PDA

View Full Version : Why are non white outfits banned at wimbledon.

Exia
06-28-2006, 01:04 PM
everyone looks like prison inmates.

malakas
06-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Don't prison inmates have black stripes too??:mrgreen:

Exia
06-28-2006, 01:09 PM
Don't prison inmates have black stripes too??:mrgreen:

look the same=white

use your brain Einstein

psp2
06-28-2006, 01:10 PM
a Wimby tradition.

malakas
06-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Well..sorry!!When I read white I understand white colour!!
I don't know every single english expression you know!

KBalla08
06-28-2006, 01:12 PM
a Wimby tradition.
ya that is ur answer

Dan007
06-28-2006, 01:15 PM
look the same=white

use your brain Einstein

They don't look the same. Prison inmates have thick black stipes going through their shirt and pants, while at wimbledon, players where shirts and pants with actuall design with some colors other than white on them, but the overall color is white. Are you color blind to black?

Exia
06-28-2006, 01:17 PM
it is funny that the logos have to be up to a maximum of 4sq inch or something

Adidas, the German manufacturer, took on the tennis authorities in a different court — the High Court in London — this month and won a temporary ruling allowing its three-striped logo to appear on players’ clothing at the tournament. Wimbledon wanted to limit the size of branding to 4 sq in.

textbook strokes
06-28-2006, 01:23 PM
How old are you?. Maybe you are not old enough to remember, but back in the beginnings white was the only colour allowed in a tennis court. Then came the short pants, and just by the 70s, I think, they allowed certain soft colours. Wimbledon nevertheleast, as many british traditions, never changed, and they demand a player to keep white as a dominant colour in his/her clothes :rolleyes:

Court_Jester
06-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Andre Agassi tried to shake things up at Wimbledon with his outrageous outfits but in the end, he realized the importance and magnitude of the tournament's traditions and he relented.

Exia
06-28-2006, 01:29 PM
How old are you?. Maybe you are not old enough to remember, but back in the beginnings white was the only colour allowed in a tennis court. Then came the short pants, and just by the 70s, I think, they allowed certain soft colours. Wimbledon nevertheleast, as many british traditions, never changed, and they demand a player to keep white as a dominant colour in his/her clothes :rolleyes:

because wimbledon is stuck up its own backside. Preferring to stick to the dark ages regarding the dress sense.

wimbledon will always be a upper class venue for the privileged oxford graduates.

he Sunday Times June 25, 2006

Out! Wimbledon to ban tennis teases
Maurice Chittenden
WIMBLEDON has served an early warning to the world’s tennis stars: step across the line on the tournament’s strict dress code and you will be sent packing.

For more than a century Wimbledon has fiercely guarded the genteel reputation that today sets it apart from other tournaments. Officials there want spectators to keep their eye on the ball, not on the increasingly revealing outfits that have caused controversy elsewhere.

what next olympic swimming in a wedding dress

But the low-cut tops showing lots of cleavage, favoured by Maria Sharapova and Maria Kirilenko, are likely to be banned, as are loose- fitting outfits such as the one Sharapova wore at this year’s Australian Open which billowed up to reveal her underwear.

They don't ban the 105Db orgasmic grunts and shrieks do they????

textbook strokes
06-28-2006, 02:05 PM
It's not that bad to keep a tradition Imho. Clothes manufacturers can sell us all kind of other stuff during the rest of the year ;) .

simi
06-28-2006, 02:19 PM
I was somewhat surpirsed to see Rafael wearing his signature cut-off sleeve T-shirt. Thought it would be banned. Works in colors, but looks weird in white.

Some traditions are good. Gives us roots and stability. All of us need that from time to time.

MTChong
06-28-2006, 03:29 PM
I don't mind it; I like it actually.

sureshs
06-28-2006, 04:01 PM
It is difficult to distinguish the players when they are all wearing white. That is why soccer teams have differently colored jerseys.

I am afraid I might confuse Nadal and Federer if they meet.

Or Sharapova and Mauresmo.

c_zimma
06-28-2006, 04:50 PM
because wimbledon is stuck up its own backside. Preferring to stick to the dark ages regarding the dress sense.

wimbledon will always be a upper class venue for the privileged oxford graduates.

Like already said, it's a tradition. It is an honor to play at Wimbledon, and it's not just for the "privileged Oxford graduates." Anyone can play there. All they have to do is win. So I don't think it is fair to criticize one of the most prestige majors ever for the people who play there and the clothes they wear. Thats what I think.

framebreaker
06-28-2006, 04:51 PM
deleted
deleted

sureshs
06-28-2006, 04:57 PM
If Wimbledon is truly heritage-conscious, they should require players to use small-headed wooden racquets strung with natural gut. Everything else is of no consequence to the game.

c_zimma
06-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Yes, but it is a request. The level of play would be horrible if wood racquets were used. Wimbledon is just trying to keep some tradition alive. I am suprised they haven't installed the roof yet.

slice bh compliment
06-28-2006, 05:04 PM

Hhahahahah, just get some glasses, brother ... and watch for skin color, backhands and body-type.

malakas
06-28-2006, 05:17 PM
Yes, but it is a request. The level of play would be horrible if wood racquets were used. Wimbledon is just trying to keep some tradition alive. I am suprised they haven't installed the roof yet.

They are working on it.Till 2009 they will be working on it!Not even Wumbley didn't take so much time!!:rolleyes:

skip1969
06-28-2006, 05:20 PM
nominated for silliest thread of the fortnight.

schools have uniforms. tennis clubs all over the world have dress codes. you wear certain clothes to church, to work, to funerals, parties, weddings . . . so, what's the big friggin deal. lame excuse to bash traditions that are older than all of us.

wearing white for two weeks of the year won't kill anyone. if you have trouble distinguishing between two players wearing white, then you probably shouldn't be watching tennis anyway, as that little yellow tennis ball zooming over the net at 100 miles an hour is a whole hell of a lot smaller.

malakas
06-28-2006, 05:22 PM
hahaha!:DEvery other thread you visit you nominate it for silliest thread of the forthnight!!;)
Well...I suppose that says something about the quality of the threads..in the last forthnight..:(

skip1969
06-28-2006, 05:26 PM
hahaha!:DEvery other thread you visit you nominate it for silliest thread of the forthnight!!;)
Well...I suppose that says something about the quality of the threads..in the last forthnight..:(
exactly! lol

sureshs
06-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Hhahahahah, just get some glasses, brother ... and watch for skin color, backhands and body-type.

I might still confuse Mauresmo with Federer

diegaa
06-28-2006, 05:59 PM
I really like the fact that the players dress differently from their usual outfits.
I dont mind this tradition at all. I like it.

slice bh compliment
06-29-2006, 01:00 AM
I might still confuse Mauresmo with Federer

hahhahaah, good one, s.

Galactus
06-29-2006, 03:14 AM
All white shirts, shorts and socks: always worn by 'The G.O.A.T' at all tournaments.
'Nuff said.

Docalex007
06-29-2006, 03:29 AM

You are crazy. The all-white look looks amazing. It also gives this "everyone's equal" feel.

spaceman_spiff
06-29-2006, 03:57 AM
The thing to remember about Wimbledon is that it is held at a private club (one that happens to cost a huge amount to be a member of), unlike the other majors, like the US Open, which is held at a ground that the public can play at for a small price when not in use for tournaments. Since it is a private club, they can basically set whatever dresscode they like. So, if they wanted to require that all players where all pink shirts and brown shorts, they could. However, since it is a very posh club with a tradition of all white clothing, which in the old days was a sign of aristocracy (because the working class didn't have the time or money to keep all white clothing clean), they have decided to keep the tradition.

Fred The Red
06-29-2006, 04:03 AM
from wimbledon.org

Can I play on the Club's courts?
The courts are not open to the general public. Apart from the Centre and No. 1 Courts, the courts are used year round by the Club members and LTA sponsored players. The grass courts are in play from May to September, except Centre Court and No. 1 Court which are used only for The Championships. The courts are occasionally used by a number of clubs and organisations, for the staging of various events and tournaments.

How can I become a member of the All England Club?
In order to become a Candidate for Membership of The All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club, an applicant would need to know four existing Full Members of the Club who would be willing to support the application and write letters to that effect. The Proposer and Seconder must be able to certify that they have known the applicant personally for at least 3 years. The four Members would then need to sign the proposal form and, as soon as all these formalities have been completed, the name would then be added to the Candidates' List. It is then a matter of being very patient. This procedure applies for both Full and Temporary Membership categories. Honorary Members are elected from time to time by the Committee.

Caswell
06-29-2006, 04:09 AM
The reason behind the all-white outfits was that white doesn't show perspiration as much as other colors do. Tennis was a game born of polite society, and in polite society it wasn't fashionable to be seen sweating.

Nowadays it's tradition. Given the abysmal fashion sense of most professional tennis players, I wish every place had a similar dress code. We laugh at Agassi's early 90's "rebel" look, and in ten years we'll be laughing at Nadal's capri pants.

Return_Ace
06-29-2006, 08:35 AM
Since it is a private club, they can basically set whatever dresscode they like. So, if they wanted to require that all players where all pink shirts and brown shorts, they could

ahahaha lol!

Tchocky
06-29-2006, 08:44 AM
Is this your 1st Wimbledon? It's tradition.

framebreaker
06-29-2006, 10:37 AM
my dear conformists. yes, always smile embarrassed, nod and do as you ar:D :D :confused: e told

d_frank
06-29-2006, 02:08 PM
from wimbledon.org

How can I become a member of the All England Club?
In order to become a Candidate for Membership of The All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club, an applicant would need to know four existing Full Members of the Club who would be willing to support the application and write letters to that effect. The Proposer and Seconder must be able to certify that they have known the applicant personally for at least 3 years. The four Members would then need to sign the proposal form and, as soon as all these formalities have been completed, the name would then be added to the Candidates' List. It is then a matter of being very patient. This procedure applies for both Full and Temporary Membership categories. Honorary Members are elected from time to time by the Committee.
Holy christ. Thats insane. Add on a huge price tag to that, and you figure you pretty much have no chance of getting in :p

emcee
06-29-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm surprised you guys think prison inmates still wear black-and-white uniforms. I've seen khaki, orange, and blue I think...

brucie
06-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Yeah but they even dress up the line judges special!

It is the worlds greatest tourney aguably, so they have to do something special and keep in touch with the past!

slice bh compliment
06-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Yeah, the black and whites are mostly from old movies. Recently, I saw some news footage about some inmate in Ohio. His prison uses the B and W stripers. My wife was like, what is this the Keystone Cops? The Three Stooges?

More importantly, the Beastie Boys did a show or two about eight years ago wearing the jailbird lookin' orange jumpsuits.
I was waiting for Cochise to introduce Mr. T with a little, "Stay in school. Stay outta the joint, kids."

AAAA
06-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Holy christ. Thats insane. Add on a huge price tag to that, and you figure you pretty much have no chance of getting in :p

It is a rather exclusive private club.

quest01
06-29-2006, 04:34 PM
I think that rule is kind of dumb. It is a tradition and i respect that but, players should be allowed to wear whatever color they want at Wimbledon. The other aspect i dont like about Wimbledon which is a much greater problem then the dress code is not offering equal prize money.

AAAA
06-29-2006, 04:35 PM
I remember Sampras during the 90s used to wear baggy denim look Nike shorts in khaki and sometimes denim blue. Sweat on those shorts showed up as unpleasant looking dark patches around his groin and *** crack. It was impossible not to notice it when watching the match on TV. Not a pretty sight on any man anywhere hence the Wimbledon ruling of predominately white clothing.

slice bh compliment
06-29-2006, 05:08 PM

Anyone have confirmation on that price tag?
I do not personally know any dues-paying members, but from what I have always heard, it is actually affordable. Just very tough to get a membership.

Tennis_Goodness
06-29-2006, 07:56 PM
It's the Superbowl of tennis, the world cup of tennis.

Another poster that doesn't seem to know much about the sport.

hyperwarrior
06-30-2006, 12:05 AM
look the same=white

use your brain Einstein

he's not Einstein so he can't use his brain

jings
06-30-2006, 01:17 AM
You can always win the Championship, that gives you automatic membership.

Exia
07-01-2006, 04:13 PM
You can always win the Championship, that gives you automatic membership.

ok i will win it next year just for the membership(!!!!!!!)

adlis
02-05-2007, 09:49 PM
I have heard a story of one young member receiving an official letter of complaint about the all-white clothing rules. His crime? He had been playing doubles, and one of his friends, having forgotten his tennis socks, had been wearing a red pair.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/markhodgkinson/nov06/discriminationintennis.htm

Considering we have now entered the 21st century do you think the all white dress code at the English tournaments pretty outdated with players are now allowed to wear more exotic clothing such e.g sleeveless shirts and Capri pants plus those horrid camel toe short shorts of the 70s and 80s?

The 2006 Wimbledon players’ guide carries the new caution: “Any competitor who appears on court dressed in a manner which is deemed unsuitable by the committee will be liable to be defaulted.”

Does That mean they could default rafael nadal if he was (in theory!!)6-0 6-0 5-0 up against federer in the final for showing too much bicep?

I do not understand why a piece clothing should be banned based on its colour? If its because of etiquette and tradition then why allow sleeveless shirts,"clown pants" and oversize Adidas "3 stripes"? And The LTA is wondering why tennis has a image problem in the UK?!

OK by wimbledon standards
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1636/u1535p6t12d2332070f44dtfl6.jpg

NOT OK by wimbledon standards
http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/9039/u1752p6t12d2255551f44dtzt2.jpg

Seems to me the tournament organisers should shun the stuffy upper class elitist attitude, move into the 21st century and let the players play in their regular outfits.

p.s i do not read the SUN......honest!

This tradition is an anarchic bastion of the 19th century. The casual British television viewer only get to see queens/wimbledon.

I doubt many children will want to take up the sport if they the only representation of the sport is a if they only see a bunch of athletes wearing plain white outfits that sucks any individualism from the sport .

Tradition? That properly explains the 95% of the British pros went to boarding schools then. not to mention Britain's number 1 isn't one of them makes you wonder what the LTA does with the $92 million they have developing talent and promoting the sport??

Sadly In Britain the sport is still reserved as a upper class sport for the rich and the old, until the LTA grows a spine and puts pressure on wimbledon to at least make the ONLY competition NORAMAL children watch then the sport interesting and modern then British tennis as NO future apart from the blip in the radar that is scot warrior Andy Murray.

Nick Irons
02-05-2007, 10:32 PM
It's a fine tradition and if you think it's lame, then ya just don't get it.

adlis
02-05-2007, 10:51 PM

wooden rackets were tradition, same with trousers and polo necks look where they are now...

bertrevert
02-06-2007, 03:42 AM
They used to use white balls as well - must have been hard to see it.

It's not just what you see on TV. On all the outside courts are all the youngsters. Guess what, they're all in white as well. I can tell you'd really love that as well... nope?

As a tradition I don't believe it's meaningless, yet surely it's not that offensive. Over the years there's consistency to what you see. However what dates are the haircuts . Oh and the racquets and speed of play.

Maybe they'll jump ahead and put numbers on the players.

I imagine clothing manufacturers are really peed off with the all-white rule. You can merchandise a Beckham shirt because it's distinct. Can you do that with a white polo?

pound cat
02-06-2007, 03:50 AM
Up until 30 or 40 years ago every tennis player, pro or amateur wore all white on every tennis court . And had a white v-neck sweater with navy and maroon stripes. and all white tennis sneakers. And all of you would have done the same because that's what people did. It's called conforming to the standards of the place/time.

pound cat
02-06-2007, 03:52 AM

And they would never let you in the doors of Wimbledon, let alone on their courts.

Thud and blunder
02-06-2007, 04:29 AM
I agree with Adlis: the fact that you can wear an all-white clown outfit, but not a tasteful pastel country club ensemble essentially makes a mockery of the intent of the all-white rule.

Clearly, Roddick in his preppy pastels is miles closer to traditional tennis clobber than Nadal in his PJs...in this case, the law is an ***.

The Gorilla
02-06-2007, 04:31 AM
I think it looks good on grass

War, Safin!
02-06-2007, 05:05 AM

Seems to do well with it's claim of 'Most Prestigious Slam On The Tennis Calender' though.

Plus, 'The G.O.A.T' pretty much never wore anything else but white, at any tournament... ;)

Steve Huff
02-06-2007, 05:05 AM
Players can still be imaginative in wearing white. Does anyone have that picture of the woman wearing the white body suit some years ago (kind of as a protest to the all-white rule)?

alwaysatnet
02-06-2007, 09:34 AM
It's tradition and it's their show and they get to call the monky's dance. The woman in the body suit was Ann White(ironically).Actually I prefer the classic look and remember some of the God awful outfits Pat Rafter used to wear at the US Open including a turquoise Reebok design that looked like Timothy Leary threw up all over it. And Monfils and Nadal? They would be in fashion hell if I had my way.Actually they are,now that I think of it.

Nick Irons
02-06-2007, 09:37 AM
wooden rackets were tradition, same with trousers and polo necks look where they are now...

No

That was technology and style

adlis
02-06-2007, 09:52 AM
No

That was technology and style

isn't the dress code a style?

white uniforms originated from the pubic school upper class image of the sport in the 19th century. Amazingly(!) times have changed over 3 centuries and Sadly that model does not work where pros come from the poorest of the poor to the rich at every corner of the planet.

The sport of tennis has moved on from it elitist charade over the era's but Wimbledon continues to conform to the stiff upper lip English public schoolboy persona. WHY?
We have moved from predominantly grass too hard, wood to graphite, trousers to shorts, jumpers to vests so why are this wimbledon organises stuck in a time warp?

rocket
02-06-2007, 10:06 AM
The thing to remember about Wimbledon is that it is held at a private club (one that happens to cost a huge amount to be a member of), unlike the other majors, like the US Open, which is held at a ground that the public can play at for a small price when not in use for tournaments. Since it is a private club, they can basically set whatever dresscode they like. So, if they wanted to require that all players where all pink shirts and brown shorts, they could. However, since it is a very posh club with a tradition of all white clothing, which in the old days was a sign of aristocracy (because the working class didn't have the time or money to keep all white clothing clean), they have decided to keep the tradition.

Yep, Wimby is not the most prestigious tournament of all for nothing. The English are big on clubs, protocols & uniforms. Also, no advertising banners, other than the small Slazenger logos on the walls; no flood lights; the winner becomes an honorary member of the All-england Club, etc. Actually, I find the predominantly white quite a refreshing change from the myriad of colors worn elsewhere.

The sleeveless shirts on men caused quite a stir at the USO not so long ago I think (ask Tommy Haas). Talk about USO, Forest Hills, which used to host the US Open, still requires members to wear white on weekends.

Nick Irons
02-06-2007, 10:07 AM
It's one tourney a year that has this tradition. I don't know ....

(...)

rocket
02-06-2007, 10:09 AM
OK by wimbledon standards

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1636/u1535p6t12d2332070f44dtfl6.jpg

NOT OK by wimbledon standards
http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/9039/u1752p6t12d2255551f44dtzt2.jpg

Nadal looks pretty cool in his all white outfit IMO.

Swissv2
02-06-2007, 10:16 AM
playing devil's advocate - who BIG DEAL if you are required to wear white. Wimbledon is what...7 days? Anyone who babbles on and on about "let them wear whatever the he_ll they want" they have the ENTIRE FRIGGEN YEAR TO WEAR WHATEVER THE HE_LL THEY WANT...

so...give it a rest.

:)

adlis
02-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Nadal looks pretty cool in his all white outfit IMO.

that's exactly my point! They are both the same but one is Black and one is white. I don't understand why the black coloured one is disallowed in the 21st century.
if the ATP/WTA players could easily threaten to boycott the tournament and i guarantee this rule would change in a instant.

Swissv2
02-06-2007, 10:28 AM
that's exactly my point! They are both the same but one is Black and one is white. I don't understand why the black coloured one is disallowed in the 21st century.
if the ATP/WTA players could easily threaten to boycott the tournament and i guarantee this rule would change in a instant.

nah. Boycott over a simple rule that doesn't hurt your game at all? All Wimbledon would say is "don't like the rules, don't play the tournament". You must be a baby not to follow a simple rule in a game.

Nick Irons
02-06-2007, 10:29 AM
adlis

You're pouring a lot of energy down the drain on this one.

alienhamster
02-06-2007, 11:53 AM
It's inaccurate to claim that requisite white is about forced conformity or uniformity. Players at Wimbledon are actually given a lot of leeway in terms of the styles of shirts and shorts (e.g., bagginess vs. tightness), headwear, shoes, etc. Despite the identical color, I find it pretty easy to tell players apart. (And there are shades of white, folks.)

And aesthetically, I love the white vs. green constrast (with the grass). And the whiteness fits in nicely with the lack of corporate logos everywhere.

I'm glad they've kept this tradition. It's nice to have a unique look attached to different court surfaces.

Yours!05
02-06-2007, 12:00 PM
adlis

You're pouring a lot of energy down the drain on this one.Quite so my good man.

Thud and blunder
02-06-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm sure the clothing cos love it. After all, there are still plenty of clubs that are all-white, so this is a perfect platform for advertising their gear to those antediluvians.

Starlite
02-06-2007, 05:57 PM
It's tradition and it's their show and they get to call the monky's dance. The woman in the body suit was Ann White(ironically).Actually I prefer the classic look and remember some of the God awful outfits Pat Rafter used to wear at the US Open including a turquoise Reebok design that looked like Timothy Leary threw up all over it. And Monfils and Nadal? They would be in fashion hell if I had my way.Actually they are,now that I think of it.

http://www.tennismuseum.nl/images/annewhiteg.jpg

Haha, way to work around the rules!

adlis
02-06-2007, 08:00 PM
http://www.tennismuseum.nl/images/annewhiteg.jpg

Haha, way to work around the rules!

reason no 1 why the Brits are backward- white uniform only...

FiveO
02-07-2007, 04:38 AM
reason no 1 why the Brits are backward- white uniform only...

Backward? Tell me that you wouldn't want to have seen Steffi Graf, Anna Kournikova or some of today's female stars playing Wimbledon in that ^^^ kind of outfit. Well, as a healthy male, I would have.

In fact I play a local age group sectional Grass Court championship each year and the rule remains "predominantly white" tennis attire. Aside from tradition, if one lifts the restriction, some people will show up in cut-offs and whatever else. I also think that at least an element of it goes to the thought that "all competitors come in equal, the same" and nothing matters other than hitting the ball.

Few criticize the Masters in golf regarding the green blazer to its champion or the prior year's champion choosing the dinner menu for the awards dinner the next year. For that matter, few can form a reasonable argument about the NY Yankees having never put the players' last names on their jerseys. Most militaries maintain their roots including some form of sabre/sword in their ceremonial uniforms.

There's nothing wrong with traditions and maintaining them. Whites are tennis tradition and an homage to tennis history. I see nothing wrong with it.

random1
02-07-2007, 06:18 AM
Many of the private clubs around NYC are still all-white attire, or at least predominantly white attire. Annoying, but you get over it quickly...

adlis
02-07-2007, 07:40 AM
nothing matters other than hitting the ball.

Don't let Nike/Adidas hear you say that! they lose a massive amount of potential apparel sales because of the white only uniform. e.g a white 06 polo looks identical to the $1 bargain basement one from walmart. almost no player wears white only gear on the tour because nike/adidas e.t.c wouldn't have anything to market therefore not paying the pros much $$$$.

Wimbledon officials "being stuck up" Englishmen care enough to default anyone for wearing any article of clothing with color because of a 1800's century tradition.

I personally think the sport should move into the 21st century not the 19th.
It shouldn't be a big deal for the organisers, Wimbledon made over $60,000,000 income last year And roger federer won an amazing 1.2% of that!If they want too keep the huge profits they should at least let their revenue earners(the pros) be able to be able to earn a few extra $ from their kit sponsors allowing the usual line of zany multicoloured atp attire.

I don't think Nike/Adidas... place much importance on marketing a bland plain white top for $40 which you can pick up unbranded for $1 do they?

stormholloway
02-07-2007, 08:25 AM

What are you talking about? The level of play was much more balanced in the days of wood. Wood opens the court up to much more net play.

I don't see what the problem is with wearing all white. It's a courtesy to your opponent. White is easy on the eyes and makes your opponent easy to see without any harsh color that can offend anyone. Certain colors have certain effects on the mind. This is a fact, and all players wearing white takes color out of the equation as far as its ability to make a strong impression on an opponent.

Besides, it's their tournament. Don't like it? Don't play there. I think if some people had their way around here, everyone would play tennis on hardcourts wearing bright red sleeveless shirts and capri pants. Well despite the way tennis is played today, there are roots and heritage to the game, so eat it.

ja_
02-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Don't let Nike/Adidas hear you say that! they lose a massive amount of potential apparel sales because of the white only uniform. e.g a white 06 polo looks identical to the $1 bargain basement one from walmart. almost no player wears white only gear on the tour because nike/adidas e.t.c wouldn't have anything to market therefore not paying the pros much $$$$.

Wimbledon officials "being stuck up" Englishmen care enough to default anyone for wearing any article of clothing with color because of a 1800's century tradition.

I personally think the sport should move into the 21st century not the 19th.
It shouldn't be a big deal for the organisers, Wimbledon made over $60,000,000 income last year And roger federer won an amazing 1.2% of that!If they want too keep the huge profits they should at least let their revenue earners(the pros) be able to be able to earn a few extra $ from their kit sponsors allowing the usual line of zany multicoloured atp attire.

I don't think Nike/Adidas... place much importance on marketing a bland plain white top for $40 which you can pick up unbranded for $1 do they?
So what's your arguement? Are you upset that the players have to wear white because ???, or because it hurts name brand companies? This doesn't make sense.
I don't mind it at all.
I was surprised they no longer require the players to bow to the royal box. Not everything about Wimbledon is the same as it was when it got started. There's nothing to complain about.

adlis
02-07-2007, 11:26 AM
So what's your arguement? Are you upset that the players have to wear white because ???, or because it hurts name brand companies? This doesn't make sense.
I don't mind it at all.
I was surprised they no longer require the players to bow to the royal box. Not everything about Wimbledon is the same as it was when it got started. There's nothing to complain about.

Because Like G W Bush Wimbledon's dress code does more harm than good.

stormholloway
02-07-2007, 11:52 AM
First, if you think that all white apparel is the same then you know nothing of clothes. Did you think colors are the only difference among different clothing brands? Ever heard of cut?

What harm does a dress code do? White is a pure color, much like the purity of grass tennis. Just because nimrods like you don't understand it doesn't mean they should go and change their rules.

I think if I saw the way you dressed it might put things in perspective a bit.

Also, since when does anyone care if Adidas loses money? Is that a major concern for you? That's ASSUMING they actually do lose money. I've seen no proof that they do.

What most people want is homogenization: for everything to be the same. What's wrong with uniqueness? Wimbledon is unique. It's special. It has a certain style and part of that is the dress code. It's like a costume party, would you complain to the thrower of a costume party that he shouldn't make people wear costumes? No. If you don't like the rules of the party, then don't go to the party.

Oricus
02-07-2007, 11:55 AM
I agree with Adlis: the fact that you can wear an all-white clown outfit, but not a tasteful pastel country club ensemble essentially makes a mockery of the intent of the all-white rule.

Clearly, Roddick in his preppy pastels is miles closer to traditional tennis clobber than Nadal in his PJs...in this case, the law is an ***.

That's subjective reasoning, there is all white, and that is the rule. It's been a tradition at Wimbledon, and they have molded themselves throughout time to compliment the times, however, the premise is white and they stick to that. It's not something that should be scrutinized so much

stormholloway
02-07-2007, 11:57 AM
FiveO has it right as well. It's an homage to tennis history, in a time when tennis has lost so much touch with its roots. Suddenly people want to cut away the last vestiges of tennis' heyday.

Also, he makes another point: the all white makes it all about the game. You can't use bright colors or absurd outfits to intimidate or distract your opponent. Do you think Wimbledon is the greatest tennis tournament in the world because it plays by everyone else's rules?

Rabbit
02-07-2007, 12:58 PM
All white clothes?

It's the man tryin' to keep me down....

Racism pure and simple.

pound cat
02-07-2007, 01:10 PM
All white clothes?

It's the man tryin' to keep me down....

Racism pure and simple.

White clothes have nothing to do with the colour of one's skin. However, it might have a lot to do with might have a lot to do with membership in the All England Club...aka Wimbledon. And in becoming a member of the Royal Family.

adlis
02-07-2007, 01:12 PM
White clothes have nothing to do with the colour of one's skin. However, it might have a lot to do with might have a lot to do with membership in the All England Club...aka Wimbledon. And in becoming a member of the Royal Family.

i think the white uniform DID emerge from the racial prejudices from the 1800's

stormholloway
02-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Based on what? The KKK? White is easy to see and is easy on the eyes. Plus, as I said before, white isn't offensive to the brain like other colors like bright red or bright yellow.

What could be more pure than white outfits on green grass? Seems like a no brainer to me.

adlis
02-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Based on what? The KKK? White is easy to see and is easy on the eyes. Plus, as I said before, white isn't offensive to the brain like other colors like bright red or bright yellow.

What could be more pure than white outfits on green grass? Seems like a no brainer to me.

Was you drunk when you wrote that line?!!?

This reinforces my second point. Any player (atp/wta) can be "unique" and wear all white attire but that would be financial suicide for them because i am pretty certain no sponsor would touch them with a telephone mast.

Which one do you think would draw the most money for the kit sponsors?

Roger federer's 2007 God suit(Nike Men's Winter Sphere Macro React Polo) rrp is $65

or a a plain white T shirt for $65 that you can buy for $0.98 and draw a tick on with a crayon?

If the white only uniform rule was dropped then the sponsors will be happy and the future of British tennis also because kids watching the sports wont be put off by the white elitist upper class snobbishness that leaks from the tournaments every pore and might consider being a pro.

FiveO
02-08-2007, 11:19 AM

This reinforces my second point. Any player (atp/wta) can be "unique" and wear all white attire but that would be financial suicide for them because i am pretty certain no sponsor would touch them with a telephone mast.

Roger federer's 2007 God suit(Nike Men's Winter Sphere Macro React Polo) rrp is $65

or a a plain white T shirt for $65 that you can buy for $0.98 and draw a tick on with a crayon?

If the white only uniform rule was dropped then the sponsors will be happy and the future of British tennis also because kids watching the sports wont be put off by the white elitist upper class snobbishness that leaks from the tournaments every pore and might consider being a pro.

Bad assumption. How long have you been around the sport?

The big sponsors in the 60's and the 70's still had thriving competition for endorsements. Izod/Lacoste, Fred Perry and later Adidas, Fila and Sergio Tachini thrived with "whites" at that time, which was when color was first allowed at major venues. In the seventies, Fila and Tachini were throwing money at Borg, Vilas and McEnroe, to wear their wares. Borg's predominantly white "Yankee pinstripe" shirt and solid white shorts were all the rage and what everyone willing to part with some large cash wanted to wear. The logo was the thing. The Fila "F", the adidas three petalled flower, Tachini's interlocking TC, the Alligator, and later Nike, etc. were still what people wanted and like today, many wanted to wear what their favorite pro wore. All the clothes may have been predominantly white at a certain point but everyone in that time knew what each pro wore anyway.

What you've fallen into is the marketing trap that convinces some it is better to look good in black in New York in August on a sunlit, windless 95 degrees and 80 percent humidity day than it would be to feel good in white and that color choice in tennis togs attracts or dissuades players from the sport.

What's '07's color? Green? Yellow? Damn. Who do you think decides the color du jour? The consumer? And why?

I where colors where and when appropriate. I'll where whites when prudent or when mandated by the host club or tournament director. I don't see a problem. But if you think clothing manufacturers don't make or haven't made money on whites you're misinformed.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. Chartreuse?

adlis
02-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Bad assumption. How long have you been around the sport?

The big sponsors in the 60's and the 70's still had thriving competition for endorsements. Izod/Lacoste, Fred Perry and later Adidas, Fila and Sergio Tachini thrived with "whites" at that time, which was when color was first allowed at major venues. In the seventies, Fila and Tachini were throwing money at Borg, Vilas and McEnroe, to wear their wares. Borg's predominantly white "Yankee pinstripe" shirt and solid white shorts were all the rage and what everyone willing to part with some large cash wanted to wear. The logo was the thing. The Fila "F", the adidas three petalled flower, Tachini's interlocking TC, the Alligator, and later Nike, etc. were still what people wanted and like today, many wanted to wear what their favorite pro wore. All the clothes may have been predominantly white at a certain point but everyone in that time knew what each pro wore anyway.

What you've fallen into is the marketing trap that convinces some it is better to look good in black in New York in August on a sunlit, windless 95 degrees and 80 percent humidity day than it would be to feel good in white and that color choice in tennis togs attracts or dissuades players from the sport.

What's '07's color? Green? Yellow? Damn. Who do you think decides the color du jour? The consumer? And why?

I where colors where and when appropriate. I'll where whites when prudent or when mandated by the host club or tournament director. I don't see a problem. But if you think clothing manufacturers don't make or haven't made money on whites you're misinformed.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. Chartreuse?

Nice reading but you haven't stated any reasons why The white only uniform rule is justified.

But i have played white uniform players in the middle of summer it blinds me if i look at them because of the light that shies off them, So my argument is that white uniforms could be distracting.

Am i the only person on the planet that is annoyed by this RULE?

FiveO
02-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Nice reading but you haven't stated any reasons why The white only uniform rule is justified.

A.) Roots
B.) Tradition
C.) Look at the bright side (glare aside) at least the tennis clothes manufacturers can still profit exhorbitantly from tennis's version of "throwback" jerseys/uniforms.

But i have played white uniform players in the middle of summer it blinds me if i look at them because of the light that shies off them, So my argument is that white uniforms could be distracting.

Now "white out" is justification. How do you feel about an optic yellow outfit as background to an optic yellow ball?

Am i the only person on the planet that is annoyed by this RULE?

Apparently.

By any chance are you in textiles?

Ronaldo
02-08-2007, 12:01 PM

Let's start a NEW tradition, eh? http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g142/mulletmark/Fat-Boys-Jail-House-Rap-285189.jpg

adlis
02-08-2007, 12:30 PM
A.) Roots
B.) Tradition

Trousers, long sleeve shirts, underhanded serves, wooden rackets were tradition/roots trey went out of the window pretty quick after they were put forward by the players.

Roots??lol the world was a different place in the 1800's. the first Wimbledon championships took place only 12 years after the Americans abolished slavery so i don't think that i would be interested in roots/traditions in 2007 that originated from the 'ye oldie times.

Let's start a NEW tradition, eh? http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g142/mulletmark/Fat-Boys-Jail-House-Rap-285189.jpg

whats the point quoting a user that obviously cannot answer you because he/she is BANNED?!?

FiveO
02-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Trousers, long sleeve shirts, underhanded serves, wooden rackets were tradition/roots trey went out of the window pretty quick after they were put forward by the players.

Roots??lol the world was a different place in the 1800's. the first Wimbledon championships took place only 12 years after the Americans abolished slavery so i don't think that i would be interested in roots/traditions in 2007 that originated from the 'ye oldie times.

whats the point quoting a user that obviously cannot answer you because he/she is BANNED?!?

The tradition lasted at all events into the 1960's, not just Wimbledon. Practicality ended long sleeves and pants but the traditional "whites" were carried on and Wimbledon as well as some other clubs have chosen to maintain the connection.

I'd suggest trying to live with it and seeing an opthamologist if an opponent clad in white continues to present a glare issue during play.

adlis
02-08-2007, 01:19 PM
I'd suggest trying to live with it and seeing an opthamologist if an opponent clad in white continues to present a glare issue during play.

Bring back tradition....

http://www.fuzzysignal.com/tennis/whatsgoingon/edwardian-tennis-attire.jpg

................NOT

I wish the atp/wta players threatened a boycott. I bet Wimbledon would back down pretty fast.

Yours!05
02-08-2007, 02:46 PM
By any chance are you in textiles?Rofl.
Carry on...

Starlite
02-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Bring back tradition....

http://www.fuzzysignal.com/tennis/whatsgoingon/edwardian-tennis-attire.jpg

................NOT

I wish the atp/wta players threatened a boycott. I bet Wimbledon would back down pretty fast.

I don't understand why you have such a problem with it. It's only one tournament out of about 70, and they've been doing it for 130 years. Anyways, funny pic. Would love to see some of the ladies in those kinds of outfits, haha, imagine Sharapova running around in that.

adlis
02-08-2007, 04:09 PM
I don't understand why you have such a problem with it. It's only one tournament out of about 70, and they've been doing it for 130 years. Anyways, funny pic. Would love to see some of the ladies in those kinds of outfits, haha, imagine Sharapova running around in that.

Andre agassi abandoned wimbledon in the early nineties because of the white only uniform rule so at least i am not alone.

rrhstennis
02-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Because Like G W Bush Wimbledon's dress code does more harm than good.

This is 'cute' to say the least. Why don't you leave your liberal rag politics out of this one? I don't care what you think of Bush, what does he have to do with this conversation at all? Yeah, nothing, that's what I thought. Carry on, and next time, do it with a bit of thinking beforehand.

rrhstennis
02-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Andre agassi abandoned wimbledon in the early nineties because of the white only uniform rule so at least i am not alone.

Most speculate he was simply avoiding the grand slam that least suited his style of playing. Ironically, he ended up winning it first despite the match up with his game.

FiveO
02-08-2007, 04:50 PM

Agassi's Wimbledon debut came in 1987, when he lost to Henri Leconte in the first round. A disgusted Agassi -- he hated playing on grass -- later said, "This isn't tennis."

http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/agassi_andre.html

Once matured and reflecting on Wimbledon and its traditions he realized:

"This is the place that first taught me to respect the sport," he said. "To really appreciate the opportunity and privilege it is to play a game for a living.

I think I had to come here and prove myself

"People work five days a week to play at the weekend, we get to call it a job. I think I learned that here, missing it for a few years, coming back, being embraced, seeing the respect for tennis and the competitors.

"They're here come rain or shine. Through the years I've seen them sit through some tough conditions just to see a few minutes of play, whether they're queueing up outside or sitting on Centre Court with their umbrellas.

"It's quite a love for the sport and that's what separates this from every other event."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/5136472.stm

On Wimbledon, Agassi says, "This is the place that first taught me to respect the sport." And if that hadn't happened, who knows... Agassi might still be rocking the pink spandex shorts to this day. So thank you, Wimbledon.

http://deadspin.com/sports/wimbledon/nadal-shows-agassi-the-wimbledon-exits-184779.php

He even grew to love the "predominantly white" clothing rule, sashaying on to Centre Court in 1991 in all-enveloping track suit and then peeling it off to wolf whistles and cheers, to reveal pristine white shirt and shorts underneath. And when he won the title in 1992, beating Goran Ivanisevic and claiming the first of his eight Grand Slam titles, Agassi was smitten.

"This is where it all started for me, my dreams," he said. "It really started here. I've been embraced so warmly here from my early years, and that has meant the world to me. It has allowed me to grow, this championship has allowed me to grow into the player and the person that I am today and I have so many people to thank for that.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sport.cfm?id=965302006

For most, with maturity comes wisdom.

And no, you're still pretty much alone.

adlis
02-08-2007, 05:16 PM
This is 'cute' to say the least. Why don't you leave your liberal rag politics out of this one? I don't care what you think of Bush, what does he have to do with this conversation at all? Yeah, nothing, that's what I thought. Carry on, and next time, do it with a bit of thinking beforehand.

wow what a nasty human you are sir!! did i insult your grand master president, that 100 lashings of the cane for me. Sorry PAL but what side of the bed was you thrown out of?

your liberal rag politics? Wow sorry has the constitution been rewritten so i cannot make jokes about your beautiful president?! No? I would ADVISE YOU TO KEEP YOUR ABUSIVE MOUTH SHUT because you seem to have a axe to grind "don't ya pal".

On Wimbledon, Agassi says, "This is the place that first taught me to respect the sport." And if that hadn't happened, who knows... Agassi might still be rocking the pink spandex shorts to this day. So thank you, Wimbledon.

No offence but all the only thing Andree agassi respects is the $$$. That's the only reason he gave up his mini protest

rrhstennis
02-08-2007, 05:54 PM
wow what a nasty human you are sir!! did i insult your grand master president, that 100 lashings of the cane for me. Sorry PAL but what side of the bed was you thrown out of?

your liberal rag politics? Wow sorry has the constitution been rewritten so i cannot make jokes about your beautiful president?! No? I would ADVISE YOU TO KEEP YOUR ABUSIVE MOUTH SHUT because you seem to have a axe to grind "don't ya pal".

No need to call me sir, although thanks for the respect, but I'm sure you're older than me, as almost everyone on these boards are. (I'm about to turn 18.)

Anyway, why all the caps and insults? My point was, you insulted a man who leads this country the best he can, and no matter what you think of it, he's going to be gone one day and someone else is going to do the same. Guess what? A lot of people are going to hate him too.

So since the fact that you don't like a president is pretty darn unavoidable, why don't you leave that out of this? We're talking about tennis, my friend, not politics.

Thank you.

PS: I also meant to thank you for having the guts to respond when you knew you were wrong, most people don't bother.

retrowagen
02-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Back to original question.

The "predominantly white" rule is actually a club rule of the All England Lawn Tennis Club who host the Championships (a.k.a. Wimbledon). A Club Rule. Simple as that. If you are lucky enough to play there, you'll be playing in a mostly white uniform. Or not at all.

They have gotten somewhat progressive in the last few years. Up until recently, men were required to have collared shirts with a button or zip placket - T-Shirts, Crew shirts, or muscle shirts were am strengsten verboten! And women can now wear shorts, if they desire.

Ann White, in her daring white skinsuit back in 1984(?) [see previous page] wore that suit as a protest against the "all white" rule. She had to revert to normal attire for the next round - the Club Chairman insisted on that, threatening a default if she did not comply.

Sometimes tradition is a good thing. Even if you don't agree with it, respect it and keep going.

Steve Huff
02-08-2007, 07:26 PM
adlis--you jump on FiveO for giving you what Agassi said. I think YOU are the one that brought Agassi into the conversation when you mentioned that he boycotted it.

2nd, Wimbledon is a private club. They pay the winner over a million dollars, and other players a lot of money too, just for qualifying. They could ask everyone that competes to wear pink diapers, and if a person is interested in competing for that "over a million dollar" prize, they'll wear pink diapers. No player is "forced" to play. It's still, and always has been, the player's choice of playing at Wimbledon or not.

Finally, wearing white had nothing to do with racism. Tennis, being played on grass, often stain the clothes. Bleach was used to remove stains. Bleach wasn't used on colors. So, tennis players, as well as other lawn sports participants, often wore white. It also helped differentiate the players from the spectators. Now, it's just tradition. Nothing wrong with a little tradition.

adlis
02-08-2007, 08:09 PM
2nd, Wimbledon is a private club. They pay the winner over a million dollars, and other players a lot of money too, just for qualifying. They could ask everyone that competes to wear pink diapers, and if a person is interested in competing for that "over a million dollar" prize, they'll wear pink diapers. No player is "forced" to play. It's still, and always has been, the player's choice of playing at Wimbledon or not.

£655,000 for winning wimbledon isn't that much money by today's standards. Players won more than that if they won the grand slam cup way back in the 80's. considering that wimbledon makes profits of over $60,000,000 a tournament its pathetic that they give the men's champion 1.2% of that.

Anyway if roger federer walked on to centre court wearing a "coloured" uniform the officials won't dare default him because if they would be in financial disaster if they done something that stoopid'.

Remember kids that £/$ is king.

adlis--you jump on FiveO for giving you what Agassi said. I think YOU are the one that brought Agassi into the conversation when you mentioned that he boycotted it.

i was just stating facts. Andre was a hard *** during the early years but he learnt the age old rule- wimbledon=loadsamoney

OrangeOne
02-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Anyway if roger federer walked on to centre court wearing a "coloured" uniform the officials won't dare default him because if they would be in financial disaster if they done something that stoopid'.

A. I don't agree with the above. Fed would cop the same series of penalties as the next guy. Wimbledon aren't about to throw away years of tradition just for one player.

B. Financial disaster? Why? Why would defaulting Fed be financial disaster? Suddenly an American would have a logically higher chance of winning - and everyone knows that the money is in the American (TV) market.

BlackSheep
02-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Clones.....????

adlis
02-08-2007, 08:55 PM
A. I don't agree with the above. Fed would cop the same series of penalties as the next guy. Wimbledon aren't about to throw away years of tradition just for one player.

B. Financial disaster? Why? Why would defaulting Fed be financial disaster? Suddenly an American would have a logically higher chance of winning - and everyone knows that the money is in the American (TV) market.

ha ha ha the SAME American that Andy Murray destroyed at last years competition?

what american has a better chance of winning if federer is magically defaulted?

Tw favorite roddick? Like i said above andy murray worked this guy out in 2006 what chance does he have in 2007??
James Blake? maybe but he doesn't like 5 setters
Mardy fish? Those legs belong in the wta
Donald young? people are to busy kicking him down to give him a chance
pete sampras? ....

Come on honestly if you believe that the organisers would default the greatest player to ever step foot on centre court i would say that you ae smoking something exotic!

OrangeOne
02-08-2007, 09:00 PM
ha ha ha the SAME American that Andy Murray destroyed at last years competition?

what american has a better chance of winning if federer is magically defaulted?

ANY american, purely statistically by definition. I'm not American, I don't live in America, in fact I've never even been there. I was simply using it to highlight the American TV ratings point.

Come on honestly if you believe that the organisers would default the greatest player to ever step foot on centre court i would say that you ae smoking something exotic!

He's not *yet* the greatest player to have stepped onto Wimbledon CC, statistically anyways. I think he is ability-wise, but that's another discussion.

Care to make a poll on this one? Along the lines of "If Roger Federer walked out to play next year's Wimbledon First Round in a completely Red shirt, would he be defaulted the same as the next person?"

Steve Huff
02-09-2007, 09:11 AM
Well, if you want a good reason not to allow colors, someone would undoubtedly show up in "tennis ball" yellow, making it difficult to pick up the ball when it's in line with the player. When yellow rackets first came out, there were a few pro's complaining about that too.

And, just for the record, the clothes must be "predominantly" white. It can have colors. Nike's sales took off when Nadal wore his white pedal pushers. I, for one, hope they never change the rule. And, I think Fed would have been treated the same as any player. Players, Agassi for one, realize that the game is bigger than the player. The Williams sisters seemed to think they were bigger than the WTA or any of the tournaments for a while. I think their injuries, and seeing that the tournaments still drew record crowds, brought them back to reality some. They are way more humble than they were 5 years ago.

samizram
02-09-2007, 10:25 AM
I think it's a real stretch to somehow find racism in the rule. Class-ism? Yes. Racism, no. It's like everything else about the people who run Wimbledon, divine TRADITION. The upper-crusties wanna be different. Five sets. No tiebreakers. They have always fought change every step of the way. Their arguments against equal prize money are ridiculous and show that they just grasp at straws to resist change - more as a knee-jerk reaction than on any principle. I say that because, by their own criteria they should be able to prove that the men bring in more money if they are going to pay higher prize money to the men, but they can't. So, obviously, even they don't believe what they're saying. They just want to resist change.

It's plain to see that they still have one foot in the Victorian age and are still trying to keep it there.

That's just the way those people are. Actually, I think it's best if tennis keeps failing to make a big deal of them making a big deal of the color of clothing a player wears. It's silly.

whistleway
02-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Tradition my ***! Wimby has stuck up snobs running that wrecked place. It must hurt them so bad to see no English player win it a long.. long.. long time. Maybe they are waiting for one to win before they change that silly rule :)

stormholloway
02-09-2007, 02:23 PM

Since when do so many people on here care about how much Nike and Adidas make? Different colors have different effects on the mind. I've already stated that. Making players wear all white completely levels the playing field. It's about purity of play.

Yes, white is pure. It's not racist. I don't know any white people. They're all different shades of pink, peach, and brown. White is just a term used to describe caucasian but there are no truly white people. Even albinos have that smidgeon of pink.

I don't even see it as classist. White clothes on green grass has a certain desireable look. Don't like it? Fine, but you're fascist if you think you can tell someone to change the way they host a tournament.

adlis
02-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Yes, white is pure. It's not racist. I don't know any white people. They're all different shades of pink, peach, and brown. White is just a term used to describe caucasian but there are no truly white people. Even albinos have that smidgeon of pink.

I dont understand where you got the impression someone said that it was racist?

Can you make please explain what your point is exactly?

Steve Huff
02-10-2007, 08:25 PM
because you brought up that even Agassi abondon Wimbledon because of this rule, then when Five-O pointed out what Agassi said, you tried to make Five-O's points meaningless by saying Agassi only did it for money. You tried to put down Five-O's statements by saying they were really irrelevant. All I'm saying is that YOU brought Agassi into the conversation, not Five-O.

adlis
02-22-2007, 07:11 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6385295.stm

One down one to go.

You will have to wait a little longer to kiss my postirior

Ztalin
02-22-2007, 07:20 AM
Because it is Spartan tradition to wear white.

ne1410is
02-22-2007, 05:55 PM
well historically, classism has been inevitably intertwined with racism. the relation is still pervasive in today's culture imo. social scientists document and simple observational acumen will demonstrate that the majority of people associate affluence with certain ethnicities more so than others. possibly reflective of the disproportionate distribution of ethnic minorities along the economic scale. this, in and of itself is again, a product of the historical inequalities experienced to a larger degree in the past, and the repercussions of which are evident today.

i always thought white was used as an expression of the ample resources available to the elite and wealthy of an earlier England. it takes a lot more effort (obviously done by the 'help') to keep whites clean and so it was a privilege to be enjoyed only by those with extra money, time, and other types of capital i.e. the same people who could afford leisure activities like playing lawn tennis at an exclusive and expensive club with neatly manicured lawns.

and boy they are pretty anal about it. remember murphy jensen clowning the establishment by wearing the long pants and sweater vest (can't remember if he showed up with a wooden racket too) to his match only to be summarily dismissed. the rationale being he was wearing inappropriate tennis attire and that the color was creme, not white. the subtext being, "NOBODY makes fun of the AELTC, especially not Murphy Jensen".

ilostmymarbles
02-26-2007, 04:23 AM
I think those who object to all white are just being silly.
It doesn't create a classs divide it's jsut tradition. White is not a sign of rich over poor as white is not that hard to keep clean, you get a bucket, water and bleach and hay presto its clean. Now if they insisted that all players wear silk it might be different.
Beside uniforms are an equalizer not a divder. At schools in britain everyone wears uniforms. yes nobody child likes it but it does mean that you don't have the wealthier kids showing of thier fancy clothes witht hte poorere ones getting picked on.
Oh and adlis, please stop pretending tht you know what britain is like when your not british, its like me saying that all americans are fat, stupid rascists. when clearly they're not. You are clearly not british and therefore have no right to say what this country is like. it is a diverse multi-cultural society with a currently left wing government Yes there are tentions britain is not as you imagine it.
We have a healthy regard for traditions as we have a healthy regard for history. That does not make us elitest.
Beside in britain tennis is not that inaccesible. there are small tennis clubs everywere and all unis and lots of schools have clubs and teams.
So please stop thinking britain is still trapped in the victorian era when it isn't

Apart from that wiil you please stop insulting other people on this thread merely because they disagree with your opinions, especially your ones about agassi who has clearly changed his mind about wimbledon traditions which was proabably not for the money as by the time he started plying at wimbley he was already quite rich. you the one that is being abusive.
So be a dear and shut your mouth. its people like you that ruin the socialist cause by making a mountin out of a molehill.

Eviscerator
02-26-2007, 10:22 PM
I say leave tradition alone.

officerdibble
02-27-2007, 12:55 AM
Evidently the "All white" rule is a tradition. And to understand it I believe one has to understand tradition in general.

People rely on traditions because of insecurity. They feel safer having an ascribed set of "rules" because they fear what will happen in the absence of those rules. In the case of Wimbledon it is unfortunate that those on the committee of the All England Club feel so unsure about what makes Wimbledon the great event that it is, that they cling to a stupid, out-moded rule on clothing.

Why stupid and out-moded? Because research (by the LTA) has shown that "whilte clothing" rules contribute to the perception of tennis as an elitist sport (in the UK) that is excluding to lower socio-economic groups. The policy of the All England club is used by clubs like the one I play at to support similar clothing policies - "if the "best" tournament and club does it, so should we." So a young player getting into tennis in a big way, and wanting to emulate their favourite player may be excluded from doing so, because despite virtually EVERY pro tournament in the world letting players wear what they want, one elitist institution can't get over itself. And someone looking at a tennis club like mine, will see a lot of very badly dressed older people, albeit in white, and (if only in one case) that turns them away from the game, it's a bad thing.

Max G.
02-27-2007, 01:51 AM
Evidently the "All white" rule is a tradition. And to understand it I believe one has to understand tradition in general.

Sure, that's true.

People rely on traditions because of insecurity. They feel safer having an ascribed set of "rules" because they fear what will happen in the absence of those rules.

I'm going to have to ask where exactly you got this claim. If you would point me to whatever research that came from, I would be glad to read it, but I think you just pulled it out of thin air, and I'm not buying it.

Off the top of my head, within five seconds of brainstorming, I can think of at least two other feelings that could cause people to like traditions:

Comfort, the kind of warm fuzzy feeling you get when you go back to something that is the same, year after year.

Nostalgia, the feeling you get when you go somewhere and feel like you're being transported back in time half a century.

...and those are just from five seconds of thought. I'm sure that if I spent a good bit of time on this, I could come up with a significantly bigger list. You, however, throw out an assertion and provide no support for explaining how we know it is actually true.

In the case of Wimbledon it is unfortunate that those on the committee of the All England Club feel so unsure about what makes Wimbledon the great event that it is, that they cling to a stupid, out-moded rule on clothing.

Why stupid and out-moded? Because research (by the LTA) has shown that "whilte clothing" rules contribute to the perception of tennis as an elitist sport (in the UK) that is excluding to lower socio-economic groups. The policy of the All England club is used by clubs like the one I play at to support similar clothing policies - "if the "best" tournament and club does it, so should we." So a young player getting into tennis in a big way, and wanting to emulate their favourite player may be excluded from doing so, because despite virtually EVERY pro tournament in the world letting players wear what they want, one elitist institution can't get over itself.

I followed that paragraph until the last sentence... I don't see how anyone who is getting into tennis in a big way will be "excluded" by clothing requirements. Or are you saying that getting white clothing is more of a hassle than getting racquets/balls/tennis apparel in general, and will "exclude" people? And besides, you yourself said that it wasn't even so much the "one institution" that was the problem as all of the clubs that do the same.

[quite] And someone looking at a tennis club like mine, will see a lot of very badly dressed older people, albeit in white, and (if only in one case) that turns them away from the game, it's a bad thing.[/QUOTE]

How does dressed in white correlate with badly dressed? I'm not seeing what you are saying in this sentence.

I suppose you're making the general argument that "if Wimbledon changes their dress code, then interest in tennis in the UK will increase", so I'll leave it at that, that works. Could likely be true.

ilostmymarbles
02-27-2007, 01:52 AM
I still don't see why a white clothing rule would make somehting elitest. As even adlis pointed out white clothes are the cheapest to buy.
When I looked at my school uniform i never though 'oh look how elitest' i thought, thank god i don't have to compete in the 'who has the best clothes' thing at school, cause i could never afford the good stuff.
If you think that traditions ruin a sports popularity then just look at horse riding. A sport that is chock a block with traditions, yet still immensly popular in rural areas. It is also a sport that Britain does very well in.
There is nothing wrong with a few tradtions, they dont harm anyone and most of Wimbledons appeal is it's tradtions. If it didn't have them what then would make it any different from the other of the grand slams. The pl;ayers don't object, so why should we?.l When i was playing tennis when i was younger i used to dream of playing there.

scineram
02-28-2007, 01:00 AM
Is the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club an elite club?

ne1410is
02-28-2007, 10:45 AM
no its not. its just some club that holds a local village tournament once a year.

hyperwarrior
02-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Because it's a Wimbledon tradition to keep the white!

ne1410is
02-28-2007, 05:21 PM
brilliant! case closed. we can all go home now. ;) jk

rubberbandman
03-12-2007, 12:23 PM
thats racest man no other color but white

vince916
03-12-2007, 01:25 PM
I love wearing heather grey t-shirts so I can show off my huge sweat stains.

officerdibble
03-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Sure, that's true.

I'm going to have to ask where exactly you got this claim. If you would point me to whatever research that came from, I would be glad to read it, but I think you just pulled it out of thin air, and I'm not buying it.

Off the top of my head, within five seconds of brainstorming, I can think of at least two other feelings that could cause people to like traditions:

Comfort, the kind of warm fuzzy feeling you get when you go back to something that is the same, year after year.

Nostalgia, the feeling you get when you go somewhere and feel like you're being transported back in time half a century.

...and those are just from five seconds of thought. I'm sure that if I spent a good bit of time on this, I could come up with a significantly bigger list. You, however, throw out an assertion and provide no support for explaining how we know it is actually true.

You may think that you're disagreeing with me, but I'm not sure that you are. Comfort and nostalgia perform what life-enhancing function? That make us feel "nice". Why do they do that? Because they are safe, known quantities. Who craves and values safety and familiar entities most, the most insecure. Observe an anxious (insecure) child and a confident one. The former will be tentative and reluctant to explore new things, the latter will do so happily. There's lots of research on insecurity and how it produces over-controlling compensatory behaviour (of which tradition is a formalised example - read any of the work by Eric Berne if you care to).

My reference to badly dressed people in white, was to the point that having a white clothing rule does nothing to preclude someone wearing a 1980s tennis shirt that was once white, but has been worn and washed so many times, and is of a design so evidently dated, that it presents an image with little appeal to younger people. The elitism comes from the insistance of a dress code that makes no cultural sense - "you might be able to play in three Grand Slam tournaments in coloured clothing but we're different (better)". Such dress codes are the preserve of elitist institutions (in the UK), that have a long association of not welcoming lower socio-economic groups.

Deuce
03-13-2007, 01:54 AM
You may think that you're disagreeing with me, but I'm not sure that you are. Comfort and nostalgia perform what life-enhancing function? That make us feel "nice". Why do they do that? Because they are safe, known quantities. Who craves and values safety and familiar entities most, the most insecure. Observe an anxious (insecure) child and a confident one. The former will be tentative and reluctant to explore new things, the latter will do so happily. There's lots of research on insecurity and how it produces over-controlling compensatory behaviour (of which tradition is a formalised example - read any of the work by Eric Berne if you care to).
While the comfort and 'safety' of familiarity can indeed be what the insecure seek, it is certainly not their domain exclusively.
That is, enjoying the comfort of familiarity is by no means proof of insecurity.
One can say the same of Love. Love is a comfortable and nice feeling - but does this mean that everyone who enjoys the feeling of loving and/or of being loved is insecure? Or that one can only love or be loved if he/she is feeling insecure? Of course not.
The root of the word familiar if family. Familiarity - and the comfort derived from it - can often be simply a very nice thing.

As for traditions... I enjoy the idea. There is enough change occurring today - too much change simply for the sake of change, as change, for some reason seems to imply progress to many. ("Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell." - Edward Abbey.)
Tradition reminds us of our roots; of the history of things; of the journey of how things became the way they are. And that falls under the category of education - which I believe to be a positive thing.

adlis
05-14-2007, 10:48 AM
It's interesting that so many people worldwide like the traditions, customs and unique atmosphere of Wimbledon as much as they do. For me, being English, I've always had a slightly different take...

As well as several years of having to endure the embarrassing hype connected to 'Henmania', I found the incredible tennis more than a little tarnished by the stuffiness, the rigid adherence to this custom and tradition (such as eating strawberries and cream; the endless cow-towing to royalty; and the wearing of white...) What really seals it for me is that, when I was growing up anyhow, tennis was the exclusive preserve of the middle/upper classes. People from the likes of the US or Aus may find it hard to believe, but growing up in inner city London, in all the time I was in education as a child/teenager, the amount of occasions I played tennis was precisely this - ZERO TIMES...

All right, now it's meant to be a lot better, but I'm sure as hell not seeing lots of English worldclass players (in fact, I'm not seeing ANY English worldclass players), and I'm definitely not seeing people of colour, or people of less priviledged backgrounds, taking up the game to any great (and successful) extent. In other words, it still seems to be under the control of the same useless middle/upper class twits - that's the same bunch who run Wimbledon - and you know what they can with their formality and stuffy attitudes, don't you?...

The absolute truth is, I think I have more appreciation of all the other major tournaments... I find them much more dynamic, exciting and generally far more appealing - tournies like the US and Aussie Open are so much more 'cool' (for a start, they're not associated with the cringe-making likes of Sue Barker or the dreaded Cliff Richard... for those unfamiliar, they're 2 bastions of the English tennis world.)

Finally, as to the OP... what crap?!... I mean, I'm not advocating the players dress up like the young Agassi once did (remember his Bee-Gee's, Barry Gibb look?... fetching apparel of lavender, yellow, purple and orange?... denim shorts anybody?!)... but this faintly fascist-like stipulation that you must only wear white?... to coin a popular North London phrase (especially popular in recent years amongst supporters of Tottenham Hotspur FC): 'what a load of old bollocks, mate!...'

someone actually agrees? Amazing!

adlis
06-22-2007, 03:20 PM
update looks like Rafael Nadal has got a warning for his pirate pants and cut-off tops.

This picture taken today shows his 2007 kit. way to go Wimbledon Two steps backwards!!
http://i12.tinypic.com/4lzf3lt.jpg

theballboy
06-22-2007, 04:28 PM
I agree, the white rule is silly.

And to all the people arguing that it's "tradition":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition

Appeal to tradition, also known as appeal to common practice or argumentum ad antiquitatem or false induction or the "is/ought" fallacy, is a common logical fallacy in which a thesis is deemed correct on the basis that it has a long standing tradition behind. Essentially: "This is right because we've always done it this way."

This argument makes basically two assumptions:
The old way of thinking was proven correct when introduced. This might be actually false: the tradition might be entirely based on incorrect grounds.
The reasons to prove the old way of thinking in the past are still valid today. If circumstances have changed, this may be false.

Your line of thinking is a logical fallacy. You shouldn't continue something because you've been doing it in the past. That's stupidity. To justify keeping the tradition, you'd have to prove that all white made sense when they started the tradition, and that it makes sense now.

I'd bet my house that two of the major reasons white was introduced to begin with was because it was the color of the elite. That kind of thinking dominated Victorian England, and was flaunted unashamed.

Other colors are distracting? Laughable. One, I don't think the players would think so. And even if they do, it wouldn't hurt to ask. And secondly, wouldn't that be a reason to change every other tournament to white attire events also?

In other words: White was a tradition at EVERY tennis tournament at one point. They all changed evenutally. No one seems to mind. Yet for some reason, you think this one tournament should stay this way forever, because they never felt like changing the rules? I don't get it.

jmsx521
06-22-2007, 06:41 PM
a Wimby tradition.A puritanical one too.

psamp14
06-22-2007, 07:21 PM
It is difficult to distinguish the players when they are all wearing white. That is why soccer teams have differently colored jerseys.

i agree, its so hard to distinguish the players when they all wear white...were you confused last year when federer and nadal met in the final? i was too at first but then i learned how to know who was federer and who was nadal....nadal religiously picks his ***** before he serves and quite often on returns as well ;)

iPlayer
06-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Like the Fish/Roddick match at the AO this year. Both wore the same white outfit and hats. If Roddick wasn't destroying Fish it would have been hard to tell them apart.

xshilinx
06-23-2007, 02:17 AM
It's a tradition worth preserving.

And the fact that we all remembers Wimbledon for 1. Most impt and prestigious slam, and 2. the fact that all white attire is required.

It stands out, from the rest of the competitions.

War, Safin!
06-23-2007, 02:53 AM
People from the likes of the US or Aus may find it hard to believe, but growing up in inner city London, in all the time I was in education as a child/teenager, the amount of occasions I played tennis was precisely this - ZERO TIMES...
someone actually agrees? Amazing!
He only agress cos his 'agenda' is identical to yours.

Oricus
06-23-2007, 04:11 AM
I am glad some of you are not making the decisions here. Wimbledon has every right to have a dress code. It's a private club that hosts a tournament in which criteria like dress code is required. People, if you work for a business firm, on Monday morning you are not going to go to work and wear Jeans and a cut off t-shirt are you?

Well, in what ways is Wimbledon any different? It's their tournament, it's not any of yours. If you feel so badly about it, go out and make your own tournament allowing whatever dress code you want. But don't parade around here telling everyone how much of an injustice to the world it is that Wimbledon makes people where white clothes.

And another thing, what does it really matter if corporate clothing companies like Nike and Adidas potentially lose money. I don't think Adlis brought up any facts other than his own conclusions that they lose money. If they do, it's not really noticeable, and I am sure most see it as a way to show off their white clothing attire. Yes, there are people in the world that still wear white clothes and play tennis besides at Wimbledon.

I feel it's ridiculous that people actually have a problem with this. There is a sense of tradition, and whatever little tradition Wimbledon may have left, the all white clothes I believe is worth preserving.

As one poster already noted about the psychological impact other colours might have on the brain. He is quite right about white being pure. It does have a psychological balance, and I highly doubt that the light from the sun will effect players eyes in white clothing. I've played tennis in White clothes against other people in White clothes, and I don't know where Adlis gets his information from but there isn't some crazy glare that is projected and blinds opponents.

Bottom line, ridiculous, it's a rule, there are standards in life that have to be met. If Wimbledon wants you to wear a certain colour in order to play on their courts. Then they by all means have the power to enforce it.

adlis
06-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Wimbledon 2nd round 2007

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06_03/tatianaDM2806_468x626.jpg

Tatiana Golovin was wearing red shorts so if a average WTA player can challenge the "white only" rule i would think a GOAT player like Federer would easily get away with not wearing "ALL WHITE".

stormholloway
06-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Like the Fish/Roddick match at the AO this year. Both wore the same white outfit and hats. If Roddick wasn't destroying Fish it would have been hard to tell them apart.

You do know that the players only switch sides on odd games right? It's not like they're playing musical chairs.

adlis
06-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Am no respecter of snobbish traditions myself so let players wear what they want.

do not force people give them a choice!

NamRanger
06-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Tradition is not an excuse. S&V is traditionally played at Wimbledon because of the grass that they used to have. You see S&V at Wimbledon anymore? If you want to stick to traditions, stick to them all.

OrangeOne
06-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Am no respecter of snobbish traditions myself so let players wear what they want.

do not force people give them a choice!

There is a choice... players who don't want to wear predominantly white can choose not to play.

leftiegirl
06-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Prison outfits- white??? How old are you guys? Aren't they like orange now?

Anyway, I think the Brits are sometimes so uppity! Auggh..

daddy
06-11-2008, 02:03 PM
There is a choice... players who don't want to wear predominantly white can choose not to play.

Not correct. They receive a fine. Ask Agassi, he knows a whole lot about being fined at Wimbledon while he was young and wearing jeans shorts and screaming t-shirts to annoy officials and his dad.

Agassi's career in pictures :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/5268392.stm

SempreSami
06-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Prison outfits- white??? How old are you guys? Aren't they like orange now?

Anyway, I think the Brits are sometimes so uppity! Auggh..

Oh **** off.

OrangeOne
06-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Not correct. They receive a fine.

Yup, they recieve a fine. Still correct though (a fine doesn't mean they're forced to wear white!).

And anyways, Most could pay it handily...

Moz
06-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Like most threads that last this long the reasoning is becoming increasingly spurious.

"Anyway, I think the Brits are sometimes so uppity! Auggh.." - FFS, you cretin.

You can quote the argument verbatim that wearing white at Wimbledon creates an illusion that it's an exclusive domain of the rich and as a result kids won't take up tennis. Quoting it continually doesn't make it sensible.

What complete and utter bollocks. You really think a kid who likes the idea of playing tennis is going to turn round and say - I'm not playing because they have to wear white. Get a reality check.

As for "a study conducted by the LTA" - pull the other one. That organisation has tried every trick in the book to deflect the blame for their abysmal stewardship of the game.

BTW - recently in 2 amateur tournaments in the USA; one had an all white rule, the other has a collared shirts only rule. Completely up to them and more power to them.

Moz
06-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Wimbledon 2nd round 2007

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06_03/tatianaDM2806_468x626.jpg

Tatiana Golovin was wearing red shorts so if a average WTA player can challenge the "white only" rule i would think a GOAT player like Federer would easily get away with not wearing "ALL WHITE".

They allow coloured undershorts if there is visible cameltoe.

Very progressive of them, huh?

skip1969
06-11-2008, 03:27 PM
i suppose i should be happy that someone did a search and dug up this thread instead of starting another one about the evils of predominantly white clothing at the all england club . . . but is this really worth rehashing every year?

danb
06-11-2008, 03:33 PM
look the same=white

use your brain Einstein

Dopey - we write black on white. That's quite a difference from you writing white on white :twisted:.
Might be above your IQ but there is a clear difference between black vertical stripes on white clothes and white clothes (no black).

user92626
06-11-2008, 04:18 PM

It's pretty easy to tell them apart, dude. The one winning is Nadal.

OrangeOne
06-11-2008, 04:27 PM
^^Yup, you're right.

....if the month is march to early june, otherwise nadal's already on a plane to the next tourny when Fed's winning the quarters on the way to holding the trophy.

KRFLegal
06-11-2008, 04:32 PM
i suppose i should be happy that someone did a search and dug up this thread instead of starting another one about the evils of predominantly white clothing at the all england club . . . but is this really worth rehashing every year?

Every year will be the first Wimbledon for lots of people, so rehashing could have some value...also for us newbies to the site, getting a chance to make the same remarks that have been made in the past makes us feel at home here on the forums...

SempreSami
06-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Like most threads that last this long the reasoning is becoming increasingly spurious.

"Anyway, I think the Brits are sometimes so uppity! Auggh.." - FFS, you cretin.

You can quote the argument verbatim that wearing white at Wimbledon creates an illusion that it's an exclusive domain of the rich and as a result kids won't take up tennis. Quoting it continually doesn't make it sensible.

What complete and utter bollocks. You really think a kid who likes the idea of playing tennis is going to turn round and say - I'm not playing because they have to wear white. Get a reality check.

As for "a study conducted by the LTA" - pull the other one. That organisation has tried every trick in the book to deflect the blame for their abysmal stewardship of the game.

BTW - recently in 2 amateur tournaments in the USA; one had an all white rule, the other has a collared shirts only rule. Completely up to them and more power to them.

High five!

adlis
06-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Dopey - we write black on white. That's quite a difference from you writing white on white :twisted:.
Might be above your IQ but there is a clear difference between black vertical stripes on white clothes and white clothes (no black).

excuse me danb but that dude has been banned over 2 years ago dude why are you quoting exia? do you want some twisted net era satisfaction of insulting the user knowing that he or she will not reply? dude you need to get out of the basement and spend some time away from the computer.

One solution to the 150 year old rule.
Wimbledon should have a choice of attire like the grass atp tournaments, 90% of the entrants wear mostly white so what is the point enforcing it.

give people a choice.

imagine fed on centre court wimbledon with his ninja suit..
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3142/2298055514_034361469d_o.jpg

daddy
06-11-2008, 11:04 PM
That's why British people are respected yet doomed. This tradition is worth honering yet in this 'fast food, trash movies and bimbo women' time many will bash on the very tradition that makes wImbledon so exciting. Do not forget it is THE oldest tournament in the world. New wave fashion is cool, just white on green does wonders for me at Wimby.

SikSerb
06-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Its a tradition the English people running Wimbledon like to keep up. They also like to make players go on continuous days of play just so they can keep up with their beloved schedule.

daddy
06-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Its a tradition the English people running Wimbledon like to keep up. They also like to make players go on continuous days of play just so they can keep up with their beloved schedule.

The difference being the latter tradition is something which is hurting the game my friend, especially with no covers on any courts, while the all-white outfit tradition is something which should not be bashed here all the time as it's a nice one.

SikSerb
06-11-2008, 11:12 PM
The difference being the latter tradition is something which is hurting the game my friend, especially with no covers on any courts, while the all-white outfit tradition is something which should not be bashed here all the time as it's a nice one.

I don't mind the traditional white outfits, I think it gives extra class to the game. But the latter is just plain stupidity.

daddy
06-11-2008, 11:13 PM
I don't mind the traditional white outfits, I think it gives extra class to the game. But the latter is just plain stupidity.

Then we agree about both of the things. There you go ! ;)

adlis
06-30-2009, 04:30 AM
tighty whities fail.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7873/article119538105775da80.jpg

http://yfrog.com/5karticle119538105775da80j

adlis
06-30-2009, 04:31 AM
tighty whities fail.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9764/b8800af3c67cc882655172f.jpg

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7873/article119538105775da80.jpg

T-fighter
06-30-2009, 05:57 AM
Dick Norman (playing doubles with Moodie at the moment) was banned form the stands at central court a couple of days ago because he was wearing a (white) adidas shirt (the one many of the players wear on court).

Apparently it was not decent enough to wear in the stands :)

Badger
06-30-2009, 06:26 AM
Like already said, it's a tradition. It is an honor to play at Wimbledon, and it's not just for the "privileged Oxford graduates." Anyone can play there. All they have to do is win. So I don't think it is fair to criticize one of the most prestige majors ever for the people who play there and the clothes they wear. Thats what I think.

I think so too.

How can you say that? We're well into the open era at this stage chappy. It's a tradition. Get over it... and yourself.

Eviscerator
06-30-2009, 06:43 AM
Some people in life never seem satisfied with their own lives, and look to tear down things to make themselves feel better. Many who love to attack traditions fall into this category more than they care to admit.

JeMar
06-30-2009, 06:49 AM
It may be my favorite part of Wimbledon.

I usually wear all-white on the second day of tournaments.

adlis
08-04-2009, 04:03 PM
It may be my favorite part of Wimbledon.

I usually wear all-white on the second day of tournaments.

You know that Wimbledon is a tennis tournament right, not a fashion show?

JeMar
08-04-2009, 04:15 PM
You know that Wimbledon is a tennis tournament right, not a fashion show?

Then why don't sports teams all wear the same color? After all, white is the most effective color to wear when you're out in the sun.

There's nothing wrong with bringing a little class to tennis.

red7flag
08-04-2009, 05:53 PM
There is a club outside of Washington that does not even allow any any color in stripes, collars, or headbands. I heard they repremanded a member for having a pink clip in her hair. It used to be like that at Wimby too.
Tony

EtePras
08-04-2009, 06:31 PM
This is why I respect Wimbledon the most of any tournament. White is simply the most superior color of all, and it is just fitting that it matches with the greatest tennis tournament.

MajinX
08-04-2009, 06:40 PM
look the same=white

use your brain Einstein

use ur brains and eyes.... show me one picture of one tennis player at wimbledon that looks like hes a prison inmate.

jamesblakefan#1
08-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Why are non white outfits banned at wimbledon?

RACISM.

lol jkjk don't get all mad. ;)

JeMar
08-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Why are non white outfits banned at wimbledon?

RACISM.

lol jkjk don't get all mad. ;)

At first I was like:

http://paulfite.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/al-sharpton.jpg

But then I was like:

http://thebiggestliarwins.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/al_sharpton_thumb.jpg