PDA

View Full Version : oldest male player to turn pro?

Exia
06-28-2006, 06:08 PM
just brousing the atp rankings and come across this http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/default2.asp?playersearch=Sam+Warburg&x=23&y=12

makes him 21/2.a wannabe college player that went down 6-0 6-2 on the first round of qualifying(!) for wimbledon 2006.

Thomas Blake 22 (related to james?)

Amone
06-28-2006, 06:14 PM
His brother, you know, the one with the hair?

Exia
06-28-2006, 06:17 PM
cant be. i saw him yesterday at wimbledon he is way to fat to be him

KBalla08
06-28-2006, 06:30 PM
cant be. i saw him yesterday at wimbledon he is way to fat to be him
uh ya that is him, he said something about not playing challengers and those tourneys nemore... so maybe he let loose and gained a few lbs

dubsplayer
06-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Thomas fat? That's a shocker. I've seen him a zillion times. Freakishly tall and really skinny. Can't imagine it's even possible he could get fat.

edberg505
06-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Benedikt Dorsch, the Baylor stand out and NCAA 2005 singles champ qualified for the Wimbledon main draw but went out in straights to Xavier Malisse. He is 25.

EclipseRydr97
06-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Sam Warburg was the tennis god of NorCal in the juniors a few years back. He dominated every division in which he played as well as just about each tournament. I hope he improves his ranking, I would like to see him high up there.

dukemunson
06-29-2006, 09:34 AM
Wont crack the top 150...great return of serve and really solid backhand but his forehand is weak, volleys are nothing special and his serve doesnt give him any free points...tough to make it beyond great college and challenger level player with that combination...

LN_Dad
06-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Benedikt Dorsch, the Baylor stand out and NCAA 2005 singles champ qualified for the Wimbledon main draw but went out in straights to Xavier Malisse. He is 25.
I'd bet Dorsch played professional club level tennis in germany which technically makes him a pro long before this year.:mrgreen:

AndrewD
06-29-2006, 09:37 PM
I'd bet Dorsch played professional club level tennis in germany which technically makes him a pro long before this year.:mrgreen:

Which would put him in the good company of Ben Becker and Benjamin Kohlloeffel LOL. I've always wondered how someone who is on record as saying he never thought about playing college tennis (Kohlloeffel) and competed in a lot of pro events before being recruited could have still been an amateur. Seems totally illogical that, if you had no thoughts of college, you wouldn't be playing for money and points.

dukemunson
06-30-2006, 08:54 AM
All the top guys in college (especially the foreigners with the club tennis) have taken money for tennis, its basically just understood and accepted (or at least in no way enforced). Guy wins an Open in SoCal taking home 2 thousand dollars whats he going to do, refuse it? Only guy I ever heard of getting caught was Harsh Mankad but he had taken something like 40k over a 2 year period and was at the time the #1 guy in NCAA's.

Aykhan Mammadov
06-30-2006, 10:30 AM
This is old info. I'm 40 and I'm going to turn pro next year.

LN_Dad
06-30-2006, 06:03 PM
This is old info. I'm 40 and I'm going to turn pro next year.
Really? Why next year? If you're that good then why not this year?

Feņa14
06-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Alexander Waske was 25 when he turned pro.

wyutani
06-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Alexander Waske was 25 when he turned pro.

why is this so? why did he turn pro at such a late age. i mean his career will last another 4-5 years maybe???

chrisdaniel
06-30-2006, 11:54 PM
you all do know that anyone at any givin time can become pro right???

but do you have the money to travel to japan,australia,london,south america,canada...will you win?? in the wild card draws ofcoarse... three draws in all futures and challengers... the main draw,the qualifing draw,and the Wild card tournament thats usually a few days before the other two...its hard,its still a sport for the rich for these reason...child prodigies at the age of 17 usually breeze through these levels and quickly break the top 200..but while a player may be ranked 800 or 1400..these futures events are intense...

I wanted to be a top player when i was younger...Im good,a 5.0 player...but im a 7.0 (pro)Musician...haha..and this industry,along with acting,and comedy,is just as rough..in tennis if your great,your great and you will probley,maybe win...in music if you great,its just an opinion and does not mean much..anyways,good luck to all who want to pursue tennis as a carreer..every industry is a mountain,and agassi (tennis)and bono(music)
are at the top...to get up there you must go through a journey that will sometimes make you feel like you are frodo from lord of the rings trying to just destroy that damm ring..I respect all at the top...most have worked so hard to get there.......

jaggy
07-01-2006, 05:01 AM
Actually the rules are enforced although maybe loosely, I know an Australian who cannot compete his first year of college because he accepted prize money, basically the NCAA cut his eligibility from 4 to 3 years.

Feņa14
07-01-2006, 05:20 AM
why is this so? why did he turn pro at such a late age. i mean his career will last another 4-5 years maybe???

I'm not too sure actually. I believe it may be that he went to University before deciding to turn pro.

I suppose he wanted a safety net incase things didn't work out as a pro?

maverick66
07-01-2006, 06:18 AM
All the top guys in college (especially the foreigners with the club tennis) have taken money for tennis, its basically just understood and accepted (or at least in no way enforced). Guy wins an Open in SoCal taking home 2 thousand dollars whats he going to do, refuse it? .

they write it off as expenses making it legal with the ncaa. look at all the futures inside the U.S in the summer its all college kids.

also y make fun of a guy turning pro later in his life.there is so many late bloomers who dont do much on tour until later in there career not everyone is gonna be unbelievable at 17.

LN_Dad
07-01-2006, 10:07 AM
I believe he spent a few years playing DivI here in the states and then started playing doubles on the ATP tour.

incredholt
07-01-2006, 10:16 AM
waske played 4 years at san diego state