PDA

View Full Version : Agassi vs Nadal-3rd round of Wimbledon?

federerhoogenbandfan
06-25-2006, 11:45 AM
If the 3rd round between Agassi and Nadal happens, who do you think will win?

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Andre in 4.

edberg505
06-25-2006, 07:57 PM
There are 2 things going against Andre, 1 age and 2. Match play. But even with those 2 factors I'd still give the edge to Andre because he is a former Wimby champ. Andre in 4.

arosen
06-25-2006, 09:36 PM
By talking about this matchup we assume Andre made it to the 3d round. This means he's got his game going. On grass, Andre's flat shots will skid making chasing them impossible even for the best retriever in the game today. Andre in 3, 4 tops.

superman1
06-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Yes, if he has made it to the 3rd round, that means he has found some of his game back and he will be on a bit of a rhythm. At the absolute least, he will make life extremely tough for Nadal and it will go 4 or 5 sets with Nadal constantly running like hell. In any other time in his career, I'd say Agassi would wipe the floor with Nadal in straight sets. Now I'll say Agassi wins in 4 tight sets. The crowd will be completely behind Agassi, and that should help his creaking bones through to the 4th round.

malakas
06-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Yes, if he has made it to the 3rd round, that means he has found some of his game back and he will be on a bit of a rhythm. At the absolute least, he will make life extremely tough for Nadal and it will go 4 or 5 sets with Nadal constantly running like hell. In any other time in his career, I'd say Agassi would wipe the floor with Nadal in straight sets. Now I'll say Agassi wins in 4 tight sets. The crowd will be completely behind Agassi, and that should help his creaking bones through to the 4th round.

Exactly.With the announcement of his retirement he will be more determined than ever..

HAHAHA..I am so used to reading Nadal vs Fed thread that in the start I misread the title..:mrgreen:

Moose Malloy
06-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Agassi lost 2 matches to Youzhny & Djokovic last week. He's gonna have a tough 1st round match at W.

jhhachamp
06-26-2006, 09:27 AM
I like Nadal in this match up if it happens.

edberg505
06-26-2006, 09:47 AM
Agassi lost 2 matches to Youzhny & Djokovic last week. He's gonna have a tough 1st round match at W.

When did this happen? Do you mean practice matches?

Moose Malloy
06-26-2006, 09:51 AM
It was an exhibition tournament.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/5107950.stm

illkhiboy
06-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Damn Andre losing to no-names on grass. Djokovic is gr8 on clay and arite for hard but Andre should beat him on grass. It doesnt look good for Andre at this point. Like Fed tookover Pete's place at Wimby, Nadal will takeover Andre's, and go on to lose a final or two, perhaps win one. But I hope Andre comes up with something magical!

BabolatFan
06-26-2006, 10:27 AM
If that happens, Andre will win in 4 sets. The only danger is Nadal's agility and his stalling of time. Other than that Andre got bigger power and depth.

diegaa
06-26-2006, 10:30 AM
agassi will kick right on the place where nadal likes to put his fingers....

bluescreen
06-26-2006, 10:32 AM
agassi will kick right on the place where nadal likes to put his fingers....

LOL.

andre in 4. his looming retirement will push him to the win.

palikero
06-26-2006, 10:32 AM
i also think Andre will win in 4 sets... if it does get to 5 sets, I'm not sure Agassi could withstand Nadal endurance-wise.

diegaa
06-26-2006, 10:34 AM
i also think Andre will win in 4 sets... if it does get to 5 sets, I'm not sure Agassi could withstand Nadal endurance-wise.

this isnt clay, points should be decided way faster.

bluescreen
06-26-2006, 10:36 AM
true. and w/ agassi's offensive style points will be decided fairly quickly.

Kabob190
06-26-2006, 10:38 AM
i think andre will win, maybe nadal will choke on a banana again and he wont be able to continue this time jk when i watch andre i still think hes got it, aside from his back injury. his last wimbledon, whatever happens i think its going to be great to watch

fastdunn
06-26-2006, 10:41 AM
This would be a close call. Agassi in prime would beat young Nadal
on grass easily. I don't think I ever saw Agassi struggling with
a lefty. In that sense, Agassi has a baseline/return game matches up
against Nadal better than Federer. But the reality is that there is
16 year difference in age. Agaasi needs to bring up his zen master
stuff. Their only meeting seems to have won by Nadal on hard
court.

Amone
06-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Well, considering, I think that Nadal could win it. Now, if more than 1 set went to a tie-break, I think Agassi'd be dead in the water. I mean, at that point, anyone would be tired... unless they're a spanish youth named Rafael Nadal. And Andre, he is getting old. I'm gonna say, Nadal in 4 or 5, but if anyone were to get a straight-sets win, it'd be Agassi.

tennisboy87
06-26-2006, 11:42 AM
My heart says Agassi, but my head says Nadal.

lacoster
06-26-2006, 11:55 AM
My heart says Agassi, but my head says Nadal.

Good call. Nadal has had pretty good grass wins over Mardy Fish and Fernando Verdasco; he also took the first set off an in-form Hewitt on grass before he retired. Fed's last loss at Wimbledon was to Ancic in '01. Nadal beat Ancic the year after....Remember when Agassi won in 1992 no one thought a counterpunching baseliner (what Nadal is now) would win it all....
________
Lexus Cup History (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Lexus_Cup)

baseliner
06-26-2006, 12:02 PM
IF Andre gets to the 3rd round, and IF the rain has not backed up the tourney to the point where Andre has to play 2-3 days in a row, then Andre in 4. Andre can dictate the points on grass, and if his body holds up, win.

Moose Malloy
06-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Remember when Agassi won in 1992 no one thought a counterpunching baseliner (what Nadal is now) would win it all....

Andre was not a counterpuncher, he was an offensive baseliner. He could rip clean winners off Ivanisevic's 1st serve. I doubt Nadal could do that to, say, Roddick.

And the grass was faster in '92.

BaseLineBash
06-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Andre was not a counterpuncher, he was an offensive baseliner. He could rip clean winners off Ivanisevic's 1st serve. I doubt Nadal could do that to, say, Roddick.

And the grass was faster in '92.
Exactly right, Andre is an Aggressive/offensive baseliner and always has been.

lacoster
06-26-2006, 12:23 PM

I've seen Nadal rip some clean winners off huge servers; he's beaten Karlovic, Ljubicic, and Mirnyi on fast indoors in the past year. Hewitt's a counterpuncher. Makes you wonder why Hewitt is so good on grass. The grass courts now have become slower (than '92), which gives all these baseliners a fighting chance.
________
Girlfriends Pics (http://girlfriendpics.org)

doriancito
06-26-2006, 06:21 PM
wow, andre's dream, to beat the Third generation of tennis.
Third isnt it ....?

superman1
06-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Agassi's game should match up well against Nadal's. He has zero problems with spin and lefties. He can hit any type of ball you throw at him, he was a pro with a killer game when Nadal was still an infant. The only two things that bothered him in Montreal were Nadal's speed and the amount of time Nadal took on Agassi's service. Agassi would be standing at the baseline ready to serve and Nadal would be towelling off for 20 seconds.

But Agassi has been known to lose his first match against someone he's never played before and then never have problems with them again. He knows what to expect from Nadal now, so he should be able to pull it off. The real problem is getting through his first 2 rounds. If he can do that, he'll have the rhythm.

tommytom11
06-26-2006, 07:57 PM
ditto. perfectly put.

mowcopian
06-27-2006, 01:47 AM
this will be agassi's lastw imbeldon and i thik tht this will be an epic match aginst nadal. i think agassi will win in 4 sets though.