PDA

View Full Version : Querrey

dukemunson
06-23-2006, 01:43 PM
http://************.com/results/2006/f-usa13.txt

Just don't see a guy who's losing in the second round of a future to a qualifier 6-1, 6-2 as having much of a chance of ever approaching Gambil or Gimelstob...

simi
06-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Kid's still new to the game. Give 'em a chance to mature and grow.

GRANITECHIEF
06-23-2006, 01:54 PM
What about a guy who wins a round in a master series (Indian Wells) and then wins a challenger (Yuba City a couple weeks ago)?

dukemunson
06-23-2006, 02:05 PM
The guy can definetely play but lets have some perspective here...the win over Reynolds was nice at Palm Springs as was the set of Blake but he's going to need to beat people a lot better than Warburg (first round Wimby qualifying loser 6-0, 6-2) to make the top 100 let alone top 50. It's humorous to hear people talking on here like he is a sure thing when his game isnt nearly consistent enough to make it...A big serve is nice and will def make for some impressive "up-wins" as well as tight losses to good players but thats not going to put you in the top 100...not to mention second round loses on the futures tour...

GRANITECHIEF
06-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Yes, lets have some perspective here. He's been a pro for about 3 weeks.

dukemunson
06-23-2006, 03:50 PM
haha...I'm not sure what that means or proves though (other than him now accepting and cashing those first round Wild Card loss checks). Doesnt matter if he declared 3 weeks ago or 3 years ago, he's been playing the events (wether its in the context of as a "pro" or an "amateur" certainly doesnt effect anything that happens on the court). He certainly has a chance to make it, but no more so then any of these other guys who also need to substantially raise their game to make it into the top 100 (Witten, Delic, Armitraj, Widom, Ram, Warburg, etc...).

Wondertoy
06-23-2006, 10:18 PM
He's already ranked 256...

Fee
07-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Sam Querrey won the Winnetka Challenger today. I think that makes him 2 for 2 in Challengers since he turned pro. He has a wildcard to the Hall of Fame Championships in Newport, Rhode Island this week and will play Danai Udomchoke of Thailand in the first round.

http://www.northshoreprotennis.com/

www.tennisfame.com

goober
07-09-2006, 04:01 PM
http://************.com/results/2006/f-usa13.txt

Just don't see a guy who's losing in the second round of a future to a qualifier 6-1, 6-2 as having much of a chance of ever approaching Gambil or Gimelstob...

I would say at 254 his current ranking at age 18 that he is already well on his way. Gimelstob's highest ranking at age 18 was 554, Gambil's was 504.

couch
07-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Well if he's going to be great he should be winning every match shouldn't he? I mean come on guys. Heaven forbid he get used to the traveling, schedule, probably playing more matches, being young (just ask Andy Murray who can't get into shape probably because he's young), other commitments (which none of us would know about), and a lot of times players mature at different stages. I don't think we will see too many Lleyton Hewitt's or Andre Agassi's who go deep into the main draws at tournaments when they are 16.