PDA

View Full Version : Which Fab Four guy has contibuted the most to tennis?

sureshs
06-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Now that the last of the Fab Four will retire in September, who has had the most impact?

And who has achieved the most in tennis? Sampras with his 14 slams (but no French) or Agassi, the only man to win all Slams on all modern surfaces?

And after 5 more years, Agassi is obviously going to make it to the Hall of Fame.

How will Chang and Courier be remembered in comparison?

3 of them are already back - Courier and Chang in the Senior tour, and Sampras in the WTT. How long before Andre is back?

hoosierbr
06-24-2006, 04:52 PM
All four contributed in their own way.

Chang was the first out of the gate with a Grand Slam title, setting the bar for the rest.

Courier took conditioning, dedication and training to new heights, an example followed and then exceeded by Agassi.

Sampras was the standard bearer, forcing everyone in the game to improve to catch and compete with him.

Agassi, in many ways, is the most enduring of the group. His crossover popularity made tennis big again and his duels with Sampras are legendary. He's left a legacy of excellence and longevity that I doubt will be equaled.

Most importantly all four left the state of American tennis better than how they found out and it's up to the new generation to carry it on. Roddick was alone for much of the recent history but last year Blake and Ginepri started to step up and do their part. Hopefully they will continue.

That doesn't mean there still isn't a big void left by the retirements of the first three and that it won't get even bigger when Andre rides into the sunset come September.

snoflewis
06-24-2006, 05:10 PM
like hoosiebr said, everyone has their own legacy and it sets a standard for the future tennis players around the world.

michael chang is pretty much a hero to all asian tennis players since he was undoubtedly the best asian tennis player ever.

sampras showed the importance of accuracy over power on serves, as we see now that roddick's serve is less effective than that of sampras.

and agassi set the standard for modern tennis pros today, showing that being 30 years old is not old enough to retire. here's a man at age 36 still being a threat to the top pros.

don't know too much about courier...so i cna't comment there

fastdunn
06-24-2006, 05:12 PM
I think Agassi's career is amazing. He made a couple of come-backs
from ranking down falls. I remember he was playing in challengers
tournament in the middle of his career. Even with all those distractions
of "Image is everyihgn" stiff and very rocky career, he somehow
ended up winning all 4 slams. Only man in hisory who won all 4 slams
on 3 very different surfaces. He even won the 5th salm, ATP master's
final on indoor carpet. I think it will always be unique record.

superman1
06-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Agassi did more for tennis than maybe any other male player. Just look at the style everyone uses today. It's funny to think that Agassi was always considered the punk and the underachiever, but when everyone else retired he kept playing, kept raising more for charity than any other athlete in history.

sureshs
06-24-2006, 06:34 PM
michael chang is pretty much a hero to all asian tennis players since he was undoubtedly the best asian tennis player ever.

What was Chang's highest ranking? I have heard that Ramanathan Krishnan had an informal ranking of 3 at one time before the Open Era.

sureshs
06-24-2006, 06:40 PM

And the Olympic gold.

My vote is for Agassi.

kv581
06-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Chang was ranked 2nd at his peak.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but, come on, Chang is an Asian American, a product of American tennis. No one refers to Agassi as the best Armenian tennis player, or Sampras as the top Greek player in history.

Tennis_Monk
06-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Andre is special for me because i got attracted to this game by watching him play. Probably The greatest returner of Serve, Agassi transcended a lot of barriers and widely popular across the world. I believe he did more than his share in making the game more appealing.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Pete will be remembered for his S&V game, his bomb serve,his knack for winning Wimbledon, his battles with Agassi, and being one of the most liked tennis players of all time.

Courier will be remembered for his on-court talent, such as his machine gun forehand.

Chang will be remembered as one of the most speedy guys on the court, getting every ball back. Also, he will be remembered for winning the French Open at age 17, and his famous semifinal match against Lendl on the road to his title.

And finally Andre. He will be remembered for his brash behavior and colorful outfits in his early days, and for of course winning all four slams. As for his talent, he had a natural knack for taking the ball on the rise, being the greatest serve returner to ever play the game, and having a steady baseline game. His battles with Pete bring back many pleasant memories, such as the "O2 USO final and the "OO Aussie open Semifinal. Finally, he will be remembered as one of the games legends and a person who has changed the game of tennis forever.

slice bh compliment
06-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Which of the Fab Four has contributed the most to tennis?

Good question. I think probably Paul McCartney.

Andres
06-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Which of the Fab Four has contibuted the most to tennis?

He IS a lefty, after all. :D

snoflewis
06-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Which of the Fab Four has contibuted the most to tennis?

i thought it was Dr. Phil....

wyutani
06-24-2006, 08:13 PM
i thought it was Dr. Phil....

who?

snoflewis
06-24-2006, 08:15 PM

Hate to beat a dead horse, but, come on, Chang is an Asian American, a product of American tennis. No one refers to Agassi as the best Armenian tennis player, or Sampras as the top Greek player in history.

why do they consider sharapova russian then? i know there's some controversy about that...but for the most part, sharapova is considered russian.

same question w/ marat safin. his tennis was taught in russia...but mainly developed in spain. shouldnt he be considered spanish instead of russian?

and for sureshs, like kv581 said, chang's highest ranking was 2nd.

slice bh compliment
06-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Phil McGraw. A leading self-help guru. Life coach to millions. All around nice-guy. Tennis player.
Uses a folksy common sense approach to help people through their trials and tribs. Most of his followers belong to a species known as stupidus americanus.

Viper
06-24-2006, 08:25 PM
All of them contributed the same thing. Sure all of them each had their own note worthy thing, but all of them did one MAJOR thing.

They showed that tennis is still alive in America.

slice bh compliment
06-24-2006, 08:37 PM
..... No one refers to Agassi as the best Armenian tennis player, or Sampras as the top Greek player in history.

Funny, I was just thinking during his presser today, Agassi is the greatest Armenian/Persian athlete I've ever seen up close (and I am counting Mansour Bahrami). And Pete is the top Greek tennis player of all time.
And, aye, that lad Johnny McEnroe is a credit to the Scottish and Irish people, as is his old friend Jimmy Connors.
Boy that Tom Gorman...finst Irish-American player of his day.
I think Paul Annacone has done so much for Italian-American tennis! Same with Lou Gloria, Nicky B. and Rick Macci! Joe Giuliano, not so much, though.
Glad Kevin Curren flew the flag as the finest South African tennis player who went to college in Texas.
Mary Carillo is the best Spanish-American player out of Queens to come along in a long time.
Who are your favorite Filipino-American players? Taino, Mamiit or the Junio brothers?
You know who was a hell of a Chicano player? That Pancho Gonzales. Man that Mexican-American could play some serious tennis!

[kidding]

You're right, most people do not really think that way.
But, I guess they see Asian people or Black people as SO different, though, that they cannot help themselves from classifying and labelling. It is more than an immigrant thing or an issue of nationality. It is sort of racial. Probably that way with Latins, too. I guess colorblindness is rare.

I think we ought to be more inclusive like the good folks of the UK. Elena Baltacha? Brilliant! Rusedski, welcome, eh! The Djokovic brothers, come on in! Jaime Delgado, Arvind Parmar = British Bulldogs all the same, like the Iranian-English kid who lost in the Wimbledon final to Monfils. And Andy Murray = Our Andy.

If somehow, Blake gets anywhere near the last weekend of Wimbledon, the Brits will welcome him as their own 'cos of hees Mum.

Does France see Yannick and Gael this way? I think so.

arosen
06-24-2006, 08:52 PM

Couldn't agree more with this. Noone is calling Agassi an Iranian player. Chang is American through and through.

superman1
06-24-2006, 11:20 PM
The thing about Agassi is that almost every single discussion on this board seems to mention Agassi at some point. Tennis wouldn't be what it is today if it weren't for him. He was there through it all. The only thing guys he really missed out on were Laver and Borg. Everyone else he played. Got beat up a few times by Lendl in the 80's, then delivered his own beatings on McEnroe, Lendl and Connors. Faced Wilander, Becker, Edberg. Then came the American tennis surge with Courier vaulting to the top and Sampras and Chang not too far behind. Then it switched and suddenly Sampras and Agassi were at the top. And on it went, the surge of tennis in the 90's and Sampras and Agassi were right there at the top. Then Sampras dwindled away and Agassi was left with Hewitt and Safin at the top. And then the Federer era happened and Agassi was there at 35 years old to give Federer a tennis lesson for 2 sets at the US Open final. It's really amazing to think of all he's been through, and yet he says Wimbledon 1992 against Ivanisevic seems as clear as yesterday.

GroundMaster
06-25-2006, 12:16 AM
30 years down the road, we will all be pooh-poohing the prevailing champions whilst sitting in our rocking chairs reminiscing about the "good old days" of Federer and Nadal.

They were all greats, but most importantly is how each one of them (Edberg, Borg, Becker, Lendl, Courier, Chang, Agassi, Sampras, Federer, Nadal et al) has influenced and fired your passion at each point in time to want to hit the courts to play your best game.

They were all greats, and to get into the pro circuit in itself was already an achievement.

sureshs
06-25-2006, 07:30 AM
why do they consider sharapova russian then? i know there's some controversy about that...but for the most part, sharapova is considered russian.

same question w/ marat safin. his tennis was taught in russia...but mainly developed in spain. shouldnt he be considered spanish instead of russian?

Maria is a Russian citizen and always claims to be Russian.

HyperHorse
06-25-2006, 07:59 AM
if u ask me the '95 US Open final was a much higher quality tennis match than the '02 Final...
the rallies were longer, and it overall was a pretty close match, well faught...
of what i remember of the '02 Final.. Pete basically served Andre off the court...

kv581
06-25-2006, 08:23 AM

Good point. I think the difference in perception comes from that Chang, Agassi, Sampras are all American-born, and are all American citizens. Also, much of this is also due to the media deciding however they want to market a player. Seriously, do you really refer to Sampras as a Greek player?

Sharapova should be considered American-trained. Is she an American-citizen though? From a media slant, she may be more marketable when known as a Russian tennis player.

Safin may have spent some time in Spain, but his game little resembles those of Spanish players. Also, as mentioned above, he never claims to be anything but Russian.

lacoster
06-25-2006, 08:58 AM
You guys are talking like Andre's already done....I'm betting on him making a run during the American hardcourt swing....
________
Honda Odyssey (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Odyssey)

laurie
06-25-2006, 09:20 AM

Plus, Agassi won an Olympic Gold medal. So yes, he's right up there with the all time greats. No question about that.

laurie
06-25-2006, 09:27 AM

Plus, Agassi won an Olympic Gold medal. So yes, he's right up there with the all time greats. No question about that.