PDA

View Full Version : How important are shoes for your game?

ionutzakis
06-28-2006, 04:39 AM
I played with Reebok Upset DMX for a year now, and I switched to some old Lotto ATP Power which are ~ 2 oz lighter and I could feel the difference right away: quicker first step, less tired during the game, more attacking the net, easier to serve etc.

So I feel I get better results. The trade off is that they don't have the same cushioning as Upset, but then again I play on clay.

What about you, what do you play with and what is you choice, lighter or heavier, and how do they affect your game?

BiGGieStuFF
06-28-2006, 05:32 AM
When I was younger I was worried more about lightweight shoes as my body could take the pounding. Now that I'm 30 which isn't too old or too young, I'm a bit more conscious about the pounding I'm taking on the hardcourts so cushioning is a big factor for me. I want to get a lightweight shoe though for maybe just matchplay but adidas climacool feathers and clima ultimates are too narrow.

For basketball though since I only play indoors it's all about lightweight for me. I usually don't like anything heavier than 15oz. BIV's are the heaviest shoes I've ever worn for tennis. I can feel it too, but I've been training my legs more diligently so it's not as noticeable anymore.

snoflewis
06-28-2006, 11:33 PM
just tennis in general, if im satisfied w/ the stuff im using, i'll be fine, but if im not...then it won't be pretty.

balongbalong
06-29-2006, 01:12 AM
its the second most important equipment to the rackets, imho.

picking a wrong shoe can lead to injuries and discomfort while playing

slice bh compliment
06-29-2006, 01:41 AM
I go barefoot a lot, but yeah, there's nothing like some solid footwear when you're out there competing.

It's like car guys say about tires -- the only part of the car that touches the road. Make the effort to get good ones that fit your feet just right.
I feel the same way about the handle/leather grip/overgrip. And strings, too, since they touch the ball.

brucie
06-29-2006, 02:00 AM
For me i think shoes are the most important item. They have to be supportive enough for your feet to prevent injury i have 3 pairs:
Barricade 3
Barricade 4
K Swiss Stabilor

All heavy shoes and sure im young, but dont want to give my body the pounding that you suggest it can take.

yoga
06-29-2006, 02:49 AM
or if we rephrase your question this way: how important is footwork to the game of tennis? as i recall john McEnroe said this b4: what differentiates the pros from the none in tennis are just 2 things, footwork & mental toughness

there is no physical equipment for mental toughness, right? but for footwork there is

GroundMaster
06-29-2006, 09:10 AM
Shoes are really important. I thought I'd save some money and bought a pair of Wilsons early this year after using Nikes for more than 10 years. Big mistake. I started getting sore front soles from the constant pounding on the ground, and my knees started hurting from the lack of cushioning.

When you're younger or lighter, your body can probably absorb the stresses better. But as you get older, every bit of comfort adds up.

slice bh compliment
06-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Shoes are really important. I thought I'd save some money and bought a pair of Wilsons early this year after using Nikes for more than 10 years. Big mistake. I started getting sore front soles from the constant pounding on the ground, and my knees started hurting from the lack of cushioning.

When you're younger or lighter, your body can probably absorb the stresses better. But as you get older, every bit of comfort adds up.

Sound advice....and from a guy called GroundMaster. Fitting!

Oh, and as we get older, (a touch heavier on our feet?), wiser (and as money becomes less and less of an issue), we find ourselves replacing shoes before they get that hole in them. :D Hhahahah. Worthwhile for the joints and the muscles, I think.
I play a good bit, and I rotate two pairs. That seems to help. If nothing else, it mitigates the stink factor.

carrwash13
06-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Since footwork is so important I prefer light shoes cause it makes me feel lighter on my feet. Nike's are usually pretty good for this....

Exia
07-01-2006, 05:23 PM
what a stupid question

Watch this video then ask yourleft(warning)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddt3jirOPJs&search=tennis%20ouch

I would rather hit with a frying pan and wear inferior shoes

theracquet
07-04-2006, 04:41 PM
I have a pair of of Reebok match day pumps for practice and Barricades II's for match play. The MDP are 20 oz and the BII are 16 oz, and there is a world of difference. The light weight of the BII's and the glove like fit make them very maneuverable. I notice the difference most when running around my forehand, and quicker first steps. Similar to driving a mini van and a sports car.

mowcopian
07-05-2006, 03:32 PM
well, my coach always said that you should pay more for your shoes than you should for your rackets. is this true???

XFactorer
07-05-2006, 03:37 PM
I think shoes add to one's performance somewhat. I mean, if I slide a lot in a bad pair of shoes, I'm not gonna be able to chase down as many shots as I'd like to. If I roll an ankle easily in a shoe, I'm probably not gonna wear them so I can play much more tennis later on in life. I wear Nike Breathe 3's. I still really like the Nike Vapor S2's, though!

mowcopian
07-05-2006, 03:41 PM
i have the new vapor speeds and my air bubbles have popped, should i send them back???

Lakoste
07-05-2006, 03:48 PM
i have the new vapor speeds and my air bubbles have popped, should i send them back???
Since the Vaper Speeds dont have the 6 month warranty, you're pretty much screwed

Marat Safinator
07-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Not that important, i have barricade 4's

XFactorer
07-07-2006, 07:55 PM
You can actually send them back to TW and they'll replace them. It's a defect. It's happened to many people and TW has done the exchanges.

T_S_N
07-07-2006, 08:10 PM
I dont worry about weight when i buy shoes for tennis, i just go for something that is comfortable.

I used to worry about weight in my shoes for sports until i spent $200 on a pair of vapors for soccer, i got them and put them on and they were so light, they felt so good on my feet, i had a tournment that weekend and i was excited to wear my cleats then somebody stepped on my foot on a corner kick (and he had on screws ins) and it made my foot bleed and it hurt like **ll so i went back to my old cleats, ever since then i havent worried about weight lol

mctennis
07-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Shoes definately make or break your concentration. For me, if I have feet pain, I won't play well. In fact I'm laying in bed, right now on my laptop, after knee surgery because I used a cheap non- fitting shoes once in a 2 hour match back in September. I've been delaying having surgery til now. It was painful and I've not played since that day. PLEASE get shoes designed for tennis and make sure they fit properly. I just got orthotics and thought the shoes I bought would be ok. WRONG guess.

jonolau
07-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Shoes are the most important thing you need to invest your money in. Scrimping on it will bring a lifetime of suffering in the long run (no pun intended). Imagine in each match, you are pounding the court incessantly, you have to stop abruptly and turn on a dime to change direction, you have to sprint from the baseline to the net for a drop shot ... all these movements will put lots of strain and pressure on your foot, ankle and knees. You will need a good pair of shoes that will provide sufficient lateral support and shock absorbency. After investing in a pair of Nike Air Breathe 3, my legs have never been more thankful and my knees are holding up very well.

theace21
07-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Shoes are the most important thing you need to invest your money in. Scrimping on it will bring a lifetime of suffering in the long run (no pun intended). Imagine in each match, you are pounding the court incessantly, you have to stop abruptly and turn on a dime to change direction, you have to sprint from the baseline to the net for a drop shot ... all these movements will put lots of strain and pressure on your foot, ankle and knees. You will need a good pair of shoes that will provide sufficient lateral support and shock absorbency. After investing in a pair of Nike Air Breathe 3, my legs have never been more thankful and my knees are holding up very well.
Well said...If you play on a hard court, you really need to invest in a quality shoe. The pouning of play will take its toll down the road. Knees, hip, back - they all take a pounding in tennis. A good pair of shoes will really make a difference. I wish I had listened 20 years ago...

limitup
07-12-2006, 12:07 AM
I just watched that video and it sent shivers up my spine. I rolled my ankle once and it was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life, but that video is just sick. I'm probably going to have nightmares now. Thanks a lot! :)

HyperHorse
07-12-2006, 10:03 PM
If you dont have decent shoes, how can you move with any confidence???
I like a shoe with as much cushioning as physically possible..
I dont care how heavy they are, since I do weight training..

tonysk83
07-12-2006, 10:16 PM
I just watched that video and it sent shivers up my spine. I rolled my ankle once and it was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life, but that video is just sick. I'm probably going to have nightmares now. Thanks a lot! :)

When I blew out(ripped and tore everything in it) my ankle playing basketball, going for a layup and landing sideways, I felt like I was going to throw up from the inital pain.

As for shoes, I have always had good shoes but am going to buy something with more cushioning over my BFII's. Knee surgery and ankle injuries need a lot of support. I might get new insoles for my shoes and see if that helps since the shoes only have like 2 months of wear on them.

slewisoh
07-12-2006, 10:36 PM
I have a pair of of Reebok match day pumps for practice and Barricades II's for match play. The MDP are 20 oz and the BII are 16 oz, and there is a world of difference. The light weight of the BII's and the glove like fit make them very maneuverable. I notice the difference most when running around my forehand, and quicker first steps. Similar to driving a mini van and a sports car.

Most people talk about the Barricades as being a heavy shoe, but compared to those Reeboks - I guess it's all relative...

I used to wear lightweight Wilson shoes and rolled my ankles pretty regularly. Even though they initially felt like concrete blocks, I'm sure that the investment in my Barricades has helped prevent ankle injuries. I've actually felt the shoe "catch" my ankle, if that makes sense.

Young Gun
07-12-2006, 10:47 PM
shoes for me are very important because i had a pair of the very 1st climacools and then i switched back to cross trainers and i felt that they were different so i immediately switched back to tennis shoes and never looked back

MariaS
07-14-2006, 04:33 PM
It's not always easy to get the weight of the tennis sneaker. I've always preferred the 'light' Nike's; now New Balance. I don't want to feel the sneakers that are on my feet when I play. :p