PDA

View Full Version : Czeck made LM Prestige???

rich s
07-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Was talking to a friend today. He said he had an LM Prestige that said Made in the Czeck Republic (or something to that effect) on it. :shock:

Does anyone know anything about the differences (if any) to the Austrian made LM Prestige?

Any thoughts as to why they are already being made somewhere other than Austria? Usually Head moves racquet production from Austria much later than this after racquet introduction.

strife726
07-10-2004, 11:19 PM
Good question, and i dont have an answer. I also have a LM pres that says made in Czech republic. I wonder if it plays any different? Anyone know?

rich s
07-11-2004, 10:05 AM
--

El Diablo
07-11-2004, 12:23 PM
Many "west" European countries have shifted manufacturing to "east" European (i.e. former Soviet bloc) countries to take advantage of lower costs (labor and other).

Bora
07-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Hey Rich, get this. Of the two Austrian made ones I have, the first one I got is about 10 grams heavier. The new one is actually the exact weight as the card that comes with the racquet advertises.

strife726
07-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Are all new LM pres rackets made in the Czech republic? I can't be the only one to have one made there lol.

Pro_Tour_630
07-19-2004, 08:33 PM
LM Prestige's are not Made in Austria, I too have found at least 10 grams between LM prestige Mid Plus's which means that there are also at least 1cm balance difference, within "manufacture tolerance" ?!?! NOT if they were truely made in Austria,

LM prestrige Midplus feels hollow at the handle, might inject some silicone, the head is unstable and the sweet spot smaller, with a dead feel at the top, only positive feedback is my slice backhand,

I found the Austrian Made PT630 superior to the LM Prestige Midplus in every category except for slice backhand.

Bora
07-20-2004, 10:36 AM
Chaho strikes again. So, you are saying that Head intentionaly labeled my second MP as made in Austria when it was made else where? Nice to see that everything is still black and white for you, old pal.

All the joking aside, even the lighter LM Prestige I have is a great racquet, after I added some lead to the head. I have measured both sticks and they were about .5 cms off in balance, with about 8 kg.cm^2 difference in swingweight.

Pro_Tour_630
07-20-2004, 11:20 AM
Hi Bora does your LM frames say made in austria on the frame or just a tinny little clear sticker on the butt cap? Anyway glade to see that you are playing with the Head Mid plus. Have you tried the chinese PT280?

Bora
07-21-2004, 07:34 AM
I tried the Chinese PT280, borrowed from Rich, I think. It was a nice racquet but the feel was a bit more "harsh" and I didn't think the Sweetspot was as large as the LM Prestige.

Pro_Tour_630
07-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Bora, I think you owe it to yourself more than just "borrowing" your friends stick, you never know how it will play with YOUR favorite set up. The reason you felt it was harsh might be because the chinese PT280 is a little heavier and a bit more head heavy, which is why I play with the Austrian PT630. If I dont hit the middle of the string bed with the LM prestige MP, the whole stick has a jarring effect and some of the shots go uncontrollably out, the sweet spot is the size of a peanut IMO compare to the PT630 and when you hit the top of the string bed there is a "DEAD" feel with the LM prestige MP and a hollow sound at the handle. I do have to admit though to another positive aspect of the LM Prestige MP, the net shots are crisper and cleaner to put away. If my game was based on back hand slices and volleys then I would stick with the LM prestige MP, but my game is mostly big serves with big baseline bashing.

Anyway drope me an email if you want to make a Chinese PT280 less harsh, it is only $49.99

yonexplayer
07-21-2004, 05:03 PM
if you want quality rackets nowadays go for Yonex our Fischer, quality frames all the rest is crap. Head has gone downhill since the intelligence series. The other frame that can compete is the POG original nothing beats that when it comes to quality except Yonex.

Bora
07-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Hey, yonexplayer, if you wish, make me an offer for my MP Tour-5. Since Fischer switched to their current "Generic" feeling molds, I have no desire to try another one of their sticks.

Both of you, I am playing some of the best tennis of my life with my customized LM Prestige MPs and I have no intention of trying anything else at the moment. Even if it is a PT630 or 660. :)

TW Staff
07-22-2004, 04:29 PM
We just had a visit from the folks at HEAD USA, and this topic came up. I also noticed a sticker on the handle of one of the new LM models "Made in Czech Republic" and inquired about this. I was told (and believe this to be true) that all LM racquets (except the LM 2 and new LM Fire) are manufactured in the HEAD factory, located in Kennelbach, Austria (I've been there, so I know it does exist). However, the racquets are (still) finished in the Czech Republic (grips, paint, grommets, etc.). Due to changes in European Union laws, HEAD is now required to state "Made in Czech Republic" on these racquets. That's all I know for now... Don/Tennis Warehouse

Pro_Tour_630
07-22-2004, 07:24 PM
So, you are saying that Head intentionaly labeled my second MP as made in Austria when it was made else where?

Yes, please check Don's response,

I am playing some of the best tennis of my life with my customized LM Prestige MPs and I have no intention of trying anything else at the moment.

You said the same thing when you were fondling the Volkls when we were trying to show you the MOJO behind the Head Mid Plus's to no avail, similar with the difference between the PT630 and the LM Prestige MP, in close matches only few points dictate the outcome, and I would hate to be with an inconsistant/unpretictable feeling LM prestige MP string bed. When hitting with both for few months with a dozen strings, I can only think of how the PT630 makes the LM prestige MP feel like a tweener. Even a heavily customized LMprestige MP did not help it from sinking. "Total Sweetspot Construction" is a gimmik and will be pulled ala triple threat very soon :roll:

PrestigeClassic
07-23-2004, 01:49 AM
Don, do you think that Czech Republic soon entering the European Union will change anything regarding these stickers? This is so interesting! I especially love it when people can't correctly spell the name of the country, yet they are so mesmerized by stickers. :shock:

Bora
07-23-2004, 06:36 AM
Hold it there Chaho.

I still happen to like the Tour 10 MPs. I actually won more throphies and division leads with that racquet than any other I have ever used. I would still be playing with them if it wasn't out of the necessity of using a lower powered stick to preserve my shoulder.

Unlike you, I don't go around claiming one racquet is the greatest and then turn around a few months later and bash it into the ground. BTW, how's that ROK playing out for you?

IMHO, you are doing a great disservice to others on this board by dissing a racquet so heavily because of your personal experience with it. People who read your comments, start doubting their racquet choice and inevitably start hesitating, then end up switching to another racquet just to go through the same experience again.

Like I said, you still see things as black or white. Either you are 100% right or everyone else is totally wrong. The fact is there are many racquets and even more combinations with racquets and customizations. One setup (ie. my current LM Prestiges) might work wonders for someone when it might totally be useless for someone else (ie. YOU).

Another thing, switching to a racquet, finding the best possible setup and getting used to it takes time, patience, knowledge and resources. For those of us who actually play year round compatitively, dropping a racquet and picking up another is not a trivial thing.

To sum it up, STOP with the racquet bashing some other stick every few months. It is getting old.

Pro_Tour_630
07-23-2004, 07:27 AM
Unlike you, I don't go around claiming one racquet is the greatest and then turn around a few months later and bash it into the ground.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/viewtopic.php?t=4607&highlight=
This was my review of the LM prestige MP four months ago when you were still clueless about Head MP's and playing the LM radical MP, dont see where I said that the LM prestige MP is the greatest!? please read the review you might learn something.

IMHO, you are doing a great disservice to others on this board by dissing a racquet so heavily because of your personal experience with it. People who read your comments, start doubting their racquet choice and inevitably start hesitating, then end up switching to another racquet just to go through the same experience again.

I am sorry, didn't know you were that insecure with things. Just wanted to point out that HEAD goofed on this one the LM prestige MP, and in time you too will realize that. Intellifibers and twin tube is an oxymoron, and total sweetspot construction had the opposite effect, and as for torsional stability dont even want to go there with the LM prestige MP

Like I said, you still see things as black or white. Either you are 100% right or everyone else is totally wrong.

When it comes to the Prestige line, I am 100% right

Hey PrestigeClassic,I predict next we will see NANO prestiges “Made in Turkey” that is if they are allowed to enter the EU whenever that may be?:mrgreen:

Bora
07-23-2004, 09:17 AM
As usual, you are rude and clueless. I never played with the Radical MP (Other than demos). If you look at my posts, I never said anything positive about the LM Radical MP.

My reference was to you claiming the Tour 10 was the greatest before you started this personal crusade against them. Think everyone has such a short term memory?

"When it comes to the Prestige line, I am 100% right " of course you are. Thanks for the confirmation.

Low blow with the "Made in Turkey" comment. But typical of you, even with your Turkish descent.

"Just wanted to point out that HEAD goofed...Intellifibers and twin tube is an oxymoron" so Head's most popular 3 racquets, LM Prestige, LM Instinct and the LM Radical are all junk?

Yeah, whatever! Thanks for reminding me why I stopped posting here before.

rich s
07-23-2004, 09:27 AM
you guys crack me up. :)

Pro_Tour_630
07-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Bora - 06:14am Feb 3, 2004 PST (#10 of 10)
The reason I like the LM Radical is because of the enormous sweet spot and great control it offers. If the LM Prestige MP can still offer a large sweet spot and a bit more overall heft and control, I might be willing to shell out some dough. I am not sure if I am willing to pay $200, for what would be a marginal improvement over the LM Radical.

Sorry I thought you were comparing apples to apples with this post (MP’s to Mp’s since the title of the post was LM Prestige vs PT280) but I should have known better that you like to compare apples to oranges. If you dished out $200 for an improvement over the LM Radical, you ought to dish out $500 for an improvement over the LM Prestige MP, by going to a simple PT280 and save yourself mucho dinars.

Bora - 06:38am Feb 13, 2004 PST (#15 of 18)
I had the LM Prestige MP measured at a local RDC machine, it was 64, same as TW's number. It was the correct grip size. I had no problems handling the racquet. In fact I was playing even better with it than the Radicals. As I posted before, my medical problems and my playing style in general doesn't allow me to play with a racquet stiffer than 62. Even with 18 mains, 18g NG would only last me a set or 2 at best. Last 2 weeks I didn't get to play much tennis because of the ugly weather we have been having but I still managed to break 1 set of 17g NG and 1 set of 17g Kirschbaum.
I am going to wise up and stick with what I have at the moment. The LM radicals and the Yonex Tour-5 both allow me to play pain free for now.

Here we go again: The LM prestige MP is 64, how can you play with it pain free if your arm does not allow you to play with anything stiffer than 62?!?!?! Hmmmm the PT280 is 56, do I sense a change soon!?!

Thanks for reminding me why I stopped posting here before

Hey Fora, stop! come back here, I was just kidding, :mrgreen:

TW Staff
07-23-2004, 11:37 AM
Lighten up boys... man, you two certainly do bring out the worst in each other...:roll: This thread started out civil but has definitely deteriorated. Stop the downhill slide so we aren't forced to nuke it. Don/Tennis Warehouse

dennis1188
07-23-2004, 11:42 AM
deleted by author.

Bora
07-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Thanks for your concern for my health. Luckily, with the LM Prestige MP being lower powered, I can string NG mains lower and play pain free compared to the Tour 10 MP, where I was having to string NG at 65.

Just for general educational purposes:
RA (stiffness) number is only an indication of stiffness in one spot on the racquet body, people shouldn't take that number as a holy grail. In fact I had arm pain with a borrowed Tour 10 Mid strung at 60 a few weeks ago. I didn't have my LM Prestiges that day.

I imagine Don will now take this thread down. Not that I care at this point. Some things just don't change with you or this board. Pity, since I have learned so much here over the course of last 3-4 years. But, then I wouldn't be the first person to get frustrated and leave.

Bora wrote:
Thanks for reminding me why I stopped posting here before

As a last note, I would still like to thank Don and TW for hosting and maintaining these boards. I tried to give you guys my business in appreciation.

PrestigeClassic
07-23-2004, 11:48 AM
This thread almost needed a sticker Made in Tennis Sanctum, finished in Hell. :wink:

Pro_Tour_630
07-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Lighten up boys...
Sorry Don, just a couple of “stubborn pride” Turks butting heads.
:cry:

strife726
07-23-2004, 09:07 PM
TW staff, Are all LM pres now made in the Czech Republic? Does TW still sell any of the Austria made ones?

Pro_Tour_630
07-24-2004, 03:48 AM
strife, there were none made in Austria, all were assembled in CZ, even the ones with the tinny sticker on the butt cap that say made in Austria

Head's Ceske Budejovice tennis racquet plant, employs 292 people and turns out 650,000 racquets a year. The new plant will make skis and will join Head's existing tennis racquet factory -- where Andre Agassi's racquets are specially made -- next door.

Hey if Agass’s racquets are Made in Czech Republic and are good enough for him then they are good enough for us all, right

http://www.praguepost.cz/busi050901d.html

strife726
07-26-2004, 01:01 PM
so the ones that say "Made in Austria" are the same as the "made in CZ"?

Is TW staff still reading this? Does TW have any "made in Austria" LM pres left, or are all the new sticks now made in CZ?

monologuist
11-22-2004, 03:27 PM
Bora,

you still looking to unload your Yonex Mp Tour-5? if you are, hit me up with details on size, string, condition ets. at:

howelin@aol.com

BLiND
11-23-2004, 03:18 AM
I bought LM Prestige Mid about a month ago... made in Austria said the sticker.

b.
11-23-2004, 09:43 AM
On my LM Prestige there is sticker that says "Made in Austria".

Whatever - if they are made in A, and finished in CZ, I don't think assembling can be source of 10 grams+ differences.

By the way, I think that CZ is country with good craftsmanship history, despite being "ex-communist"

I had CZ photography enlarging apparatus, everything was basic, but excellent in quality. An now - "Skodas", Volkswagen relative - very good build quality, too.

(I'm not from CZ, nor do I have any connection to it)