PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Suspended Matches

rasajadad
06-28-2006, 05:09 AM
In watching Wimbledon I have some questions. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it:
1) When a match is resumed (next day) do the players start with new balls?
2) Do they play on the same court so the sun is the same (or do they flip a coin for that choice)?

Thanks!

OrangeOne
06-28-2006, 05:17 AM
In watching Wimbledon I have some questions. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it:
1) When a match is resumed (next day) do the players start with new balls?
2) Do they play on the same court so the sun is the same (or do they flip a coin for that choice)?

Thanks!

1) I'd assume so - too much pressure lost overnight one would think. Unless the store them in a pressurised container? Assuming they do change them, I wonder how they work the whole change-pattern from there? I'd be interested to hear the answer to that one!

2. I think it's rare that an in-progress match would ever be changed from one court to another. You hear of scheduled-court changes all the time, but yeah. The sun is likely to be different no-matter-what though, as the whole morning - afternoon thing is going on. (Of course, this assumes the existence of sunshine in england ;))

Just my thoughts, hearing correct answers would be cool.

bigserving
06-28-2006, 09:11 AM
In all matches that are suspended (rain, darkness, lightning) the same balls are put back in play once the match resumes. If the delay is longer than fifteen minutes, the players are entitled to a re-warmup with used balls, then the match balls are put back in play once play resumes. The ball changes will stay on the same game schedules. The same holds true even if several days pass between the suspension and resumption.

If you watch closely when a match is suspended, it is the responsibility of the chair umpire to take possession of the match balls and bring them back once the match resumes. It is quite difficult to witness on TV, but watch some live tennis and you will see what takes place.

The players also play from the same end of the same court with the same chair umpire. There is no coin toss or new choices. Sun, wind, and shadows, may change during the course of a match and the resumption of the match is just considered a continuation of play.

rasajadad
06-28-2006, 09:14 AM
In all matches that are suspended (rain, darkness, lightning) the same balls are put back in play once the match resumes. If the delay is longer than fifteen minutes, the players are entitled to a re-warmup with used balls, then the match balls are put back in play once play resumes. The ball changes will stay on the same game schedules. The same holds true even if several days pass between the suspension and resumption.

The players also play from the same end of the same court with the same chair umpire. There is no coin toss or new choices. Sun, wind, and shadows, may change during the course of a match and the resumption of the match is just considered a continuation of play.

Thanks, Big!