PDA

View Full Version : Why in the world would they make Henman play again so soon?

BreakPoint
06-28-2006, 08:03 AM
I'm very surprised that the Wimbledon organizers would make Henman play his next round match against Federer so soon, since they both just played yesterday. Yes, I know that Monday was a rainout, but I don't think it would be a big deal to put their 2nd round match on tomorrow, as they will still be playing the 2nd round matches tomorrow anyway. I mean Henman had to play a long 5 set match yesterday that went like 3.5 hours, whereas, Federer spent, I think, less than a hour on court yesterday to complete his match. Don't they want to give Henman, their hometown hero, the best possible chance to win against obviously the toughest opponent in the draw by giving Tim a day of rest in between?

This scheduling has me a bit dumbfounded. You know that if this was the US Open, and it was the same situation, they would be giving Roddick an extra day of rest.

What's your opinion?

HyperHorse
06-28-2006, 08:05 AM
Well MAYBE Tim is fit enough to play 2 days in a row.. maybe they asked him before hand?
maybe he wants to play again to keep the good form going....
maybe he isnt as weak as u think he is...
and its not like he's playing first up...
Henman V Federer is the last match on centre court.... im sure he'll get a day off if he manages to win... should be a hell of a match..

malakas
06-28-2006, 08:06 AM
Wimby is trying to prove that it is more objective.That,and because they have already given any hope for Henman winning anyway!;)

HyperHorse
06-28-2006, 08:08 AM
Wimby is trying to prove that it is more objective.That,and because they have already given any hope for Henman winning anyway!;)

you dont know that... give it up with your presumptious crap...
do you even PLAY TENNIS?
i havent seen u post ONCE in the equipment or Instruction/Tips section....
you're just a shameless Nadal cheergirl.
what racquet do u use?

dubsplayer
06-28-2006, 08:12 AM
I'm very surprised that the Wimbledon organizers would make Henman play his next round match against Federer so soon, since they both just played yesterday. Yes, I know that Monday was a rainout, but I don't think it would be a big deal to put their 2nd round match on tomorrow, as they will still be playing the 2nd round matches tomorrow anyway. I mean Henman had to play a long 5 set match yesterday that went like 3.5 hours, whereas, Federer spent, I think, less than a hour on court yesterday to complete his match. Don't they want to give Henman, their hometown hero, the best possible chance to win against obviously the toughest opponent in the draw by giving Tim a day of rest in between?

This scheduling has me a bit dumbfounded. You know that if this was the US Open, and it was the same situation, they would be giving Roddick an extra day of rest.

What's your opinion?

They have no choice. The whole top of the men's draw is playing today. They can't make an exception just for Timmay. Can you imagine the screaming and hollering from the other players in that half of the draw. And if for some reason they could (which they can't) the winner of that match would have to play on consecutive days Thursday and Friday. This is Roger's third consecutive day of play. I don't hear him complaining, either.

cabernetjunkie
06-28-2006, 08:12 AM

What's your opinion?

I agree with you 100%. I could not believe it when I heard he had to play today. Everyone knows Wimby would love to have one of their own go all the way, this is not the way to do it. You are also right about the US open, Roddick would have gotten that extra day.

malakas
06-28-2006, 08:14 AM
you dont know that... give it up with your presumptious crap...
do you even PLAY TENNIS?
i havent seen u post ONCE in the equipment or Instruction/Tips section....
you're just a shameless Nadal cheergirl.
what racquet do u use?

Yes,I play tennis.BUT rarely WITHOUT that being my fault.
I am a beginner and I don't have anything to offer in that section because I don't know much about rackets that's why I ONLY read and LEARN!!
I use a Yonex Ultimum Ti 200 that my former tennis teacher advised me to buy.
Instead of doing personal attacks and calling my posts crap,give your own advise and socialize to only your elitistic tennis expert friends.

I say what I think but..quess what??SO DOES EVERYONE HERE!!!:rolleyes:

armand
06-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Bp, it's already been established that for whatever reason, The All England Lawn+Tennis Association hates Tim Henman. Look, they renamed Henman Hill to Mt. Murray, they took the air out of the balls and changed the surface to kill the serve+volley game, and they've made him play Federer in the 2nd round! He's playing 2 days in a row after a 3.5 hr 5 setter? That's just more evidence.

What more do you need Bp, a flashing neon sign that says "We, The All England Lawn+Tennis Association, hate Tim Henman!"? Open your eyes, man!

malakas
06-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Ah..by the way I am not a Nadal cheer girl!!But you seem that you are a nadal hater by your previous post..:rolleyes:

Eviscerator
06-28-2006, 08:16 AM

What's your opinion?

I understand your point of view, but they cannot be in the habit of playing favorites. Federer was off the court quickly because he quickly dispatched his opponent ,where as Henman struggled and took 5 sets to win. Both of them were in control of their own destiny's in that respect.

Tennis_Monk
06-28-2006, 06:23 PM
No body hates Henman. At the same time they do no favours for Henman either. Fact is what did Henman actually do to Tennis in England?.

In general from what i read frm BBC, there is a lot of self praise when it comes to players like Henman, Rusedski. If you look in the post match interviews they say "Being British No:1". I dont know if it matters but what good is any <<pick any country name>> number 1 if he ultimately ends up in bottom cellar of world's Tennis rankings?

Henman played badly and paid the price for it. So did Rusedski. I downloaded that game and expected some fireworks with two big servers. Instead its Marat all over !!

psp2
06-28-2006, 08:03 PM

this is one of the most asinine thing i've read on this board.

malakas
06-29-2006, 03:22 AM
Then that proves that you don't read many posts in this forum.

psp2
06-29-2006, 07:43 AM
Then that proves that you don't read many posts in this forum.

perhaps, but it doesn't change the fact that the above post is utterly stupid.