PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here ever bought a racquet off of E-bay...

andinico
07-09-2004, 02:24 PM
or for that matter, do you know anyone that has and has been satisfied? What's everyone's general feeling about purchasing a racquet from E-Bay? I just don't want to drop a significant amount of money on an unsure thing. Although I must say, some of the sellers on there seem to have ALOT of racquets and sell them for pretty cheap prices. Where do these people get all these new racquets from anyway? I would very much appreciate it if any of you could share your experiences (if any) that you've had purchasing racquets from E-Bay. Thanks in advance!

dantyem108
07-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Ya, I have bought a few rackets off ****. The main thing is to CHECK THE SELLERS FEEDBACK, this should tell you how trustworthy the seller is. Otherwise, a racket is a racket.

Progressive10s
07-09-2004, 02:45 PM
The dealers are very reputable. If they weren't **** would get rid of them. I have purchased four racquets on ****. A Prince Graphite Classic OS, a Prince Thunderlite Longbody OS, a Prince Precision Equipe OS, and Wilson Tour 90 (which I subsequently sold on the message boards here). All of the transactions were very handled very professionally and quickly.

You just have to know what you want. Look carefully at the descriptions because some sellers don't bother to include detailed descriptions and I will pass those by. Make sure that you have eithered play tested what you want or are adding to the model you have. My only qualm has been the shipping. I have always wrapped my racquets securely in bubblewrap or newspaper, but some folks ship the racquets in a shipping box itself.

dantyem108
07-09-2004, 02:50 PM
ya, the shipping can be a problem, so if insurance is optional, I would reccomend paying the extra $2-3. Another thing is to not be afraid to ask the seller a question about the item, and most sellers will string rackets, so ask for their selection.

andinico
07-09-2004, 02:56 PM
the feedback of those who I am looking at buying from is excellent, so I guess that's always a good thing. Just amazes me how some of these people can get so many new racquets and can sell them for so cheap. Any ideas?

Again, thanks for the advice!

dantyem108
07-09-2004, 02:58 PM
ya, I have no idea. I guess it just proves something about the big time sellers such as this website (no pun intended, this is a great website and I have bought many rackets here)

jayserinos99
07-09-2004, 02:59 PM
if i was buying used, i would make sure there were pictures of the racquets. buying new, there are a few dealers which have phone numbers you can call, just to confirm they have the model and grip size you're looking for. i've bought quite a few racquets on **** and haven't been dissappointed yet.

Simbah2004
07-09-2004, 04:39 PM
I've bougth two, and they were new. They came promptly and as described. Quite reputable seller, make sure you read the RED comments, even if there are not many. That should give you an idea.
But I would not buy an used frame unless the price was so ridiculous that even if I spent money and the racquet came banged up I would not be mad. No matter how many pictures are taken, some details can't be seen.

Gaines Hillix
07-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Try to use a credit card to make the purchase. If not use PayPal or ck the level of e-Bay buyer protection you will have on the purchase. Of course, as the others said double ck the sellers feedback. I am sure there are lots of surplus racquets available if you know the right sources. New models turn over so fast the manufacturers and distributors have to have some way of unloading them. Ck the online dealers to make sure you're really getting a better deal. You may end up paying just as much and not getting any warranty from the seller.

Chanchai
07-09-2004, 06:31 PM
My experience was pretty good. Though I wonder if the dealer I bought my racquets from were getting them from a warehouse or was maybe a pro of sorts getting sweet deals (though I imagine that's breach of contract).

When reading feedback, it is best to read the negatives. Most people will leave positive feedback no matter what, as long as it got to them around the time they expected it.... It also doesn't help in my mind when people leave feedback like: "Excellent seller!!! A+++++++!!!!"

You shouldn't trust all negative reviews, but you should look to see if there's a consistent trend.

Also make sure that the grip size is correct and that you make sure it's absolutely clear. I accidentally got grip sizes too big on two racquets, but I ended up trading them for appropriate sizes with local racqet dealers, on certain conditions though.

And ALWAYS look at the shipping cost. I'm sure you'll look at it anyways, but many people neglect it and tennis racquets are so light that they shouldn't be that expensive for shipping (it's one of those funny things about racquets, take up so much space and yet because they're so light, you get a nicer price on shipping--but that means they can actually load up the carrier unit with them, instead of worrying about excessive weight).

I highly recommend using PayPal. However, there may be some emails from people claiming to be paypal but aren't. Always put your vital data on the Paypal site when working with them, NEVER through email. Paypal is generally pretty safe and speedy.

-Chanchai

Shane Reynolds
07-09-2004, 08:17 PM
I have 9 racquets there now but they're through the new Trading Circuit store at Circuit City. They guarantee everything on both sides of the exchange. Besides the fear that my racquets will sell for $0.99 and the 35% commission they take, I am satisfied. And in case you're curious, I normally buy an average of two racquets a month for the playing season (five + months here in GA) in the continuing quest for the perfect racquet. I was holding on to a few but I decided to move up a grip size so I am selling everything (Fischers and Wilsons). I bought a Tour Diablo MP last week but my eye is already wandering again.

Steve Huff
07-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Yes, I have bought a few. So far, I've gotten very good deals

TripleThreatPlayer
07-09-2004, 11:04 PM
I've bought racquets off ****(Jack Kramer millenium Autograph, Surge.) Most of the sellers are respectable, and dependable (such as impunger). Be sure to check the feedback of the user (Good to bad ratio), also if you get paypal you can get a $500 insurance. Most of these guys own shops, or warehouses.

D. Nelson
07-09-2004, 11:31 PM
....I've bought AND sold aBUNCH on ****...with some of YOU...!!! Best ideas have already been mentioned : read FEEDBACK...check pictures....ask questions..... :)

JohnThomas1
07-10-2004, 05:03 AM
I have bought over 15 and never been let down. Feedback is a big key. If someone has like 1500 feedbacks and 99% positive what more need be said.

joe sch
07-10-2004, 05:03 AM
**** is always a risk. Most sellers are honest but many attempt to sell tennis rackets and have no idea what a "nice racket" is. This is especially risky with wood rackets as most have no idea how to check for warpage or wood damage. Feedback rating help but are still not very accurate. Even dishonest sellers will often have 98% + fb ratings since most ****'ers will not give negative -fb's for fear of reply so the feedback system is really worthless :( You can find some bargains or purchase some firewood :wink:

Emagdnim
07-10-2004, 01:20 PM
I bought my HPS 6.0's on **** and was very happy with them. Yeah, pictures are really great especially if they do a lot of them encapsulating the whole frame. I originally bought 2 of them and the seller threw in another one since he was changing racquets and wanted to get rid of all of them, all were 8/10+ :)

thel
07-10-2004, 01:40 PM
I've bought a couple of frames off of ****. The transactions were smooth and the frames were pretty much as described. These days there seem to be more and more retailers selling new frames quite inexpensively on ****, some notable ones being in Canada.

Onecoldcat
07-10-2004, 02:14 PM
I bought and sold several racquets on ****...and have only been disappointed once...it was still an excellent deal overall...the seller did not disclose that it had been a demo.

I would reccommend trying to contact the seller in advance before the auction ends ask them a question. If they respond back and are friendly this is generally a good sign. Whenever I get someone who doesn't return an email I go somewhere else.

Generally, you can trust the auctions that provide a lot of info on the racquet, that shows that they want to provide you with as much information as possible up front. Although...I have found a couple of steals because they didn't know what they had and didn't know how to sell it to the public!

Also, check out the the For Sale or Trade boards here are a great place to look as well.

greg_in_atl
07-11-2004, 06:26 AM
I just bought 2 new prince racquets from a seller on **** and was very pleased.

This seller had very positive feedback & answered my email questions.

I effectively got 2 racquets for the price of 1 doing it this way.

Bo
07-12-2004, 08:55 AM
I have bought over 30 rackets off **** and sold a few that I do not want. always ask the sell if the racket is of the grip size, length, weight you want. i will judge by the photos and feedbacks of the seller.

Stinkdyr
07-12-2004, 08:57 AM
If I see more than 2% bad feedback, I don't bother dealing with that seller. Otherwise, all good experiences.

Feņa14
07-12-2004, 08:59 AM
I got a Prestige Classic 600 of **** for $12.

The seller didn't have a clue!!

-Liam

D. Nelson
07-12-2004, 09:05 AM
OUCH !! That's pretty U^$^!!! good..."I" must have been out of town..... :)

Feņa14
07-12-2004, 09:09 AM
I was just bored so was looking through the items and found one saying "Old Head racket"

So I just looked and saw the unmistakable PC600 and got lucky.

People mainly look for the words "light" and only buy it if it is brightly coloured and has a name like "Rocket Launcher".

The seller said that it is very old and very heavy and found it in his basement, so to the untrained eye it was rubbish.

It's all about having time to look for the gold.

-Liam

D. Nelson
07-12-2004, 09:13 AM
.....sssshhh!!!! That's still better left UNSAID !!!

BaselineAce
07-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Just remember: "New" doesn't mean the product is brand new and in its original packaging.

ucd_ace
07-12-2004, 02:18 PM
I just bought two Pure Control's off of E-Bay and everything went smoothly. Just like others have said, check to see that the feedback has been good and check to see what the negative feedback was about. I also made sure that they had made a considerable amount of transactions and I prefered finding actual stores that sold stuff on E-Bay for my racquets. That way it feels a little more formal. Just don't be careless and look at the exact wording of what the auction was for and I think you'll do fine. I've bought a couple or racquets off of E-Bay and the TW classifieds and everything went well even though I wasn't too sure of it when I first started off. Good luck!

Steve Huff
07-12-2004, 03:01 PM
I've bought 4 or 5 older rackets. Have always received what I bought.