PDA

View Full Version : Rios

looseswing
06-30-2006, 11:16 AM
I heard this guy was really good but never got to see him play. If he was at top form now would he be able to take on Nadal and Fed?

Moose Malloy
06-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Rios was one of the most spectacular tank artists in tennis history. He'd probably look at Nadal frothing at the mouth during the warmup & decide he had enough. or give it his best for a set then tank-75,61. I could see that being a common score when he played either Fed or Nadal.

It would be a fun matchup though, for a set.

BaseLineBash
06-30-2006, 11:41 AM
I heard this guy was really good but never got to see him play. If he was at top form now would he be able to take on Nadal and Fed?
He was VERY good, just no heart. It would be fun to watch him play against those two.

looseswing
06-30-2006, 11:50 AM
But lets say he theoretically played his best, no tanking for a match just effort, would he be on the same level as Nadal and even Federer?

BaseLineBash
06-30-2006, 11:55 AM
But lets say he theoretically played his best, no tanking for a match just effort, would he be on the same level as Nadal and even Federer?
If not, then close. He was a talent.

bcaz
06-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Overrated as a player overall -- very creative shotmaker, but other than a hot streak about 8-9 years ago, he wasn't any better than Hicham Arazi or Arnaud Clement.

Eviscerator
06-30-2006, 12:01 PM
He was VERY good, just no heart. It would be fun to watch him play against those two.

True, he was a waste of talent, and not only did he lack heart, but he lacked class as well. He seems to be a real loser in his life away from tennis as well.

BabolatFan
06-30-2006, 12:03 PM

Didn't know if he was that good. Slamless.

Shaolin
06-30-2006, 12:03 PM

Rios was an incredible talent but didnt really live up to his potential (besides reaching world #1 and winning lots of Masters Series titles). I have lots of Rios matches on dvd if you want to contact me.

oscar_2424
06-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Overrated as a player overall -- very creative shotmaker, but other than a hot streak about 8-9 years ago, he wasn't any better than Hicham Arazi or Arnaud Clement.
You have to be kidding to compare Rios to those players

textbook strokes
06-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Is it true that tennis magazine lebeled him as "The most hated man in the pro tour"?.
I heard an anecdote about him being ****ed off 'cause he did'n have a seat at the player's lounge and then telling Seles -"You shold be at the trainning court losing some weigth instead of wasting time talking here"-.
Not a really nice guy... although Krajicek also said something about the fat players in the wta tour.

Moose Malloy
06-30-2006, 12:37 PM
although Krajicek also said something about the fat players in the wta tour.

yeah, but krajicek didn't say that to their face!

the rios-seles story is true. such a nice girl, didn't deserve to be insulted like that.

it was SI that had the article, not tennis, titled "most hated man in tennis"

looseswing
06-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Shaolin that would be incredible if you could get me a match. I really want to see this guy play now.

Shaolin
06-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Shaolin that would be incredible if you could get me a match. I really want to see this guy play now.

you can email me at michaelmoses15@hotmail.com

looseswing
07-01-2006, 06:19 AM
Shaolin, did you recieve my email?

35ft6
07-01-2006, 06:37 AM
He would have a shot against Federer on clay, he might even be the fave on that surface, and I can imagine them having an incredible shot making contest on fast courts. Federer would have the definite edge on hard courts.

Against Nadal, at his best, he would have a slight edge on hard courts. I'm talking at his best, as in he's motivated, has fighting spirit, plus his feet and hands are in top form. In that mode, I would put a 100% Rios above a 100% Nadal on hard courts.

On clay, I give the edge to Nadal but it would be an interesting match. His mule kick crosscourt forehands would be going right into Rios forehand, which he could place on a dot, at any pace, all with the same motion when he was on. Rios and Guga are the two players I would loved to have seen challenge Nadal on clay at their best.

HotCarl
07-01-2006, 07:20 AM
Rios was extremely talented but he was such a sullen ******* that it made it hard to appreciate. How can someone that good at tennis act like he hates be on the court, not having fun?