PDA

View Full Version : returning a serve close to the net??

dh003i
06-29-2006, 09:01 PM
I know the idea sounds incredibly crazy and ludicrous, but it would be interesting. Is it possible to return serve close to the net? Or is there a rule that players have to stand at or behind the baseline to return serve?

Ztalin
06-29-2006, 09:03 PM
I know the idea sounds incredibly crazy and ludicrous, but it would be interesting. Is it possible to return serve close to the net? Or is there a rule that players have to stand at or behind the baseline to return serve?

As long as the ball bounces, it's good.

spaceman_spiff
06-30-2006, 03:45 AM
I think the rule is that you have to allow a serve to bounce before you hit it.

I have played a social match against a lady that literally stands only a couple of feet behind the service box when returning. I thought she was joking, but my partner said she's always done that. I was trying to be friendly but hit a bit of a kick serve for my 2nd (without thinking, it just comes naturally). When the ball changed directions, she had no chance at returning it and muttered something about the ball being messed up. I didn't want to try to tell her that she might want to stand a little farther back.

Andres
06-30-2006, 05:32 AM
Do you think it's INTERESTING to half-volley a return of a 130 mph serve?
Suicidal to your arm, in my opinion...

OrangeOne
06-30-2006, 05:42 AM
Do you think it's INTERESTING to half-volley a return of a 130 mph serve?
Suicidal to your arm, in my opinion...

Why would half-volleying a 130 serve be any different to your arm than hitting it in the first place? Given that a 130 serve is going to loses pace through the air and during the bounce, it'd be even less impactive on the arm than serving it i'd think...

(and hey - i'm not recommending this practice as a whole, but just don't think the arm-logic holds up)

jaggy
06-30-2006, 05:58 AM
Peter Doohan who beat Becker in Wimbledon many years ago used to do that often, basically chipping and charging after close to a half volley service return

Moose Malloy
06-30-2006, 09:31 AM
paul annacone stood closer to the service box than anyone i've seen. not sure the guy actually hit more than 10 groundstrokes in his career.

Skppr05
06-30-2006, 09:34 AM
if your a character in prince of tennis it wouldn't sound to ludacris :cool:

LowProfile
06-30-2006, 09:58 AM
I suppose it would throw off the rhythm of your opponent if you did it on a crucial point, but I wouldn't recommend doing it regularly.

Chang did it to Lendl at the French in 87. Lendl double faulted by going for too much because he knew that if he babied it in, Chang would crush the serve return.

grizzly4life
06-30-2006, 10:06 AM
i was in a doubles tournament where i thought my partner and i were pretty overmatched.... so i figured i need to shake something up, so i did that..... it threw the opponents off and frankly it was pretty easy to make good returns. now, not sure how it would work in singles as you're leaving half the court wide open.... but worked like an absolute charm in doubles, and i didn't think it required too much hand/eye co-ordination (BTW, one of the opponents had a big serve, the other didn't)