PDA

View Full Version : Relocating to Phoenix

johnkidd
06-30-2006, 09:27 AM
I'm going to be moving to Phoenix later this year and was wondering if there is anyone here who lives there and could give me some advice on clubs and where to play etc. I'm a former college player (small school) and currently play 4.5 USTA. You can contact me at johnkidd31@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance.

PS-I know it's hot, I was there last week.

jamauss
06-30-2006, 11:20 AM
whoa, weird.

Me and my family are moving to Surprise, AZ (just outside of Phoenix) at the end of the month.

I have the same question. I know there's a huge tennis center in Glendale, but that's all I know so far. Glendale is right next to the city I'll be living in.

johnkidd
06-30-2006, 11:44 AM
whoa, weird.

Me and my family are moving to Surprise, AZ (just outside of Phoenix) at the end of the month.

I have the same question. I know there's a huge tennis center in Glendale, but that's all I know so far. Glendale is right next to the city I'll be living in.

What level do you play at?

Glendale is just west of downtown. We're looking in a area they call the Central Corridor which is just north of downtown. We also looked at a couple homes in what they call the Arrowhead area.

There are all kinds of clubs in Scottsdale as well.

Wildcard
06-30-2006, 01:18 PM
I would have to guess Phoenix has more tennis than anywhere in U.S. It is year round, sunny, with courts in excellent shape- no big crowds, and every playing level has freindly players. Your USTA SECTION is- SOUTHWEST

Call Sun Tennis magazine toll free (877) SUN-TENS or (602)242-5045 for a copy to get a start on valley of the sun tennis.
- also- Unstrung Racquets (Single Adults) www.unstrung-racquets.org
Traffic is crazy- but nothing beats a game, a convertible and a tan come February.:cool:

Wildcard
06-30-2006, 01:25 PM
I would have to guess Phoenix has more tennis than anywhere in U.S. It is year round, sunny, with courts in excellent shape- no big crowds, and every playing level has freindly players. Your USTA SECTION is- SOUTHWEST

Call Sun Tennis magazine toll free (877) SUN-TENS or (602)242-5045 for a copy to get a start on valley od the sun tennis.
- also- Unstrung Racquets (Single Adults) www.unstrung-racquets.org
Traffic and politics are crazy- but nothing beats a set and a tan come February.:cool:

tennis_nerd22
06-30-2006, 02:45 PM
wow this is good news. my family might be moving to the states, probably either this summer or next summer, and we were looking towards phoenix. less allergies, warm all year round, less hurricane chances (than our next choice: florida), and its only a 2 hour drive from a beach. great news that its big on tennis :D

HyperHorse
06-30-2006, 09:26 PM
wow this is good news. my family might be moving to the states, probably either this summer or next summer, and we were looking towards phoenix. less allergies, warm all year round, less hurricane chances (than our next choice: florida), and its only a 2 hour drive from a beach. great news that its big on tennis :D

Dude, im so happy for you... *HUG*....
your tennis should improve to no end once you move there....
:-D

jamauss
06-30-2006, 10:05 PM
What level do you play at?

Glendale is just west of downtown. We're looking in a area they call the Central Corridor which is just north of downtown. We also looked at a couple homes in what they call the Arrowhead area.

There are all kinds of clubs in Scottsdale as well.

I haven't been rated in a long time but I would guess I'm at 4.0 to 4.5 level. We'll have to keep in touch.

ricomon
07-02-2006, 12:11 PM
I guess if you call the river a beach. My sister wants me to move out there from SoCal. I can't make up my mind. I've been out there when it's been 116 in June and when it's been 41 in December.

goober
07-08-2006, 08:39 PM

Beaches are further than 2 hours. The closest point to the ocean from Phoenix is actually in Rocky Point Mexico which is about 4-4.5 hours away. Big on tennis is relative. I think the tennis scene in southern California is much bigger, but it is probaly a lot larger than what you are use to in Canada.

tennis_nerd22
10-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Beaches are further than 2 hours. The closest point to the ocean from Phoenix is actually in Rocky Point Mexico which is about 4-4.5 hours away. Big on tennis is relative. I think the tennis scene in southern California is much bigger, but it is probaly a lot larger than what you are use to in Canada.

ya buddy, tennis in alaska is probably bigger than the tennis in all of Canada... :rolleyes:

anyone else form Phoenix? or that area

johnkidd
10-03-2006, 12:25 PM
I'm still not there yet, looks like somtime in November. I am flying out there Saturday and will be there for a couple days.

LN_Dad
10-03-2006, 03:54 PM
I really like the Scottsdale area but I think I can only endure playing tennis there from 6am to 9am and 6pm to 9pm.

tursafinov
10-04-2006, 01:59 AM
Well I live in Scottsdale currently. I am a New Jersey native but only started to play when i moved out here. The best facilities that come to my mind are the La Camarilla Raquet Club in Phoenix, Desert Mountain Resort in Scottsdale(it's pretty upper-crust to be honest) wich has clay, grass, and hard courts and an on site pro-I can't remember the name just he's a doubles grand slam winner back in like the Lendl days. The MAIN PROBLEM lies in the numerous "Qualified" teaching Pros... Seriously It is very difficult to find a great coach here. Most want to rob you blind!

If you wan't any more information e-mail me: pumadonut@gmail.com

Maybe I'll see ya around.

johnkidd
10-04-2006, 05:23 AM
Well I live in Scottsdale currently. I am a New Jersey native but only started to play when i moved out here. The best facilities that come to my mind are the La Camarilla Raquet Club in Phoenix, Desert Mountain Resort in Scottsdale(it's pretty upper-crust to be honest) wich has clay, grass, and hard courts and an on site pro-I can't remember the name just he's a doubles grand slam winner back in like the Lendl days. The MAIN PROBLEM lies in the numerous "Qualified" teaching Pros... Seriously It is very difficult to find a great coach here. Most want to rob you blind!

If you wan't any more information e-mail me: pumadonut@gmail.com

Maybe I'll see ya around.

Is La Camarilla the club on Camalback heading towards Scottsdale? That's about 10 minutes from where our office is at (Biltmore Area on Camelback)

yemenmocha
10-04-2006, 10:50 AM
I live in the Arrowhead area that you were speaking of. I'm a 4.5 player but currently play in a 4.0 doubles league. There's a lot of good tennis in the valley. I'm a member at the Arrowhead CC and if you'd like I could introduce you to a few people and see if you're interested in that. It's not as expensive as a typical CC. The Phoenix tennis center is your next best bet. It's a public facility, but a very nice one, and the court fees are nominal. Send me a PM here through the site if you would like to meet up sometime at one of the tennis facilities.

Aaron

johnkidd
10-04-2006, 11:11 AM
I live in the Arrowhead area that you were speaking of. I'm a 4.5 player but currently play in a 4.0 doubles league. There's a lot of good tennis in the valley. I'm a member at the Arrowhead CC and if you'd like I could introduce you to a few people and see if you're interested in that. It's not as expensive as a typical CC. The Phoenix tennis center is your next best bet. It's a public facility, but a very nice one, and the court fees are nominal. Send me a PM here through the site if you would like to meet up sometime at one of the tennis facilities.

Aaron

I'm considering bringing my gear with me. What days do you usually play?

yemenmocha
10-04-2006, 11:30 AM
I have commitments Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Other nights and possibly some daytime play would work. Monday night is our "clinic" night (group lesson, $10, you could be a guest for that if you want).