PDA

View Full Version : Roddick or Nadal?

dmastous
06-26-2006, 08:06 PM
This isn't a comparison because the two are not really comparable. One is a dirt dog and a grinder who has done exactly what's been expected of him and the other is a power prodigy who has had some peaks, but has been dissapointing overall.
Without getting into all the anti-American crap why do you thing the big Babolat ad in the back of my Tennis World Mag features Carlos Moya (a Mayorcean has been - 1 time French Open Champ) Andy Roddick (the previously mentioned prodigy - 1 US Open title) and Kim Clisters (an oft injured lady who seems less interested in tennis every day - 1 US Open title). Where's the guy who just dominated the clay court season and won the French Open for the second consecutive year? When does Nadal get the respect from Babolat that he derves?

lucky leprechaun
06-26-2006, 08:16 PM
They can start by renaming the pure aeropro drive after nadal. I think its coming. They need to strike while the iron's hot because nadal is definitely the guy right now. They've already milked roddick for all he's worth.

Chang
06-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Maybe they're advertising the pure drive, if they advertised aeroprodrive then, Nadal would definately be in it.

shawn1122
06-26-2006, 08:41 PM
That must be it, since all those players use the Pure Drive.

lacoster
06-26-2006, 08:44 PM
If it was that same ad from last year, It most likely showcased them for the Pure Drive. It's like the Yonex ads showcasing their own trio of Nalbandian, Dementieva, and Hewitt for RDX or RDS. They wouldn't randomly put Hingis on the ad....just like Nadal's case.
________
Toyota 7m-ge specifications (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_7M-GE)

mowcopian
06-27-2006, 12:26 AM
name the aero pro, the aero pro nadal for 1 thing.

tangerine
06-27-2006, 09:06 AM
This isn't a comparison because the two are not really comparable. One is a dirt dog and a grinder who has done exactly what's been expected of him and the other is a power prodigy who has had some peaks, but has been dissapointing overall.
You have your prodigies mixed up: Roddick is not a tennis prodigy, was never raised as one, trained as one, or treated as one.

Nadal, however, is/was very much the child prodigy.

Grimjack
06-27-2006, 12:16 PM
When does Nadal get the respect from Babolat that he derves?

Nadal is a marketing nightmare.

Think: who is the demographic you're trying to appeal to when he pitches the Babolats?

Women play a different game, so they aren't going to be likely to buy a racquet Nadal is endorsing. History says sporting goods need to be gender-marketed to sell successfully.

Men, on the other hand, are going to be turned off by the ever-present question of his iffy sexuality. That's not to judge Nadal or his life-choices -- that's just marketing 101 talking: you can't sell to athletic men with a Mary as a spokesmodel. We all wish it were a more enlightened world, but the fact is, very few guys want to risk having a bag full of Babolats on the day a maid walks into the hotel room and catches Nadal with his hand down Moya's shorts during a "Playstation session." Even if that day never comes, the fact that he dresses like Jackie O is going to keep that specter looming.

And what's more, although he's a great claycourt player, he's not all that marketable if he can't win in NY or London. The people who care about the French are the markets without money. Otherwise, they wouldn't play on dirt in the first place. And again, as much as we may wish it were a fair, equitable world, there's just no sense marketing to markets without money. The slickest advertising in the world isn't going to sell Bentleys in Ecuador.

In short, they don't market him because there's no reason to bother. He'll have to be content with being a great one-surface player, and a legend in the third world.

sureshs
06-27-2006, 12:31 PM

Think: who is the demographic you're trying to appeal to when he pitches the Babolats?

Women play a different game, so they aren't going to be likely to buy a racquet Nadal is endorsing. History says sporting goods need to be gender-marketed to sell successfully.

Men, on the other hand, are going to be turned off by the ever-present question of his iffy sexuality. That's not to judge Nadal or his life-choices -- that's just marketing 101 talking: you can't sell to athletic men with a Mary as a spokesmodel. We all wish it were a more enlightened world, but the fact is, very few guys want to risk having a bag full of Babolats on the day a maid walks into the hotel room and catches Nadal with his hand down Moya's shorts during a "Playstation session." Even if that day never comes, the fact that he dresses like Jackie O is going to keep that specter looming.

And what's more, although he's a great claycourt player, he's not all that marketable if he can't win in NY or London. The people who care about the French are the markets without money. Otherwise, they wouldn't play on dirt in the first place. And again, as much as we may wish it were a fair, equitable world, there's just no sense marketing to markets without money. The slickest advertising in the world isn't going to sell Bentleys in Ecuador.

In short, they don't market him because there's no reason to bother. He'll have to be content with being a great one-surface player, and a legend in the third world.

I don't think tennis racquets are gender-marketed yet, except for the W line and a few exceptions. How many women buy a racquet because Lindsay/Venus/Justine (supposedly) uses it?

And clay courts are more expensive to maintain, from what I have heard.

The FO is huge in countries like France, Germany, Spain and Argentina, where there should be enough people with disposable income to buy new racquets.

I don't know if men are turned off for the reason that you mention. I have seen men (specially older men) upset at Nadal for a) his pants b) his boxer-like tactics c) beating Federer every time. But I suspect the real reason is jealousy. They would rather have a polished guy like Federer be their hero than an upstart brash young muscleman. Fed is the distant aloof perfectionist who they can never reach, but Nadal is more like the street guy with the pumped up physique they feel insecure about.

BabolatFan
06-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Without getting into all the anti-American crap why do you thing the big Babolat ad in the back of my Tennis World Mag features Carlos Moya (a Mayorcean has been - 1 time French Open Champ) Andy Roddick (the previously mentioned prodigy - 1 US Open title) and Kim Clisters (an oft injured lady who seems less interested in tennis every day - 1 US Open title). Where's the guy who just dominated the clay court season and won the French Open for the second consecutive year? When does Nadal get the respect from Babolat that he derves?
Nadal is a good TV entertainment for non-tennis fans and other casual tennis players. Most of the time, there's a babolat page featuring Nadal with his apd. But then the truth is the pure drive series sells more.

tlm
06-27-2006, 01:28 PM
originally posted by sureshs, i don't know if men are turned off for the reason that you mention. I have seen men (specially older men) upset at Nadal for a) his pants b) his boxer-like tactics c) beating Federer every time. But I suspect the real reason is jealousy. They would rather have a polished guy like Federer be their hero than an upstart brash young muscleman. Fed is the distant aloof perfectionist who they can never reach, but Nadal is more like the street guy with the pumped up physique they feel insecure about.

You hit the nail on the head with your observations sureshs !!

jackson vile
06-27-2006, 03:51 PM

People need to pull their heads out of thier @$$, this is about money money money, both ways. The players and the companies.

Nadal is still gathering momentum, still yound and fresh on the tour.

The real fact though is that if the public does not ask for it, it is not going to happen.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Roddick is the much nicer person, but Nadal is currently the much better tennis player.

framebreaker
06-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Men, on the other hand, are going to be turned off by the ever-present question of his iffy sexuality. That's not to judge Nadal or his life-choices -- that's just marketing 101 talking: i
this may be correct for north american men but there is a world outside north america (yes, believe it or not-amazing!!). and all those men outside norh american would be considered gay by american standards. Culture And Open Mindedness 101;) :rolleyes:

shawn1122
06-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Ya, I don't see any proof that justifies doubting his sexaulity. Is it the clothes he wears or the fact that he's not too fluent in English?

Kobble
06-27-2006, 05:21 PM
It is funny that someone would mention iffy sexuality when they really don't have any proof of a majority of the players' orientation. Worst of all, if he is gay, then the peoples' hero is geting beat by a gay guy. If it is used as an inuslt toward the winning party then how bad is the losing party? He does give off a Greg Louganis vibe, but who knows.

emcee
06-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Since when do people think Nadal is gay? Not that there's anything wrong with that...but is it just the pants? Now I can UNDERSTAND why someone MIGHT think Federer is gay but Rafa? He's quite masculine...besides the pants. But they're normal in Europe/South America, right?

Brettolius
06-28-2006, 04:52 AM
Good one Grim, that's hilarious! I swear, sometimes its like I'm taking crazy pills, doesn't anyone know how to discern a serious statement from a joke around here?

jackcrawford
06-28-2006, 05:04 AM
you can't sell to athletic men
You mean the gullible wannabe athlete that is seduced by the Bud/Marlboro advertising - often a fat slob more reminiscent of Homer Simpson than the muscular Nadal.

Mulligan
07-04-2006, 06:52 PM

This post exemplifies the phrase "ignorance is bliss". I'm sure that Babolat is p**ing their pants that they have to put up with Nadal as an Aeropro Drive user. Just lucky I guess that the frame is selling off the shelves around the world. Anyone who wants to "get ahead in marketing" should read the above post and do exactly the opposite. Yeah, Nadal is not "marketable". I think grampa is sniffing Sterno again.

Alley Cat
07-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Good one Grim, that's hilarious! I swear, sometimes its like I'm taking crazy pills, doesn't anyone know how to discern a serious statement from a joke around here?

I did a quick search of "Grim's" posts for a quick laugh and realize that I don't think that even he knows what a joke/serious statement is any more. Lame posts made to look quirky...but with no real point?