PDA

View Full Version : According to Henman does Nadal have a chance of winning Wimby?

The Pusher Terminator
06-27-2006, 10:21 AM
I was watching Henman vs Soderling and according to ESPN , Henman has stated that you cannot win Wimby with serve and volley anymore. Furthermore ESPN says that a thicker stronger and SLOWER grass has now been laid at Wimbledon (because grass court sneakers were tearing up the courts).

Therefore do you think that Nadal may actually have a shot at winning Wimby?

sureshs
06-27-2006, 10:30 AM
The ESPN commentator (Dick Endberg is it?) also said that in the Queens match when Nadal retired in the third after being tied 1-1, observers felt that he had actually outplayed Hewitt (former Wimby champ and eventual winner). If that is the case, expect to see a Nadal-Fed final again.

illkhiboy
06-27-2006, 10:31 AM
I was watching Henman vs Soderling and according to ESPN , Henman has stated that you cannot win Wimby with serve and volley anymore. Furthermore ESPN says that a thicker stronger and SLOWER grass has now been laid at Wimbledon (because grass court sneakers were tearing up the courts).

Therefore do you think that Nadal may actually have a shot at winning Wimby?

Wimbledon grass has been slowed down? REALLY? Wow, guess I should watch ESPN more often.

cabernetjunkie
06-27-2006, 10:37 AM
I dont know.....well, if the grass is slowed down as much as everyone says it is I'm looking for nadal and alot of other players that dont usually do good on grass to go deep into the tourny. We will have to wait and see.:)

Moose Malloy
06-27-2006, 10:51 AM
I dont know.....well, if the grass is slowed down as much as everyone says it is I'm looking for nadal and alot of other players that dont usually do good on grass to go deep into the tourny

Ferrero, Coria, Gonzalez made the 2nd week last year. Grass has been slow since '02, this isn't anything new.

fastdunn
06-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Wimbledon grass has been slowed down? REALLY? Wow, guess I should watch ESPN more often.

Cliff Drysdale compared current grass with his days(supposedly 1960's)
and commented that Wimbledon plays pretty much like hard court
on 1st week and somewhat behaves like clay court on 2nd week.

edberg505
06-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Watch the match Nadal is playing against Alex Bogdanovic, a person who has never won a first round match in Wimby in like 5 tries, and that will give you your answer.

sureshs
06-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Watch the match Nadal is playing against Alex Bogdanovic, a person who has never won a first round match in Wimby in like 5 tries, and that will give you your answer.

He has won the first set and in the TB of the second. What matters is if he wins or not.

Edit: He won the second.

BiGGieStuFF
06-27-2006, 11:50 AM
I hate the new slower surface. I want to see fast attacking points. Aggression is supposed to be the name of the game at wimbledon. I guess it still is kind of :(

sureshs
06-27-2006, 11:51 AM
I hate the new slower surface. I want to see fast attacking points. Aggression is supposed to be the name of the game at wimbledon. I guess it still is kind of :(

Federer was on ESPN2 today and said he is more focused on the baseline game.

Shabazza
06-27-2006, 11:58 AM
If he plays like today it's not gonna happen soon!!

bluescreen
06-27-2006, 12:01 PM
i watched federer blow a better-than-average gasquet out of the match, and now i watch nadal barely squeeze by a no-name. that should sum up nadal's chances of winning wimbledon.

BabolatFan
06-27-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm watching Nadal's match today. Super boring. Alex have also been beaten by players outside 100 too. OP, Nadal does have a shot of surviving until the 3rd round. His game is really not for grass.

fastdunn
06-27-2006, 12:07 PM
i watched federer blow a better-than-average gasquet out of the match, and now i watch nadal barely squeeze by a no-name. that should sum up nadal's chances of winning wimbledon.

Yeah, pretty much although I don't think Gasquet was better-than-avergae.
gasquet was "no show" today. he needs to grow up sooner or later.
he still plays like a junior. hit a cool shot and try to look cool.
he acts like trying to look cool for girls or something...

KBalla08
06-27-2006, 12:24 PM
federer played very agressive today, he attacked the net when he needed, and it payed off. i thought he said he wants to do that more, come to the net this time around, more than his other 3...

Shabazza
06-27-2006, 12:45 PM
federer played very agressive today, he attacked the net when he needed, and it payed off. i thought he said he wants to do that more, come to the net this time around, more than his other 3...
certainly not more than in 2003, that would be suicide!

The Pusher Terminator
06-27-2006, 02:31 PM
I think the only question is who will Fed face in the final . I wonder if he will serve and volley?

tlm
06-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Nadal is not going far on the grass surface,his game does not work on grass.Cant wait for this outdated grass crap tournament to end.

Then we can get on with real tennis on the hardcourts!

Aykhan Mammadov
06-27-2006, 02:48 PM
My understanding is that Nadal never can win W, and even reach semis.

MHK
06-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Just to say, while we are not likely to see Bogdanovic in the top 10 any time soon, the guy does have talent and played a pretty good match today. Its been his work ethic and his mental committment to the game that has most often been in question but a couple of years ago he was being talked about as the best future hope GB had (till Murray). He's just below his career high ranking just now and he played at near his top game today...So while Nadal will absolutely have to raise his game on grass over the next couple of years if he is to win it (which I have no doubt he can do in the future) I thought there was some good play in there, some outstanding rallies and some nice net points from Nadal when he did venture in.

fastdunn
06-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Plus he would be very familiar with Wimbledon courts, which, I assume
he often gets a chance to practice on all year around (as a Brit player).

MHK
06-27-2006, 04:01 PM

Indeed, certainly more access to grass courts, thats for sure. And he's just come off the back of playing 3 grass court tournaments, admittedly losing in the first round of each but against Tursanov it was 7-6, 6-4 at Queens, and against Max Myrni 6-4, 6-7, 3-6 at Nottingham - certainly not easy opponents. The guy can play when he gets his act together. As Michael Stich kept saying on the commentary, he has a service action very similar to Ivanisevic which is no bad thing on grass (though obviously no where near as good a serve). I thought Nadal played better here than he had against Verdasco at Queens.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Nadals gone in the 3rd round to Andre this year, no chance he even gets farther than the semis in his career.

MHK
06-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Nadals gone in the 3rd round to Andre this year, no chance he even gets farther than the semis in his career.

But the guy could have more than 10 years of top class tennis ahead of him! Is it not possible he could progress to at least the semis on one occassion given his willingness to get better on the surface and the fact he has already progressed to the 3rd round 3 years ago on his Wimbledon debut becoming the youngest player at 17 to progress so far since Becker? Stringing a few more matches together should be well within his capabilities in a couple of years I should think. You may well be right that Agassi will prove too much for him this time if Nadal gets to the 3rd round but he won't go down without a fight.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-27-2006, 04:29 PM
But the guy could have more than 10 years of top class tennis ahead of him!

Get real, with his game style he has 5 or 6 more years, at best, of top level tennis in him. 25 or 26 will be it for him as a real contender on tour.

AAAA
06-27-2006, 04:30 PM

your assumption is wrong, like many.

fastdunn
06-27-2006, 06:36 PM
your assumption is wrong, like many.

Prove me wrong then. He is a Brit and Nadal is Spainard. Who is
"more" comfortable with grass and who is more comfortable
with clay ?

sliceroni
06-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Like someone mentioned, slower courts and heavier balls in attempt to increase length of rallies isn't nothing new, but it is still quicker than hardcourts and bounces lower. Actually if the grasscourts were like that of the 90's and earlier I'd give Henman a little more of a chance against Fed.

Tennis_Monk
06-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Nadal has to improve some more. Yes...he has the game to play on Grass as well. He will soon figure it out.

Grass is a lil slower sure..but i dont think Nadal's forehand is gonna trouble fderer's backhand.

AAAA
06-27-2006, 07:25 PM
You originally wrote, quote:

Plus he would be very familiar with Wimbledon courts, which, I assume he often gets a chance to practice on all year around (as a Brit player).

To which I said you were wrong in your assumption, that is wrong to assume Bogdanovic can practice on the Wimbledon courts. I looked up England's LTA site and found this link

http://www.lta.org.uk/Performance/NationalPerformanceProgramme/HighPerformanceCentres/

it lists where the Brits practice, Wimbledon as I suspected is not on the list. So like I said, your assumption that Bogdanovic is very familiar with Wimbledon courts is wrong.

Your response
Prove me wrong then. He is a Brit and Nadal is Spainard. Who is
"more" comfortable with grass and who is more comfortable
with clay ?

is unrelated to your assumption about where this 'Bog' guy practices.

ken1d
06-27-2006, 08:31 PM
this next match nadal is going to play wont be a walk in the park. Robert kendrick is a very solid player. I saw him at the forest hill westside club hardtrue challanger. His each and every shot were noticabley bigger then most of the players that were playing in the tournament. I think he has big enough game to be atleast in the top 50. I dont think his ranking really gives a solid picture as to how good his game really is. If he is feeling confident and his big serve and forhand is working, this could be a tight match and i think he might even take it through nadal. So watch out for this guy robert kendrick.

HyperHorse
06-28-2006, 12:19 AM
HELL will freeze over before NADAL EVER WINS WIMBLEDON....

ontherise17
06-28-2006, 11:50 AM
HELL will freeze over before NADAL EVER WINS WIMBLEDON....

then get ur winter coat from the closet. it will happen some day.

edberg505
06-28-2006, 01:29 PM
then get ur winter coat from the closet. it will happen some day.

Would you be willing to bet all your house on that?