PDA

View Full Version : Agassi Key points vs. Nadal

BaseLineBash
06-28-2006, 12:44 PM
On Agassi's serve Nadal will give him relatively short returns, Agassi needs to do something with them, and not hit them back at him, keep the ball away from Nadal. Nadal really likes to open up the court with extreme cross-court forehands and backhands, Agassi needs to be on the baseline and/or inside the baseline to cut off those angles(like he won't do that anyway;) ) as Nadal will play 3 to 5 feet maybe more behind the baseline. Agassi will need to serve like he did in his first round match starting from the second set, out wide on both sides of the court to keep the punishment consistent and the pressure on Nadal. Rest In Punishment.

Rataplan
06-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Both have yet to get through the next round and neither of the matches is a given IMO.

Seppi is not a clown on grass IMO and quite a few people (JMac and B. Gilbert for starters) have suggested that Kendrick has the weapons to beat Nadal on grass.

sureshs
06-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Agassi isn't moving well these days.

Tchocky
06-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Brad Gilbert is picking Robert Kendrick to beat Nadal even though the moneyline on Kendrick is +973. I hope Kendrick doesn't spoil the party. Andreas Seppi might have something to say about this as well. Should be interesting to see what the oddsmakers have Agassi & Nadal at.

fastdunn
06-28-2006, 01:25 PM
yep, it's not yet clear if they can meet.
Never saw Kendrick but appears to be tall powerful player....

BabolatFan
06-28-2006, 01:44 PM
On Agassi's serve Nadal will give him relatively short returns, Agassi needs to do something with them, and not hit them back at him, keep the ball away from Nadal. Nadal really likes to open up the court with extreme cross-court forehands and backhands, Agassi needs to be on the baseline and/or inside the baseline to cut off those angles(like he won't do that anyway;) ) as Nadal will play 3 to 5 feet maybe more behind the baseline. Agassi will need to serve like he did in his first round match starting from the second set, out wide on both sides of the court to keep the punishment consistent and the pressure on Nadal. Rest In Punishment.
Yeah I agree on the tactics. Agassi's serving was quite impressive with 17 nice aces. Agassi will also take advantage of Nadal's second serves and step inside...1-2 punch. Djokovic did rather well against Nadal at RG when he hit extreme angle forehand crosscourt heavy balls to open up the court. Agassi already has a better, deeper, heavier forehand on grass. He just needs to move a bit quicker.

The tennis guy
06-28-2006, 01:50 PM
yep, it's not yet clear if they can meet.
Never saw Kendrick but appears to be tall powerful player....

Saw Kendrick play at team tennis the last couple of years, very good serve and powerful ground stroke, not very good at net. I wondered why he is such underachiever on ATP.

The tennis guy
06-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Brad Gilbert is picking Robert Kendrick to beat Nadal even though the moneyline on Kendrick is +973. I hope Kendrick doesn't spoil the party. Andreas Seppi might have something to say about this as well. Should be interesting to see what the oddsmakers have Agassi & Nadal at.

Brad Gilbert finally comes to his sense. Last year after Nadal won Montreal, Gilbert claimed Nadal would be a big threat at US Open. Now it seems he starts to realize at least at the moment the limitation of Nadal's game on fast low bounce court.

fastdunn
06-28-2006, 03:11 PM
There's just big uncertainty between Nadal and grass simply
because he has not played on grass much.
As Nadal said by himself, he does not have much
preparation on grass this year.
He did not look comfortable moving on grass in his
1st round match...

splink779
06-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Nadal will simply make Agassi move too much. I know its grass and topspin is obviously less effective but dont forget - his huge topspin still lets him create big angles.

TennezSport
06-28-2006, 04:03 PM
There's just big uncertainty between Nadal and grass simply
because he has not played on grass much.
As Nadal said by himself, he does not have much
preparation on grass this year.
He did not look comfortable moving on grass in his
1st round match...

Nadal may always have problems with grass due to the extreme grips he uses. While he may improve, he will always have trouble with players with strong flat or slicing shots on fast surfaces. Unless he makes significant changes to his grips (don't think he will), it will always be a weakness. He may overcome it while he is young but as he gets older it will only get harder due to the physical requirements of his game.

Should be fun to watch him try though.

TS :cool:

dh003i
06-28-2006, 04:13 PM
please...I don't care if Agassi's 50 years old. He's a Wimbledon champ. He'll easily handle Nadal.

shawn1122
06-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Nadal will simply make Agassi move too much. I know its grass and topspin is obviously less effective but dont forget - his huge topspin still lets him create big angles.
The air is thinner in London (higher altitude above sea level), so the ball will still fly out.

bluescreen
06-28-2006, 05:13 PM
and because of nadal's extreme grip he'll be sure to hit a good number of mishits, making the ball flying in the stands. we've already seen this in his first match. besides, agassi's gonna crush that weenie serve of nadal's.

sureshs
06-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Nadal will win

BaseLineBash
06-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Nadal will win
No period? Let me help finish your statement.
"Nadal will win...a thrashing from Andre." Yeah,that sounds better now that it's complete.;)

sureshs
06-28-2006, 05:37 PM
"Nadal will win...a thrashing from Andre." Yeah,that sounds better now that it's complete.;)

Good one.

bluescreen
06-28-2006, 06:01 PM
nice one, baselinebash.

Matthew
06-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Nadal will win - Nadal loves the angles, Agassi loves to run his opponent around (giving them angles). Put Agassi on the run and he is toast. Nadal in straights.

BaseLineBash
06-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Nadal will win - Nadal loves the angles, Agassi loves to run his opponent around (giving them angles). Put Agassi on the run and he is toast. Nadal in straights.
I sure hope not, the more Andre wins the more dangerous and confident he becomes.

BabolatFan
06-28-2006, 07:19 PM
and because of nadal's extreme grip he'll be sure to hit a good number of mishits, making the ball flying in the stands. we've already seen this in his first match. besides, agassi's gonna crush that weenie serve of nadal's.

LoL. Yeah It's really weak. His 2nd serve is around 88mph.

omniexist
06-28-2006, 08:27 PM
I might be wrong, but I'm picking Nadal.

The court is just too slow nowadays to help Agassi. Also not sure if Agassi can "rip the return" as so many people here are saying. Nadal puts just enough spin and angle to make that hard to do.

Nadal in 4.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Andre will pounce on topspin monkeys weak serve, so he should prevail with his steady groundstrokes and return of serve. Double A in 4.

superman1
06-28-2006, 08:50 PM
It all depends on Agassi's accuracy. He's hitting the ball with as much power as he ever has, it's the type of ball that would kill Nadal. Nadal isn't good enough to take charge of those rallies and put Agassi on the run. But if Nadal is running everything down and returning everything and Agassi starts getting nervous and going for too much, he could get into trouble.

scotus
06-28-2006, 08:51 PM
If the two meet, I would love to see Andre win.

But if he plays the way he did in the first round, there is no way he can beat Nadal. Hopefully the second-round match will give Andre's game the much-needed tune-up.

BaseLineBash
06-28-2006, 09:16 PM
If the two meet, I would love to see Andre win.

But if he plays the way he did in the first round, there is no way he can beat Nadal. Hopefully the second-round match will give Andre's game the much-needed tune-up.
I thought he was on mark for the most part after the first set, but I'll agree the standard will have to be higher.

dewey2110
06-28-2006, 10:42 PM
I think Agassi is a legendary player and totally respect him but I dont think he has any chance playing against Nadal...he's not moving fast enough.

HyperHorse
06-28-2006, 10:47 PM
hmmm KENDRICK TO BEAT NADAL!!!!
might put some $$$ on that... hahahahaha

HollerOne5
06-28-2006, 11:15 PM
What a joke? Are they just trying to be entertaining or be the ones to call the big upset, because just a few days ago Brad Gilbert said he thought Nadal would make the quarters.

Shabazza
06-29-2006, 04:19 AM
What a joke? Are they just trying to be entertaining or be the ones to call the big upset, because just a few days ago Brad Gilbert said he thought Nadal would make the quarters.
Brad Gilbert is Brad Gilbert, he is the jinx personified!

HollerOne5
06-29-2006, 08:39 AM
Nadal is having trouble with the big serves with Kendrick, but with Agassi it will be a baseline battle....I like Nadal's chances.

BaseLineBash
06-29-2006, 08:55 AM
Both have yet to get through the next round and neither of the matches is a given IMO.

Seppi is not a clown on grass IMO and quite a few people (JMac and B. Gilbert for starters) have suggested that Kendrick has the weapons to beat Nadal on grass.
Well my friend, the time has come...Rest In Punishment.

Simon Cowell
06-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Agassi has no chance, I'm afraid.

sureshs
06-29-2006, 09:53 AM
Brad Gilbert is picking Robert Kendrick to beat Nadal even though the moneyline on Kendrick is +973.

Brad was willing Kendrick to win today but he didn't. Brad never played anyone of the likes of Federer and Nadal. They simply find a way to win, that is it.

VamosRafa
06-29-2006, 09:59 AM
Hope Brad picks Andre to win. ;-)

sureshs
06-29-2006, 10:02 AM

At least that is understandable.

But no, Agassi can't run well any more. And baseline to baseline, he is no match for Nadal. He has lost to him in Montreal already last year. He also doesn't have the kind of serve which will win him many free points.

Interesting to see how he reacts to Nadal's time-taking. He likes to hurry everything.

ChipNCharge
06-29-2006, 12:08 PM

Don't you want the American to win?

simi
06-29-2006, 12:24 PM
The air is thinner in London (higher altitude above sea level), so the ball will still fly out.

Huh??? London is only a few feet above mean sea level. Altitude has a less effect on the balls at Wimbledon than the changes in humidity does.

th41291
06-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Agassi over Nadal in 5. Nadal has been framing tons of serves. Haha, it's funny.

BaseLineBash
06-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Slam! duuh duuh duuh, duuh duuh duuh let the boys be boys!
C'mon Andre, thrash him!

BaseLineBash
06-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Keep up to date with The Punisher. The Wimby mini-site is up, http://www.agassiopen.com/

fastdunn
06-29-2006, 01:13 PM
But no, Agassi can't run well any more. And baseline to baseline, he is no match for Nadal. .

yep. that maybe the reality for Agassi.
Agassi will have to try to end point quickly.

The tennis guy
06-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Agassi has a decent shot. On grass, the spinners don't bother him that much because he can stay on or inside baseline. Seppi type flat stroker actaully bothers him more because they hit deep.

Agassi moved OK today. The key for Agassi is taking the ball early, hits flat, take the time away from Nadal. Nadal has big swing, he was only able to flat out his shot today when Kendrick started to pop up those ball up high for him to hit.

BaseLineBash
06-29-2006, 08:38 PM
Agassi has a decent shot. On grass, the spinners don't bother him that much because he can stay on or inside baseline. Seppi type flat stroker actaully bothers him more because they hit deep.

Agassi moved OK today. The key for Agassi is taking the ball early, hits flat, take the time away from Nadal. Nadal has big swing, he was only able to flat out his shot today when Kendrick started to pop up those ball up high for him to hit.
I also think Agassi will have to dig back to '86-'95 and be VERY offensive, find a range early and let that damn ball rip!

sureshs
07-01-2006, 12:28 PM

Care to take back your words?

BaseLineBash
07-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Care to take back your words?
Get bent "Sushi".:mad: ;)