PDA

View Full Version : will anything change upon PimPim's return?

Bogie
06-26-2006, 04:17 PM
according to his site, www.joachimjohansson.org, PimPim is due back in August for the start of the u.s. hardcourt season. he has be out with shoulder surgery for a year and hes only played one tournament since in san jose in which we all saw that he completely wasnt ready to come back. looking at the videos of him playing on the site, it seems that he is playing pretty well again. now that he is rested and says that he is feeling good to come back, what do you guys think is going to happen?

this is the guy that has been to the semi's on the u.s. open and has beated roddick on hard in his prime. he also had that memorable match vs. agassi at the australian open last year i think. hes got probably the biggest serve in tennis and likely one of the biggest forehands to match. if he's healthy and can regain the form that we saw up until march before he was injured several months later (he reached a career high of 9 at the time), do you guys think that he can be a force to recon with and cause some damage on the tour? with his huge game, i can seriously see him doing very well on hard and grass. any thoughts on this?

HyperHorse
06-26-2006, 04:31 PM
this guy is an AWESOME player....
cant wait to see him in action...
and i hope that shoulder holds up...
big serve & groundies... 1 hand backhand :D
dont remember this guy volleying though...
but he is Swedish, so i would say his volleys are good...
can anyone confirm this?

Bogie
06-26-2006, 04:35 PM
check out the latest video of him playing on his site. it seems as if hes playing really well and is back to the top of his game. i would do anything to see him go up against nadal this hardcourt season. with his game and being 6'6 nadal's spinny shots should play right into PimPim's game and the spin would sit up for someone of pimpim's size, so that would be the most interesting matchup of the summer, for me at least

Bogie
06-26-2006, 04:54 PM
this guy is an AWESOME player....
cant wait to see him in action...
and i hope that shoulder holds up...
big serve & groundies... 1 hand backhand :D
dont remember this guy volleying though...
but he is Swedish, so i would say his volleys are good...
can anyone confirm this?

his volleys are actually pretty good and he has good feel and hands at net. especially with a serve like that, he can get more than a few free points with serving and volleying, but he prefers to attack from the baseline. i guess we'll see how everything is in august.

Alexandros
06-26-2006, 05:33 PM
I was courtside in his marathon match against Feliciano Lopez at the Aussie Open last year. Assuming the shoulder injury doesn't affect that monster serve of his, this guy can do damage and beat anyone on a good day and I daresay is destined for at least the top twenty, possibly top ten. "Euro-Roddick", to borrow someone else's term - he plays like a better Roddick - not as fast a serve but arguably better placement and/or disguise (he racked up 51 aces against Agassi in their AO '05 encounter), a flatter and harder forehand, more stable backhand with greater variety, slightly better movement and significantly superior volleys.

LowProfile
06-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Absolutely massive serve and an equally blistering forehand. One-handed backhand, but not a particularly great one. But this guy can blast anyone off the court with his serve-forehand combination.

I hope he gets back into form soon. Great to watch. Kind of like Gonzo.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-26-2006, 05:49 PM
JJ has been, is, and will always be a force to be reckoned with in mens tennis. ( except to Federer that is;) ). He has a bomb serve, has served more than 50 aces in a match, and has reached the semis of Wimbledon last year. I think he can make a nice comeback, and maybe crack the top 5 by the end of the year if he plays well. Too bad he missed the grasscourt season, grass is the surface that best suits his game.

Bogie
06-26-2006, 06:04 PM
JJ has been, is, and will always be a force to be reckoned with in mens tennis. ( except to Federer that is;) ). He has a bomb serve, has served more than 50 aces in a match, and has reached the semis of Wimbledon last year. I think he can make a nice comeback, and maybe crack the top 5 by the end of the year if he plays well. Too bad he missed the grasscourt season, grass is the surface that best suits his game.

to correct one thing there, last year at wimby he only got to r3. he was having shoulder problems already at that time so there wasn't really much more he could do then. he reached the semi's at the u.s. open in 04 after that amazing match vs. the old, solid playing roddick. last aussie open was when he served 51 aces vs. agassi in four sets in what was one of the greatest matches ive seen to date.

Alexandros
06-26-2006, 06:12 PM
I recall Agassi said in his interview that he felt kind of embarassed just walking back and forth as Joachim blasted aces all over the place.

Bogie
06-26-2006, 06:19 PM
well basically in that match, pimpim's said that his strategy was to not rally a single ball with agassi. he said that he was just going to go for every single shot he had, whether he would make it or miss it because once you get into a rally with agassi, your more than likely to lose just about every single one, and that's exactly what he did. after the match, even andre stated in the press conference that he felt very out of place because pimpim wouldn't let him get into any sort of rhythm out there and that he felt very uncomfortable playing against him throughout the whole match because he couldn't dictate a single point.

LowProfile
06-26-2006, 07:03 PM
The funniest part about that was that in the postmatch interview, when someone asked JJ what he thought he could have done better in the match and he said that he "could have served better."

guernica1
06-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Double J (was that a character from Saturday Night Fever?) reminds me of Goran or Krajicek in both their bad ways unfortunately.. when the serve isn't going they seem to lose hope in the rest of their game. I hope this time off he's been able to work on other parts of his game. The game is better off when there are some good Swedes playing.

Bogie
06-26-2006, 07:33 PM
The funniest part about that was that in the postmatch interview, when someone asked JJ what he thought he could have done better in the match and he said that he "could have served better."

i actually found the link to the match stats of the jj vs. agassi match. the funny thing is that he actually could have served a little bit better percentage wise, but when he got his first serve in, it was rare that it came back.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity/popMatchStats.asp?sd=singles&trnnum=580&trnyear=2005&rnd=4&plyr=J194

Phil
06-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Double J (was that a character from Saturday Night Fever?) reminds me of Goran or Krajicek in both their bad ways unfortunately.. when the serve isn't going they seem to lose hope in the rest of their game. I hope this time off he's been able to work on other parts of his game. The game is better off when there are some good Swedes playing.

Krajicek was a much better, more well-rounded player than JJ. He had a sweet net game, great approach shots and could hit from the baseline from either wing quite well. JJ is a one-dimensional, or 2-D player-a forehand and a big serve-a baseline basher with a crappy backhand...a Roddick clone, only without the titles. Nothing will change with him back.

Bogie
06-26-2006, 10:10 PM
not quite. kraijcek did have a big serve and a very solid net game but his ground game was nowhere near JJ's. pimpim's groundies are 10x more explosive than kraijcek could have ever wished his to be, and where kraijcek could hang with the big boys of his time from the back, he could not produce the kind of power and aggressive ground game the JJ can. I'd also give the upper hand to JJ in the serve category. JJ has beaten roddick, and even if he does have a similar game as roddick as you say (even though JJ is much more aggressive and explosive from all wings + better at net), Roddick is still top 5 in the world, no? as of now 3/5 people think he will cause a stir when he returns so obviously i'm not the only one who thinks such.

Phil
06-26-2006, 10:19 PM
not quite. kraijcek did have a big serve and a very solid net game but his ground game was nowhere near JJ's. pimpim's groundies are 10x more explosive than kraijcek could have ever wished his to be, and where kraijcek could hang with the big boys of his time from the back, he could not produce the kind of power and aggressive ground game the JJ can. I'd also give the upper hand to JJ in the serve category. JJ has beaten roddick, and even if he does have a similar game as roddick as you say (even though JJ is much more aggressive and explosive from all wings + better at net), Roddick is still top 5 in the world, no? as of now 3/5 people think he will cause a stir when he returns so obviously i'm not the only one who thinks such.

Not really concerned what others think. Kraijcek had a better all around game, period. Not as big of a forehand, but I didn't say that he did. Significantly better backhand. Beating Roddick, then and now is not really all that big a deal. JJ is/was WAY overrated on these boards, due mainly to that one win. When he actually WINS something, maybe I'll wake up, otherwise, don't bother.

lacoster
06-26-2006, 10:22 PM
It really is unfortunate to reach your career high ranking and then suddenly get injured. He was 15-2 (that loss to Agassi, retired vs. Mirnyi) at the beginning of last year (second best start after Federer), winning two titles before hitting the wall. He reached the top ten at around this time last year and then suddenly had shoulder surgery. He withdrew from Roland Garros, but decided to play Wimbledon on a whim. He won't even have a ranking after Wimbledon....
________
Dodge charger (b-body) history (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Dodge_Charger_(B-body))

Bogie
06-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Not really concerned what others think. Kraijcek had a better all around game, period. Not as big of a forehand, but I didn't say that he did. Significantly better backhand. Beating Roddick, then and now is not really all that big a deal. JJ is/was WAY overrated on these boards, due mainly to that one win. When he actually WINS something, maybe I'll wake up, otherwise, don't bother.

It really is unfortunate to reach your career high ranking and then suddenly get injured. He was 15-2 at the beginning of last year (second best start after Federer), winning two titles before hitting the wall. He reached the top ten at around this time last year and then suddenly had shoulder surgery.

Then were just gonna have to disagree on that one. JJ has a stronger all -round game than kraijcek who is pretty overrated as well for his one-slam wonder wimbledon victory. as for JJ doing making a big impact on tour, go no further than lacoster's post. shame he had that shoulder problem though, else he'd be well inside the top 10 by now. don't worry, he'll be back there soon enough thoug.

Phil
06-26-2006, 10:35 PM
Then were just gonna have to disagree on that one. JJ has a stronger all -round game than kraijcek who is pretty overrated as well for his one-slam wonder wimbledon victory. as for JJ doing making a big impact on tour, go no further than lacoster's post. shame he had that shoulder problem though, else he'd be well inside the top 10 by now. don't worry, he'll be back there soon enough thoug.

Not sure how you equate a big forehand and serve to being a stronger all-around game than RK's-and RK's serve was EVERY BIT AS GOOD as JJ's and he could back it up with one of the best s&v games on the tour. You can call him a "one-slam wonder" if you want, but that's one slam more than JJ's ever going to have.

RK was also knocked out by injuries, and would have had better career results, so injuries are not an excuse. But it's your thread/your love fest. Knock yourself out.

superman1
06-26-2006, 11:03 PM
I've never watched a Kraijeck match, but he's a very famous tennis name and that's more than you can say for Joachim Johansson. If he doesn't come back, he will be forever known as the guy that beat Roddick at the US Open and then got beat down by Hewitt. But at least he went further than Gilles Muller.

hoosierbr
06-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Richard Krajicek was undone by injuries much like Todd Martin but he did reach the SF at the Aussie Open and Roland Garros, won Wimbledon and reached two QF's at the US Open. He was certainly consistent everywhere and one of the few guys that had a winning record against Sampras, 6-4 or something like that. Joachim Johansson is still young and has a long way to go to equal that record.

Bogie
06-26-2006, 11:23 PM
Not sure how you equate a big forehand and serve to being a stronger all-around game than RK's-and RK's serve was EVERY BIT AS GOOD as JJ's and he could back it up with one of the best s&v games on the tour. You can call him a "one-slam wonder" if you want, but that's one slam more than JJ's ever going to have.

RK was also knocked out by injuries, and would have had better career results, so injuries are not an excuse. But it's your thread/your love fest. Knock yourself out.

JJ serve is much bigger(heavier, faster, harder to break, etc.) in every way than kraijcek. his groundies are much more solid than kraijcek's and he can play very well at net as well. kraijcek had a strong s&v game but no back. JJ can have much better career results as well, so RK's injuries aren't an excuse as well. RK did win wimbledon, his lone slam, just like goran did. JJ is only 24 and his career took off quite a while ago, getting to u.s. open semi's almost immediately after getting on the tour. bottom line, when it comes down to it, JJ is a more complete player than RK and you can be sure that he will be a very accomplished player by the time his career ends.

Bogie
06-26-2006, 11:28 PM
Richard Krajicek was undone by injuries much like Todd Martin but he did reach the SF at the Aussie Open and Roland Garros, won Wimbledon and reached two QF's at the US Open. He was certainly consistent everywhere and one of the few guys that had a winning record against Sampras, 6-4 or something like that. Joachim Johansson is still young and has a long way to go to equal that record.

while i cannot see him reaching sf of RG, hes already seen the semi's on a slam and a semi at the aussie, same or better at wimby, and at least a single slam are definitely goals that he can reach. if we see the JJ that we did early last year, he definitely had the game and the talent to do all of the above, in my opinion. time will show, still need to see how his shoulder is holding up.

!Tym
06-27-2006, 01:40 AM
JJ serve is much bigger(heavier, faster, harder to break, etc.) in every way than kraijcek. his groundies are much more solid than kraijcek's and he can play very well at net as well. kraijcek had a strong s&v game but no back. JJ can have much better career results as well, so RK's injuries aren't an excuse as well. RK did win wimbledon, his lone slam, just like goran did. JJ is only 24 and his career took off quite a while ago, getting to u.s. open semi's almost immediately after getting on the tour. bottom line, when it comes down to it, JJ is a more complete player than RK and you can be sure that he will be a very accomplished player by the time his career ends.

Sorry, I have to agree with Phil here. Krajicek was an extremely fluid player from all parts of the court.

JJ is a fun player to watch for sure, likable guy, and while I agree with your assessment of his game, that he's not just a big serve and forehand; I can't say that he's a more well-rounded player than Krajicek.

Krajicek's backhand had more variety, was one of the best feels for the chip and charge return in the game, great slice, could smack it too, just was very solid off this side. His forehand also was not as weak as it's made out to be, in fact, it wasn't weak at all. It just wasn't a strength, but while not JJ power point in, point out, he could definitely smack it too. When you're as tall as him, have that kind of leverage and timing, and hit flat with a classic grip, you can definitely hit skidding, hard forehands. He was for sure no push over off this side, he just didn't go for it as much as JJ does because his forehand strategy was more to set-up approach shots to the net rather than just try and smack a winner after a few shots. It's a different mentality. At the 93 French quarters against Courier, he hit what McEnroe called "that maybe the hardest hit forehand of all time" against Courier on a return of serve. Like I said, you take a tall guy, great timing, flatter strokes, if they connect right they're going to smack it. I played a guy very similar build and stroking technique, and he could take the slightest swing sometimes but when he connected, the ball would just shoot through the court; it's not that hard to figure out, it's a product of the great leverage on the ball.

Also, where Krajicek is severely estimated is his TRANSITION game. This is an area not often discussed, but JJ definitely does not "approach" Krajicek in this category. Krajicek had one of the most seamless, compact and efficient yet fluid transition games to the net of anyone. Think how good Henman is at this, when I think back to his masterful display against Roddick at Indian Wells a few years back, I remember most of all his sublime transition game from baseline exchanges to the net firing on all cylinders this day, several times, he just caught Roddick off guard because his transitions were so skillfully reproduced. Krajicek was Henman's equal in this category in my opinion.

In fact, everything Henman does, Krajicek at his best, was simply like giving Henman illegal growth hormones, a genetically enhanced, taller, cyborg version of him. And we can already see how good Henman still is, even at this advanced age, he's still a top caliber player on his day, just as Joachim Johansson is. Yet, Henman's not flashy about it, but results wise; people seem to forget the fact that Johansson...LOST...the match against Agassi. Everyone remembers the aces, that he went for broke, and yet he still lost...didn't even make it to the fifth and deciding round.

Thing is, I'm not denying that JJ won't be great upon his return, the potential is certainly there; but I'm not about to discount Krajicek either.

Krajicek at his best was an excellent returner, he returned Sampras' serve beautifully that Wimbledon run, for example. He wasn't the biggest hitter point in, point out, from the baseline; but that is NOT because he couldn't hit it hard from there. It was simply a choice to plot net charges instead.

At his best, other players said he closed on top of the net faster than anyone in the game, he made full use of his condor reach, and got down very well for low volleys. He hit sharp, biting, penetrating volleys with sniper like accuracy, and yet he also had one of the best touches as well at net.

His serve also is being underrated here too in my opinion. The radar guns for one thing didn't read as "hot" back then as they do now, and two, his accuracy on the down the T serve was as good as it got. What's forgotten also is not just speed, but how little wind-up the guy needed to serve it so huge. One of the things that made it so crippling for other players was that like Berasategui's forehand, which was basically just a wrist snap, the ball would just almost seem to come at you from nowhere, it was just like bang and a gun shot went off. Very little excess to his motion, and when this happens on a stroke, other players find it harder to pick up on the direction of the ball, it's also why Rios' shots were so hard to read, and also why Goran said Stich's serve was the hardest for him to return, because every serve looked the same to him, he couldn't read his direction at all.

Again, not saying, JJ doesn't have an awesome serve, but to deny that one of the great servers of our time pales by comparison is hardly fair in my opinion. Remember, Krajicek to had his "good" serving days, aka against Kafelnikov at the US Open. Krajicek also in old age, didn't play tennis for a year and a half due to an elbow injury, and came back to go deep at Wimbledon the year they first started to slow down the courts. Had he not ran out of gas, he very well could have won the tournament...which tells you one of two things...refer to the Stich article about Federer yesterday, and two, that Krajicek was a superb serve and volleyer...who could ALSO hit from the baseline as well.

Watch how he dismantled Srichiphan the round after Srichiphan blasted Agassi off the court from the ground that Wimbledon. He bullied Srichiphan this match, and though Sriciphan is considered one of the most explosive groundstrokers on tour, Krajicek more than held his own, and more importantly also was able to mix-in strong approaches to the net which didn't allow Sriciphan to get into the kind of blasting rhythm he got into Agassi the round before. That was classic Krajicek right there.

unjugon
06-27-2006, 05:47 AM
JJ serve is much bigger(heavier, faster, harder to break, etc.)
This is incorrect. Krajicek was famous for saving like 88% of the break points on his serve. To put it in perpective, his % of service games won was 3-4% higher than Samprasī.

vive le beau jeu !
06-27-2006, 07:29 AM
yes you said that before... stop waffing crap just to increase your post count..
i wish i could drive an axe thru ur computer....
can you believe it ?
(s)he wrote... 75 posts in 1 hour !!! :shock:
that's frightening......

matty p
06-27-2006, 07:33 AM
wow more than a post per minute. is that possible?

matty p
06-27-2006, 07:34 AM
oh and yeah i think joachim will make a big impact on the tour when he comes back. it might take a while though. look forward to seeing how he does at the us open.

vive le beau jeu !
06-27-2006, 07:37 AM
wow more than a post per minute. is that possible?
from a serial poster, maybe...
do you think he is paying other ppl for posting several posts at the same time from different computers ? ;)

Moose Malloy
06-27-2006, 09:48 AM
I've never watched a Kraijeck match

Really? You seem to be such a big Agassi & Sampras fan, surprised that you managed to miss him.

JJ serve is much bigger(heavier, faster, harder to break, etc.)

You should find out some serve stats on him, he led the tour in aces a few years(both in total aces/aces per match)
He also served 49 aces vs Kafelnikov at the '99 US Open.

baseliner
06-27-2006, 10:30 AM
51 aces against arguably the greatest returner of all time! Unfortunately in a losing match.

Bogie
06-27-2006, 11:07 AM
51 aces vs greatest returner of all time in a four set match!!! + mowcopian, imma have to agree with everyone else. i mean you had about 300 posted yesterday. damn.

LowProfile
06-27-2006, 01:31 PM
definately he is awesome!!!!!

You don't know a damn thing about Krajicek.

Unless you were talking about Joachim Johansson.

In that case you don't know a damn thing about Joachim Johansson.

Andy Hewitt
06-27-2006, 02:00 PM
I was just wondering what the hell happened to him...

Bogie
06-27-2006, 02:23 PM
he began having shoulder problems at the beginning of next year which cause him to miss most of the clay season. he then had shoulder surgery in july of last year and he has been in rehab from it even since

BabolatFan
06-27-2006, 03:26 PM
I doubt he can make a spectacular comeback. He should play the challenger tour instead and see if he can really improve.