PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Safin??

jman
06-29-2006, 05:42 PM
I know Safin isn't really a grass court player, but this guy has so much potential, so great talent. I belive he is levelled with, or even better than Federer, talent wise. After he defeated Federer at AO 2005, i would have thought he would be in the top 5.
I know he places alot of pressure on himself and has been plagued by injury, but after so many years on the tour, being numero uno, and defeating the likes of Sampras, Agassi and Federer, you'd think he would be better than what he is today.
The top three should be Federer, Nadal, and Safin. What a group, would be as great as the days of Borg, Mac Enroe, Connors, and Gerulitas. I'm all for Safin, and hope he can impact during the US Hardcourt Season!!

Ztalin
06-29-2006, 05:50 PM
Not another "Safin's more talented than Federer, he just doesn't use his talent!" thread :rolleyes:

Safin is not more talented than Federer, period. I've seen both of them play many times. Safin is maybe the third most talented player on tour, yes, but there is a rather large gap between him and Federer.

Even when Safin played the match of his life at the Aussie Open, he still faced matchpoints against Fed. And rebound ace is a much more preferred surface for Safin than it is for Federer.

!Tym
06-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Safin's very, very, very talented for sure, but to me he's not actually THAT talented, as in all-time greatest level talent. He had hands of stone at net when he first came up and he still seems mechanical to me up there. What he has is superb hand eye coordination, more than anything that BOD. Quite simply, he's blessed with the body of a Greek God in tennis terms basically. He does not have the all-around "magic" and dexterity in his hands that Federer has in my opinion. Federer is like combining the hand-eye coordination of a Rios/Agassi with the racket head speed/speed of a Bruguera/Nadal with the mental toughness/arrogance of Sampras with the touch/junk of Santoro.

Safin on the other hand has a big serve, big returns, and big groundies. Yet, while his groundies are hard, precise, and flat, they do NOT have anywhere near the variety of spin, trajectory, and pace as Federer.

Safin's physique to me is what turns him from Davydenko to Davydenko on steroids.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
06-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Safin is indeed one of the most talented players on the tour...I am a huge safin fan, but even i have to admit that federer's potential is unreachable by anybody on the tour as of now...hes just too damn good. But i do believe that Safin is the 2nd most talented player on tour...

Bassus
06-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Talent level;

1. Federer
2. Safin
3. Too hard to say

Galactus
06-30-2006, 04:56 AM
Massive talent + zero-temperament = shot tennis player.

omniexist
06-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Brain says: "I don't know about you, but I'm outta here".

LowProfile
06-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Safin is maybe the third most talented player on tour, yes, but there is a rather large gap between him and Federer.

So who's the second? Santoro? Gasquet? Gaudio? Brad Gilbert? Ok that last one was a joke.

Really this subject was brought up about a year ago after Safin's fall from grace after the Australian Open due to injury. We all are in agreement that Safin has immense talent, but won't live up to his full potential until he becomes less of a headcase. Which doesn't look like it'll happen anytime soon. It's really too bad...

KBalla08
06-30-2006, 11:08 PM
So who's the second? Santoro? Gasquet? Gaudio? Brad Gilbert? Ok that last one was a joke.

Really this subject was brought up about a year ago after Safin's fall from grace after the Australian Open due to injury. We all are in agreement that Safin has immense talent, but won't live up to his full potential until he becomes less of a headcase. Which doesn't look like it'll happen anytime soon. It's really too bad...
ya when he beat federer last year, i was amazed at how well he played and that he wasnt the good ole safin we know and love. he also played like this when he beat sampras at the us open for his first GS... man if only he hadnt been such a headcase... hed have so many GS's...

superman1
06-30-2006, 11:11 PM
People say he's maybe more talented than Federer because even Fed hasn't put up some of the displays that Safin has in his career. Effortless, beautiful groundstrokes, and yet sometimes for no reason he hits the ball 5 feet long. It's the same reason why he sometimes screws up on overheads. Total lapses in concentration.

People talk about how Federer beat Sampras in 5 sets in 2001. Safin annihilated him in 2000. Even he admits that he will never play that well again in his life.

Tennis_Goodness
06-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Safin is good but Federer is quicker, has a better forehand, serve, volley, drop shot, is mentally tougher.

There's a reason why Federer is the greatest player to ever play the game in some peoples eyes.

Safin is in a whole other league, below Federer!

wyutani
06-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Safin is good but Federer is quicker, has a better forehand, serve, volley, drop shot, is mentally tougher.

There's a reason why Federer is the greatest player to ever play the game in some peoples eyes.

Safin is in a whole other league, below Federer!

safin just need to exercise more. anyway, he need to control his temper, concentrate more...lolz...his his physical game is ok but its the mental part which is killing him...

Marius_Hancu
07-01-2006, 02:06 AM
Intelligence is IMO part of the talent, and I am not sure Safin's too well endowed in that chapter. Just average.

You should've watched his match with Gonzo at the W, losing from 2 sets up, and not giving up on hitting flat on all critical balls, even when hitting long on 50% of them.

Controlling one's own power is part of the equation in tennis.

superman1
07-01-2006, 03:03 AM
I don't know how you judge someone's intelligence by how they play tennis. Safin in real life is an intelligent, funny guy. Even when he's doing interviews in English he's well spoken. And just because he sometimes breaks down doesn't mean he's not an intelligent tennis player. He's proven many times that he has a great tactical mind. Focus is his problem.