PDA

View Full Version : Federer's Summary Comment on Aggasi

MaxT
06-27-2006, 11:43 AM
ESPN had everyone say something nice about Aggasi on the occasion that he announced retirement plan. This is the time to summarize a career and be generous with kind words. Time to say he is one of the greatest of all time, etc, etc.

I thought Federer's comments were very matter-of-factly, without any hype, and probably understated a bit: "He is a great returner. He is also one of the more colorful personalities. He will surely be missed."

bluescreen
06-27-2006, 11:59 AM
well what did u expect him to do? cry and collapse on the ground pronouncing agassi's brilliance? i thought it was ok.

BaseLineBash
06-27-2006, 01:18 PM
That is short portion of what he said, check out the "Agassi retirement" thread for the complete words from Fed.

Warriorroger
06-27-2006, 01:52 PM
ESPN had everyone say something nice about Aggasi on the occasion that he announced retirement plan. This is the time to summarize a career and be generous with kind words. Time to say he is one of the greatest of all time, etc, etc.

I thought Federer's comments were very matter-of-factly, without any hype, and probably understated a bit: "He is a great returner. He is also one of the more colorful personalities. He will surely be missed."

He said a lot more, what's your problem, as if we didn't have enough Federer/Graf bashers over here. It's okay to criticize, but be fair.

Ripper
06-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Federer/Graf bashers

These are different groups; Fed is great, but Graf was just lucky... you know why :cool:

Warriorroger
06-27-2006, 02:18 PM
These are different groups; Fed is great, but Graf was just lucky... you know why :cool:

Yeah, I do, playing a game that luckily no generation could stand, The golden slam pre-stabbing, you're so right girlfriend!:p

Ripper
06-27-2006, 02:47 PM
you're so right girlfriend!:p

Yep, I'm friendly to girls, including you, if you're one :cool:

Aykhan Mammadov
06-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Of course, such a genius as Federer really can't consider Agassi as a genius too. Despite Agassi won on all 4 surfaces. Agassi is surely GREAT player, but maybe not for genius Federer. Agassi is really colourfull personality, and the world will miss him.

Also if to take into account they met 11 times and last 8 times Fed won beginning from 2003.

I dodn't think really Federer can consider somebody better than him. Even not Sampras because he brilliantly won him in 2001.

I just can suppose Borg could be some ideal for him because he won 5 times W and 6 times FO, and he won W 5 times in a row, and RG 4 times in a row.

jackson vile
06-27-2006, 04:47 PM
I don't like Roger, but this post is just out of line and people once agian forcing BS.

Roger is not much for personality, that is him, and how he has always been, to himself.

Tennis_Monk
06-27-2006, 06:39 PM
So what are we expecting?...everybody to say "Agassi you are the greatest and i bow to thee"..?

Federer has said enough good things about Agassi so many times. Agassi's retirement is almost expected and for someone like fderer he would have figured it out.

nn
06-27-2006, 06:56 PM
sure Roger didn't like so much attention Andre was getting at US Open and he was so happy winning against him at US Open or say he like to beat all time great player in history if he can't..

TXKiteboarder
06-27-2006, 08:00 PM
comeon guys, agassi is something but Fedex looks up to someone higher on the ladder, sampras.

I just downloaded 2001 wimbledon match of him playing 5 sets against Sampras. Fed won in five and let his emotions got best of him, he had little tears coming out. it was a third round match. samp was no. 1 vs. 15 seeded fedex. this match will definately stay part of my library. It was as one retired into sunset while a sun was rising for another.

I hope ivanosivic thanked fed after the wimbledon because if it wasnt for fed, sampras might have 8 wimby titles.

in the match, I was impressed by macroe, stating that "fed will win few titles in futures". it was a good prediction...

superman1
06-27-2006, 08:29 PM
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with that. All of the players are very boring when they talk in these press conference type things. They all talk exactly the same. "Yeah, well, he's a legend and he's done so much for the game." These guys are hitting balls all day not practicing public speaking.

superman1
06-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Safin is the only guy who speaks with personality:

Q. Years from now when you're old and have grey hair, your grandkids ask you to tell them a story about great Andre Agassi, what story would you tell them?

MARAT SAFIN: Well, I think it's the first guy who made tennis a show and entertainment. Of course, he achieved a lot of Grand Slams and everything, but he made this entertainment with his looks, with his pants, with the fashion that he brought into tennis. The people start to be a little bit with the glasses he played, first guy who played with glasses, I think, short hair, long hair, earrings. What he's missing, tattoos. But he made a show on the court actually. He had such charisma. Also in the same way he could concentrate on what he was doing. He keeped his level of tennis during 15 years he's been on the tour, even more, 18 years that he's been on the tour. He's been there all the time top 10, top two, top three. He had only one slip. One year, I don't remember which was it, '97 I guess, '96, something like that. Well, he slipped a little bit, but he could come back from being 150 in the world and playing challengers, come back and I think he's been No. 1 in the world afterwards.

Q. You said entertainment, personality is so important in tennis. Can we replace Agassi?

MARAT SAFIN: No, because he's a personality. You cannot replace personality with another personality. It can be a different story, different guy has to be. The second one who tries to copy him will never be the same, that's for sure. It's going to be who will take a place and who will try to be as close as him. But I think they should be doing it in a different way. Well, of course we have Federer, we have Roddick, we have Hewitt. But of course Agassi is Agassi. It's like a brand already. Andre Agassi, you already know what you're talking about, you know what to expect. Compared to him, we are kids. We have to learn much more in our lives to be able to get there.

HollerOne5
06-27-2006, 08:52 PM
He said a lot more, what's your problem, as if we didn't have enough Federer/Graf bashers over here. It's okay to criticize, but be fair.

Always have to throw in the name "Graf" amazingly in every post, even though the thread has nothing to do with that hoe

BaseLineBash
06-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Safin is the only guy who speaks with personality:

Q. Years from now when you're old and have grey hair, your grandkids ask you to tell them a story about great Andre Agassi, what story would you tell them?

MARAT SAFIN: Well, I think it's the first guy who made tennis a show and entertainment. Of course, he achieved a lot of Grand Slams and everything, but he made this entertainment with his looks, with his pants, with the fashion that he brought into tennis. The people start to be a little bit with the glasses he played, first guy who played with glasses, I think, short hair, long hair, earrings. What he's missing, tattoos. But he made a show on the court actually. He had such charisma. Also in the same way he could concentrate on what he was doing. He keeped his level of tennis during 15 years he's been on the tour, even more, 18 years that he's been on the tour. He's been there all the time top 10, top two, top three. He had only one slip. One year, I don't remember which was it, '97 I guess, '96, something like that. Well, he slipped a little bit, but he could come back from being 150 in the world and playing challengers, come back and I think he's been No. 1 in the world afterwards.

Q. You said entertainment, personality is so important in tennis. Can we replace Agassi?

MARAT SAFIN: No, because he's a personality. You cannot replace personality with another personality. It can be a different story, different guy has to be. The second one who tries to copy him will never be the same, that's for sure. It's going to be who will take a place and who will try to be as close as him. But I think they should be doing it in a different way. Well, of course we have Federer, we have Roddick, we have Hewitt. But of course Agassi is Agassi. It's like a brand already. Andre Agassi, you already know what you're talking about, you know what to expect. Compared to him, we are kids. We have to learn much more in our lives to be able to get there.
Excellent find Superman1, very interesting thoughts from Marat.

TXKiteboarder
06-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Always have to throw in the name "Graf" amazingly in every post, even though the thread has nothing to do with that hoe

care to explain?

The Pusher Terminator
06-28-2006, 02:54 AM

Fed & Graf bashers? I dont think you can lump those two groups together.

Secondly, are there really Graf bashers out there? Who the hell cares about Graf anyway? She is from prehistoric times dude.

superman1
06-28-2006, 04:15 AM
Prehistoric times? You mean like, 1999? Yeah, that's a loooong time ago. 4 Australian Opens, 6 French Opens, 7 Wimbledons, 5 Australian Opens, Olympic Gold, silver, and bronze. Yeah, who cares about Graf.

Anyway, Safin always has interesting things to say. I remember years back he said that talking about Sampras was like talking about God.

Warriorroger
06-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Prehistoric times? You mean like, 1999? Yeah, that's a loooong time ago. 4 Australian Opens, 6 French Opens, 7 Wimbledons, 5 Australian Opens, Olympic Gold, silver, and bronze. Yeah, who cares about Graf.

Anyway, Safin always has interesting things to say. I remember years back he said that talking about Sampras was like talking about God.

Thank you Superman.

llama
06-28-2006, 10:58 AM

How old are you? 12? Because that would be the only excuse (albeit pathetic) for such a disgusting post. Whatever your feelings about Graf, that is totally uncalled for.

beernutz
06-28-2006, 11:48 AM
How old are you? 12? Because that would be the only excuse (albeit pathetic) for such a disgusting post. Whatever your feelings about Graf, that is totally uncalled for.

I agree with your contempt for HollerOne5, however, attributing him with the maturity of a 12 year old is an insult to 12 year olds everywhere.

Warriorroger
06-28-2006, 11:59 AM

Hope her children never have to read your comments: so uncalled for.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/XWIM158062714_800x600.jpg

llama
06-28-2006, 12:50 PM
I agree with your contempt for HollerOne5, however, attributing him with the maturity of a 12 year old is an insult to 12 year olds everywhere.

You are correct. I apologize to 12 year olds everywhere.

rounick
06-28-2006, 02:36 PM
I do think too that Fed could have been a bit more gracious to a LEGEND of this game whose achievments he has not yet even matched.
Agassi is THE greatest of modern times tennis in my book,bar none.Sampras may have won more matches,more GS,blah,blah but Agassi gave so much more to the game for such a long time.AND he has won ALL GRAND SLAMS.
People who didn't give a ***** about tennis would change the channel and watch a game if Agassi played.He has been the link between three generations of tennis players,managing to stay at the very top all the time,even coming back after some tough times.
Agassi has defined modern tennis as much as it has defined him.
He will be more than just missed.

FEDEXP
06-28-2006, 02:43 PM
The above is pretty sentimental stuff......

rounick
06-28-2006, 02:48 PM
That's because I'm a sentimental kinda guy..

Gilgamesh
06-28-2006, 04:04 PM
comeon guys, agassi is something but Fedex looks up to someone higher on the ladder, sampras.

I just downloaded 2001 wimbledon match of him playing 5 sets against Sampras. Fed won in five and let his emotions got best of him, he had little tears coming out. it was a third round match. samp was no. 1 vs. 15 seeded fedex. this match will definately stay part of my library. It was as one retired into sunset while a sun was rising for another.

Great match. I dl too and burned it on DVD.

It was almost like the passing of the torch.

I'm looking for some classic Agassi/Sampras matchups...does anybody know where I can get my hands on some of those?