PDA

View Full Version : Richard Gasquet

madhatter911
06-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Most of you guys have probibly not heard of this man but for anybody who has seen him play you know he is for real. federer even said that he reminds him of himself at that age. he is only nineteen and is only one of four other players to have beaten federer since 2005. How good can this guy get?

LowProfile
06-26-2006, 06:10 PM
Most of you guys have probibly not heard of this man...and is only one of four other players to have beaten federer since 2005.

These two statements are mutually exclusive. Everyone knows about Gasquet, mainly because he handed Federer one of his four defeats in 2005.

Gasquet was close to breaking the top 10 at one point last year. He's not some fresh face shooting out of obscurity. The tennis world has known about him (and his beautiful backhand) for quite a while. Personally, I think Gasquet has the most talent of all the young guns (i.e. Monfils, Murray, Berdych, Nadal, ect.) right now, but he suffers huge mental lapses very often. Which explains his patchy results.

Tennis_Monk
06-26-2006, 06:23 PM
i watched his match against fderer (stil incomplete) at wimbledon. Boy ...what ppl say abt him is real. He has a monster game. Only if he was mentally solid like Hewitt....

His game is very entertaining.

guernica1
06-26-2006, 06:25 PM
I kind of predicted to myself that Gasquet would have this type of season in '06 back when his elbow injury first came up last fall.

Having kind of followed his career since he was ending his junior days he tends to have one very very good year followed by a disappointing year. Whether its from exhaustion or from pressure to defend points is unclear, probably a combination of both plus other factors too.

He played so well in so many tournaments last year.. remember the guy was off tour until March '05 and pretty much gained all his points from then to September or so.. that's a lot of weeks played.

In short yeah he's a great talent fun to watch but results are maddeningly inconsistent. If the pressure to win at all costs doesn't get to him then he could be a special player in two years or so but he has to stay injury free and get mentally stronger.

rod99
06-26-2006, 07:08 PM
loads of talent+poor conditioning+poor work ethic=inconsistent results

hoosierbr
06-26-2006, 07:36 PM
I saw him at the US Open last year, first round against Alberto Martin, where he almost blew a two sets to love lead. Won 6-4 in the fifth. He signed my program afterwards. Nice kid. Big game. Should do some major damage in the years to come.

oscar_2424
06-26-2006, 07:45 PM
He needs to get fit

lucky leprechaun
06-26-2006, 07:56 PM
Bad luck for him drawing federer after having won a tune-up. I agree his fitness is probably the biggest thing. Everytime I watch him, I'm waiting for that huge one-hander down the line. It's a thing of beauty.

RiosTheGenius
06-26-2006, 08:02 PM
Most of you guys have probibly not heard of this man but for anybody who has seen him play you know he is for real. federer even said that he reminds him of himself at that age. he is only nineteen and is only one of four other players to have beaten federer since 2005. How good can this guy get?
perhaps the only person we have never heard of is you........ welcome to the boards... here everone knows Richard Gasquet.
check out the thousands of threads about his backhand. :lol: