PDA

View Full Version : Roddick outburst

BluDiamond
06-30-2006, 12:35 AM
"Roddick could scarcely have been more visibly impatient, arriving so soon after the previous match was over that the names of those earlier combatants were still on the scoreboard when he and Mayer began knocking up. His appetite for the match was established by an early delivery of 143mph, and he appeared unimpeded by playing with both ankles strapped.

The lateness of the hour made the grass slippery, and Roddick was not amused to suffer an ignominious fall at 2-3. "That's what happens when you put matches on when the sun goes down," he told the umpire. "The court gets slick and we all fall on our asses."

Roddick was in no mood to hang around against the 2004 Wimbledon quarter-finalist, breaking Mayer immediately at the start of the second set with a near-anguished cry of: "Yes!" He followed it with another break, congratulating himself with a round of applause, and generally looked so keen to finish the match, it was as if he could barely bring himself to sit down for each change over. Enjoying himself so much that he actually lobbed the 6ft 3in German, Roddick broke a third time to take the set 6-1.

The third set could not go quickly enough for him. Despite occasionally spectacular counter-play from Mayer, the American broke twice, and the entire match was over in 69 minutes. Blink and you missed it. Roddick practically sprinted off court. Job done.

Freedom
06-30-2006, 12:38 AM
That's hardly an outburst. That's just a display of big, power tennis. Running through a guy for three sets in barely over an hour...that's blazing fast.

brucie
06-30-2006, 12:39 AM
Wouldnt call it an outburst really!

Good for Roddick!

HyperHorse
06-30-2006, 01:20 AM
hahaha thats what i call an *** WHOOPIN....
about time Andy got his ***** into gear...
he needs to get that intensity back if he's gonna make a good run here,
and to put up any challenge against Roger...

pound cat
06-30-2006, 03:11 AM
Just imagine if Roddick had been playing Nadal..Nadal taking lots of time towelling off, arranging bottles, fixing socks, bouncing the ball, and Roddick pawing at the grass waiting for a serve. That would have been an impatient Roddick.

tangerine
06-30-2006, 07:26 AM
If that was an "outburst" I wish Andy would have more of them.

Rabbit
06-30-2006, 07:41 AM
Good for Roddick. He needs to rekindle the fire in the belly.

Matthew
06-30-2006, 07:45 AM
That must be the secret! If Roddick meets Federer in the final, they should just put the match on at 7:30!

zolo
06-30-2006, 07:46 AM
I saw that match also. Andy was great. I hope that he keep that fire.

BigboyDan
06-30-2006, 07:49 AM
Big match tomorrow against Murray.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Thats the A-rod we've seen the last two years at Wimbledon, he keeps this up he goes to the final( And maybe upends FedExpress);)

bluescreen
06-30-2006, 08:29 AM
he needs to do stuff like that more often, especially when considering how he played in that match and i wouldnt call it an outburst when he was absolutely right in his statement.

i think if he keeps up those "outbursts" and plays quickly we could see him in another final.

BHud
06-30-2006, 09:22 AM
Agree w/ Rabbit...Roddick needs to get his cocky attitude back...the feminization of Andy over the past 12 months is appalling. Drop LeCoste and get nasty!

TennisProPaul
06-30-2006, 09:52 AM
Agree w/ Rabbit...Roddick needs to get his cocky attitude back...the feminization of Andy over the past 12 months is appalling. Drop LeCoste and get nasty!

Yeah Roddick needs to drop the open mouth lizard line and go with Under Armour like Ginepri, but not play like Ginepri.

Rabbit
06-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Maybe he needs to go back with a visor? :)

In all seriousness, it seems to me that Roddick did exceptionally well at Wimbledon playing his game. He didn't win it against Federer and then decided that he had to get to net to win. Unfortunately for Roddick, his approach game is terrible. The majority of his aproaches are crosscourt which is the last thing you want to do when aproaching net. And, since he is not a natural net player, he gets passed one or two times and figures it isn't working. Martina Navratilova was told by Billie Jean King to never worry about getting passed. For an agressive player, the one pass sticks in your mind much more than the 10 winning volleys you've hit. You have to stay the course.

Anyway, Roddick has been all at sea since his experimentation with S/V IMO. In all seriousness, he needs to get his mojo back. He needs to quit thinking about how good Federer is and get p!ssed enough to knock the cover off the ball. He needs to start whaling on that forehand and running around that backhand and trying to set new first serve MPH records. It seems that when he had short sighted and shallow goals like that he actually did better.

The other pros have figured him out. Rather than improve his strengths, he's tried to rework his game. He's tried to rework it on the job rather than taking time off and learning it. He's definitely at a fork in the road and as anyone will tell you, when you come to a fork in the road, take it.

arosen
06-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Just imagine if Roddick had been playing Nadal..Nadal taking lots of time towelling off, arranging bottles, fixing socks, bouncing the ball, and Roddick pawing at the grass waiting for a serve. That would have been an impatient Roddick.

You forgot pulling the undies out of his buttcrack, that's part of Rafa's routine too. He knows how to play at his pace. Rafa v.s Andre. The slowest v.s the fastest. Cant wait.

KBalla08
06-30-2006, 02:00 PM
That must be the secret! If Roddick meets Federer in the final, they should just put the match on at 7:30!
ya thats what i was thinking... good for andy, he played so well. if he continues to play like this, hewitt will have no chance, seeing as hewitt went 5 sets with Lee...