PDA

View Full Version : how do you get sponsored

heydude
07-10-2004, 10:53 PM
how do you get sponsored in tennis. Are there different companies that offer sponserships to lower ranked players. As a junior how high do you have to be to get a sponsorship of any sort.

brijoel
07-10-2004, 11:11 PM
helps to win some tournaments, and get your name well known. i dont think there is any particular rank you hafta be, but you wont get one being some hack. not to mention you prolly wouldnt get a full on sponsorship till a pro level. i know many guys who are sponsored and all they get is a discount on their racquets.....

Nikeman0092
07-11-2004, 04:29 AM
One of my friend is sponsored by wilson and every year he pays like 300 dollars and gets a new bag and 3 racquets of whatever he liked.

dantyem108
07-11-2004, 05:40 AM
thats not a great deal, i would rather save the $300 and get whatever rackets I wanted, IMHO

Steve Huff
07-11-2004, 06:29 AM
He probably already used Wilson and sought a Wilson sponsorship. I doubt very seriously that Wilson came looking for him.

Power Game
07-11-2004, 07:19 AM
If you are good, you can join Team Wilson or Team Head or whatever. Most companies will give big discounts or free stuff

X-45 Corp.
07-11-2004, 08:01 AM
Sponsorship of players is usually made by the marketing and promotions division of racquet and clothing companies. Basically you have to apply through the company (usually on the website) and see if they will do it. High rank is important as a junior, but potential, numberr of tournaments, level of tournaments, et cetera all play in. Also, your geographic area has something to do with it.

As a former sponsored player, I can tell you that the exposure you bring to the product is most important.

Like all companies, at X-45 we have several types of sponsorship. Volkl, Head, Babolat and Fischer are similar. Wilson and Prince usually only give you preferred player pricing.

At X-45 we sponsor and pay endorsement fees to high ranked pros and coaches. In exchange they have exclusive agreements with us and a negotiated contract.

Our next level is National Team level. This sponsorship gives the player or coach two or three free frames, bags, strings and clothing. The player may purchase up to 6 additional frames for personal use only at a preferred price, and accessories at discount. The player signs a contract to use company products exclusively, agrees to make appearances at clinics and for sales calls as required and must keep strings stenciled with company logo at all times.

The lowest level is preferred player. This comes in many ways. Babolat, Head, Volkl and Fischer provide college player and coach packages. For what amounts to the dealer price of the frames the player and coach get 3 racquets, a racquet bag, several sets of strings, vibration dampeners, t-shirts, hats and sometimes shoes. Head has a minimum 4 racquet package which costs about $400.

That's how they work. Most companies go through their local or regional sales rep to find or get players to sponsor. If you are serious you should look up the local rep (you can find out who that is from your local pro shop) give them a call and see if you have a shot.

Tom Kosinski
X-45 Corp.
Director of Player Services and Technical Operations

dantyem108
07-11-2004, 09:04 AM
what is the minimum age companies usually give contracts to?

BSousa
07-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Talking as a marketer and nothing else here are my thoughts...

Playing well is a must. You don't need to be the top, but you should be able to reach a couple finals in tournies.

Now, which kind of sponsorship you want???

Money for equipment from the butcher down the street? Then ask your mom and she can probably network a bit :)

The Pro shop??? Well, win a few tournies and you may get lucky..

But here is what I think is the most important thing, and it isn't winning. ATTITUDE!

No matter what, companies are more interested on people watching you than trophies you win. No matter what is the matches that feature the regional champ have 2 spectators, versus your matches in the quarter finals that you will lose that gather 100, companies will go for you. This is just common sense.

If you really want to stand out, try doing something. Acrobatic play, being a loud mouth (people like this, but some family friendly companies don't), do breakdance moves everytime you win a point. Sing the opera at the end of every match, I seriously don't care, if you do it, they will come, and with the spectators, interest from companies.

dantyem108
07-11-2004, 12:34 PM
are you talking about USTA tournaments mostly?

David Pavlich
07-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Most of the reps I talk to say that state rankings mean little. For instance, a top 20 junior in a section (South, Florida, etc.) can apply for a preferred player, which, as already explained, gives this person a certain amount of equipment at dealer prices.

A top 20 nationally ranked junior will attract a lot of attention and may get a full sponsorship.

In other words, you have to play a lot of tournaments away from home and do very well if you expect to be sponsored.

David

BaselineAce
07-12-2004, 12:54 PM
Check out manufacturers' websites. They usually have some information and/or a contact e-mail address.