PDA

View Full Version : Cahill to coach Federer . . .?

irishbanger
06-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Andre's retirement will free Darren Cahill to find another pupil. Everyone knows Federer's admiration for Aussie coaches---a perfect fit? Cahill is young and could relate better to the modern game and to Federer better than Roche--in my opinion. Could be interesting.

menelaos
06-25-2006, 10:47 AM
It's definitely possible...there were rumours in the past. I'd bet on it.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,19586382%255E3162,00.html

Matthew
06-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Wouldn't be shocked to see it happen.

I'm sure it would be a difficult transition for Cahill who has been with Agassi, a player towards the end of his career whose priorities are much different than Federer's.

Shabazza
06-25-2006, 11:53 AM
not gonna happen

nn
06-25-2006, 12:48 PM
not gonna happen
how come you are sure..

arosen
06-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Fed even mentioned Cahill at some point when he was playing on his own without a coach. It's a perfect fit, Cahill is a quiet unassuming type, just the kind of guy Fed can appreciate.

KBalla08
06-25-2006, 03:40 PM
roddick needs some1, conners wont work... roddick baselines, so does agassi... idk... but federer seems fine to me lol

KBalla08
06-25-2006, 03:41 PM
double post...

Bassus
06-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Unless Cahill can teach Federer how to better handle a high/heavy ball to his backhand, or make him mentally stronger versus Nadal, then it doesn't really matter.

bagung
06-25-2006, 07:43 PM
fed needs nadal as a coach........

Eviscerator
06-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Hmmm, Federer is #1 in the world, but he should switch coaches when he is going to defend his W title.:roll:

Exile
06-25-2006, 10:17 PM
fed needs nadal as a coach........

to teach him how to retrieve?

superman1
06-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Federer doesn't really need a coach to help him with anything technical, but he does need someone like Mickey from the Rocky movies to pump him up before his matches with Nadal. He'll never beat Nadal unless he takes it up a notch and goes out there with a little hop in his step. He needs Mick at his side screaming at him. "Stay down! Stay down!"

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
06-26-2006, 03:18 AM
Superman1 that's the best/funniest answer I've ever read on here! Was it ironic? But there is some truth to it very definitely, Federer needs someone not to boost his confidence per se, but to strengthen his resolve and backbone when having to play someone like Nadal for instance.

irishbanger
06-26-2006, 06:51 AM
I just found this cruising the internet from an article two years ago!

"Lynette Federer believes her son still needs a coach for when the times are not so good, and the speculation persists that his next mentor will be the Australian Darren Cahill, now overseeing Andre Agassi's last muted hurrah. Until then, the world No. 1 continues alone - a unique situation, but apparently not without its advantages."

127mph
06-26-2006, 11:00 AM
they already worked out a deal, hes gonna start at oz 07

KBalla08
06-26-2006, 11:03 AM
they already worked out a deal, hes gonna start at oz 07
got a source for that one?

jackson vile
06-26-2006, 11:10 AM
So let me get this straight, Roger needs a special coach just for one thing, to beat Nadal?

Damn that is serious right there, a coach (one of the best at that) just to beat one man:confused:

BaseLineBash
06-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Interesting read on Cahill.http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,19586382%255E3162,00.html

Eviscerator
06-26-2006, 01:43 PM
I don't want to set off another Federer vs. Nadal debate:rolleyes: but keep in mind that all but one of Federer's losses to Nadal have come on clay. I'm sure if Nadal was able to reach some of the grass or hard court finals, Federer would have beaten him, and the record would be in favor of Federer. Can he beat Nadal on clay? The answer is yes, but Nadal is clearly a better clay court player, and will win most of those encounters. Put them on any other surface other than a very slow hard court and Federer will win the majority of matches with their respective games today.

To think Federer needs to switch coaches at this point of his career is absurd. He is #1 by a wide margin and has won 3 out of the last 4 slams. Give some credit where it is due.

nn
06-26-2006, 01:49 PM
I don't want to set off another Federer vs. Nadal debate:rolleyes: but keep in mind that all but one of Federer's losses to Nadal have come on clay. I'm sure if Nadal was able to reach some of the grass or hard court finals, Federer would have beaten him, and the record would be in favor of Federer. Can he beat Nadal on clay? The answer is yes, but Nadal is clearly a better clay court player, and will win most of those encounters. Put them on any other surface other than a very slow hard court and Federer will win the majority of matches with their respective games today.

To think Federer needs to switch coaches at this point of his career is absurd. He is #1 by a wide margin and has won 3 out of the last 4 slams. Give some credit where it is due.

Nadal has beaten Roger on fast hard courts this year and last year

127mph
06-26-2006, 01:54 PM
not last year, the year before in 04 miami you trick

Eviscerator
06-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Nadal has beaten Roger on fast hard courts this year and last year

While Nadal split with Federer in Miami (Nasdaq), keep in mind that Miami's hard courts are very slow.

I do not know what the hard courts in Dubai are playing like.

Shaolin
06-26-2006, 02:42 PM
all but one of Federer's losses to Nadal have come on clay. I'm sure if Nadal was able to reach some of the grass or hard court finals, Federer would have beaten him, and the record would be in favor of Federer. Can he beat Nadal on clay? The answer is yes, but Nadal is clearly a better clay court player, and will win most of those encounters. Put them on any other surface other than a very slow hard court and Federer will win the majority of matches with their respective games today.

This is exactly right, although there were 2 losses on hardcourt.

slice bh compliment
06-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Andre's retirement will free Darren Cahill to find another pupil. Everyone knows Federer's admiration for Aussie coaches---a perfect fit? Cahill is young and could relate better to the modern game and to Federer better than Roche--in my opinion. Could be interesting.

Good call. Good recall.

Good fit, from what I've seen.
Now I really want another Federer/Agassi final!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabazza
not gonna happen

QUOTE:
Originally posted by nn, "how come you are sure.."
Yeah, Shabazza.... whatchyou got on the inside track there?

EDIT: BTW, I like the Mickey angle for the Nadal matches.:-]

Bassus
06-26-2006, 07:39 PM

Are you sure Federer can beat Nadal on clay? He's now 0-4, and only played up to Nadal's level in one of those matches. For a while, Federer's talk of 'getting closer' to figuring out Nadal seemed reasonable, but then he completely regressed at the French final with a performance so lame that I, as a Federer fan, couldn't quite believe it.

Eviscerator
06-27-2006, 07:48 AM
Are you sure Federer can beat Nadal on clay?

Yes I believe he is capable of winning against him on clay, but Nadal would clearly be the favorite. The fact that Federer held match points on him at Rome shows he is capable of winning on clay given the right circumstances and level of play.