PDA

View Full Version : England doesnt care for Henman no more?

friedalo1
06-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Puting Henman against Fed in the seacond round is like a sheep being eaten by the wolf. But at least there going to try to get rid of all the best grass players in Fed draw.

Feņa14
06-23-2006, 04:33 PM
The draw is random I think? I don't believe its possible to fix it in that way.

As for us not caring, far from it.

Jonas
06-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Trust me, that wasn't their intention. Sometimes that's just the way the cookie crumbles.
Although, Murray is a Scott, and wants nothing to do with an English affiliation he is the best bet to hoist the cup one day.
He has a smoothe grass game and should give Andy Roddick all he can handle on in round 3 (and will have a 50/50 shot imo of beating him) as opposed to a less than 10% chance last year.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-23-2006, 05:11 PM
they shouldn't not care, ATM he has the best talent to win Wimbledon.Too bad he got unlucky with the draw.

Feņa14
06-23-2006, 05:14 PM
they shouldn't not care, ATM he has the best talent to win Wimbledon.Too bad he got unlucky with the draw.

I agree, I feel he stands a better chance of winning Wimbledon than Murray does at the moment. Shame the draw means that we won't get some Henman fireworks, possibly for the last time ever at SW19.

slice bh compliment
06-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Yeah, but can you imagine if somehow, Their Timmy beats RF? The English would see him as the new top seed and he would be expected to romp to the title. Henmania at a fever pitch.

Not bloody likely. But fun to imagine.

baros
06-23-2006, 05:17 PM
fed could get upset henman is 6-4 against him.
________
Ford India (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_India)

shawn1122
06-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Didn't Henman recently take a set off him at the Gerry Weber Open?

slice bh compliment
06-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Actually, Henman played Queen's Club and ended up losing in three to Hewitt. RF went three with a few other cats in Halle.
Halle, Halle.

Feņa14
06-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Yeah, but can you imagine if somehow, Their Timmy beats RF? The English would see him as the new top seed and he would be expected to romp to the title. Henmania at a fever pitch.

Not bloody likely. But fun to imagine.

Oh man England would be on fire!

Anything less that going all the way after that would be considered as a failure by the "Two Week Tennis Season" fans that constitute the majority of the English spectators.

I have admit I would be going mad too if he beat Federer. I know he won't go all the way but it would be another chapter of the Henman/Wimbledon story and who knows? Maybe even the closing chapter.

Robbie_1988
06-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Good old Tim's time is over. He's had his chances.

superman1
06-23-2006, 05:53 PM
It does seem like England hates Henman, especially after those bad calls that cost him a Queen's club final.

But this is all random, supposedly.

Steve Dykstra
06-23-2006, 05:59 PM
It does seem like England hates Henman, especially after those bad calls that cost him a Queen's club final.

How did a bad line call cost Henman a Queen's club final? Hewitt won 6-3 3-6 6-2. The two sets he lost were not even tight, how could a bad line call make a difference?

Feņa14
06-23-2006, 06:12 PM
How did a bad line call cost Henman a Queen's club final? Hewitt won 6-3 3-6 6-2. The two sets he lost were not even tight, how could a bad line call make a difference?

In all fairness Henman was up 2-0 in the final set and had some abosolutely shocking line calls go against him and Hewitt was acting up as usual. Henman uncharacteristically lost his cool and his game fell apart.

I believe one call came on break point down and once Hewitt had benefitted from the decision he ran away with it. Before these incidents Henman was looking good for the match.

Steve Dykstra
06-24-2006, 10:44 AM
In all fairness Henman was up 2-0 in the final set and had some abosolutely shocking line calls go against him and Hewitt was acting up as usual. Henman uncharacteristically lost his cool and his game fell apart.

I believe one call came on break point down and once Hewitt had benefitted from the decision he ran away with it. Before these incidents Henman was looking good for the match.

So, there was a bad line call that made it 2-1 instead of 3-0? Was it actually a bad call, or was it just a close call? Either way, Hewitt won 5 straight games after that, so I think its a load of bull to say that the line calls cost him the match.

exruda
06-24-2006, 11:19 AM
So, there was a bad line call that made it 2-1 instead of 3-0? Was it actually a bad call, or was it just a close call? Either way, Hewitt won 5 straight games after that, so I think its a load of bull to say that the line calls cost him the match.
It was a call that gave Hewitt the rebreak of serve:
Henman was 0-40 down, regrouped, got three big first serves in, and saved all three breakpoints with subsequent winners -- only that the third winner was judged out (and it was not close, it was pure wrong) by a line judge who initially did not call it out but changed his mind after he saw Hewitt celebrating. At that point Henman called for the tournament supervisor, but the damage was done.
This was another in a series of horribly wrong line calls (all in the favor of Hewitt), and Henman totally deconcentrated and broke down afterwards. Could not put a ball in court or a first serve in.

For me it was obvious it was the bad calls' fault he broke down.
This is not to say that he would have not choked otherwise; perhaps he would.

Feņa14
06-24-2006, 11:48 AM
^^ Well said :)

a guy
06-24-2006, 02:09 PM
I think expectation is still there by some but its a lot less, cos there's Murray now and Henmans an old codger now.

MTChong
06-24-2006, 02:53 PM

Do you actually play tennis? You understand that there is a mental aspect; and in the pros, one lapse can cost a whole match.

arosen
06-24-2006, 02:59 PM
England v.s. Ecuador, THAT is what's on everyone's mind, I betcha. With the world cup action heating up, Tim will have no spotlight pressure whatsoever. He might quite enjoy that one, actually.

zolo
06-24-2006, 04:02 PM
Maybe Timmy will beat Fed!!
If Fed has a bad day and Tim a good one AND with the crowd all for Henman of course,you never know!

Tennis_Monk
06-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Do you actually play tennis? You understand that there is a mental aspect; and in the pros, one lapse can cost a whole match.

Being a seasoned veteran player , Tim should have known how to handle such issues. Every one gets occassional bad calls. They should be taken in stride and move on.

If all it needed is one bad call for Tim to loose his concentration, He cant win wimbledon. There wil be interruptions *due to rain etc* and there will be bad calls.

Regardless between hewitt and Henman, Hewitt is a better player and knows how to win.

tavi88
06-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Puting Henman against Fed in the seacond round is like a sheep being eaten by the wolf. But at least there going to try to get rid of all the best grass players in Fed draw.

but who is the sheep and who the wolf? henman beats fed H2H...

wyutani
06-24-2006, 07:47 PM
henman cannot play. maybe if he quit his s&v style, he may be top again...;)

MTChong
06-24-2006, 08:06 PM
henman cannot play. maybe if he quit his s&v style, he may be top again...;)

Man, you're still up to your inane comments even after coming back; I thought you'd have some sense now. Henman plays more an all court style now than strict serve and volley; and he has been doing so for almost a year now.

zolo
06-25-2006, 05:44 AM
I can't wait to see this match in the second round. I hope that Heman has a good game.

crazylevity
06-25-2006, 08:01 AM
i think it's more accurate to say that there was a bad call, and Henman let it get to him and lost the plot.

crazylevity
06-25-2006, 08:06 AM
double post

Steve Dykstra
06-25-2006, 10:22 AM

Of course I understand that, but I think exruda said it well. The bad call may have been a turning point, but you don't know that he would have been able to close out the match, so its kinda tough saying that the call cost him the match, when he very well might have lost anyway. I think Hewitt would have won regardless.

framebreaker
06-25-2006, 12:25 PM
henman is an arrogant jerk. i can't stand him at all. not surprised that einglish people don't admire him.

Shabazza
06-25-2006, 01:55 PM
henman is an arrogant jerk. i can't stand him at all. not surprised that einglish people don't admire him.
lol
Henman an arrogant jerk :rolleyes: - so way off the mark - nice trolling