PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comment by Federer

Verbal_Kint
06-29-2006, 10:00 AM
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2006-06-28/200606281151518767171.html

Roger sais in this:
Q. There was a stat the other day saying that you went from 70% serving and volleying to 14% last year. Do you have any comment on that?
ROGER FEDERER: I guess I improved my baseline game (smiling), and my volleying is nonexistent.
No, I don't know. Look, it came it's an evolution throughout the years I've done. I came to the conclusion for me, for my game, it was better to stay back a little bit more often. What started for me, I think if more guys would be serving and volleying these days, I would be serving and volleying more often, too. So often I play the game my opponent plays and I want to beat them at their game. It happens also that I play more from the baseline. It's kind of funny, but that's how my game works.

Q. Everyone seems to agree you have the best game in tennis. Why would you change it to play an opponent on their terms?
ROGER FEDERER: Uhm, I've always been doing that my whole career. Basically, if a guy plays from the baseline, I play, too, from the baseline. If he plays from the net, I also come to the net. It's just something about it.
But, uhm, why? I don't know. That's just me.

Although this obviously works for him at Wimbledon, could this tactic be the reason he loses to Nadal? Roger doesn't have the strokes or the body to play Nadal's game IMO and I couldn't for the life of me understand why he didn't come to net more in the RG final a few weeks ago.. Your thoughts?

Dedans Penthouse
06-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Welkom terug, Marnix!

Moose Malloy
06-29-2006, 10:21 AM
these comments say it all:

"So often I play the game my opponent plays and I want to beat them at their game."

"Basically, if a guy plays from the baseline, I play, too, from the baseline. If he plays from the net, I also come to the net. It's just something about it.
But, uhm, why? I don't know. That's just me."

Roger Federer doesn't know why, its "just him."

We should accept that analysis & move on. It does make all our of thoughts/opinions seem rather silly. Tennis is a very simple game after all.

Dedans Penthouse
06-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Beating a guy "at his own game" is a stategy that was mentioned in a book "Match Play and the Spin of the Ball" by Bill "Jacko" Tilden.

Tilden maintained that strategy could sometimes run contrary to the long-established notion of simply attacking your opponent's weakness. It was the champion chickenhawk's contention that if you could break down an opponent's STRENGTH (e.g. a forehand), the guy would then have nothing left to stand on and he would be, at that point, psychologically shattered.

After he established that point, Tilden was then observed entering the Chelsea Hotel at 1:15 a.m. with an unidentified 13 year old male.

bdawg
06-29-2006, 11:03 AM
i personally think that's a dumb strategy. If you chip and charge against Nadal , I think Federer has a chance. He can compete against Nadal on clay on the baseline, but I don't think he can do it throughout three sets. That's why he always wins one set against Nadal. If Federer wins one set against Nadal from the baseline , he could mix it up and win a few more from the net. That mentallity could have made him win Roland Garros.

fastdunn
06-29-2006, 11:17 AM
I sometimes do it to have mental edge over my opponent.
He shows some nice move/shots. I show him some of mine
too giving message "See ? I can do that too..."

Golden Retriever
06-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Thats why he is so tough to beat. He is the Chameleon of tennis. He doesn't have a pattern to be read.

Verbal_Kint
06-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the welcome Dedans..

I can see why he does it, and beating your opponents strength is of course the ultimate psychological kill, but it you can't beat his strength(s) you should attack the weaknesses IMO..

VolklVenom
06-29-2006, 02:39 PM
This is Fedrerer gamesmanship. Don't read too much into the statement made. Sounds like a "throw-away line" to me.
The reason why it seems as though he plays his opponents game, is because Federer doesn't want to be predictable. He doesn't want his game plans to be obvious to anybody.
Hence why he doesn't S&V all the time.

Max G.
06-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Makes sense to me...

Federer's a good baseliner; it's his preferred game.

But against an S&V player, Federer wants to take away the net, to prevent them from being able to play THEIR game - and so he serves and volleys too.

I can see the logic in that.

fastdunn
06-29-2006, 02:58 PM
But he doesn't really S&V against S&Vers.
I agree with "throw away line".
He is being protective about his strategy or something like that...

Bassus
06-29-2006, 06:18 PM
i personally think that's a dumb strategy. If you chip and charge against Nadal , I think Federer has a chance. He can compete against Nadal on clay on the baseline, but I don't think he can do it throughout three sets. That's why he always wins one set against Nadal. If Federer wins one set against Nadal from the baseline , he could mix it up and win a few more from the net. That mentallity could have made him win Roland Garros.

When asked about that after the match (French final) Federer basically said that it was easier said than done, that he wanted to go the net more often (like he did in the Rome final), but that the opportunity rarely presented itself.

On the one hand, he may have been right. It is hard to hit a good enough approach shot against Nadal to make coming to the net a high percentage play, but on the other hand, I'm sure there were opportunities there that Federer just didn't take advantage of. And even if there wasn't many good chances, maybe he should have risked it anyway. I mean, what's the difference between getting passed and shanking yet another backhand about ten feet out of bounds? At least in coming to the net he'd make Nadal do something other than simply hit it to his backhand.

Alexandros
06-29-2006, 06:50 PM
I mean, what's the difference between getting passed and shanking yet another backhand about ten feet out of bounds?

Well... getting passed makes your opponent look better than you whereas shanking backhands all over the place allows you to say that you were off your game.

Tennis_Goodness
06-29-2006, 08:51 PM
Professional tennis players aren't worried about that lmao, they just want to win the match!

Freedom
06-29-2006, 09:25 PM
He is the Chameleon of tennis.

Nice. :cool:

Federer beats everyone senseless from the baseline anyway, so why would he Serve & Volley? It's easy enough for him to just play out a 4-ball rally and be done with it.

Matthew
06-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Well no one can mimic Nadal's game. Not to see that he has an unbelievable game necessarily, but that it is extremely unique.

Maybe something was "lost in translation" here and we are getting the wrong idea. How often did he come in to net v Henman?

HyperHorse
06-30-2006, 02:28 AM
I just think he's playing around... Trying not to give too much away...
Comments in post match interviews are as much a part of sports psychology as much as anything you do to mentally prepare yourself on or off the court...

TheNatural
07-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Seems Nothing has changed.

Is Fed losing too often to Nadal because Nadal plays instinctive tennis while Fed plays reactive tennis vs Nadal?

Fed probably never chipped and charged on serve return at Wimbledon 08 because he never saw Nadal do it.

I think Fed needs to start playing more instinctive tennis if he wants to have a better shot in Wimbledon 08. Perhaps this loss will finally give him a reason to improve and change his ways. I think he can come up with a better plan than just mimicking Nadal and continuing to lose.

matchmaker
07-12-2008, 06:44 PM
I find that a pretty stupid strategy from Federer. So know he will have to develop a 5000rpm forehand to beat Nadal.

BTW even though he says this I think reality contradicts him. It is his inability to really implement a claycourt game that keeps him away from the RG crown.

ExPro1963
07-14-2008, 07:19 AM
I find that a pretty stupid strategy from Federer. So know he will have to develop a 5000rpm forehand to beat Nadal.

BTW even though he says this I think reality contradicts him. It is his inability to really implement a claycourt game that keeps him away from the RG crown.

Yes. RF can beat everybody else at their own game but he cant beat RN. The top pro's from my era( McEnroe, Connors, Wilander, Becker, Stich etc )were real good at changing their games, RF seems unable to do that. McEnore for example used to lose to someone like Vilas a lot but he started to beat Vilas on a regular basis when he started staying back and mixing things up. We all knew he could do it but he never had confidence in his ground stokes to the point where he could trade shots for 15-20. Its fine to say that you like to beat guys at their own game, if you're able to do so when it matters otherwise it just seems like a pretty silly statement, assuming he meant it of course.

fastdunn
07-14-2008, 09:34 AM
I think one of our TWers, "tricky" put it nicely: Federer dismantles his opponents game plan. Then he completely destroy the confused opponent.

But if he can't dismantle his opponent, he goes onto 5 set and lose....

carlos djackal
07-14-2008, 09:55 AM
If he just develop his S&V game and not allow "evolution" to take its course he would have been still the champ........

TheTruth
07-14-2008, 10:19 AM
I think Fed spoke the truth. While watching the match that was the first thing that came to mind. Nadal never hits a ball without a purpose. He's setting his shots up all along. Federer reacts to what he's given. But the puppet master pulls the strings. It may work with some players, but not a master tactician.

Satch
07-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Federer has much more chance against Nadal from the base than coming to the net, so i think that he should cut that net game to even less %.

he is one of the best baseliners ever, and not nearly as good volleyer so...

can you imagine how hard is to hit a volley against Nadals strokes? so much spin, pace ect, even Sampras would lose :D