PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Here Have Exercise Asthma ?

living4tennis
07-09-2004, 02:18 PM
I started distance running a few years ago but had to stop because of pollution...it really affects my tennis too. I don't want to get hooked on an inhaler and allergy shots didn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions how to deal with this ?(other than moving of course). It's definitely messing up my tennis game.

sinoslav
07-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Yes, I have exercise-induced asthma. For most of my life I've used an albuterol inhaler before exercising. I don't know how bad your asthma is, but I highly recommend that you try using albuterol and keep an inhaler around. It isn't addictive at all.

Over the last three years (I'm 30 now), my asthma became more of a problem and I've started using a corticosteroid inhaler. A corticosteroid inhaler is totally different, it treats the underlying inflammation that leads to asthma, but doesn't give short-term relief. You should be more cautious about starting on a corticosteroid inhaler; once you start, you can't just stop on a dime (you need to do it over the course of a few weeks). That said, the corticosteroid inhaler has really dealt with my asthma very effectively. I almost never need to use albuterol any more.

As far as non-drug-related things: there are breathing exercises you can try, but I've never had much success with them.

Morpheus
07-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Yes. Exercise induced and cold weather induced.

I use Albuterol (2 puffs) just before I play. Works like a charm.

Where do you live that you get so much pollution?

Coda
07-09-2004, 07:02 PM
albuterol works wonders, take a few puffs right before a match and I'm good to go

max8176
07-09-2004, 10:19 PM
I have had asthma ever since I am five and now I am 27. I have been playing tennis for almost over a decade now and my medical condition does create some problems for me sometimes. While exercising does not really induce my asthma, the condition of the environment does. I have to pay close attention to temperature changes as I believe it is the main cause of my asthma. A few months ago, I started using Advir and it helped a lot. I dont have to use my albuterol inhaler as often.

living4tennis
07-10-2004, 02:35 AM
In the summer I live in Bethany Beach along the coast of Delaware right next to Ocean City MD. It's directly east of the Ohio Valley with all it's industry. Now when a front stalls on the coast and the wind is blowing from the west and the dew point is around 75F well you can imagine! Add to that the thousands of people who cram into this little town with their SUVs and it only took 2 summers of running/ sprinting for the asthma to take hold. Just when my tennis game really started taking off then this happens. I think I'll go with Albuterol because I think my family is allergic to corticosteroids. I'm convinced that they are what gave my father his anuerism.

NLBwell
07-10-2004, 08:27 PM
Cutting and pasting from another thread

LIVING FOR TENNIS !!!

If you are experiencing asthma GET A RESCUE INHALER!!! You should have an Albuterol inhaler in your tennis bag at all times. An asthma attack can kill you (as it did my grandmother and a mom of one of the kids on my son's football team). The albuterol inhaler does not have cortisone. It is related to caffine - if you get in trouble coffee or a Coke will help you a little bit (versus instant relief with an inhaler.

If you think you might have some asthma trouble (maybe lots of pollution), you can take a puff or two before you play. If not, it is there if you need it. You can build up a tolerance to it, so don't overdo it.

If the asthma is persistant, a cortisone inhaler will help a lot. It may go away completely. It takes about 4 days for it to take effect. The cortisone does not get into your system, so you don't have to worry about that. You may want to wash your mouth out after you use it, so that there are no effects on your mouth. There are also new medicines that have a similar long term effect, which I believe don't have cortisone. Your doctor should know all about this, check with him (or her).

Per Sinoslav's comments - You do have to worry about cutting off oral steroids very slowly, but I don't think it is a concern with the cortisone inhaler - Ask your doctor, though. Per your worry about allergies - check on the new inhalers that are available - maybe Flovent. Also, I used to have a little white inhaler that was just for execise induced Asthma (Can't remember the name, maybe Intal?).

My asthma is pretty much gone unless I crawl into a dusty attic or something or get a bronchial infection. Primarily due to my magnets and Pi water - both from NIKKEN.

swatter
07-12-2004, 12:02 AM
I have (had) exercise induced asthma but seem to have it under control now i.e no reliever(salbutamol) or preventative. I have almost no symptoms..no wheezing or reduced lung function. I take omega 3 fats from food and capsules and take magnesium tablets. The rationale behind this is as follows. The omega 3 fats reduce the inflammation in the airways (and elsewhere) and the Mg helps to relax the smooth muscle tissue surrounding the airways. I can't be sure if I would have 'grown out of it' or if the supplements have helped. The biochemistry/physiology underpinning the rationale is sound.

It can't do you any harm to try. It would probably take a month or two before you see any change.

gokou703
07-12-2004, 10:52 PM
i've had astham since i was 3 years old, i'm 21 now. my asthma is allergy, temperature, and exercise induced. i basically take flonase to keep my allergies controlled, which significantally keeps my astham controlled. during times of when the temperature is very cold, i keep myself extremely warm, and take flovent to keep any asthmatic coughs from occuring. for my exercise induced asthma i never play tennis when its extremely cold. i try to keep myself inshape, by playing tennis, basketball, and swimming. swimming helps my asthma so much, it just strengthens my lungs so much, it seems as if my lungs have increased its air capacity after a workout in the pool. my best suggestion for you is to see a doctor though and get the right prescription drugs to suit your needs. you may be presribed intal for the prevention of any asthma attacks, or the stronger drug albuterol, which works great for me. youy should always have a fast active inhaler with you if an asthma attack occurs. you might even want a nebulizer machine at home, which saved my brothers and my lives many times when we were young children. my nephew uses the nebulizer pretty often. if i were you, i would just see my doctor asap. it could save you a lot of pain