PDA

View Full Version : NXG Let-Down

TennsDog
07-09-2004, 11:37 AM
I just got my NXG today and hit some serves and feed groundstrokes with it. I had it strung with Prince Polygut mains and Syn. Gut crosses at 60 lbs (assuming tension loss will occur, of course). My first impression was how much it did not play like a 12oz racket should. It felt much too light, not very stable, nor solid. I felt that my 300G w/o any lead tape felt more stable and solid than the NXG. I am going to try adding some lead tape to 3 and 9 for added stability and weight on my shots. It reminded me of my old Head Ti.S5 in how light it felt and how much it transmitted shock. It also made quite a pinging noise even with a vibration dampener on it. Any comments or feedback? Do you think the lead tape will help? I don't know what Prince is talking about when they say "Hit the heaviest ball." This racket does not come stock for hitting heavy balls.

gmlasam
07-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Had similar experience with the NXG when I demoed it. The NXG is pretty much a tweener racquet if you ask me. I demoed the diablo also. It felt a little better than the NXG, but far from better compared to the POG IMHO.

I've tried and own many racquets, but I keep going back to the POG. I guess I found my stick for life. :)

yip kok kuin
07-09-2004, 08:10 PM
me too, this racket has no feel at all. groundstrokes are just do-able. volley are completely lost. serve; a pretty strong point ( but we can always serve out our opponent!). definitely not a player racket. not flexible. flex guide is misleading.

fuzzy balls
07-10-2004, 12:17 AM
I put lead tape at 2 & 10 and I think it rocks! I love the sound....the strings don't "buzz" like other raquets because there are no grommets to cause "vibration".I know most of you guys prefer the POG or the PS 6.0.....but I got turned on to the control of 18 X 20 and the feel/sound of "no grommets"....what can I say,to me it's a gem of a raquet.

tschevap
07-10-2004, 12:57 AM
I am a huge Prince fan, but this racket was just dissapointing...

I did not like it at all: way too stiff, no control, no feel...

Can´t believe, that this is Prince´ current top-of-the-line racket...

LoveThisGame
07-10-2004, 05:16 PM
First, WHICH NXG?

I've found the OS to be a delight and have switched to it. (Historically, I don't switch racquets frequently.)

A friend didn't like his new racquet, so I let him try some demos in my bag during warmup for doubles. He zeroed in on the NXG Graphite OS, and played the best I've seen him play. He bemoaned the money paid for his recent racquet (not to me). A few days later, he wanted to play again with it, and again he played very well. Part way through, I told him that the price had gone up :)

He bought; he's happy.

yip kok kuin
07-11-2004, 04:25 AM
mine is a mid. and is bad. maybe oz is good but I already give up. happily found a wilson ultra 2. very old but very good.

KFwinds
07-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Are you guys using the midsize NXG? 'cause it's the worst of the three. The first one I hit with was the oversize; which was good, but I ended up getting the MP and I'm very pleased with this stick. Nice heft, nice pop - maybe too much on groundies. I'm working right now with strings and tension to get some more control, but serves and volleys are outstanding. I'm not sure why so many people are bashing this stick, except that it has an extremely muted feel due to all the built-in technology. Once you get used to the feel, this racquet plays great IMO.

TennsDog
07-11-2004, 04:49 PM
I just played a few sets over the weekend with the extra weight at 3 and 9 and it felt MUCH better. I cannot even compare what a difference it made. I didn't add as much as I did to my 300Gs and none in the handle, so I wasn't sure it would make that big of a difference. But it is now much more solid and feels better. I find the control is great with decent power, but I am going to try my own hybrid on it about 2-3# lower for a little added pop. I thought my 300Gs had good control, but damn! I still don't like the slightly denser string pattern, though, as it hurts my serve a little, but my groundstrokes are awesome. It helped both my serve return and backhand slice my first time out. I was actually impressed. I think it felt lighter to me at first was because I had added so much weight to my 300Gs that I expected 12oz to be heavier, but I must have made them near 12oz. I got this one used for $60 and am now considering buying another for the same price, whether I switch right now or not. I think I will be using this racket in the future.

bob
07-12-2004, 04:31 PM
I just bought a lightly used nxg os after demoing one. I'm a 4.5 mostly baseline guy who has been playing with a POG OS for around a year. Here's some comments:

-I had my nxg strung with prince syn gut duraflex 16g at 60 lbs. The stick felt too harsh and I was hitting a lo of groundstrokes long.

-I restrung it at 58 lbs with wilson sensation 16g at the suggestion of my local stringer who I think strings thousands of racquets a year. This stick plays a lot softer and my groundies are starting to stay in.

-Here's a comparison of the pog os vs. the nxg os (based on hitting with the nxg 4-5 times; hitting with the pog os for over a year):

-volleys: like the nxg a lot better very crisp
-overheads: like the nxg better
-serves: I think I like the nxg a little better,,,it's swings a lot lighter so I have to get used to the quicker headspeed.

-groundies:
-the nxg is great for touch approach shots, slices, and chips.
-I had a little trounble keeping my forehand topspin drive from going long. It played a lot better the one time I played aflter I had it restrung.

My elbow felt a little sore after hitting with the nxg but no big deal.

All things considered I think I can play better with the nxg (than the pog os) once I learn how to control the added power a little more. However, my approach chips, slices, volley's are better now.

The nxg os feels stiffer than the pog os even though they are both rated the same. If you get an nxg os get it strung with a soft string.

Just my 2 cents.

bob
07-13-2004, 07:31 PM
I just hit again with my NXG OS after getting it restrung. This is an incredible stick. It doesn't feel as soft as my POG OS, but I can blast my forehand with a lot better than I can with el POGO.

I don't know anything about other nxg models but the OS rocks!

Sorry for replying to my own post but I'm pretty psyched.

poncho
08-26-2004, 07:11 AM
I just demoed the NXG and liked it. I got the OS version. What is the default string and tension that Tennis Warehouse strings these racquets with? I think the string I got was Prince Supreme. Is that the normal string you get? TW website talks about the trend using different strings for vertical and horizontal. Has anyone done this for this racquet? What string and tension did you choose? :lol: