PDA

View Full Version : how do you know when you need new shoes?

andyroddick's mojo
06-26-2006, 09:59 AM
are there any signs?

my air max breathe II's soles have smeared mostly on the forefoot, and a little on the heel. I have a pair of air zoom vapor III's, but don't know when I should switch.

BiGGieStuFF
06-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Blood on the court!

thetenniskid07
06-26-2006, 11:52 AM
No more traction is a good sign.

rrhstennis
06-26-2006, 01:19 PM
My outsole is almost completely gone and there's a whole beside the big toe. It holds my foot in and grips the concrete alright, so I guess there's some life left in 'er yet! :D

snoflewis
06-26-2006, 02:26 PM
do you have the warranty for the BFIIs? my shoes are dead when i can see the upper or my toe

andyroddick's mojo
06-26-2006, 04:00 PM
nope, the warranty has expired already. I don't have any holes in my shoe, but the sole on the bottom is getting smeared and some small parts have already gone past the sole.

mowcopian
06-26-2006, 04:01 PM
when u play in the rain and you fall ova

mowcopian
06-26-2006, 04:02 PM
or when you have worn of all of the grip and ur shoes tread is nomore and ur shoes r like skies

marcus_alsager
06-27-2006, 07:45 AM
when the shoes grip is totally gone

hagais
06-27-2006, 07:54 AM
When the soles look like curling shoes soles.

mctennis
07-11-2006, 03:56 PM
I buy new ones about every three or four months. I play 8-10 hours a week. I can tell because my feet ache when I play if they are broken down.

tarheels2323
07-11-2006, 04:22 PM
I think it's probably a good idea to invest in a new pair when the sole is seperate from the upper part of the shoe and your toes are sticking out (happened to one of my playing partners recently - he used duct tape until his new pair came it).

hgb765
07-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Blood on the court!

haha
cute avatar btw :)

MariaS
07-14-2006, 03:37 PM
how do you know when you need new shoes?

sliding under the net....:p

Dopke
07-14-2006, 03:43 PM
I play my shoes until they get holes.

Marat Safinator
07-14-2006, 04:21 PM
When they begin to look old.

SydneyJim
07-14-2006, 04:26 PM
really, you can definitely tell when your shoes start to NOT support your foot. your foot will slide around a little more, the shoe will be way too easy to slip in and out of when you haven't un-tied the laces. If you're a competitive player, you'll probably go through shoes every month or if you're advanced, maybe every 2-3 weeks. I go through shoes every 2.5 weeks on avg when the hardcourt season comes, but the clay court season is great when i'm running low on shoes

psamp14
07-14-2006, 10:22 PM
when the grip of the bottom of the shoe appears gone and you start slipping a lot

nViATi
07-14-2006, 10:26 PM
If you're a competitive player, you'll probably go through shoes every month or if you're advanced, maybe every 2-3 weeks. I go through shoes every 2.5 weeks on avg when the hardcourt season comes, but the clay court season is great when i'm running low on shoes
You must be using Nikes. Try some Barricades :)

zAllianceBmx
07-16-2006, 03:06 PM
really, you can definitely tell when your shoes start to NOT support your foot. your foot will slide around a little more, the shoe will be way too easy to slip in and out of when you haven't un-tied the laces. If you're a competitive player, you'll probably go through shoes every month or if you're advanced, maybe every 2-3 weeks. I go through shoes every 2.5 weeks on avg when the hardcourt season comes, but the clay court season is great when i'm running low on shoes

haha funny.

the more advanced you are, the better your footwork should be so the dragging of the foot should be minimal. therefore your shoes last a bit longer.

dont know what kind of shoes you go through...

Max G.
07-16-2006, 04:31 PM
the more advanced you are, the better your footwork should be so the dragging of the foot should be minimal. therefore your shoes last a bit longer.

But on the other hand, doesn't "better footwork" often mean "take lots of small steps to get into good position", making there be more wear on the shoes than just one big stride?

I don't really know, just throwing that alternative out there.

Tennis_Nickmo
07-18-2006, 07:22 AM
When the sole of the shoe is smooth or near smooth- I have a tendency to slip and fall quite often, or roll my ankles, so always ensure my shoes have decent grip.

SydneyJim
07-18-2006, 08:42 AM
You must be using Nikes. Try some Barricades :D

hehe never wore nikes, was with team 3 stripes since 99'

haha funny.

dont know what kind of shoes you go through...

is that so? actually i slide on hardcourts because i'm faster than probably most ppl are on the tour, and really that's the only way for me to stop on extreme running shots. on top of that, dragging your feet is wasting shoes, i wear out my shoes by using small adjusting steps to stop, slow down, before i hit the ball.

JRstriker12
07-18-2006, 09:36 AM
I know it's time for new shoes when I start wearing a hole in the sole and the tread on the bottom is gone.

I also know it's time for new shoes when I can tell the padding and cushioning is gone.

chiru
07-18-2006, 09:47 AM
when i feel noticeably slower on court.

andyroddick's mojo
07-18-2006, 10:31 AM
i think people who play more tennis, or have better footwork, can easily go through more shoes then others.

baseliner
07-20-2006, 05:26 AM
I play on clay. When coming off the court and I whack my shoe with the racket to sidlodge the clay particles and nothing falls out--tread gone need new shoes.

Marat Safinator
07-20-2006, 05:28 AM

haha im not buying shoes every 2-3 weeks or every month.

Caswell
07-26-2006, 09:41 AM
haha im not buying shoes every 2-3 weeks or every month.

Be happy you don't live in a warm climate.

When I was playing B16's and B18's (early 90's), just about every junior competitor in Florida blew through shoes in a month or less. We replaced them when the midsole started showing through the outsole.

As an adult I play 99% of the time on clay, and my six month old shoes don't look very worn. Probably time to replace them anyway - I've had running specialty stores recommend replacing running shoes at least every six months, I can't imagine tennis shoes are much different.

retroceso
07-26-2006, 06:10 PM
when you can see you sock

Tennis_Nickmo
07-28-2006, 01:19 PM
When the grip on the shoes is smooth- no grip :)

TLM_01
07-28-2006, 04:17 PM
When your shoe starts smiling at you.....

DragonNeedSpank
07-28-2006, 04:22 PM
When your shoe starts smiling at you.....

LOL funny!!!

well to know i need new shoes is that MY FEET R ACTUALLY GROWING!! ^_^!!! im asian and have small feet i wear a 7 1/2 shoes lol!!! small feet i have indeed. any1ways..... one way could be that ur shoes starts to rip tear and etc... and wen u walk it might make some squeaking noise.... those squeaking noise result in doing lot of foot work i believe...

TREX
07-29-2006, 09:09 AM
back when I played a lot. Todays shoes are so much more durable you wont believe it. Some of the styles in the early 80's I could go through in a week.