PDA

View Full Version : Seeking serious woodie players

joe sch
07-10-2004, 05:57 AM
Im looking into setting up a fun woodies on grass tournament at Palm Springs in S.Cal which is one of the few spots left in the US that still has grass tennis courts. I was wondering how many wood tennis racket players would be interested in meeting there some weekend for the most enjoyable tennis weekend of your life :)
If you think you maybe interested, post here and/or send me an email at joesch@woodtennis.com Im am located in S.Cal about 2 hours west of Palm Springs so for me this would be a nice field trip. Im also looking to setup more fun woodie matches in the S.Cal area so also let me know if any others may also be interested in this type of action. It would also help to have an idea about your level of play. I sorta assume most players that have grown up playing wood would have reached a level of 4.5 and it would help to have an idea of your level for setting up this type of competition ? Cheers, Joe

jayserinos99
07-10-2004, 10:21 AM
even though i'm in northern california, i wouldn't mind taking a road trip out to palm springs and getting to hit on a grass court. i'm not a wood tennis racket player (western forehand, 2h backhand) but i wouldn't mind trying (i have a prince woodie). just out of curiousity, how much would each player pay to play? also, we would need grass court shoes w/ nubs no?

joe sch
07-10-2004, 11:14 AM
Im sure grass courts shoes would help but not required. The court costs are not cheap but a deal considering the location and upkeep, I believe they are something like $25/hr. The biggest expense is lodging which is generally expensive in the Palm Springs area because of all the world class resorts and country clubs. Lots of golf if that also interests anyone. There are cheaper motels in the area but if you want to stay at a resort, like La Quinta, so you can walk out to the grass tennis or golf, they it will be sort pricey.