PDA

View Full Version : S&V and approach and volley are simply not good tactics on tour.

Golden Retriever
06-27-2006, 12:33 PM
1. You are opened to all sorts of attacks, eg. lob, passing shot, dipping topspin etc.

2. On the other hand your options for attacking are limited. Unless you get that perfect high volley or overhead, you might find yourself having to hit up on the volley or even hit the half volley, the hardest shot in tennis.

3. A volley is essentially a block so its power and spin is limited, thats why even a perfect volley gets run down so often.

4. When your at the net, a minor mistake is fatal. When your at the baseline, a minor mistake is what it is, a minor mistake, not fatal.

LowProfile
06-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Did you read Bill Tilden's book? Because in it he details exactly why, all things being equal, a baseliner will always have the advantage against a serve-and-volleyer.

Match, Play, and the Spin of the Ball I think it was called.

Golden Retriever
06-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Did you read Bill Tilden's book? Because in it he details exactly why, all things being equal, a baseliner will always have the advantage against a serve-and-volleyer.

No, but I already know that without having to read the book.

cabernetjunkie
06-27-2006, 01:09 PM
In todays game(pro tour) S&V just does not win matches anymore. To me you have to be an attacking baseline with a good placement on you serve. You really dont even have an advantage with a big serve anymore, look at Roddick.

sureshs
06-27-2006, 01:09 PM
1. You are opened to all sorts of attacks, eg. lob, passing shot, dipping topspin etc.

2. On the other hand your options for attacking are limited. Unless you get that perfect high volley or overhead, you might find yourself having to hit up on the volley or even hit the half volley, the hardest shot in tennis.

3. A volley is essentially a block so its power and spin is limited, thats why even a perfect volley gets run down so often.

4. When your at the net, a minor mistake is fatal. When your at the baseline, a minor mistake is what it is, a minor mistake, not fatal.

5. You also need to be tall and have a huge wingspan to have a chance at the passing shots or lobs.
6. You have to have a very good first serve.

urban
06-27-2006, 01:15 PM
It is certainly more difficult to play serve and volley, because the new rackets favour the serve and the return. But if you play low, deep slice approach shots on grass, the returner has to pick up the balls for a passing. If a good volleyer would attack Federer on his backhand, he would get caught 5-6 times out of 20, but the other 14 points he would win. Also important is anticipation and positional play at the net, nobody today seems to have it.

araghava
06-27-2006, 02:22 PM
The problem is that the grass court season is exactly 4 weeks long. So even though S&V is probably still a good tactic on grass (even the slow high bouncing variety), no player is willing to invest the time and energy to learn a tactic that they won't use for the other 48 weeks.

Instead they choose to play their natural game on grass as well. If the grass season were expanded to 8 weeks and put on par with clay and hard court, i'm sure we would see a lot more S&V (on all surfaces).

fastdunn
06-27-2006, 04:07 PM

Yep. proly true. baseliner will come out as a winner in the long run.
however, S&Ver can take a chance to beat the best baseliner
on a given day. kinda like doing "all in" when a poker tournament
comes down to 2 players at the end....

Aykhan Mammadov
06-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Is it because last years in the tour champions were great S&Vs, such as:

McEnroe
Becker
Edberg
Sampras

Even game of Federer includes some elements of S&V, as well as Roddick's, Ivanicevic's, Ljubicic's.

Pure "NON S&Vs" last years were Agassi, Hewitt, Ferrero, Kuerten. Only Agassi was very successfull on all surfaces.