PDA

View Full Version : Tennis is 20 times more popular in UK than in the US

MaxT
06-29-2006, 11:34 AM
"During Wimbledon, 12 million British residents -- 20 percent of the nation -- will watch a Henman watch on the BBC. As a point of comparison, less than 3 million Americans recently watched the French Open Federer-Nadal final."

That is about 1/4 of the people watching in the U.S. than in UK.

Noting that the U.S. has about 5 times more people, this makes Tennis about 20 times more popular in UK than in the US.

What is the reason? The deception that Golf is also a sport, which allowed a lot of lazy people pretend to be athelets.

malakas
06-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Don't judge by only Wimbledon period.Most British become tennis fans during Wimby.But during the rest of the year,they don't play or follow tennis at all.

punch
06-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Plus it was Henman, one of the all-time favorite Brit tennis players and the one with most success in this present time...not a valid comparison.

simi
06-29-2006, 11:46 AM
One of the funniest lines in the movie "Wimbledon" was uttered by the hotel concierge just after he wished the British finalist good luck as he was leaving the hotel for the match, "And I don't even like tennis."

ED_4.6HSE
06-29-2006, 11:48 AM
When england won the rugby world cup we were all rugby fans, won the Ashes all cricket fans, when henman was reaching semi's all tennis fans. A few weeks later its all forgotten and all anyone talks about is football ;)

There have been snooker finals which have had bigger audiences than that but how many here actually play snooker?

malakas
06-29-2006, 11:50 AM
When england won the rugby world cup we were all rugby fans, won the Ashes all cricket fans, when henman was reaching semi's all tennis fans.

Makes one wonder why you actually are football fans!!:mrgreen:
j/k

Moose Malloy
06-29-2006, 11:53 AM
"During Wimbledon, 12 million British residents -- 20 percent of the nation -- will watch a Henman watch on the BBC.

20 percent of the US doesn't tune in to watch any sport in the US. We aren't dictated by nationalism(for Henman) or fanaticism like Europeans to soccer.

Yes the Superbowl is popular, but that is only one day of the entire year.
And many could care less, the ratings aren't as big compared to Wimbledon or the World Cup. There is no one event/2 week period in any sport that the entire country cares about in the US comparable to Wimbledon in England or World Cup in Europe.

I think that's healthy, its strange that an entire country/continent is so obsessed that everyone is sitting in front of the TV watching a game.

And don't kid yourself about golf, it is huge in Europe. They have their european tour & the prize money is much higher than tennis. More prize money=more popular sport. I wonder what the ratings of the British Open are like in the UK.

BabolatFan
06-29-2006, 12:31 PM
MaxT, I don't think it's necessarity true. I don't know where u got your facts. Tennis is very popular here in the US addition to NBA, MLB, PGA, NFL, etc., Especially here in So Cal tennis is huge. It's a huge participatory sport...maybe not be a big spectator sport.
You must not play tennis that often, huh?

Feņa14
06-29-2006, 12:35 PM
People just watch the tennis as they think everyone else is, so they believe it is the "in thing"

If you tell most people that there are tennis tournaments other than Wimbledon, they would laugh at you.

MaxT
06-29-2006, 12:54 PM
MaxT, I don't think it's necessarity true. I don't know where u got your facts. Tennis is very popular here in the US addition to NBA, MLB, PGA, NFL, etc., Especially here in So Cal tennis is huge. It's a huge participatory sport...maybe not be a big spectator sport.

It is quoted from CBS Sports, today. Any of this incorrect?

I play a lot of tennis, but in the office, you can only talk about NBA, Baseball, etc. It is rare to fine someone to talk about tennis. Sadly.

sureshs
06-29-2006, 12:56 PM
I think there are many more recreational players in the US. The weather in the UK is not that great.

d_frank
06-29-2006, 02:05 PM
"During Wimbledon, 12 million British residents -- 20 percent of the nation -- will watch a Henman watch on the BBC. As a point of comparison, less than 3 million Americans recently watched the French Open Federer-Nadal final."

Noting that the U.S. has about 5 times more people, this makes Tennis about 20 times more popular in UK than in the US.

What is the reason? The deception that Golf is also a sport, which allowed a lot of lazy people pretend to be athelets.
True, but thats basically comparing apples to oranges. Try US population watching the US Open vs British population watching Wimbledon. Perhaps it wont be the same, or even that close, but probably more than 3 million viewers.

VolklVenom
06-29-2006, 02:08 PM
It is quoted from CBS Sports, today. Any of this incorrect?

I play a lot of tennis, but in the office, you can only talk about NBA, Baseball, etc. It is rare to fine someone to talk about tennis. Sadly.

That truely is sad, considering it's the home of players like John McEnroe, the late great Vitas Gerilitus (not spelt right?) and others.

fastdunn
06-29-2006, 02:11 PM
I think there are many more recreational players in the US. The weather in the UK is not that great.

Ha ha ha. Don't be mean to people in region with less blessed weather.

In addition, not all reas of US is blessed with weather like California.

Anyway, I agree with you at least within California.
There's just too many tennis courts available and many casual players
all year long. I never had planed a tennis match and canceled due to rain.
I bet 90% of players in public park do not exaclty know about Federer
or Nadal.

VolklVenom
06-29-2006, 02:11 PM

MaxT, I like your definition of golf enthusiasts; It's so true!

Rhino
06-29-2006, 02:14 PM
20 percent of the US doesn't tune in to watch any sport in the US. We aren't dictated by nationalism(for Henman) or fanaticism like Europeans to soccer.

And many could care less, the ratings aren't as big compared to Wimbledon or the World Cup. There is no one event/2 week period in any sport that the entire country cares about in the US comparable to Wimbledon in England or World Cup in Europe.

I think that's healthy, its strange that an entire country/continent is so obsessed that everyone is sitting in front of the TV watching a game.

And don't kid yourself about golf, it is huge in Europe. They have their european tour & the prize money is much higher than tennis. More prize money=more popular sport. I wonder what the ratings of the British Open are like in the UK.
If I hadn't just come back from a great day at Wimby, I'd get stuck into this ridiculous post. But I'm on a high and and I'm tired, so I can't be bothered. I'll just simply say that time and time again you spout off the most badly thought out, ludicrously incorrect excuse for factual 'contributions' to this board. It actually amazes me that one person can be so utterly out of touch with the world, it's people and it's sports. You litterly stagger me with your lack of knowledge and your understanding of reality. It's like you sometimes actually take things that are true and correct and just type the opposite of them. etc, etc, etc.....

AAAA
06-29-2006, 05:03 PM
If I hadn't just come back from a great day at Wimby, I'd get stuck into this ridiculous post. But I'm on a high and and I'm tired, so I can't be bothered. I'll just simply say that time and time again you spout off the most badly thought out, ludicrously incorrect excuse for factual 'contributions' to this board. It actually amazes me that one person can be so utterly out of touch with the world, it's people and it's sports. You litterly stagger me with your lack of knowledge and your understanding of reality. It's like you sometimes actually take things that are true and correct and just type the opposite of them. etc, etc, etc.....

Don't be surprised. When 'Moose' can write such howlers like

Chang had plenty of power to beat Courier, Sampras, Agassi, Ivanisevic.'

then what he wrote above is unusually mild, for him.

bio
06-29-2006, 05:31 PM

more prize money does not mean more popular, MORE PRIZE MONEY MEANS MORE RICH PEOPLE ENDORSE THE SPORT

oh and im so sorry that a continent like europe is addicted to sports almost as much as the US is addicted to fast food.

matty p
06-29-2006, 11:13 PM

if the people in the US arent sittin on their couches watchin sport, how come the majority of them are fat?

spaceman_spiff
06-30-2006, 03:36 AM

I can't believe no one has spotted the serious flaws in this argument.

First of all, in Britain, Wimbledon matches are shown from 12:00 until almost 9:00, when it gets dark a little too dark to play. Henman's matches are usually shown later, in prime time, on BBC1. So, in other words, his matches are on the country's biggest channel in prime time.

In the US, depending on where you live, the match is being shown either 5, 6, 7, or 8 hours earlier (and that's not even taking into account Alaska or Hawaii) for Wimbledon or 6, 7, 8, or 9 hours earlier for the French Open, so the matches are hardly in prime viewing hours. Also, the first week of these tournament have very little coverage, with viewers having to pray that ESPN decides to show a little bit of it, so of course ratings will be low.

Also, you have to consider the fact that Britain did not have any good players for quite some time, and Henman was still their only one. So, that's why the public was so interested in watching him in particular.

Being from the US and now living in England, I can tell you that a lot more Americans play tennis because of the easier access to courts.

a guy
06-30-2006, 04:02 AM
Britain only has any interest in tennis during the 2 weeks of wimbledon. Ask em on Henman hill who the french open champion is and they wouldn't have a clue most of em.

Feņa14
06-30-2006, 04:10 AM
Britain only has any interest in tennis during the 2 weeks of wimbledon. Ask em on Henman hill who the french open champion is and they wouldn't have a clue most of em.

Too true. Most of them probably wouldn't even kno what the French Open is :)

Totally agree about the lack of access to courts, where I play they are on a hockey pitch that remains a hockey pitch from September to May so I only get the chance to play for a few months a year. That is if you can find anyone to play with.

I just have to fulfil my tennis needs by watching.

chess9
06-30-2006, 04:27 AM

So. Cal. and Florida are big exceptions. Tennis is on the decline in the U.S. vs population growth.

With the huge increase in waistlines, most Americans are saying Barry WHO? And Rafael did what? And even more shocking, most Americans don't know Rinaldo from Geraldo. Rooney WHO?

Let's hope we get this mess turned around in the next 5 years.

-Robert

spaceman_spiff
06-30-2006, 04:32 AM
So. Cal. and Florida are big exceptions. Tennis is on the decline in the U.S. vs population growth.

With the huge increase in waistlines, most Americans are saying Barry WHO? And Rafael did what? And even more shocking, most Americans don't know Rinaldo from Geraldo. Rooney WHO?

Let's hope we get this mess turned around in the next 5 years.

-Robert

I grew up playing in Oklahoma and played for the last year in the DC area, and I can say there is a lot more interest in those places than here (I'm just outside London).

chess9
06-30-2006, 04:59 AM
I grew up playing in Oklahoma and played for the last year in the DC area, and I can say there is a lot more interest in those places than here (I'm just outside London).

England has a club system and not enough covered courts. Public courts are much rarer than in the U.S. Back home I can go to almost any city and find a court within 15 minutes of where I'm staying. Also, I'm not sure the LTA has done much for UK tennis in the last 10 years. With new management, let's hope that changes. The junior program has been sorely lacking in the UK even though the LTA funds a lot of junior players. In the States, no funding comes from the government (except for providing courts) or the tennis federations.

I will say I enjoy playing with the English because they are almost unfailingly polite. Also, cheating, in my experience (not great), seems almost non-existent. I've had guys call their own balls out. :) Celebrations are quite muted as well. They all raise eyebrows at my demonstrative *******ern outbursts. :)

-Robert

spaceman_spiff
06-30-2006, 06:25 AM
England has a club system and not enough covered courts. Public courts are much rarer than in the U.S. Back home I can go to almost any city and find a court within 15 minutes of where I'm staying. Also, I'm not sure the LTA has done much for UK tennis in the last 10 years. With new management, let's hope that changes. The junior program has been sorely lacking in the UK even though the LTA funds a lot of junior players. In the States, no funding comes from the government (except for providing courts) or the tennis federations.

I will say I enjoy playing with the English because they are almost unfailingly polite. Also, cheating, in my experience (not great), seems almost non-existent. I've had guys call their own balls out. :) Celebrations are quite muted as well. They all raise eyebrows at my demonstrative *******ern outbursts. :)

-Robert

What area do you play in? I've been playing in Luton (voted the crappest town in Britain), and I have seen a bit of the gamesmanship and cheating, though admittedly not a huge amount.

The thing that really surprizes me here is the way people won't give you your ball back when it goes over to their court. They have this very communal idea at this club when it comes to the ownership of balls, which wouldn't bother me at all if anyone else actually used decent balls, but they don't. On dead courts with a low bounce, they still use worn out old dead balls. But, whenever I buy a can of good ones (usually just Wilsons, since that's what the nearest sports shop sells), no one will give them back to me, even though they are clearly not theirs. They seem to think my good ball is equal to their 3 year old Slazenger practice ball, so they see it as an even swap. It drives me insane. These people have plenty of money to blow on rackets, clothes, and shoes, but they won't spare a couple of pounds to buy new balls from time to time.

I'm a hard courter; I need a high bounce. I hate playing matches in which people get aces when the ball bounces twice before it gets to the returner. I'm not exhagerating on that. When a hack slice server mishits one, there's not enough pace to make it to the baseline before the second bounce. The server is partially to blame, but the court deserves a lot of the blame too.

Anyways, I just felt like ranting.

MaxT
06-30-2006, 07:33 AM
I can't believe no one has spotted the serious flaws in this argument.

First of all, in Britain, Wimbledon matches are shown from 12:00 until almost 9:00, when it gets dark a little too dark to play. Henman's matches are usually shown later, in prime time, on BBC1. So, in other words, his matches are on the country's biggest channel in prime time.

In the US, depending on where you live, the match is being shown either 5, 6, 7, or 8 hours earlier (and that's not even taking into account Alaska or Hawaii) for Wimbledon or 6, 7, 8, or 9 hours earlier for the French Open, so the matches are hardly in prime viewing hours. Also, the first week of these tournament have very little coverage, with viewers having to pray that ESPN decides to show a little bit of it, so of course ratings will be low.

Also, you have to consider the fact that Britain did not have any good players for quite some time, and Henman was still their only one. So, that's why the public was so interested in watching him in particular.

Being from the US and now living in England, I can tell you that a lot more Americans play tennis because of the easier access to courts.

Spaceman, some of the points are taken. The U.S. has a lot of courts etc, well it has a lot of space. But it doesn't hide the fact that tennis is losing ground here.

Prime time TV is a resason, but we also have to think which is chicken which is egg. Tennis gets shown by ESPN10 at 2am, because it can't compete other prime sports, like poker, fishing, dadada.

raftermania
06-30-2006, 07:50 AM
3 people in Tahiti watched Santoro play in his brilliant second round marathon, which is like 90% of the population. That's like 9 times the amount of interest than Americans.

MaxT
06-30-2006, 09:16 AM
3 people in Tahiti watched Santoro play in his brilliant second round marathon, which is like 90% of the population. That's like 9 times the amount of interest than Americans.

Rafter,

You must have at least failed the geography class and the math class in school. How does this algebra work?

Fortunately you are Rafer, and you won that U.S. Open. You lucky you.

127mph
06-30-2006, 02:33 PM

thats because we in america have real sports such as basketball as opposed to cricket. holla

Feņa14
06-30-2006, 03:37 PM
thats because we in america have real sports such as basketball as opposed to cricket. holla

You tell that to Indians, Australians, Pakistanis, West Indians, South Africans, English men etc..

Tall men putting a ball in a hoop is thrilling! 5 days of pure tactical theatre played in the best spirits that brings Countries together means a whole lot more than Basketball does.

For poorer countries like India and Pakistan, cricket is a way of life.

People in all these countries probably believe that Cricket is more of a sport than Basketball is. I totally agree with them, all I see from Basketball players is violence, they are bad role models, and appear to only be in it for the women and to get a music career :confused:

Simon Cowell
06-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Cricket is probably the worst sport in the history of sports. Basketball is at least fast paced and very exciting in the playoffs.

Feņa14
06-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Cricket is probably the worst sport in the history of sports. Basketball is at least fast paced and very exciting in the playoffs.

Have you ever watched a whole Cricket match?

Simon Cowell
06-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Have you ever watched a whole Cricket match?

Yes, I watched an England-Australia match for the Ashes. It was absolutely awful, the sport itself seems like a stripped down, less technical version of baseball. A man running and throwing a ball at 3 sticks while another man tries to hit it with a flat bat is not that appealing to me. Everyone has different taste(s). Your comments on basketball were quite ignorant, though.

Feņa14
06-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Yes, I watched an England-Australia match for the Ashes. It was absolutely awful, the sport itself seems like a stripped down, less technical version of baseball. A man running and throwing a ball at 3 sticks while another man tries to hit it with a flat bat is not that appealing to me. Everyone has different taste(s). Your comments on basketball were quite ignorant, though.

And calling cricket a dumbed down version of baseball, and throwing a ball at 3 sticks wasn't? :rolleyes:

xtremerunnerars
06-30-2006, 06:43 PM
I'd love to see whoever talked about golf being a lazy sport get into a back alley with tiger woods. Sure you may not run much, but the amount of strength it takes to drive a ball 300+ yards, i guarentee you'll never have in your life. Tiger woods is an INCREDIBLE athlete.

so basically, watch what you say. Also, you can't rightfully say tennis is 20x more popular in the UK than the US. The only reason so many people watched tim henman is because YOU GUYS HAVE SUCKED AT WIMBLEDON FOR 90 YEARS! Also, is federer or nadal from the US? Last time i checked, nope.

sorry if it sounds like i'm trolling, but you're taking facts from obscure places that work in your favor.

d_frank
06-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Basketball is bad.

Simon Cowell
06-30-2006, 06:47 PM
so basically, watch what you say. Also, you can't rightfully say tennis is 20x more popular in the UK than the US. The only reason so many people watched tim henman is because YOU GUYS HAVE SUCKED AT WIMBLEDON FOR 90 YEARS! Also, is federer or nadal from the US? Last time i checked, nope.

The original post in this thread has severely flawed logic, don't waste your time.

127mph
07-01-2006, 12:35 PM
basketball is one of the hardest sports. imagine running all night and jumping when your 6'8 or 7'0. you have to shoot, drive to the rim and use all your mechanics. basketball and tennis are the hardest sports.

TXKiteboarder
07-01-2006, 01:45 PM
lets not compare which sport is better. If that it is the case, the WORLD sport is Soccer and last time i remember world is bigger than US.

And being american myself, I am hurt that we dont compete well in soccer or tennis like other olympic sports.

Fellow americans: please remember that in the last olympics, our basketball team SUCKED goosefeathers. Then we had that world baseball series: American teams SUCKED like cow farts...

Tennis doesnt do well because all these sports: NBA, NFL, MLB, and even NHL get more viewship and are well established. hell, even NASCAR is very popular these days. If you did a survey of tennis enthusiastic in U.S., it will have totally different result. What is the viewership of U.K. for Super Bowl? I dont care much about NFL, but even I watch with with friends.

Tennis is seen as a very preppy or "rich men" sports in america. Majority of Middle and lower class americans wont care for it.

Unless you went to big or rich high school, schools wont have tennis team nor a tennis court. Private lessons are very expensive. If you want to play tennis, you usually have to PAY Tennis Court Usage Fee or belong to a country club.

I know this first hand because I went through this. In my highschool, my tennis coach was directed to coach the track team instead of couple us guys/girls who wanted play and were pretty descent. I though about private lessons, but after looking at various brochures, I gave up.

================================================== ======
If i didnt play tennis back then (I played almost every day with friends in summer), I probably wouldnt be a tennis fan.

If you do another poll of people who watch and keep with tennis, 99% of them will say that they also play tennis.

================================================== ===

127mph
07-01-2006, 02:14 PM
any sport such as baseball, cricket, or golf where you can be fat and 40 years old and be considered a professional is not a legitimate sport.

Ultra2HolyGrail
07-01-2006, 02:27 PM
How popular is Football,Baseball,Basketball, Hockey in the uk? American kids like team sports more than tennis.

Ultra2HolyGrail
07-01-2006, 02:29 PM
any sport such as baseball, cricket, or golf where you can be fat and 40 years old and be considered a professional is not a legitimate sport.

Yes all sports you probably arent no good at..

127mph
07-01-2006, 05:35 PM
this is true, but i bet you qualify under the reasons for why i do not consider them sports.

Gilgamesh
07-01-2006, 05:37 PM

If an American was playing in the Finals the TV ratings would be much higher.

Gilgamesh
07-01-2006, 05:39 PM

Oh c'mon brother.

So I guess basketball is not a sport then since two of the greatest basketball players ever Kareem and MJ played when they were 40.

What about boxing and George Foreman?

arosen
07-01-2006, 06:21 PM
From what I have seen in UK and US, I have a feeling that tennis is played by many more people in the US. The courts are aplenty in the states, and they are free. Football is HUMANGOUS in UK. I could only wish for tennis to become half as popular. The movie called Fever Pitch sums up nicely what crazy nutheads limeys are when it comes to football. It's a way of life there for millions. A lot of people just totally lost it because of football.

TXKiteboarder
07-01-2006, 07:02 PM
the real reason: we have more options of entertainment and so many lovely things to do outside of the home.

just yesterday, couple of us went down to the lake for some wakeboarding drills.

Ultra2HolyGrail
07-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Oh c'mon brother.

So I guess basketball is not a sport then since two of the greatest basketball players ever Kareem and MJ played when they were 40.

What about boxing and George Foreman?

How about randy the natural couture in ultimate fighting challenge..40+ beating many word class younger fighters. Now retired though.