PDA

View Full Version : Yen-Hsun Lu's Wilson Surge 5.0

Shaolin
02-19-2004, 04:02 PM
okay lets see who really knows their racquets....

I saw Lu hit at the Joplin challenger last week (which he won singles and doubles) and he was using the Surge. Anyone know if its the regular or long length?

I know pretty obscure player but hes one of the only pros using the Surge.

BreakPoint
02-19-2004, 11:04 PM
Nicholas Kiefer, and the Bryan brothers also use the Surge (or at least a paintjob of it).

Takumi Fujiwara
02-20-2004, 12:13 PM
I strung for Lu, and both Bob and Mike Bryan earlier in the year, and i can say that none of them use a real surge. If its the same "Lu" im thinking of. I dont remember exactly what his racquet was, but it was a box'y frame type racquet. I remember him stringing with Wilson Poly in the mains with Wilson Tour Gut in the cross..

The Bryan brothers were stringing with NRG2 1.22 (i think, will confirm later). Bob was stringing at between 62-63 and Mike was stringing between 56-58. Hope this helps fellas

ejch8456
02-20-2004, 04:50 PM
The bryan bros use a willson 5.0 stretch. I know this cuz i know the cousins of the Bryan Brothers.

guernica1
02-24-2004, 05:25 AM
Hey Shaolin I have been following Lu's career from afar for a while now what did you think of his game?

Shaolin
02-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Guerica--
I liked his game alot. I saw him play singles vs Yeu Tzoo Wang and doubles (w/Bruno Soares) vs Rik De Voest and Stephane Robert.

Good groundstrokes and overall game, pretty big serve but not huge (my friends that i went to the event with said that I serve bigger and I cant even get in to challengers). What I liked were his volleys, perfect is all I can say. his game isnt big enough to really be up there a lot but when he gets a nice approach or plays dubs, he's butter up there. Have you seen him play, or following his career b/c you know him? Not many people know who he is.

Its interesting, it really looked like he was hitting with the Surge. Head shape, beam everthing was the same, not just graphics.

guernica1
02-24-2004, 01:57 PM
Shaolin--
thanks for the reply.

I only know about him because he (and Wang) are Taiwanese, which is where my parents are from. These 2 were top 5 juniors in the world and I would love to see them top 100 or so. Bolletteri thinks Wang is a top 100 prospect within the next year or so. Never seen either one play but it'd be great for more Asians to make it, pave the way for the next generation.

Anyways, I remember Lu used to use the old Pure Control I think.

What did you think of Wang's game? From what I hear and read he is very solid but not much power.

atatu
02-24-2004, 02:22 PM
I saw him at the Austin Challenger last fall, and his frame looked like a Surge to me....

Shaolin
02-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Guernica--
They played VERY similar games, but mentally very different, and a bit better at the net and serving by LU. It was wierd, Wand was up a break first set (4-1 I believe), then Lu came back, took the first set and then Wang proceeded to show the worst body language Ive ever seen (worse than Rios in full "tank" mode) and went down 0-6 to Lu 2nd set. 2nd set went by in about 20 minutes maybe less.

When I saw that I didnt think much of Wang's game anymore, because at his size/power level, he's going to have to have Hewitt type mental toughness to be in the top 100-50 ATP.

I also noticed but didnt say before, return games from these guys both are exceptional.

guernica1
02-24-2004, 05:41 PM
Shaolin --
I think those two have some sort of weird rivalry going on even though they are basically the 2 man Davis Cup team for that country. I'm kind of fuzzy on this but a lot of their matches are blowouts from either side. Maybe they don't like each other.

Surprising because Wang was such a good junior reaching the finals of the US and Aussie juniors.

Along the way he beat guys like Soderling and Todd Reid both of whom are far more advanced.

Shaolin
02-24-2004, 09:21 PM
Yeah I was thinking it was a mental thing, the way he imploded. Wang was right at the same level with him until he lost the break of serve back, then just lost it mentally. I was thinking maybe Lu beat him all the time in juniors or something. Wang has a lot of good wins, I looked up his ATP results, but just lasks that monster weapon that you need to have really good results, but who knows...

Thanks for telling me that he was in the top 5 juniors, I didnt know that. Now I feel better about my game, LOL.

BTW I used to be on the Bab. team so I checked their old team newsletter and it said that Lu and Wang both used the VS Control, strung at 60. That was discontinued but I believe its similar to the PC Midplus.