PDA

View Full Version : ESPY award... anyone else think it's stupid?

Say Chi Sin Lo
06-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Some of the categories (if not all) in which the winners is pretty much pre-determined. For example, best tennis player... we already have the rankings for that.

Best NBA player... we all know Wade is going to get it because of his playoff performance namely in game 3 of the finals. The guy scored 15points in the 4th quarter with 5fouls, a banged knee, and a viral infection. Most importantly, his team needed those 15points.

While some of the categories do deserve a mention like Best moment and Best game... but Best <blank> player is really milking it...

KBalla08
06-26-2006, 11:54 AM
well i hope Blake wins best comeback award, i voted for him for that

Jess
06-26-2006, 09:13 PM
I don't think the ESPYs are stupid, I like it for what it is --an extension of the year's most entertaining moments in sports. I don't follow all of the sports I like the entire year round and I think it's great how ESPN has been able to organize a huge event like this to commemorate the year's "Best of" moments. I'd be disappointed if one year, it wasn't there anymore. It's an important night on the calender in my book because it's pretty much the only mainstream Awards show of its kind.

Anyways, being American, it's also refreshing to see tennis right along up there being celebrated as much as The Big American-Three (baseball, basketball and football).

And besides, we all need more opportunities to see Blake and Sharapova in tuxedos and evening gowns. :p

Matthew
06-26-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm not sure how prestigious the award is to the players, as they have probably already been awarded for their achievments they are being acknowledged for at the ESPYs anyway, but it is nice for the fans to relive the year in sports, and maybe learn about some new sports.

jukka1970
06-27-2006, 12:27 AM
I think the espy awards are important for athletes because it's the public that votes on them. So it's a way for the public to give an award to their favorite or deserving, etc athlete. However, I think they may be creating a few too many categories. I think they should just stick to things like best comeback, and not best in each sport.

Jukka

mowcopian
06-27-2006, 12:36 AM
i think the awards are good. they praise the up and coming tennis stars and give them there moment of fame. awards can never be bad. I think blake shouldget the comeback award because he is awesome.

matty p
06-27-2006, 07:36 AM
i think the awards are good and not many of them are that clear cut. its a bit too americanised though. how is blake nominated for best tennis player ahead of ljubicic whos ranked about 4 places higher than him?

armand
06-27-2006, 08:00 AM
Bahahahah! 'Best Driver' category doesn't have anyone from any international events/championships. They're all from 2nd rate American events!

Ronaldo
06-27-2006, 08:09 AM
Seems to be an All-American Award show............best American male tennis player's performance at a slam. Need an award for the sickest shot in tennis, worst chokejob, best meltdown, shortest, tightest skirt or shorts, best mullet in sports today.........................that's entertainment

dmastous
06-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Useless marketing crap.
I've never watched them, and never will.
ESPN patting itself on the back and selling comercials to do so.

tangerine
06-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Yes, it is very much a stupid award.

However, that didn't stop the insecure *******s screaming bloody murder when Roddick beat out Federer for one. LOL.