PDA

View Full Version : Confusion regarding swing weights

TennisBoy
07-10-2004, 10:01 PM
I am abit confused with the definition of swing weight of the tennis specs. The tenniswarehouse definition has it as "Measure of how heavy a racquet feels when swung, i.e. maneuverability. Also known as Moment of Inertia or Second Moment". I am not sure i see the correlation between how heavy a ball feels and maneuverability of the racquet, although I have found that racquets with lower swing weights are not as manuverable.

Also, does swing weights have anything to do with how "freely" a racquet swing through the air. I notice some racquets with high swing weights such as the prestige, diablo, and other players racquets have high swing weights and can be swung smoothly even though its wait is high. This as opposed to playing with an oversize, which i am accustom to, and not finding the racquet swing as smooth through the air.

Any advice will be appreciate. Thanks.

rich s
07-11-2004, 06:01 AM
Swingweight/Inertia - A body's ability to resist change to angular velocity.

As Isaac Newton said it - a body in motion tends to stay in motion a body at rest tends to stay at rest.

A racquet with a high swingweight will be harder to get started moving but will plow thru a ball once you get it moving.

A racqeut with a low swingweight will be easier to get moving but will not plow thru a ball as well as a frame with higher swingweight. It will be more maneuverable than a higher s/w racquet and will "feel" lighter when you swing it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "freely"

rich

Steve Huff
07-11-2004, 06:27 AM
Think of the racket as a rod with some weights on it. It's laying on a flat surface. You grab the end where there are no weights and try to rotate your wrist to lift the weights off the surface. If the weights are at the far end from your hand, it will be more difficult to lift them than if the weights are near your hand. So, the BALANCE affects swingweight. Add and extension to the rod and move the weights out even further. It's even more difficult to lift. So, LENGTH affects swingweight. Add more weight on the rod. No matter where you put the ADDITIONAL weight, it will become more difficult to lift. So, WEIGHT affects swingweight. A tennis racket is a simple lever with the handle being the fulcrum. Putting more weight in the head (head heavy), adding length, or just making the racket heavier will increase the swingweight. Moving the weight toward the handle, decreasing the length of the racket and making the racket lighter will decrease swingweight. A 9.0 oz racket may have a higher swingweight than a 12.0 oz racket then, only if more of it's weight is in the head and/or the racket is longer. Hope this helps.

tennis tech
07-13-2004, 10:50 AM
Check the specification, STRUNG or UNSTRUNG little detail but sometimes we do not put attention in this and it could be something about 13-17 units