PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on PS Rok

!<-_->!
07-10-2004, 09:14 PM
I would greatly appreciate any feedback about the PS Rok. I currently play with a HPS 6.1. I'm somewhat of an all courter, serve being my weakest shot. I like to play net if I get the chance, or sometimes move in stupidly. My stokes are decent and so is the rest of my game. So I would like to hear some feedback about the Rok since they seem to be really cheap right now.

Thanks

Coda
07-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Excellent feel, excellent control...classic prostaff characteristics, it isn't as stiff as other prostaffs. The only thing that wasn't really there was spin. It was easy to generate but not a spin doctor. Very easy to manuever as well yet very solid.

NLBwell
07-10-2004, 09:42 PM
I really liked the ROK when I demo'ed it. It felt great to me - far better than any current Wilsons. It's a little lighter than I normally use, and I worry about getting enough spin on the ball to keep it in (I wouldn't worry if I was at sea level). I thought it was better than any Prestige ( which it is comparable to).

raven5288
07-10-2004, 09:46 PM
I liked it, but there wasn't much power on my serve. Other than that, it was pretty good.

Coda
07-10-2004, 09:50 PM
NLBwell says that the ROK is better than any prestige...he would be correct.

aceindahole2K5
07-10-2004, 10:06 PM
i play a ROK for right now 16 y/o all court 4.5er, 10G of lead under grip, klip blast 17 at 51 pounds, its a decent set up, a bit unstable with the added lead, but i found it nessecarry for my s/v game, its not the greatest frame for an all court or s/v game, but if you like to swing from the baseline, and can bring the goods, give it a test

bcaz
07-11-2004, 12:44 AM
I have a ROK I hit with occasionally and it's a nice racquet. Good flex and feel, great directional control, excellent volleys, limited spin, good serves. It is unequivocally the lowest-powered racquet I've ever hit hit. I understand the Yonex Ti-70 88 will give it a run for its money, though. It's tough to keep the ball deep with the ROK without really taking a big, fast cut at the ball.

Flatspin
07-11-2004, 05:51 AM
The Rok is a decent playing frame. I consider it a Pretige wanna-be, however it falls very short of the "classic" head frames.

b.
07-11-2004, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't like to spread blasphemy here, but I have found LM Prestige Mid to be on the very edge of extremely overpowered racquet category
The feel is OK, but what I really would like to do with LM Prestige is to somehow remove weight from tip of the frame. Changing balance to more HL with lead in handle can not compensate.

El Diablo
07-11-2004, 04:56 PM
I'm trying to figure out why "b." above me is going on about the Prestige...didn't you ask about the Rok? Spent a few days at a resort hitting with the Rok...most comfortable Wilson short of a Triad in my experience, lots of directional control, depth control a little harder. Not enough topspin potential to please me.

!<-_->!
07-11-2004, 05:54 PM
Thank you for all your feedback. Greatly appreciated. I too, do not understand why "b." talked about the Prestige. Oh well, going to give him benefit of the doubt that he clicked wrong topic. Anyways, how would you compare it to the HPS 6.1. I currently use that with 16 inches of lead split at 3 and 9. How would that compare if I were to do that with the Rok. Basically, how does the Rok compare with the HPS 6.1

Thanks

Coda
07-11-2004, 06:24 PM
These two rackets are kinda far apart in terms of characteristics. The ROK is noticeably lighter and flexier and so doesn't have as much stability as the HPS 6.1. The manueverablity I thought was almost the same with the nod towards the ROK. The ROK has far less power, but far greater control over the HPS. Touch and feel also goes greatly towards the ROK. Stroke wise, the HPS beats the ROK with serves and groundstrokes and the ROK over the HPS with vollies. The HPS produces alot of power and spin with the serve/groundstrokes and this isn't there with the ROK. The ROK has more control, but in my opinion isn't enough to better the HPS in the serving/ground category. The ROK has tons of touch and feel and this greatly helps at massaging the ball for great vollys. This is the area where the ROK's control and feel creates a better volley stick than the HPS. Overall, I would take the HPS. There is a lack of touch with the HPS, but not enough in my opinion to make the ROK better.

wally
07-11-2004, 06:34 PM
Here's my $.02

The ROK I have added lead 6g split at 3&amp;9 and 6g on the handle. Without the lead I thought it was too light/whippy and not stable enough at net, but I liked the original balance of the stock frame. I S/V chip charge when possible so I need stability and control at net. I don't have a problem generating spin but you'll need to use 17g or 18g string in this racquet. The tight pattern will help lengthen your string life. I prefer multifilament strings in this stick vs polys. If you can bring your own power this racquet will provide all the touch and feel you can handle.

The HPS 6.1 This racquet for me is a club. It plows through the ball and anything else in its path. Never felt the need to add lead. I just string it around 60lbs and blast away. Almost as much power as my HPS 5.0 but a bit more flexible and a bit more feel.

For me the ROK is a scapel and the HPS 6.1 is a machete or bowie knife. Both can be used to cut your opponent apart The scapel just does it a little cleaner but is more demanding to use. My strokes and volleys have gotten better because I have to concentrate more when using the ROK.

Coda
07-11-2004, 06:39 PM
For me the ROK is a scapel and the HPS 6.1 is a machete or bowie knife. Both can be used to cut your opponent apart The scapel just does it a little cleaner but is more demanding to use.

I completely agree...and that was a funny comparison![/quote]

LordRaceR
07-11-2004, 06:48 PM
ROK is just Wilson version (or copy) of Head Prestige line, and the original is better.

b.
07-12-2004, 04:26 PM
El Diablo,

I'm talking (briefly, and easy to ignore, if not interested!) about Prestige because it was compared to ROK.

In reviews ROK is stated to be LOW powered, and I wanted to point out that LM Prestige is not low powered, even if both of them belong to "player's" category.

Thank you for understanding (?)!

prince
07-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Rok has
-kick A#@ control on groundstrokes
-low power but all your shots will fall in if you are a hard
hitter,
-volleys are not bad but could be better
-serves are average
-spin - you have to work hard on it.

gokou703
07-13-2004, 12:48 AM
i don't really like the extremely dense string pattern. it's the most strings i've ever seen on a mid sized head. it's powerlevel is extemely low. much lower than the POG and the other prostaffs. I don't like it much i have 4 of them in my closet i'm trying to get rid of.

brijoel
07-13-2004, 01:31 AM
i don't really like the extremely dense string pattern. it's the most strings i've ever seen on a mid sized head. it's powerlevel is extemely low. much lower than the POG and the other prostaffs. I don't like it much i have 4 of them in my closet i'm trying to get rid of.

you should see a yonex rd ti 70 (my upcoming new stick i think) then. or even take a look at an old wood racquet. :shock: the old woods will really make you appreciate today's sticks.

gokou703
07-13-2004, 01:35 PM

you should see a yonex rd ti 70 (my upcoming new stick i think) then. or even take a look at an old wood racquet. :shock: the old woods will really make you appreciate today's sticks.

yeah i know. i just saw a couple of old metal and wood rackets and my friend's house last night. i correct myself those are the most dense string patterns i have ever seen. i still think the rok is too dense though...haha...

rooski
07-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Check out the Prince NXG mid (not MP) for the tightest looking string pattern on the market TODAY. I use an i Prestige so I know tight patterns. The NXG mid looks like it is a 22 x 26 pattern. You couldn't even get a pencil into one of the center squares. Has anybody else looked at this thing??

!<-_->!
07-13-2004, 05:30 PM
gokou703, how much would you sell the Roks for?

aceindahole2K5
07-13-2004, 05:40 PM
rooski......it also flexes like a mother, and feels great..........if it werent for the balance being too close to even....id hit it

gokou703
07-14-2004, 09:29 PM
i knoe this is the wrong forum to be selling rackets but since you asked. i'll send all 4 of them for 150 if want them. email me at gokou703@cs.com if you want any more feedback rookie.

gokou703
07-14-2004, 09:30 PM
haha sorry for calling you rookie...just email me there if you want them...