters, barring they both make it. i want roddick to win, i hope he can make the final again to keep him the top 5... i wana see blake make the semi too so he can jump up a spot or 2...

Feņa14
06-23-2006, 02:19 PM

lol right okay. The 6-2 head to head in favour of Hewitt really backs that up, have you seen any of their matches? Hewitt munches on Roddicks serve like a fat kid at an "All You Can Eat" fast food restaurant buffet!

Hewitt is widely believe to be the best returner in the game since Agassi lost half a yard. He destroyed Sampras in the 2001 US Open final, I doubt he will be too worried to see Roddick on the other side of the court. Especially since Roddick only has a serve as a real weapon now, that will play into Hewitts strengthes (the return). Roddick can't return and never has been able to so Hewitt will hold relatively easily. If they do get into rallies then Hewitt will come out on top most of the time with his consistency and Roddick's lack of confidence and damaged forehand will be all to clear to see.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-23-2006, 02:39 PM
did you see their only grasscourt meeting Fena? Roddick won in straights sets, and im sure during that match Hewitt chewed up his serve like an " All You Can Eat" fast food restaurant buffet:shock:. Aside from that, Roddicks also won their most recent meeting in straights on a hardcourt, imagine him playing Hewitt again on his favorite surface.

Feņa14
06-23-2006, 02:49 PM
The match on grass was at Queens in 2004 I believe? It was when Hewitt was in his slump and it was his return that was the only thing that made the match closer than the score suggests.

Hewitt was in a slump and got beat. Roddick is in a slump and he will get beat.

HotCarl
06-23-2006, 03:16 PM
I have to agree that hewitt is a great returner and he's a good player on grass. I think the match could go either way, depends who feeling it better that day.

omniexist
06-23-2006, 04:33 PM
heh

superman1
06-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Hewitt is a great returner but he doesn't go for broke like Blake. Since Roddick is not a serve and volleyer and instead moves backwards after he serves, Hewitt's returns shouldn't give him as much trouble as Blake's lucky returns.

As well as Hewitt played in the final against Blake, his results have been **** poor all year and there's no reason to think that he's back at 100% just because of a great performance in one match (the rest of the week at Queen's I was not impressed with him). Roddick hasn't had great results this year either, but they have been better than Hewitt's. I'd give Roddick the edge if they end up playing. But I wouldn't be too surprised if neither guy even made the quarterfinals.

punch
06-23-2006, 04:52 PM
I feel if Roddick and Hewitt met in the QF's Roddick will win

nn
06-23-2006, 05:04 PM
Even Roddick fans agree with you!
yes count me in that list..even he is out of my list

Robbie_1988
06-23-2006, 05:51 PM
You know. If you think about it, the last few Wimbledon's would have been Roddick's if only Federer wasn't there.

Rafferty
06-23-2006, 10:52 PM
if roddick does make a run for the final, all the people saying that its time for roddick to drop out of the top 10, will hop back on the bandwagon. see you guys in two or so weeks. ill be the guy saying i told you so.

Roger is Boring
06-24-2006, 12:12 PM
i would like to see arod win a wimbeldon title finally.he is a better player than you think plus he is fun to watch and nobody is funnier in interviews so go arod!!!!

Saito
06-24-2006, 12:13 PM
To answer OP's question:

no :)

Ivanišević
06-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Anyone else feel it could be Roddicks end of the year?
maybe that's better question..

punch
06-24-2006, 02:15 PM
No..not feelin it.

milo
06-25-2006, 05:16 AM
i don't know. he plays so inconsistently. it is like he was too lazy to catch up the ball. and he usually give up early on a match. the reason he stay in the top 10 is because he plays quite consistently and only lost to a high rank players. but now, i don't know. maybe if he get an early out on wimby, he will not be among the top 10 anymore

Koaske
06-25-2006, 05:37 AM
Roddick may be strong with that serve of his but with grass slowed down and all... He relies too much on that serve and his other game just isn't that good. When he played Blake in the Stella Artois semis, Blake just had to make sure that he would break once in each set and win that way. Blake has a lot better groundstroke game than Roddick IMO.