PDA

View Full Version : Agassi to retire :(

zolo
06-24-2006, 04:17 AM
I guess we knew it was coming but still sad. What wonderful years of tennis and entertainment he has given us. He retires after the US Open.

malakas
06-24-2006, 04:20 AM
How do you know?Do you have a link?Thanx in advance

zolo
06-24-2006, 04:33 AM
I saw it on sky news in the UK.

This is from the BBC website. I'll paste below and put a link. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/5113046.stm

Agassi announces retirement date

Former Wimbledon champion Andre Agassi says he will retire after this year's US Open, which starts on 28 August.
The 36-year-old American has won eight Grand Slam singles titles in his career and is one of only five players to win all four Grand Slam events.

He is a former world number one and has pocketed winnings of more than Ģ17m.

Agassi claimed his first Grand Slam at Wimbledon in 1992 and has also won the Australian Open four times, the US Open twice and the French Open once.

"This Wimbledon will be my last and the US Open will be my last tournament," said Agassi on Saturday.

More to follow.

malakas
06-24-2006, 04:35 AM
Oh..so the rumours were true..:( ..Agassi will retire..:(

zolo
06-24-2006, 04:40 AM
I know, so sad :( He will be really missed. One of the best players ever and so much personality.

Court_Jester
06-24-2006, 04:55 AM
Agassi claimed his first Grand Slam at Wimbledon in 1992 and has also won the Australian Open four times, the US Open twice and the French Open once.
Maybe that's why ESPN Classic showed this match yesterday against Goran Ivanisevic. Or maybe just a coincidence.

CJ

exruda
06-24-2006, 04:58 AM
:( I knew he couldn't last forever, but it's so sad nonetheless...

Condoleezza
06-24-2006, 05:07 AM
I guess we knew it was coming but still sad. What wonderful years of tennis and entertainment he has given us. He retires after the US Open.

:(
Riding into the sunset.
With his formidable wife and his cute kids.
He will be sorely missed ...

Condi

BTW, what about some mixed doubles exhibition matches with Steffi?:D

milo
06-24-2006, 05:09 AM
great player though. still fighting.

unjugon
06-24-2006, 05:09 AM
When someone dies, itīs not a good moment to bash and criticize him/her.

As I donīt care about that, let me be the first to point out that Agassi was acting like an arrogant jerk on court for a few years already -Goldstein episode and others. Glad heīll be gone soon, wasnīt a fan of him.

zolo
06-24-2006, 05:12 AM
Riding into the sunset.
With his formidable wife and his cute kids.
He will be sorely missed ...

Condi

BTW, what about some mixed doubles exhibition matches with Steffi?:D

Now that would be fun!

BaseLineBash
06-24-2006, 05:17 AM
Andre Agassi. He is tennis' biggest and most popular player EVER. I'm saddened and understanding at the same time. Fans, fellow players, sports analysts, commentators, world leaders, adults, children and athletes all over the World respect this man whether they like him or not. We can not even fathom the hole this will leave in the sport and in the hearts of all the loyal tennis fans. It will be as if something is always missing from this game that is loved by so many. Inspiration period.

zolo
06-24-2006, 05:19 AM
Andre Agassi. He is tennis' biggest and most popular player EVER. I'm saddened and understanding at the same time. Fans, fellow players, sports analysts, commentators, world leaders, adults, children and athletes all over the World respect this man whether they like him or not. We can not even fathom the hole this will leave in the sport and in the hearts of all the loyal tennis fans. It will be as if something is always missing from this game that is loved by so many. Inspiration period.

Great post!! You summed it up beautifully :)

Kobble
06-24-2006, 05:22 AM
It should be interesting to watch the ratings of tennis after his departure. My bet is it goes down, way down. This guy could single handedly outdraw 3/4 of the field. Maybe more.

HyperHorse
06-24-2006, 05:27 AM
another legend bites the dust...
although i have to say at the start of his career he was a bit brash/cocky/bit of a jerk, as outlined by UnJugon.. but what is this Goldstein incident???
can u tell us/me more???

anyway half way thru his career he realised he had so many missed opportunities, had some injury problems.. then refocused himself...
I'll remember him for the sportsman that he was in the last 10yrs...
although i wasnt always a big fan of his game...
amen, Andre...

Vantage231511
06-24-2006, 05:31 AM
Love him or hate him, Andre was good for tennis, and underneath the early brashness of his career is a man with a heart of gold.

Lets all give him the boost he needs to win the US Open this year and go out on a high note.

Jonas
06-24-2006, 05:32 AM
We all knew it was coming, but I just figured that he would hang around a couple more years and play the majors. Anyhow, I have enjoyed watching him and buying a lot of his shoes/gear earlier on. Tennis will suffer greatly from this loss. Should be one HECK of a sendoff at this year's US open.
I herd at one point AA sold more shoes than Michael Jordan?? Could that be true?

sandiegotennisboy
06-24-2006, 06:28 AM
im sad about this news. andre is an icon to the sport and will be missed.

i wonder if any present player can match his longevity?

diegaa
06-24-2006, 06:47 AM
Sad, sad news.... who will my mom be supporting now? He´s been her fav player since the begining.. She knows how to pick the ones.
Good luck andre!

sliceroni
06-24-2006, 06:57 AM
I no I sound like a wus but who care, I'll probably cry. I agree, love him or hate him he meant so much to this sport. :(

buder
06-24-2006, 06:57 AM
I'm getting tickets to the first 4 nights of the
Open. I predict a first or second round exit -- and I want to be there for his last match.

austro
06-24-2006, 07:02 AM
Guys, relax, he's just retiring, not dying...

BabolatFan
06-24-2006, 07:11 AM
He's making the right decision. Hope he goes out with a big bang again at USO.

simi
06-24-2006, 07:24 AM
How do you know?Do you have a link?Thanx in advance

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=Ansm3eN7lQ3Q4vWU0YGR19I4v7YF?slug=ap-wimbledon-agassiretiring&prov=ap&type=lgns

RiosTheGenius
06-24-2006, 07:27 AM
this is going to affect me more than I thought .... I hope he stays around tennis, plays team tennis in the summer , etc.
Good Luck andre!

theace21
06-24-2006, 08:01 AM
I hope he makes a great run at the US Open. The fans will really be behind him...

irishbanger
06-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Although he will be missed as a player, this could be a real positive for tennis. Unlike Sampras, I don't think Agassi will disappear from the tennis scene. There has been talk of making Aggasi a "Tennis Commissioner", and someone with his presence, intelligence and fame could take tennis to new heights. Let's hope this is the case!

irishbanger
06-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Although he will be missed as a player, this could be a real positive for tennis. Unlike Sampras, I don't think Agassi will disappear from the tennis scene. There has been talk of making Aggasi a "Tennis Commissioner", and someone with his presence, intelligence and fame could take tennis to new heights. Let's hope this is the case!

slice bh compliment
06-24-2006, 09:00 AM
Commissioner of tennis (if that will ever exist)......>....magnetic concensus builder.......>.........diplomat or politician.

Or maybe he will work in broadcasting, continue his efforts at his charter school and build many more like it.

Andres
06-24-2006, 10:39 AM
He's too big of a media and sports icon. I'm sure he'll stay around.
But we're certainly going to miss him. I know I'm going to. :(

Good luck Andre! And raise and train that little kid of yours, so he can become the next Grand-Slammer! He got the right genes :)

malakas
06-24-2006, 10:53 AM
He's too big of a media and sports icon. I'm sure he'll stay around.
But we're certainly going to miss him. I know I'm going to. :(

Good luck Andre! And raise and train that little kid of yours, so he can become the next Grand-Slammer! He got the right genes :)

hahahaha!!indeed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSK3XnlI2Mw&search=Agassi

It seems that he's in the right track to become better than his parents!:mrgreen:

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-24-2006, 10:58 AM
thats sad, it's time though. I enjoyed watching the greatest serve returner of all time play and win titles. Hopefully he can have a good sendoff by winning both Wimbledon and the US Open.

Frodo Baggins
06-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Funny How the paper annouced it already:confused: >When infact Aggassi never told the public Yet :confused: Seems strange! (I'll belive it when it comes from Aggassi First!

emcee
06-24-2006, 11:04 AM
I think Agassi's an even longer shot than Sampras was in 2002 to win the US Open because Sampras still had his guns (serve) and could end points relatively quickly...good for an older player.

While I'll certainly be cheering for Andre, I just don't think anyone should get their hopes up for him to win the USO. Even in 2002, he looked exhausted in the final, and he's 4 years older now!

What was the Goldstein incident?

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-24-2006, 11:06 AM
who cares, all he needs is his serve return and his natural talent for taking the ball on the rise to win the USO. He took a set off Fed last year in the final.

exruda
06-24-2006, 11:09 AM
While I'll certainly be cheering for Andre, I just don't think anyone should get their hopes up for him to win the USO. Even in 2002, he looked exhausted in the final, and he's 4 years older now!

Well, but he made it to the USO final last year, playing some 5-setters on the way there, and if not for Fed waiting for him in the last match -- he could have well won the whole thing!

FEDEXP
06-24-2006, 11:10 AM
I don't think it's sad; it's about time, it's just reality. Don't forget the cortisone shots and injuries.

KBalla08
06-24-2006, 11:28 AM
I think Agassi's an even longer shot than Sampras was in 2002 to win the US Open because Sampras still had his guns (serve) and could end points relatively quickly...good for an older player.

What was the Goldstein incident?
ya it would be fitting if he did the same as my boy samp, win his final GS, or if he somehow won wimby, end his career with the 1st one he won, samp did that too

doriancito
06-24-2006, 11:31 AM
we dont have to b sad at all, we must ust give him a round a HUGE applause for all his effort, dedication and for being a leyend

Roger is Boring
06-24-2006, 11:54 AM
good bye and good luck tohim!

Andres
06-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Funny How the paper annouced it already:confused: >When infact Aggassi never told the public Yet :confused: Seems strange! (I'll belive it when it comes from Aggassi First!
It's on ATPTennis.com already.
You better believe it.

Saito
06-24-2006, 12:10 PM
When someone dies, it´s not a good moment to bash and criticize him/her.

As I don´t care about that, let me be the first to point out that Agassi was acting like an arrogant jerk on court for a few years already -Goldstein episode and others. Glad he´ll be gone soon, wasn´t a fan of him.
Guys, relax, he's just retiring, not dying...I don't think it's sad; it's about time, it's just reality. Don't forget the cortizone shots and injuries.

Agreed with unjugon, his fake personality won no points from me... :)

That aside, great job during career, but it's time to go....

Golden Retriever
06-24-2006, 12:16 PM
I love his game but its about time.

127 mph
06-24-2006, 12:37 PM
I was destroyed when he left nike. Now this, we are around the same age. I remember watching matches when he was just a teenager. He felt like part of the family. I have collected so much of his stuff. I think that the early Andre kicked a>s. He would reach levels of play that have seldom ever been reached. I can't go on. Sad day.

hoosierbr
06-24-2006, 12:47 PM
It is a sad day for Andre and tennis but at least he's going out on his own schedule. His body has finally told him it's time to stop but he' setting the schedule which is how it should be.

He says he'll enter up to four warm-up events this summer before the Open. My guess is they'll be Los Angeles, D.C. and the Masters in Toronto and Cincy. Four extra chances to see him if he does play all four of them. This year's Open will be an emotional one for many, inlcuding me. I'll do whatever I have to be there again.

Warriorroger
06-24-2006, 12:55 PM
When someone dies, itīs not a good moment to bash and criticize him/her.

As I donīt care about that, let me be the first to point out that Agassi was acting like an arrogant jerk on court for a few years already -Goldstein episode and others. Glad heīll be gone soon, wasnīt a fan of him.

You should give English lesson to your dumb fellow Spaniard, who almost speaks none.

unjugon
06-24-2006, 01:07 PM
You should give English lesson to your dumb fellow Spaniard, who almost speaks none.
I was born in Germany. :(

Condoleezza
06-24-2006, 02:46 PM
I was destroyed when he left nike. ...

You were a nike sales manager back then??:confused:

Condi

joesixtoe
06-24-2006, 03:13 PM
well lets rally behind him, and try a push him to win one of these next grandslams.

exruda
06-24-2006, 03:18 PM
well lets rally behind him, and try a push him to win one of these next grandslams.
Hmm I want Fed to win Wimbledon, but I agree to have Agassi take the USO :mrgreen:

Wondertoy
06-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Agassi has no chance of winning any thing, that's why he's retiring. He had a good run, but now he's a boring player...time to move on. He was only interesting when he played Sampras, i.e., the contrasting styles. Otherwise he could nodoz me with his predictable Wardlaw robotic game.

GroundMaster
06-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Latest news about Agassi's retirement with comments from other tennis players:

http://sg.sports.yahoo.com/060625/1/41pfu.html

It's sad to see the end of an era.

What made Agassi quite unique was that he made a comeback midway through his career and returned as a calm and cool operator.

superman1
06-24-2006, 05:41 PM

Bad news, but expected.

Well, here's hoping Agassi can pull something out of that magic hat of his and do some great things in his last few months of tennis. July, August, September. Three months left to watch my favorite player ever.

Alafter
06-24-2006, 05:47 PM
I feel quite sad for Agassi. I think the past year or 2 must have been quite painful for him...he's got solid technique, but his age catches up to him. He loses when he knows he might have won if only he wasw younger. Like last year US open, he might have been a much fiercer competitot vs federer if he was like, say, 26 yrs old.

I'd say it's a pretty painful feeling.

GroundMaster
06-24-2006, 05:55 PM
superman1, he was one of the most colorful players on the circuit, and what made his journey all the more interesting was his transformation after marrying graf.

kooyah
06-24-2006, 09:33 PM

Honestly, I do not want his kids to play tennis because the expectations will be enormous because of who the parents are. No one could possibly live up to those expectations.

I've seen him play at the US Open before and now I want to go see him one last time.

GroundMaster
06-25-2006, 12:23 AM
Honestly, I do not want his kids to play tennis because the expectations will be enormous because of who the parents are. No one could possibly live up to those expectations.

I've seen him play at the US Open before and now I want to go see him one last time.
I don't see why not?

Look at the Andretti family in Champ Car races. There are 3 generations involved in it and they are leaving a legacy behind.

It would be interesting to see if the Agassis can do the same in tennis.

BiGGieStuFF
06-25-2006, 05:25 AM

I've seen him play at the US Open before and now I want to go see him one last time.What are you kidding? I'm going to go ahead and predict their kid to be GOAT, but only because it's really Pete's kid :p :mrgreen: ;)

BaseLineBash
06-25-2006, 08:13 AM
Roger Federer weighs in...
"He's aggressive non-stop. That's his game. He's definitely not going to change it because of the opponent or anything," Federer said.

"He always stays aggressive no matter how the opponent plays. That you have to admire.

"He was one of the best returners in the game, obviously one of the most colourful personalities from going where he came from, then coming all the way and still playing today at 36 years old."

"It's an incredible effort. It is an incredible achievement to win all four grand slams.

"The way he did it, it was basically unexpected both times. To win Wimbledon, he beat Goran (Ivanisevic in 1992). Nobody really expected him to win here.

"To win at the French (Open in 1999) against (Ukraine's Andrei) Medvedev, that came as a surprise, too, although he should have won earlier."

"We are losing a big legend of the game, so it's never pleasant," said triple Wimbledon champion Federer.

"But I think he's had a terrific career. I was lucky enough to play against him. Maybe we'll play more, maybe here, maybe down in America."

Exile
06-25-2006, 10:00 PM
I wouldn't say he is completely gone...

With any luck, half of him is coming back if you know what I mean..

superman1
06-25-2006, 10:23 PM
It would really be great to see one of his kids come up. Genetically they will be superb and they will have access to some of the greatest tennis minds ever, so I don't see why it couldn't happen. From what Agassi has said, I get the feeling he'd really like to see his kids develop a passion for tennis.

kooyah
06-25-2006, 10:57 PM
I don't see why not?

Look at the Andretti family in Champ Car races. There are 3 generations involved in it and they are leaving a legacy behind.

It would be interesting to see if the Agassis can do the same in tennis.

That's a pretty big IF. Comments like "I don't see why not" show that already, simply because of who their parents are, the children have enormous expectations on their shoulders. If one of them tries it professionally, so many people will be watching to see not only if he manages to win a major tournament, but how many he will win. Anything less than multiple slams and the child will probably be labeled a disappointment.

If one of the children starts to play, then EVERYONE'S eyes will be on him and he will be very much aware of it. How do you think that's going to affect the child's psyche? If he's not good enough or doesn't develop at a rate fast enough to please tennis fans, at every waking moment the child is going to have to deal with people saying, "Oh, he's not as good as his parents. I wonder why not" or "Such a shame he's not that good, considering his parents. I bet they're disappointed." Again, how will that affect the child mentally?

Yes, genetically the potential is there, but genes don't always work out the way people want them to work out. The children have great parents and MIGHT turn out to be great players themselves. But really, they don't deserve to grow up with such ridiculous expectations on their shoulders.

Gilgamesh
06-25-2006, 11:00 PM
It would have been amazing if Agassi beat Fed last year at the UO finals and retired like his nemesis Sampras did.

Great player, tremendous competitor, incredible athlete.

I hope they give him a standing O every last tournament he plays in for the rest of the tour.

scotus
06-26-2006, 04:11 PM
With full rest, sciatica can heal in a year or two. So who knows? Agassi might make a comeback in a couple of years.

I would love to see the day a 40-year old routinely beats 20-year olds on the ATP Tour.

mowcopian
06-26-2006, 04:13 PM
agasii, the legend tht he is, is finally goin to retire. At the us open!!!

FedererUberAlles
06-27-2006, 09:02 PM
seniors tour time!

BiGGieStuFF
06-27-2006, 09:06 PM
seniors tour time!

I'd be slightly interested in a women's senior tour ONLY if Graf plays. I wonder how she would do. Also I wonder how she would do against players today. It would be interesting to say the least.

HyperHorse
06-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Pffft COMEBACK?!?!?
yeah right, he's played the longest since Connors...
honestly he could have retired last year, and still be happy...
but he wants to play one more year, cause he can..
but i think he's mentally ready to retire, and his body cant take anymore stress...
Honestly you cannot say he's unhappy about his career...
Another legend rides into the sunset...........

Condoleezza
06-28-2006, 10:56 AM
I'd be slightly interested in a women's senior tour ONLY if Graf plays. I wonder how she would do. Also I wonder how she would do against players today. It would be interesting to say the least.

Which retired player would have a chance against Graf?
Maybe Novotna or Capriati?
Seles and Serena definitely not ...

Condi